FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#1502246 --- 07/23/17 07:42 PM Re: So, is Seneca Falls unfriendly? [Re: scwoodchuck]
Timbo Offline
Silver Member

Loc: CNY
Originally Posted By: scwoodchuck
Lower taxes mean lower prices for goods produced and therefore more competitive.

Tax cuts simply fail to create growth consistently or for the long term.
http://www.businessinsider.com/study-tax-cuts-dont-lead-to-growth-2012-9
http://www.taxpolicycenter.org/briefing-book/what-effect-lower-tax-rate-capital-gains

CBO Finds Tax Cuts Are Bad for the Economy:
http://www.crfb.org/blogs/cbo-finds-tax-cuts-are-bad-economy

FingerLakes1.com
#1502269 --- 07/24/17 09:49 AM Re: So, is Seneca Falls unfriendly? [Re: Timbo]
Hello_Governer Offline

Loc: New York, Seneca
I would debate the issue with you but when you start losing the arguement you will start crying that I'm off topic. Both you and klye are good at changing the subject then cry FOUL.

#1502270 --- 07/24/17 10:03 AM Re: So, is Seneca Falls unfriendly? [Re: Timbo]
Hello_Governer Offline

That's why New York State is doing so well, we have the highest taxes.

#1502291 --- 07/24/17 11:56 AM Re: So, is Seneca Falls unfriendly? [Re: Here's Johnny]
deadphilosopher Offline

Loc: New York
Wow, I didn't think this would happen. This is a thread that was about a claim that Seneca falls is Unfriendly. Kyle tried derailing it to a Landfill thread which stopped rather quickly.
But now it has derailed to Trump and taxes. Let's try to get back to the subject. Seneca Falls has become unfriendly because of several things. 1. The National Park does not promote the area well. 2. The local community is tired of outsiders coming in and telling them what to do. 3. The Town itself is a disaster and people are not happy with how it is being ran. 4. Tourists that come here are not the most pleasant either. I have had tourists give me a hard time in Seneca Falls. 6. The biggest problem is that most people are friendly in Seneca falls, But there is a segment of the population that is very rude in this town. They have been here for a long time for generations in fact and it seems to be some families. What I see is that the residents need to look at what this town is like compared to 10 years ago, 20 years ago and see what has changed. It boils down to 3 things Lost of employment, the increase of Social Service recipients that were moved here or came here for the services, and the lack of reasons to be proud of the town. Anyone remember when Convention Days was a Huge ordeal or when St Anthonies festival was something to go to or when there was a parade downtown and entertainment was available? Canal fest is OK but it is not enough. Seneca Falls needs to do a lot of soul searching but the biggest problem is that it needs to fix it's leadership and get rid of some of the excess that the town has created in the past few years. But the only way to do that is to have the masses make their voices be heard. What would happen at a town board meeting if 5000 voters showed up? What would happen if 5000 residents started calling the elected clowns demanding to be heard? The problem is that the parties and the politicians have divided the masses. Remember a divided house will fall. So let's fix the problem as a group ignoring the politicians and the leaders of the political parties. There is no need for that especially at the local level we should be looking out for each other and the town itself. just some random thoughts on how to fix the problems with Seneca Falls and to answer yes to some degree Seneca Falls is unfriendly but it can be fixed and everyone will be better off. Unfortunately, this is only philosophy because the people won't come together as on voice.

#1502292 --- 07/24/17 12:12 PM Re: So, is Seneca Falls unfriendly? [Re: Hello_Governer]
Timbo Offline
Silver Member

Originally Posted By: Timbo
Lower taxes mean lower prices for goods produced and therefore more competitive.

Tax cuts simply fail to create growth consistently or for the long term.
http://www.businessinsider.com/study-tax-cuts-dont-lead-to-growth-2012-9
http://www.taxpolicycenter.org/briefing-book/what-effect-lower-tax-rate-capital-gains

CBO Finds Tax Cuts Are Bad for the Economy:
http://www.crfb.org/blogs/cbo-finds-tax-cuts-are-bad-economy
Originally Posted By: Hello_Governer
I would debate the issue with you but when you start losing the arguement you will start crying that I'm off topic. Both you and klye are good at changing the subject then cry FOUL.

You won't debate me because history repeatedly bears out the fact that there's no debating it.

#1502293 --- 07/24/17 12:18 PM Re: So, is Seneca Falls unfriendly? [Re: Hello_Governer]
Timbo Offline
Silver Member

No, we have the drain of New York City, corporate welfare/tax loopholes and NAFTA.

Facts are funny that way.

#1502305 --- 07/24/17 01:38 PM Re: So, is Seneca Falls unfriendly? [Re: Here's Johnny]
hearallseeall Offline

Loc: nolongerunder10pilesoftrash
Originally Posted By: http://fingerlakes1.com/2017/07/18/seneca-falls-community-unfriendly-to-intolerant-of-visitors/
She offered an example. Ghazala hired a man from California who was fluent in both English and Spanish. One day while at a local eatery, the man was speaking Spanish on the phone. He was told he was being rude and was asked to leave the establishment. The next day, the man resigned from his position at the park.

Did they specifically say he was being rude for speaking Spanish? Maybe it was because he was talking loud and being obnoxious to the other paying customers in the local eatery.

Sounds like the guy was a little too sensitive and his bubble got popped. He quit his job over this? Wow. Probably better that he fired himself anyways. Why should we automatically assume that he was the victim. Maybe it was the other people that were the victims of hearing this loud mouth. This guy couldn't even give the proper notice. He left his job with a moments notice. A supervisor is really defending someone like this??

#1502316 --- 07/24/17 04:01 PM Re: So, is Seneca Falls unfriendly? [Re: Timbo]
scwoodchuck Offline

Loc: LOST IN SPACE
Originally Posted By: Timbo

No, we have the drain of New York City, corporate welfare/tax loopholes and NAFTA.

Facts are funny that way.

Your facts are real funny, do you get them from comic books ?
http://www.rockinst.org/observations/wardr/2011-12-giving_getting.aspx

#1502317 --- 07/24/17 04:12 PM Re: So, is Seneca Falls unfriendly? [Re: hearallseeall]
scwoodchuck Offline

Originally Posted By: hearallseeall
Originally Posted By: http://fingerlakes1.com/2017/07/18/seneca-falls-community-unfriendly-to-intolerant-of-visitors/
She offered an example. Ghazala hired a man from California who was fluent in both English and Spanish. One day while at a local eatery, the man was speaking Spanish on the phone. He was told he was being rude and was asked to leave the establishment. The next day, the man resigned from his position at the park.

Did they specifically say he was being rude for speaking Spanish? Maybe it was because he was talking loud and being obnoxious to the other paying customers in the local eatery.

Sounds like the guy was a little too sensitive and his bubble got popped. He quit his job over this? Wow. Probably better that he fired himself anyways. Why should we automatically assume that he was the victim. Maybe it was the other people that were the victims of hearing this loud mouth. This guy couldn't even give the proper notice. He left his job with a moments notice. A supervisor is really defending someone like this??

Ghazala may be stretching the truth a little bit grin

#1502321 --- 07/24/17 07:52 PM Re: So, is Seneca Falls unfriendly? [Re: Here's Johnny]
Here's Johnny Offline

Maybe she simply tried to shed light on the problem. Of course Ms. Ghazala really never stood a chance trying to express her concerns. Let's hope that someone will see the importance of her comments. Think about it. One of the most important sites in the world for the improvement of human rights is still trying to sell the idea to the locals. People from around the world come here. How ironic it must seem when they can't feel welcome.

#1502347 --- 07/24/17 08:49 PM Re: So, is Seneca Falls unfriendly? [Re: Here's Johnny]
scwoodchuck Offline

Tourist's can be a problem too ya know, at times they can be very rude. Ghazala just might get in trouble with her boss over this. Let's just wait and see if she gets transferred. Any bets ?

#1502371 --- 07/25/17 07:09 AM Re: So, is Seneca Falls unfriendly? [Re: deadphilosopher]
Hello_Governer Offline

Originally Posted By: deadphilosopher
Wow, I didn't think this would happen. This is a thread that was about a claim that Seneca falls is Unfriendly. Kyle tried derailing it to a Landfill thread which stopped rather quickly.
But now it has derailed to Trump and taxes. Let's try to get back to the subject. Seneca Falls has become unfriendly because of several things. 1. The National Park does not promote the area well. 2. The local community is tired of outsiders coming in and telling them what to do. 3. The Town itself is a disaster and people are not happy with how it is being ran. 4. Tourists that come here are not the most pleasant either. I have had tourists give me a hard time in Seneca Falls. 6. The biggest problem is that most people are friendly in Seneca falls, But there is a segment of the population that is very rude in this town. They have been here for a long time for generations in fact and it seems to be some families. What I see is that the residents need to look at what this town is like compared to 10 years ago, 20 years ago and see what has changed. It boils down to 3 things Lost of employment, the increase of Social Service recipients that were moved here or came here for the services, and the lack of reasons to be proud of the town. Anyone remember when Convention Days was a Huge ordeal or when St Anthonies festival was something to go to or when there was a parade downtown and entertainment was available? Canal fest is OK but it is not enough. Seneca Falls needs to do a lot of soul searching but the biggest problem is that it needs to fix it's leadership and get rid of some of the excess that the town has created in the past few years. But the only way to do that is to have the masses make their voices be heard. What would happen at a town board meeting if 5000 voters showed up? What would happen if 5000 residents started calling the elected clowns demanding to be heard? The problem is that the parties and the politicians have divided the masses. Remember a divided house will fall. So let's fix the problem as a group ignoring the politicians and the leaders of the political parties. There is no need for that especially at the local level we should be looking out for each other and the town itself. just some random thoughts on how to fix the problems with Seneca Falls and to answer yes to some degree Seneca Falls is unfriendly but it can be fixed and everyone will be better off. Unfortunately, this is only philosophy because the people won't come together as on voice.
DEADPHILPHILOSOPHER you are both right and wrong Seneca Falls has always been a divided unfriendly community. Seneca Falls doesn't want to " BE FIXED "

#1502379 --- 07/25/17 09:32 AM Re: So, is Seneca Falls unfriendly? [Re: scwoodchuck]
Here's Johnny Offline

Tourist's can be a problem too ya know, at times they can be very rude. Ghazala just might get in trouble with her boss over this. Let's just wait and see if she gets transferred. Any bets ?

Sadly some can be tagged for rudeness but tourists leave. Those who live here are responsible for the perception. This tail can not wag the dog.

#1502387 --- 07/25/17 10:33 AM Re: So, is Seneca Falls unfriendly? [Re: Here's Johnny]
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Houston, TX
Originally Posted By: Here's Johnny
Maybe she simply tried to shed light on the problem. Of course Ms. Ghazala really never stood a chance trying to express her concerns. Let's hope that someone will see the importance of her comments. Think about it. One of the most important sites in the world for the improvement of human rights is still trying to sell the idea to the locals. People from around the world come here. How ironic it must seem when they can't feel welcome.

People who were born & raised come home and experience similar issues. It's a pretty common topic of conversation among SF "ex-pats" and it's a shame that people don't take it more seriously. The comments on the FL1 page were very revealing, and quite disappointing.

#1502518 --- 07/27/17 03:53 PM Re: So, is Seneca Falls unfriendly? [Re: Here's Johnny]
Top Dog Offline

Loc: Lap Dog
Did Ghazala have anything to say about the Mounties disdain for heterosexual coworkers?

#1502564 --- 07/28/17 03:45 PM Re: So, is Seneca Falls unfriendly? [Re: Top Dog]
DR. D Offline

Loc: Waterloo/Seneca Falls/Junius/T...
Originally Posted By: Top Dog
Did Ghazala have anything to say about the Mounties disdain for heterosexual coworkers?

Ok, now you have peeked my interest....what do you mean?

#1502573 --- 07/28/17 09:02 PM Re: So, is Seneca Falls unfriendly? [Re: DR. D]
Top Dog Offline

Loc: Lap Dog
I am accusing National Park employees of being biased against heterosexual employees.

#1502575 --- 07/29/17 06:26 AM Re: So, is Seneca Falls unfriendly? [Re: Top Dog]
DR. D Offline

Loc: Waterloo/Seneca Falls/Junius/T...
Originally Posted By: Top Dog
I am accusing National Park employees of being biased against heterosexual employees.

No need to accuse anyone, just as with her statement I hear the same.

#1502643 --- 07/31/17 12:50 PM Re: So, is Seneca Falls unfriendly? [Re: Here's Johnny]
KRedfoot Offline

Loc: NY
I was at the meeting when Ghazala spoke to the board about this young man leaving because he felt unwelcome. She described it as a situation where he simply was speaking Spanish on the phone, the business owner or worker overheard him speaking Spanish and told him to leave and go back to where he came from (or similar language to that). It had nothing to do with being loud or obnoxious to anyone in the establishment. This is a situation of intolerance. To blame the victim and call them a name is to support the intolerance. Seneca Falls cannot grow in tourism if such behavior is tolerated.

Imagine you were some place where everyone spoke another language, you are bilingual and use another language when speaking to a friend or relative on the phone while at a business. Suddenly the business owner yells at you and tells you to go back where you came from. With the increase of hate crimes in this country, I can imagine that I would perhaps feel "unsafe" in a community that treated me that way. Would I stay there? I don't think so.

If nothing else, this situation does merit a discussion about how Seneca Falls treats tourists / outsiders. There are many closed storefronts in downtown Seneca Falls. They will not reopen if Seneca Falls is not seen as a welcoming community, whether it be for health reasons because of the dump or because the business community is intolerant.

#1502648 --- 07/31/17 02:24 PM Re: So, is Seneca Falls unfriendly? [Re: KRedfoot]
Timbo Offline
Silver Member

Originally Posted By: KRedfoot
I was at the meeting when Ghazala spoke to the board about this young man leaving because he felt unwelcome. She described it as a situation where he simply was speaking Spanish on the phone, the business owner or worker overheard him speaking Spanish and told him to leave and go back to where he came from (or similar language to that). It had nothing to do with being loud or obnoxious to anyone in the establishment. This is a situation of intolerance. To blame the victim and call them a name is to support the intolerance. Seneca Falls cannot grow in tourism if such behavior is tolerated.

Imagine you were some place where everyone spoke another language, you are bilingual and use another language when speaking to a friend or relative on the phone while at a business. Suddenly the business owner yells at you and tells you to go back where you came from. With the increase of hate crimes in this country, I can imagine that I would perhaps feel "unsafe" in a community that treated me that way. Would I stay there? I don't think so.

If nothing else, this situation does merit a discussion about how Seneca Falls treats tourists / outsiders. There are many closed storefronts in downtown Seneca Falls. They will not reopen if Seneca Falls is not seen as a welcoming community, whether it be for health reasons because of the dump or because the business community is intolerant.

Especially in light of the fact that within a couple decades, the hispanic population in the US is projected to outnumber all others.

Bad mojo, any way you slice it.

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >