FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#1500577 --- 06/28/17 12:35 PM No Need to Use Your Name When Writing to FL Times Editor???
4sizzle Offline

Loc: here and there
I don't think I have ever seen and unsigned letter to the editor!

LETTER: Sign riles people up, doesn’t show compassion, empathy


To the Editor:

The First Amendment right is a double-edge sword, at least most people think so. I, on the other hand, think it opens things up for discussion and for people to then agree to disagree. The conversation helps us understand each other’s perspective because that’s what life is all about. No one’s story is the same, but to find common ground shows maturity.

I’m definitely an understanding person, but I really can’t understand why people are so upset at others for not agreeing with the city worker who cheered on Trump his whole campaign and then posted balloons for his birthday. Geneva, being proud of its diversity (unless that’s just a show to get more young kids to go to Hobart and William Smith), wasn’t so outraged by his actions, but I will speak for why I am.

One, during the whole presidential race we saw this sign in our face. Whenever you went to Wegmans you were guaranteed to see it. I paid it no mind, but do you know how many minorities and immigrants that live in this city and town had to see it? I went to school with a lot of immigrants at Geneva High that went on to do greater things than just working for a city (Although they definitely do a good job). I know nurses, welders and a doctor that were here illegally. Of course they got their “green card” (it’s yellow, by the way). So why do we need to see the sign now? He won.

Two, as a worker for the City, you’d think he’d have more compassion and empathy. Clearly he doesn’t because that requires a heart, which he doesn’t have. You’re here to work for the city and provide an environment that’s civil along with functional. Yes, everyone has an opinion, but to display ignorant, delusional beliefs on everyone else is just sad. You’re supposed to support the community, help its upkeep and help bridge the gap in a sense with the community and its workers. But I guess you have to compensate for other things elsewhere.

Three, we’re more than just females. Once upon a time we had a city worker who was African American and a female. I used to see her working while I was on the school bus as a young girl and she touched my soul. Kid you not I wanted to join the city crew so bad. Unfortunately, she got run out and left due to, of course, a better job and all the passive-aggressive passes she got from men. We are females. We work as hard as guys do and probably even harder. Stop trying to pass us as just a nice face and pretty body like we’re not hard workers. We can get as down and dirty as you can.

The reason behind this letter is to inform you all why we’re so mad about the sign. Not everyone is a racist, just like not everyone is a con. Females aren’t just baby makers and we have opinions. What that sign stands for is more than just a “haha hehe.” It’s showing ignorance and bias. And I’m not talking just about Trump. Just because you work for the city doesn’t mean you can do what you want. You’re supposed to put a face to Geneva and you’ve failed. We’re diverse. We’re women. We’re Geneva.

(Editor’s note: We are withholding the writer’s name on request.)





FingerLakes1.com
#1500578 --- 06/28/17 01:50 PM Re: No Need to Use Your Name When Writing to FL Times Editor??? [Re: 4sizzle]
justacitizen Offline

I agree - I have NEVER seen an unsigned letter to the editor before. I wonder who the Times is protecting. If that person really believed in what they were writing then they should take ownership of their opinion and sign their name. Being unsigned, I choose to ignore it as well as ignore the Times - a pure joke of a newspaper.

#1500590 --- 06/28/17 09:50 PM Re: No Need to Use Your Name When Writing to FL Times Editor??? [Re: justacitizen]
gassy one Offline

They used to a long time ago but changed their policy requiring a signature for publication. Like you said they are protecting somebody!

#1500638 --- 06/29/17 02:02 PM Re: No Need to Use Your Name When Writing to FL Times Editor??? [Re: 4sizzle]
764379255223 Offline

Loc: Ontario County
Agree name should be included Has anyone asked the FLT why?? Hopefully they read this forum and have the will to let us know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#1500649 --- 06/29/17 07:57 PM Re: No Need to Use Your Name When Writing to FL Times Editor??? [Re: 4sizzle]
Kells Offline

I think that the Finger Lakes Times did a pretty good job of explaining themselves on their Facebook page. To paraphrase: they may elect not to publish the name of a Letter to the Editor writer if they believe that there is a chance that said writer may be targeted for retribution, but only if they are aware of who wrote the letter themselves. Their paper, their rules. Anyway, some of y'all have been spewing ignorance in this forum anonymously going back more than a decade, so pipe down with the indignation.

Besides, I'm going to guess that anyone who might be ignorant enough to put up balloons for the buffoon's birthday was probably hoping to get just this kind of reaction... that they don't have a name to go with the outrage must really be upsetting to them. (I'd send them a box of tissues, but I'm doing my patriotic duty and avoiding buying those, since they are all needed down in Washington to wipe the orange off you-know-who's face.)

But seriously... did someone really put up balloons for that dude's birthday? Tell me the letter-writer was joking with that one...

#1500678 --- 06/30/17 06:41 AM Re: No Need to Use Your Name When Writing to FL Times Editor??? [Re: Kells]
scwoodchuck Online   content

Loc: LOST IN SPACE
First of all the Times goes out of its way to cause problems for many people the staff disagrees with. That paper never prints both sides of a story accurately. They always give more coverage to people who promote their liberal agenda and go out of their way to do the most damage possible to the Republican party. The same is true for every paper their parent company owns.

#1501137 --- 07/09/17 10:01 PM Re: No Need to Use Your Name When Writing to FL Times Editor??? [Re: 4sizzle]
genevaparent Offline

Loc: Geneva NY
Maybe the letter writer was a neighbor or family member. Some people get off on being controversial. He clearly is just trying to be irritating and enjoys thinking about all the people who drive by and think "what an $ss".

#1501140 --- 07/09/17 10:10 PM Re: No Need to Use Your Name When Writing to FL Times Editor??? [Re: Kells]
gassy one Offline

[quote=Kells]I think that the Finger Lakes Times did a pretty good job of explaining themselves on their Facebook page. To paraphrase: they may elect not to publish the name of a Letter to the Editor writer if they believe that there is a chance that said writer may be targeted for retribution, but only if they are aware of who wrote the letter themselves. Their paper, their rules. Anyway, some of y'all have been spewing ignorance in this forum anonymously going back more than a decade, so pipe down with the indignation.

Besides, I'm going to guess that anyone who might be ignorant enough to put up balloons for the buffoon's birthday was probably hoping to get just this kind of reaction... that they don't have a name to go with the outrage must really be upsetting to them. (I'd send them a box of tissues, but I'm doing my patriotic duty and avoiding buying those, since they are all needed down in Washington to wipe the orange off you-know-who's face.)

But seriously... did someone really put up balloons for that dude's birthday? Tell me the letter-writer was joking with that one... [/quote
Best president ever!

Edited by gassy one (07/09/17 10:11 PM)

#1501756 --- 07/17/17 05:19 PM Re: No Need to Use Your Name When Writing to FL Times Editor??? [Re: gassy one]
Kells Offline

Whenever I see people with Trump/Pence stickers still on their truck, I think: 'that person right there is a racist, or a homophobe - or maybe both.'

After Trump let down his legion of followers on nearly every issue, the only people still proud of him are those who were outraged that gays were given equal rights, or that they had to hear that 'Black Lives Matter' under the last president. Anyone else who supported Trump or his sidekick has had the good sense to crawl back into their holes by now. But the bigots are still behind him, because for them he stands for what they hope against hope will return with his reign: the ascension of ultimate power to the straight, white man.

Originally Posted By: gassy one
[quote=Kells]I think that the Finger Lakes Times did a pretty good job of explaining themselves on their Facebook page. To paraphrase: they may elect not to publish the name of a Letter to the Editor writer if they believe that there is a chance that said writer may be targeted for retribution, but only if they are aware of who wrote the letter themselves. Their paper, their rules. Anyway, some of y'all have been spewing ignorance in this forum anonymously going back more than a decade, so pipe down with the indignation.

But seriously... did someone really put up balloons for that dude's birthday? Tell me the letter-writer was joking with that one... [/quote
Best president ever!

Edited by Kells (07/17/17 05:19 PM)

#1501802 --- 07/18/17 04:25 PM Re: No Need to Use Your Name When Writing to FL Times Editor??? [Re: 4sizzle]
The Mechanic Offline

Loc: NY
I bet the FLT wouldn't withhold a name on a pro-Trump letter. Another reason why I haven't picked up that rag in like 15 years.

Go Trump!

#1501842 --- 07/18/17 10:07 PM Re: No Need to Use Your Name When Writing to FL Times Editor??? [Re: Kells]
gassy one Offline

Originally Posted By: Kells
Whenever I see people with Trump/Pence stickers still on their truck, I think: 'that person right there is a racist, or a homophobe - or maybe both.'

After Trump let down his legion of followers on nearly every issue, the only people still proud of him are those who were outraged that gays were given equal rights, or that they had to hear that 'Black Lives Matter' under the last president. Anyone else who supported Trump or his sidekick has had the good sense to crawl back into their holes by now. But the bigots are still behind him, because for them he stands for what they hope against hope will return with his reign: the ascension of ultimate power to the straight, white man.

Best president ever!
He's doing what I voted for him for! Get the freakin illegals out of this country!

#1501889 --- 07/19/17 12:53 PM Re: No Need to Use Your Name When Writing to FL Times Editor??? [Re: gassy one]
Hello_Governer Offline

Loc: New York, Seneca
I voted for him because I wanted him to beat Hilary. After that I really don't care what he does grin

#1501944 --- 07/20/17 06:49 AM Re: No Need to Use Your Name When Writing to FL Times Editor??? [Re: 4sizzle]
wooden nickel Offline

Loc: seneca county
IMO,Trump is a jerk who represents our country poorly. Having said that, the FLTimes showed that they are not unbiased by not printing the writers name. I have canceled my subscription.

#1501979 --- 07/20/17 03:15 PM Re: No Need to Use Your Name When Writing to FL Times Editor??? [Re: justacitizen]
Timbo Offline
Silver Member

Loc: CNY
Originally Posted By: justacitizen
I agree - I have NEVER seen an unsigned letter to the editor before. I wonder who the Times is protecting. If that person really believed in what they were writing then they should take ownership of their opinion and sign their name. Being unsigned, I choose to ignore it as well as ignore the Times - a pure joke of a newspaper.

Newspapers reserve the editorial right to publish unnamed and redacted editorial comments when deemed appropriate. Children's names are often excluded as are certain sources and for those who may suffer retaliation.

You are right, in that it almost never happens in editorials. Editors make rare exceptions after much deliberation. They do it for EXACTLY the reasons that people use fictitious usernames online. The links below are likely some reasons why a newspaper would decide to leave unattributed, an editorial comment. Especially when such acts are becoming more and more commonplace everywhere you look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfw7LSdJI3U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FH7aTp8DsVI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_n0SP-tOj0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIs2L2nUL-0

Nuff Said.

#1501980 --- 07/20/17 03:16 PM Re: No Need to Use Your Name When Writing to FL Times Editor??? [Re: The Mechanic]
Timbo Offline
Silver Member

Originally Posted By: The Mechanic
I bet the FLT wouldn't withhold a name on a pro-Trump letter.

I'll take that bet. Let's say $1000 to make it interesting. smirk

#1501996 --- 07/20/17 04:59 PM Re: No Need to Use Your Name When Writing to FL Times Editor??? [Re: scwoodchuck]
Timbo Offline
Silver Member

Originally Posted By: scwoodchuck
First of all the Times goes out of its way to cause problems for many people the staff disagrees with. That paper never prints both sides of a story accurately. They always give more coverage to people who promote their liberal agenda and go out of their way to do the most damage possible to the Republican party. The same is true for every paper their parent company owns.

Examples...

#1501997 --- 07/20/17 05:03 PM Re: No Need to Use Your Name When Writing to FL Times Editor??? [Re: gassy one]
Timbo Offline
Silver Member

They used to a long time ago but changed their policy requiring a signature for publication. Like you said they are protecting somebody!

Just as they protect coroborrated sources, children and others they determine to be at significant risk of retaliation.

Trump Blasts Media, Anonymous Ssources — After WH Uses Them
http://www.startribune.com/from-joke-to-president-trump-returns-to-conservative-confab/414690593/

Trump’s ‘Evidence’ for Obama Wiretap Claims Relies on Sketchy, Anonymously Sourced Reports:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/natio...0305-story.html

Fox News has published another article defending President Donald Trump and his son-in-law Jared Kushner, using an anonymous source and without mentioning who wrote the piece:
http://www.newsweek.com/fox-news-defend-donald-trump-mystery-anonymous-sources-630962

Breitbart Relies on Multiple Anonymous White House Sources:
http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2...eech_today.html

The False Backlash Over Anonymous Sources:
https://www.commentarymagazine.com/politics-ideas/the-false-backlash-over-anonymous-sources/

#1502026 --- 07/20/17 11:20 PM Re: No Need to Use Your Name When Writing to FL Times Editor??? [Re: justacitizen]
Timbo Offline
Silver Member

Originally Posted By: justacitizen

Apparently, you also choose to ignore the fact that the resident displaying the Trump sign on Copeland does so both illegally (as per city code), and as an employee of the city, he knows full well that he's in violation of the code. The fact that the city authorities chose also to continue to ignore the repeated violations, shows that the real joke is the city's code enforcement as well as your objectivity and sense of fair play.

#1502027 --- 07/20/17 11:30 PM Re: No Need to Use Your Name When Writing to FL Times Editor??? [Re: gassy one]
Timbo Offline
Silver Member

They have no such policy, nor have they ever.

They (along with most news outlets) have a policy of not printing anything that they cannot corroborate the origin of whose letters they choose to print.

If you had taken the time to read any of the several editorial replies over the past few days concerning the uncredited opinions, you would have known that, due the editor's note at the end of each of those comments, stating as much.

But hey, screw the facts if they don't align with your ridiculous anti-journalism BS, r i g h t ?

#1502028 --- 07/20/17 11:40 PM Re: No Need to Use Your Name When Writing to FL Times Editor??? [Re: scwoodchuck]
Timbo Offline
Silver Member

Originally Posted By: scwoodchuck

They sure do publish more than their fair share of Trump supporters, anti-Hillary/Obama fanatics, birthers, anti-immigrant sentiment, etc.

The only agenda here, is the one you insist on plying in spite of the referable content published in black and white.

If you had a single shred of evidence of one-sided bias by "The Times", you'd have already posted it to settle the matter once and for all. But you'll never do that because there's absolutely nothing to support your tripe.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >