Topic Options
#1500730 --- 06/30/17 05:45 PM Seneca Lake’s coal legacy
all seeing eye Offline

Loc: Seneca Lake
WRITE ON: Seneca Lake’s coal legacy
By MICHAEL FITZGERALD
Finger Lakes Times
6-30-2017
You might think a documentary about the coal industry wouldn’t be of interest to Finger Lakes residents.

We have no coal-rich mountains towering over us for coal-mining corporations to flatten using mountaintop removal techniques. We don’t have tightly controlled company towns, built, owned and ruled by coal barons and their minions. And as coal use has declined, even uncovered rail cars leaving coal dust in their wake as they pass through our area are a rare sight.

But the just-released documentary about the coal industry — “From The Ashes” — shown in Penn Yan last Friday night and broadcast nationwide Sunday on cable television, connects the past and the present environmental impact of coal use in our area.

The film also is available for a short time on outlets such as YouTube and Facebook.

The 90-minute film documents the rise and fall of the coal industry in the U.S. with plenty of discussion about the problems of coal mining and coal use — environmentally, financially and socially.

Unfortunately, it isn’t a distant and disconnected concern in the Finger Lakes.

The film brings the narrative right to Seneca Lake where the legacy of many decades of industrial coal use at the Dresden power plant lurks, connecting water pollution with coal mining.

Since before World War II, the Dresden power plant — officially known today as Greenidge Generation — was burning coal to generate electricity. Dresden residents recount tales of long trains of uncovered coal cars rumbling through town to feed the hungry power station.

The plant closed in 2011 and was set to be dismantled by a salvage company until Atlas Holdings took it over. In 2014, it announced it would restart the plant — again burning coal — with plans to switch to burning biomass and natural gas.

That plan was discarded in 2015 in favor of using natural gas with the possibility of someday using solar power.

Compared to coal, burning natural gas is often considered nearly squeaky clean, provided you don’t take into consideration the manifold problems associated with the hydrofracking process.

But the many years of coal burning left a nasty environmental mess behind at the Lockwood Ash Landfill, where coal ash residue sits in an unlined pond, a pond the New York Department of Environmental Conservation has labeled a serious problem.

“Groundwater at the site contains substances in excess of the duly promulgated water quality standards for total dissolved solids, boron, manganese, magnesium, iron, sodium and sulfate,” the DEC said in 2015.

The “ ... leachate pond is a source of the substances and has contributed and continues to contribute to a contravention of duly promulgated water quality standards.”

How harmful such chemicals — and others found in coal ash — might be to groundwater, or in a body of freshwater like Seneca Lake, are explained graphically in the new film.

The DEC’s concerns were serious enough to prompt the Seneca Lake Pure Waters Association to begin collecting water samples in the Keuka Outlet upstream and downstream of the Lockwood Ash Landfill to determine the type and volume of chemicals that might be leaching into the watershed.

The restarting of the Greenidge Generation facility was opposed by many local environmental groups, who focused on whether there really was a need for more electricity, citing the impact of air pollution and of dumping millions of gallons of hot power plant cooling water daily into Seneca Lake.

The coal ash pile problems got lost in the blur of those questions.

After reviewing the coal ash pond and dump in early 2015, the DEC ordered Lockwood Landfill “to eliminate the discharge of leachate to groundwater and to monitor the groundwater impacted by the discharge.”

But two years later, it seems DEC hasn’t made any serious move to enforce that order, even as rain pours down filling — and perhaps overfilling — the coal ash pond.

Maybe a viewing of “From the Ashes” is in order for the DEC staff.

Seneca Lake's Coal Legacy

FingerLakes1.com
#1500876 --- 07/04/17 09:55 PM Re: Seneca Lake’s coal legacy [Re: all seeing eye]
gassy one Offline

Originally Posted By: all seeing eye
WRITE ON: Seneca Lake’s coal legacy
By MICHAEL FITZGERALD
Finger Lakes Times
6-30-2017
You might think a documentary about the coal industry wouldn’t be of interest to Finger Lakes residents.

We have no coal-rich mountains towering over us for coal-mining corporations to flatten using mountaintop removal techniques. We don’t have tightly controlled company towns, built, owned and ruled by coal barons and their minions. And as coal use has declined, even uncovered rail cars leaving coal dust in their wake as they pass through our area are a rare sight.

But the just-released documentary about the coal industry — “From The Ashes” — shown in Penn Yan last Friday night and broadcast nationwide Sunday on cable television, connects the past and the present environmental impact of coal use in our area.

The film also is available for a short time on outlets such as YouTube and Facebook.

The 90-minute film documents the rise and fall of the coal industry in the U.S. with plenty of discussion about the problems of coal mining and coal use — environmentally, financially and socially.

Unfortunately, it isn’t a distant and disconnected concern in the Finger Lakes.

The film brings the narrative right to Seneca Lake where the legacy of many decades of industrial coal use at the Dresden power plant lurks, connecting water pollution with coal mining.

Since before World War II, the Dresden power plant — officially known today as Greenidge Generation — was burning coal to generate electricity. Dresden residents recount tales of long trains of uncovered coal cars rumbling through town to feed the hungry power station.

The plant closed in 2011 and was set to be dismantled by a salvage company until Atlas Holdings took it over. In 2014, it announced it would restart the plant — again burning coal — with plans to switch to burning biomass and natural gas.

That plan was discarded in 2015 in favor of using natural gas with the possibility of someday using solar power.

Compared to coal, burning natural gas is often considered nearly squeaky clean, provided you don’t take into consideration the manifold problems associated with the hydrofracking process.

But the many years of coal burning left a nasty environmental mess behind at the Lockwood Ash Landfill, where coal ash residue sits in an unlined pond, a pond the New York Department of Environmental Conservation has labeled a serious problem.

“Groundwater at the site contains substances in excess of the duly promulgated water quality standards for total dissolved solids, boron, manganese, magnesium, iron, sodium and sulfate,” the DEC said in 2015.

The “ ... leachate pond is a source of the substances and has contributed and continues to contribute to a contravention of duly promulgated water quality standards.”

How harmful such chemicals — and others found in coal ash — might be to groundwater, or in a body of freshwater like Seneca Lake, are explained graphically in the new film.

The DEC’s concerns were serious enough to prompt the Seneca Lake Pure Waters Association to begin collecting water samples in the Keuka Outlet upstream and downstream of the Lockwood Ash Landfill to determine the type and volume of chemicals that might be leaching into the watershed.

The restarting of the Greenidge Generation facility was opposed by many local environmental groups, who focused on whether there really was a need for more electricity, citing the impact of air pollution and of dumping millions of gallons of hot power plant cooling water daily into Seneca Lake.

The coal ash pile problems got lost in the blur of those questions.

After reviewing the coal ash pond and dump in early 2015, the DEC ordered Lockwood Landfill “to eliminate the discharge of leachate to groundwater and to monitor the groundwater impacted by the discharge.”

But two years later, it seems DEC hasn’t made any serious move to enforce that order, even as rain pours down filling — and perhaps overfilling — the coal ash pond.

Maybe a viewing of “From the Ashes” is in order for the DEC staff.

Seneca Lake's Coal Legacy

This Fitzgerald guy is a real crackpot!

#1500883 --- 07/04/17 10:51 PM Re: Seneca Lake’s coal legacy [Re: gassy one]
all seeing eye Offline

Not sure I understand.

Are his facts wrong?

If so, how?

#1500922 --- 07/05/17 10:07 PM Re: Seneca Lake’s coal legacy [Re: all seeing eye]
gassy one Offline

Not sure I understand.

Are his facts wrong?

If so, how?
Read some of his columns in the Finger Lakes Times!

#1500966 --- 07/06/17 02:56 PM Re: Seneca Lake’s coal legacy [Re: gassy one]
Timbo Offline
Silver Member

Loc: CNY
Originally Posted By: gassy one
Not sure I understand.

Are his facts wrong?

If so, how?

No. You're the one making a personal attack on an opinion piece.

It's YOUR obligation to explain your baseless insults and characterizations, no one else's.

#1500976 --- 07/06/17 09:52 PM Re: Seneca Lake’s coal legacy [Re: Timbo]
gassy one Offline

Originally Posted By: Timbo
Not sure I understand.

Are his facts wrong?

If so, how?

It's YOUR obligation to explain your baseless insults and characterizations, no one else's.
I didn't make any attack BIMBO! All I said was read his articles and you will know which way he leans and how he picks and chooses his arguments! I can gladly give examples!

Edited by gassy one (07/06/17 09:54 PM)

#1501021 --- 07/07/17 08:40 PM Re: Seneca Lake’s coal legacy [Re: gassy one]
all seeing eye Offline

Gassy,

I think Timbo and are both asking the same thing.

What is factually incorrect with this article?

You are complaining about his opinions, which he is allowed to have. What is wrong with the facts in this article?

Not sure I understand.

Are his facts wrong?

If so, how?

I didn't make any attack BIMBO! All I said was read his articles and you will know which way he leans and how he picks and chooses his arguments! I can gladly give examples!

#1501024 --- 07/07/17 10:03 PM Re: Seneca Lake’s coal legacy [Re: all seeing eye]
gassy one Offline

Gassy,

You are complaining about his opinions, which he is allowed to have. What is wrong with the facts in this article?

Not sure I understand.

Are his facts wrong?

If so, how?

dumping millions of gallons of hot power plant cooling water daily into Seneca Lake. #1 The plant doesn't dump hot cooling water into the lake! The cooling water goes through a cooling tower before it goes back into the lake! The water has to be down to a certain temp before it goes back into the lake per DEC permit. Work was done on the ash pond to bring it up to DEC specs a little while ago. This guy writes articles that are factually incorrect either intentionally or because he just has no idea what he is talking about!

#1501092 --- 07/08/17 10:56 PM Re: Seneca Lake’s coal legacy [Re: gassy one]
gassy one Offline

If it wasn't for the FLT liberal leaning paper this joker wouldn't even exist! He and David Shaw make a great pair!

Edited by gassy one (07/08/17 10:59 PM)

#1501121 --- 07/09/17 06:30 PM Re: Seneca Lake’s coal legacy [Re: gassy one]
all seeing eye Offline

"The draft permit authorized discharges into Keuka Outlet “of condenser cooling water with a maximum temperature of 108 degrees F in summer and 86 F in winter, outfall 02a discharge, and unit 4 boiler blowdown."

The plant uses an "open cooling" system, where up to 190,000,000 gallons of water PER DAY from Seneca Lake are withdrawn and used to cool the steam:

Once-through systems take water from nearby sources (e.g., rivers, lakes, aquifers, or the ocean), circulate it through pipes to absorb heat from the steam in systems called condensers, and discharge the now warmer water to the local source. Once-through systems were initially the most popular because of their simplicity, low cost, and the possibility of siting power plants in places with abundant supplies of cooling water. This type of system is currently widespread in the eastern U.S. Very few new power plants use once-through cooling, however, because of the disruptions such systems cause to local ecosystems from the significant water withdrawals involved and because of the increased difficulty in siting power plants near available water sources.

How it works water for power plant cooling

Combined with the sewage from the Penn Yan plant, warm water is a perfect opportunity to grow harmful algae blooms.

Gassy,

Not sure I understand.

Are his facts wrong?

If so, how?

dumping millions of gallons of hot power plant cooling water daily into Seneca Lake. #1 The plant doesn't dump hot cooling water into the lake! The cooling water goes through a cooling tower before it goes back into the lake! The water has to be down to a certain temp before it goes back into the lake per DEC permit. Work was done on the ash pond to bring it up to DEC specs a little while ago. This guy writes articles that are factually incorrect either intentionally or because he just has no idea what he is talking about!

#1501125 --- 07/09/17 07:15 PM Re: Seneca Lake’s coal legacy [Re: all seeing eye]
Mean Gene Offline

Loc: Yates County
That is informative, although the amount of water drawn from Seneca Lake is minor in relation to the lakes volume. I would be surprised if that was an eco system issue. "Sewage from Penn Yan"? All sewage is treated and the water when discharged is treated and meets all of DEC requirements.

Everyone wants to see that our lakes remain healthy. The revamped power plant is a much needed shot in the arm for Yates County. Switching out from Coal is sure a plus.

#1501131 --- 07/09/17 08:30 PM Re: Seneca Lake’s coal legacy [Re: Mean Gene]
all seeing eye Offline

May I suggest that you visit the EPA website and take a look at the report on the Penn Yan Sewage Treatment Plant:

EPA Penn Yan Facility Report

According to the report, based on data submitted by the DEC, the plant is in significant violation this quarter. It was in significant violation for 7 of the last 12 quarters and in non-compliance 3 other quarters.

You might also want to review the PT MUB minutes. The June Minutes included the statement:

 WWTP needs to answer the letter of non-compliance by July 15 and get this proposal by September 15

The minutes do not detail what the non-compliance entailed, specifically, but the EPA report suggests exceedances in phosphorus and solids.

Sounds like DEC and EPA disagree with your assessment.

Originally Posted By: Mean Gene
That is informative, although the amount of water drawn from Seneca Lake is minor in relation to the lakes volume. I would be surprised if that was an eco system issue. "Sewage from Penn Yan"? All sewage is treated and the water when discharged is treated and meets all of DEC requirements.

Everyone wants to see that our lakes remain healthy. The revamped power plant is a much needed shot in the arm for Yates County. Switching out from Coal is sure a plus.

#1501132 --- 07/09/17 09:43 PM Re: Seneca Lake’s coal legacy [Re: all seeing eye]
gassy one Offline

One of the bigger factors for degradation of water in the lakes is vineyards! Where do you think the fertilizers,pesticides and herbicides end up after usage on a side hill? Nobody will speak up about that though because it is politicly unpopular! There is always bad with the good!

#1501138 --- 07/09/17 10:03 PM Re: Seneca Lake’s coal legacy [Re: all seeing eye]
gassy one Offline

The violations are partly caused by the yogurt plant. They are going to have to pre-treat their waste so the sewer plant can handle it.

#1501159 --- 07/09/17 11:06 PM Re: Seneca Lake’s coal legacy [Re: gassy one]
all seeing eye Offline

Sorry, Gassy, trying to shift the blame to major employers , like the yogurt or wine industry, from the disappointing hiring at the plant, isn't fair.

Let's just say we all have to do better. And the plant should clean up the ash landfill.

#1501183 --- 07/10/17 10:57 AM Re: Seneca Lake’s coal legacy [Re: all seeing eye]
gassy one Offline

Sorry, Gassy, trying to shift the blame to major employers , like the yogurt or wine industry, from the disappointing hiring at the plant, isn't fair.

Let's just say we all have to do better. And the plant should clean up the ash landfill.
I agree with that and it will be done but you were talking about the PY sewer plant which is in violation because of the Yogurt plant and Seneca Lake algae blooms which vineyards are a big contributing factor!

Edited by gassy one (07/10/17 10:58 AM)

#1501245 --- 07/10/17 04:09 PM Re: Seneca Lake’s coal legacy [Re: all seeing eye]
scwoodchuck Online   content

Loc: LOST IN SPACE
Not sure I understand.

Are his facts wrong?

If so, how?
Well ,first the supposed chemicals are natural elements found in most ground water.
Second he fails to give the results of any TESTING that was done.
Third, as a result the DEC hasn't taken any action but no reason is given.
Fourth the hot water is not discharged directly into the lake but is instead discharged into a man made channel then mixed with cooler water from the Keuka Lake outlet. So what is the actual temperature of the water as it enters the lake.
Fifth, the warmer water is beneficial to wildlife.
In my opinion the entire article is misleading.

#1501251 --- 07/10/17 08:56 PM Re: Seneca Lake’s coal legacy [Re: scwoodchuck]
all seeing eye Offline

Here is a quote from the 2015 Consent Order signed by Lockwood agreeing to the violations and admitting to violating its permits for hazardous waste and effluent discharge:

ELEVENTH. The SPDES and Part 360 Permits as well as an Environmental Monitoring Plan and Site Analytical Plan dated February 2007, required groundwater, surface water and leachate monitoring and reporting.

TWELFTH. Based upon a review of information provided pursuant to the above Permits and Plan, the Department has determined that groundwater at the site contains substances in excess of the duly promulgated water quality standards for, inter alia, total dissolved solids, boron, manganese, magnesium, iron, sodium and sulfate.

THIRTEENTH. The Department believes that the Leachate Pond is a source of the substances and has contributed and continues to contribute to a contravention of duly promulgated water quality standards in violation of ECL § 17-0501 and 6 NYCRR § 360-1.14(b)(2).

FOURTEENTH. The discharge of leachate to groundwater from the Leachate Pond.is not permitted or otherwise authorized by the Department.

FIFTEENTH. Each violation heretofore stated, is subject to the sanctions authorized by ECL Article 71, Titles 19 and 27.

SIXTEENTH. Representatives of Lockwood Hills and the Department have
conferred and have agreed to execute this Consent Order (the "Consent Order'') in settlement of the violations related to the groundwater discharges described and identified herein.

Originally Posted By: scwoodchuck
Not sure I understand.

Are his facts wrong?

If so, how?
Well ,first the supposed chemicals are natural elements found in most ground water.
Second he fails to give the results of any TESTING that was done.
Third, as a result the DEC hasn't taken any action but no reason is given.
Fourth the hot water is not discharged directly into the lake but is instead discharged into a man made channel then mixed with cooler water from the Keuka Lake outlet. So what is the actual temperature of the water as it enters the lake.
Fifth, the warmer water is beneficial to wildlife.
In my opinion the entire article is misleading.

#1501270 --- 07/11/17 07:09 AM Re: Seneca Lake’s coal legacy [Re: all seeing eye]

boron, manganese, magnesium, iron, sodium and sulfate.are not chemicals.

http://www.waterencyclopedia.com/En-Ge/Fresh-Water-Natural-Contaminants-in.html

Edited by scwoodchuck (07/11/17 07:14 AM)

#1501283 --- 07/11/17 08:45 AM Re: Seneca Lake’s coal legacy [Re: scwoodchuck]
all seeing eye Offline

Maybe you should share your theory with DEC and they can withdraw the consent order and Lockwood can stop the corrective action.

PS, all of these chemicals are toxic in high enough quantities, which is why there are discharge limits.

boron, manganese, magnesium, iron, sodium and sulfate.are not chemicals.

http://www.waterencyclopedia.com/En-Ge/Fresh-Water-Natural-Contaminants-in.html

#1501290 --- 07/11/17 12:04 PM Re: Seneca Lake’s coal legacy [Re: all seeing eye]

All sources of drinking water contain some naturally occurring contaminants. As water flows in streams, sits in lakes, and filters through layers of soil and rock it dissolves or absorbs the substances that it touches. According to its exposure, water transforms in composition and in physical parameters.

Aluminum (Al) Low level exposure is not thought to harm your health. Aluminum, however is not a necessary substance for our bodies and too much may be harmful. (Federal Limit 0.05 – 0.2 mg/L)

Antimony (Sb) Above the EPA limit antimony may potentially cause nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Antimony is a known/potential drinking water human carcinogen. (Federal Limit 0.006 mg/L)

Arsenic (As) Arsenic is a known human carcinogen. (Federal Limit 0.010 mg/L)

Barium (Ba) Symptoms of barium poisoning include increased blood pressure, changes in heart rhythm, stomach irritation, and muscle weakness. (Federal Limit 2.0 mg/L)

Beryllium (Be) Beryllium is a probable human carcinogen. (Federal Limit 0.004mg/L)

Boron (B) Exceptionally toxic to some plants. If you have problems with growing plants, it could be the water and not your green thumb! (Toxic range for plants is 1.0-4.0 mg/L)

Cadmium (Cd) Symptoms of cadmium poisoning include cramps, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Long term exposure to lower levels of cadmium leads to kidney disease, lung damage and fragile bones. (Federal Limit 0.005mg/L)

Calcium (Ca) Calcium is an important contributor to water hardness. (No Federal Limit)

Conductivity: Conductivity gives an approximate determination of the amount of dissolved minerals in the water. (No Limit)

Chromium (Cr) Above the EPA limit chromium may potentially cause skin irritation or ulceration. Long term exposures to chromium may cause damage to liver, kidney, circulatory, and nerve tissues. (Federal Limit 0.1 mg/L)

Copper (Cu) Causes staining of fixtures, hair, and fabrics and can impart a bitter taste to water. It can cause stomach irritation and vomiting. (Federal Limit 1.0 mg/L)

Fecal Coliform Bacteria and Escherichia coli (E. coli) Present in the intestines of mammals. In the laboratory, coliforms are used as indicators of fecal contamination of ground and surface waters. Water sources containing any coliforms must be treated before consumption.

Fluoride (F) Long term effects are a permanent brown staining of the teeth, destruction of tooth enamel, brittle and easily broken bones, painful and stiff joints. (Federal Limit 4.0 mg/L, Oregon limit 2.0 mg/L)

Hardness is usually attributed to the calcium and magnesium ions. These ions combine with soap, forming an insoluble precipitate visible as scum and rings around fixtures. (Federal Limit 250 mg/L)

Iron (Fe) When iron comes in contact with oxygen, it oxidizes to a visible reddish compound that settles out as a rust-like material that stains clothing and fixtures. (Federal Limit 0.3 mg/L)

Lead (Pb) Symptoms of lead poisoning include tiredness and aching bones. (Federal Limit 0.015 mg/L)

Lithium (Li) Occurs naturally in Southern Oregon and is currently being monitored by NRC. (No Limit)

Magnesium (Mg) Magnesium is an important contributor to water hardness. When water is heated, magnesium breaks down and precipitates out of solution, forming scale. Magnesium concentrations greater than 125 mg/L may have a laxative effect. (No Limit)

Manganese (Mn) Produces a brownish discoloration, which stains clothing and fixtures. High levels of manganese are toxic to expectant mothers and children. (Federal Limit 0.05 mg/L)

Molybdenum: Excessive molybdenum consumption can be associated with enlarged liver, gastrointestinal, and kidney disorders. (USEPA Lifetime Health Advisory: 40 ug/L)

Nickel (Ni) Relatively short exposures above the EPA Limit are not known to cause any health problems. Long term exposures can potentially cause decreased body weight, skin irritation, heart, and liver damage. (Federal Limit 0. 1 mg/L)

Nitrate/Nitrite (NO2/NO3) Affects infants under the age of 6 months. In this age group nitrates reduce the blood’s ability to carry oxygen and may cause death or permanent brain damage. (Federal Limit Nitrate 10 mg!L, Nitrite 1 mg/L)

Pesticides & Herbicides Enter surface and ground water primarily as runoff and can remain in sediment for years. Thousands of chemicals are currently regulated by the EPA and have various hazardous effects on humans. (Federal Limit Per Each Analyte)

pH: The ideal pH for drinking water is 7.5. When pH is below 7.0, the water is acidic and can cause corrosion of pipes and fixtures. When the pH is higher than 8.0, the water is alkaline. This can create mineral deposits on the interior surfaces of pipes.

Potassium (K) To lower blood pressure, blunt the effects of salt, and reduce the risk of kidney stones and bone loss, adults should consume 4.7 grams of potassium per day. (No Limit)

Selenium (Se) Is an essential nutrient at low levels. However, levels above 0.05 ppm may cause: hair and fingernail changes; damage to the peripheral nervous system; fatigue and irritability. Long term exposures to selenium may cause hair and fingernail loss, damage to kidney and liver tissue and the nervous and circulatory systems. (Federal Limit 0.05 mg/L)

Silica: Silica analysis provides useful information for systems that my require water treatment. Not identified as a health hazard. (No Limit)

Silver (Ag) Silver poisoning causes a blue-gray discoloration of the skin, mucous membranes, and eyes. In high doses it is fatal to humans. (Federal Limit 0.1 mg/L)

Sodium & Chloride (Na/Cl2) If the sodium and chloride levels are near 100 mg/L, individuals may notice a salty taste. These levels also affect plant growth. (Sodium: No Limit) (Chloride: Federal Limit is 250 mg/L)

Sulfate (SO4) Sulfate is a substance that occurs naturally. It may be found in the form of hydrogen sulfide and is commonly identified by a “rotten egg odor.” Diarrhea may be associated with the ingestion of high levels of sulfate. (Federal Limit 250 mg/L)

Thallium (Tl) Above the EPA limit thallium may potentially cause gastrointestinal irritation and nerve damage. Long-term exposures to thallium may cause changes in blood chemistry, hair loss, damage to liver, kidney, intestinal, and testicular tissues. (Federal Limit 0.002 mg/L)

Turbidity: Turbidity is the lack of clarity or brilliance in water. This can affect water treatment systems such as UV lights for disinfection, reverse osmosis units, sediment removal systems, and ion exchange treatment systems. (Federal Limit 1 NTU)

Uranium: Naturally occurring substance that is mildly radioactive. Exposure to high levels of uranium can cause kidney disease. (Federal Limit 0.03 mg/L)

Vanadium: The health effects in humans has not been established. Studies in pregnant animals showed minor birth defects. Vanadium ingested over a long period of time also revealed minor kidney and liver changes. Vanadium is also used for arsenic removal in drinking water treatment systems. (No Limit)

Volatile Organics (VOCs) are found in gasoline, dry cleaning solvents, degreasing agents and other industrial solutions. The EPA and DEQ monitor thousands of chemicals that fall under this classification. (Federal Limit Per Each Analyte)

Zinc (Zn) High levels of zinc can cause stomach cramps, nausea, and vomiting. Over a long period of time it can cause anemia and pancreas damage. (Federal Limit 5.0 mg/L)

For a complete list of all regulated contaminants and the maximum levels as established by the EPA, see the following page:

https://www.epa.gov

#1501322 --- 07/11/17 08:42 PM Re: Seneca Lake’s coal legacy [Re: scwoodchuck]
gassy one Offline

All sources of drinking water contain some naturally occurring contaminants. As water flows in streams, sits in lakes, and filters through layers of soil and rock it dissolves or absorbs the substances that it touches. According to its exposure, water transforms in composition and in physical parameters.

Aluminum (Al) Low level exposure is not thought to harm your health. Aluminum, however is not a necessary substance for our bodies and too much may be harmful. (Federal Limit 0.05 – 0.2 mg/L)

Antimony (Sb) Above the EPA limit antimony may potentially cause nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Antimony is a known/potential drinking water human carcinogen. (Federal Limit 0.006 mg/L)

Barium (Ba) Symptoms of barium poisoning include increased blood pressure, changes in heart rhythm, stomach irritation, and muscle weakness. (Federal Limit 2.0 mg/L)

Beryllium (Be) Beryllium is a probable human carcinogen. (Federal Limit 0.004mg/L)

Boron (B) Exceptionally toxic to some plants. If you have problems with growing plants, it could be the water and not your green thumb! (Toxic range for plants is 1.0-4.0 mg/L)

Cadmium (Cd) Symptoms of cadmium poisoning include cramps, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Long term exposure to lower levels of cadmium leads to kidney disease, lung damage and fragile bones. (Federal Limit 0.005mg/L)

Calcium (Ca) Calcium is an important contributor to water hardness. (No Federal Limit)

Conductivity: Conductivity gives an approximate determination of the amount of dissolved minerals in the water. (No Limit)

Chromium (Cr) Above the EPA limit chromium may potentially cause skin irritation or ulceration. Long term exposures to chromium may cause damage to liver, kidney, circulatory, and nerve tissues. (Federal Limit 0.1 mg/L)

Copper (Cu) Causes staining of fixtures, hair, and fabrics and can impart a bitter taste to water. It can cause stomach irritation and vomiting. (Federal Limit 1.0 mg/L)

Fecal Coliform Bacteria and Escherichia coli (E. coli) Present in the intestines of mammals. In the laboratory, coliforms are used as indicators of fecal contamination of ground and surface waters. Water sources containing any coliforms must be treated before consumption.

Fluoride (F) Long term effects are a permanent brown staining of the teeth, destruction of tooth enamel, brittle and easily broken bones, painful and stiff joints. (Federal Limit 4.0 mg/L, Oregon limit 2.0 mg/L)

Hardness is usually attributed to the calcium and magnesium ions. These ions combine with soap, forming an insoluble precipitate visible as scum and rings around fixtures. (Federal Limit 250 mg/L)

Iron (Fe) When iron comes in contact with oxygen, it oxidizes to a visible reddish compound that settles out as a rust-like material that stains clothing and fixtures. (Federal Limit 0.3 mg/L)

Lead (Pb) Symptoms of lead poisoning include tiredness and aching bones. (Federal Limit 0.015 mg/L)

Lithium (Li) Occurs naturally in Southern Oregon and is currently being monitored by NRC. (No Limit)

Magnesium (Mg) Magnesium is an important contributor to water hardness. When water is heated, magnesium breaks down and precipitates out of solution, forming scale. Magnesium concentrations greater than 125 mg/L may have a laxative effect. (No Limit)

Manganese (Mn) Produces a brownish discoloration, which stains clothing and fixtures. High levels of manganese are toxic to expectant mothers and children. (Federal Limit 0.05 mg/L)

Molybdenum: Excessive molybdenum consumption can be associated with enlarged liver, gastrointestinal, and kidney disorders. (USEPA Lifetime Health Advisory: 40 ug/L)

Nickel (Ni) Relatively short exposures above the EPA Limit are not known to cause any health problems. Long term exposures can potentially cause decreased body weight, skin irritation, heart, and liver damage. (Federal Limit 0. 1 mg/L)

Nitrate/Nitrite (NO2/NO3) Affects infants under the age of 6 months. In this age group nitrates reduce the blood’s ability to carry oxygen and may cause death or permanent brain damage. (Federal Limit Nitrate 10 mg!L, Nitrite 1 mg/L)

Pesticides & Herbicides Enter surface and ground water primarily as runoff and can remain in sediment for years. Thousands of chemicals are currently regulated by the EPA and have various hazardous effects on humans. (Federal Limit Per Each Analyte)

pH: The ideal pH for drinking water is 7.5. When pH is below 7.0, the water is acidic and can cause corrosion of pipes and fixtures. When the pH is higher than 8.0, the water is alkaline. This can create mineral deposits on the interior surfaces of pipes.

Potassium (K) To lower blood pressure, blunt the effects of salt, and reduce the risk of kidney stones and bone loss, adults should consume 4.7 grams of potassium per day. (No Limit)

Selenium (Se) Is an essential nutrient at low levels. However, levels above 0.05 ppm may cause: hair and fingernail changes; damage to the peripheral nervous system; fatigue and irritability. Long term exposures to selenium may cause hair and fingernail loss, damage to kidney and liver tissue and the nervous and circulatory systems. (Federal Limit 0.05 mg/L)

Silica: Silica analysis provides useful information for systems that my require water treatment. Not identified as a health hazard. (No Limit)

Silver (Ag) Silver poisoning causes a blue-gray discoloration of the skin, mucous membranes, and eyes. In high doses it is fatal to humans. (Federal Limit 0.1 mg/L)

Sodium & Chloride (Na/Cl2) If the sodium and chloride levels are near 100 mg/L, individuals may notice a salty taste. These levels also affect plant growth. (Sodium: No Limit) (Chloride: Federal Limit is 250 mg/L)

Sulfate (SO4) Sulfate is a substance that occurs naturally. It may be found in the form of hydrogen sulfide and is commonly identified by a “rotten egg odor.” Diarrhea may be associated with the ingestion of high levels of sulfate. (Federal Limit 250 mg/L)

Thallium (Tl) Above the EPA limit thallium may potentially cause gastrointestinal irritation and nerve damage. Long-term exposures to thallium may cause changes in blood chemistry, hair loss, damage to liver, kidney, intestinal, and testicular tissues. (Federal Limit 0.002 mg/L)

Turbidity: Turbidity is the lack of clarity or brilliance in water. This can affect water treatment systems such as UV lights for disinfection, reverse osmosis units, sediment removal systems, and ion exchange treatment systems. (Federal Limit 1 NTU)

Uranium: Naturally occurring substance that is mildly radioactive. Exposure to high levels of uranium can cause kidney disease. (Federal Limit 0.03 mg/L)

Vanadium: The health effects in humans has not been established. Studies in pregnant animals showed minor birth defects. Vanadium ingested over a long period of time also revealed minor kidney and liver changes. Vanadium is also used for arsenic removal in drinking water treatment systems. (No Limit)

Volatile Organics (VOCs) are found in gasoline, dry cleaning solvents, degreasing agents and other industrial solutions. The EPA and DEQ monitor thousands of chemicals that fall under this classification. (Federal Limit Per Each Analyte)

Zinc (Zn) High levels of zinc can cause stomach cramps, nausea, and vomiting. Over a long period of time it can cause anemia and pancreas damage. (Federal Limit 5.0 mg/L)

For a complete list of all regulated contaminants and the maximum levels as established by the EPA, see the following page:

How about fertilizers, pesticides and herbicides infiltration from vineyard runoff?

#1501327 --- 07/11/17 09:10 PM Re: Seneca Lake’s coal legacy [Re: gassy one]

How about fertilizers, pesticides and herbicides infiltration from vineyard runoff?
Do you want to overwhelm FL1's whole computer system ? "Significant improvement in the quality of U.S. waters since enactment of the Clean Water Act has been due mainly to reductions in point-source pollution from industrial and municipal sources. Agricultural contamination of waters remains a major source of water pollution. Estimates by the US Environmental Protection Agency indicate that agriculture is the leading source of pollution of the nation's rivers, lakes, and wetlands, and among the leading sources of pollution of estuaries. The status of groundwaters is not as well known as that of surface waters. However, when groundwater pollution has been found, agriculture is most often cited as the source."
http://wps.prenhall.com/wps/media/objects/1027/1052055/Regional_Updates/update30.htm

Edited by scwoodchuck (07/11/17 09:20 PM)

#1501405 --- 07/12/17 09:16 PM Re: Seneca Lake’s coal legacy [Re: scwoodchuck]
gassy one Offline

Do you want to overwhelm FL1's whole computer system ? "Significant improvement in the quality of U.S. waters since enactment of the Clean Water Act has been due mainly to reductions in point-source pollution from industrial and municipal sources. Agricultural contamination of waters remains a major source of water pollution. Estimates by the US Environmental Protection Agency indicate that agriculture is the leading source of pollution of the nation's rivers, lakes, and wetlands, and among the leading sources of pollution of estuaries. The status of groundwaters is not as well known as that of surface waters. However, when groundwater pollution has been found, agriculture is most often cited as the source."
http://wps.prenhall.com/wps/media/objects/1027/1052055/Regional_Updates/update30.htm
So essentially we are going to kill the lakes for the benefit of wineries and tourism! Don't see Andy beating the drum for that! Gas free Seneca is worried about theories on gas storage when actual pollution is happening now and not a word about that! Could it be their source of funding has something to do with it!

#1501442 --- 07/13/17 05:56 AM Re: Seneca Lake’s coal legacy [Re: all seeing eye]

You mean that the fact that the ring leaders work at wineries may be influencing their activism. Or do you mean that the Democrats like John Kerry are paying them.
http://www.alternet.org/story/152427/why_i%27m_donating_my_heinz_award_money_to_the_fight_against_fracking

#1501455 --- 07/13/17 08:27 AM Re: Seneca Lake’s coal legacy [Re: scwoodchuck]
gassy one Offline

You mean that the fact that the ring leaders work at wineries may be influencing their activism. Or do you mean that the Democrats like John Kerry are paying them.
http://www.alternet.org/story/152427/why_i%27m_donating_my_heinz_award_money_to_the_fight_against_fracking
The wineries are a major source of funding thus influencing their activism!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >