FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 15 of 20 < 1 2 ... 13 14 15 16 17 19 20 >
Topic Options
#1505874 --- 10/03/17 02:59 AM Re: President Trump Live [Re: kyle585]
kyle585 Online   content
Gold Member

Loc: Somewhere out there
Originally Posted By: kyle585
The overall study was conducted from Jan. 21 to April 30 and examined 3,000 news stories across 24 media outlets. The portion of the study that measured how positively the media covered Trump was conducted over the first 60 days of the administration and compared a smaller sub-set of outlets to make sure it was comparable with the Clinton era.
I dare say I have quoted from the majority of those 24 media outlets here. I wonder if gassy has ever read over two of them except what I post here. I try and educate him but I don't see it working.

FingerLakes1.com
#1505889 --- 10/03/17 07:36 AM Re: President Trump Live [Re: kyle585]
gassy one Offline

You have to be smarter than a rock to educate somebody Kyle!

#1505900 --- 10/03/17 09:10 AM Re: President Trump Live [Re: gassy one]
kyle585 Online   content
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: gassy one
You have to be smarter than a rock to educate somebody Kyle!
Oh you think you are so clever with your meaningless responses.

#1505906 --- 10/03/17 10:49 AM Re: President Trump Live [Re: Teonan]
Timbo Offline
Silver Member

Loc: CNY
Originally Posted By: Teonan
Originally Posted By: Timbo
Originally Posted By: gassy one
OMG! ... Puerto Rico contributes zilch to the USA but always has their hand out for more!

Bull! Without Puerto Rico the US wouldn't have developed a MASSIVELY profitable sugar industry, to name only one of dozens of major contributions to the US. Using natives to fight wars so that white soldiers didn't have to, being one of the bigger contributions, as well. The fact that US lied to them and then deny promises must certainly count as another.

There's the velvet gloved iron fist of U.S. colonialism for ya.

Yyyyuuuup! frown

#1505919 --- 10/03/17 03:52 PM Re: President Trump Live [Re: kyle585]
kyle585 Online   content
Gold Member

Trump is pathetic beyond belief.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/03/politics/trump-puerto-rico/index.html

Trump's Puerto Rico event was way worse than his tweet

Analysis by Chris Cillizza, CNN Editor-at-large

President Donald Trump faced a major test on Tuesday as he traveled to storm-ravaged Puerto Rico: Show the American citizens struggling for survival on the island that he understood their plight, sympathized with them and was doing everything in his power to make it better as quickly as he could.
He failed. Hugely.

#1505920 --- 10/03/17 03:54 PM Re: President Trump Live [Re: kyle585]
kyle585 Online   content
Gold Member

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/10/03/trump-puerto-rico-hurricane-visit-243382

Trump brings harsh edge to Puerto Rico trip

The president dings the hurricane-ravaged U.S. territory for having 'thrown our budget a little out of whack.'

By MATTHEW NUSSBAUM and NOLAN D. MCCASKILL

10/03/2017 05:03 AM EDT Updated 10/03/2017 04:02 PM EDT

#1505921 --- 10/03/17 03:58 PM Re: President Trump Live [Re: kyle585]
kyle585 Online   content
Gold Member

Donald Trump Helps Suffering Puerto Ricans By Throwing Paper Towels At Them

We never thought we’d write this headline.
By Sebastian Murdock

In his first visit to Puerto Rico following the devastation of Hurricane Maria, President Donald Trump tossed paper towels at suffering survivors Tuesday.

A small number of the more than 3 million residents in Puerto Rico still without power were gifted paper towels, which Trump apparently thought was the most pressing need for those in the crowd.

Video of the event shows him tossing the paper towels like a child trying to play basketball. It’s all very underwhelming.

After the Puerto Rican government announced last Wednesday that the death toll was sitting at 16, Trump said the storm wasn’t a “real catastrophe” like Hurricane Katrina.

#1505922 --- 10/03/17 04:00 PM Re: President Trump Live [Re: kyle585]
kyle585 Online   content
Gold Member

Nearly two weeks after Hurricane Maria roared through Puerto Rico, destroying much of the island’s infrastructure, more than 500 homebound at-risk veterans still haven’t been reached by doctors, nurses and social workers, Fox News has learned.

There are 1,687 homebound vets in Puerto Rico who require ongoing treatment such as dialysis, chemotherapy and insulin to survive. Since Maria struck Sept. 20, the San Juan VA Medical Center has dispatched special teams consisting of a doctor, nurse and social worker to visit the homes of each one of these vets.

It has been a tough task. Most of the island still lacks power because of damage to the electric grid and intermittent phone service because of downed lines and cell towers. Many rural areas have been rendered inaccessible by damage to roads and the scarcity of gasoline for vehicles.

As of Tuesday, VA officials said visits have taken place at the homes of 1,147 homebound vets. That leaves 540 more to be seen. The VA is vowing to reach the rest but isn’t sure how long it will take.

#1505941 --- 10/03/17 08:36 PM Re: President Trump Live [Re: kyle585]
gassy one Offline

Originally Posted By: kyle585

Donald Trump Helps Suffering Puerto Ricans By Throwing Paper Towels At Them

We never thought we’d write this headline.
By Sebastian Murdock

In his first visit to Puerto Rico following the devastation of Hurricane Maria, President Donald Trump tossed paper towels at suffering survivors Tuesday.

A small number of the more than 3 million residents in Puerto Rico still without power were gifted paper towels, which Trump apparently thought was the most pressing need for those in the crowd.

Video of the event shows him tossing the paper towels like a child trying to play basketball. It’s all very underwhelming.

After the Puerto Rican government announced last Wednesday that the death toll was sitting at 16, Trump said the storm wasn’t a “real catastrophe” like Hurricane Katrina.
Death wise it wasn't!

#1510530 --- 12/08/17 08:15 PM Re: President Trump Live [Re: ThomasDecker]
ThomasDecker Offline

Loc: Land of the Free and home of t...

#1510537 --- 12/09/17 03:29 AM Re: President Trump Live [Re: ThomasDecker]
kyle585 Online   content
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: ThomasDecker
I learned this watching Morning Joe.

https://www.npr.org/sections/itsallpolit...tical-donations

Most of Donald Trump's Political Money Went To Democrats — Until 5 Years Ago

The turnaround in Trump's donation habits has come alongside a few rapid turnarounds in political views, as Politico's Timothy Noah wrote in a Monday analysis. He at various times has voiced support of single-payer health care, a 14.25 percent wealth tax, and an assault weapons ban — all positions that he has reversed. In addition, in 1999, he proclaimed Republicans "too crazy right."

Aside from those prominent flipflops, he has also held views that would likely anger many of today's orthodox conservative voters. For example, he told the Miami Herald in 1990 that drug legalization was the way to deal with drug violence.

"We're losing badly the war on drugs," Trump told reporter Gus Carlson. "You have to legalize drugs to win that war. You have to take the profit away from these drug czars."

Likewise, in that 1990 Playboy article, he demurred on the topic of abortion: "When I asked for his stand on abortion, he frowned, pouted and asked me to turn the recorder off," wrote Glenn Paskin. "He didn't really have an opinion — what the hell was mine? It was a very human moment."

#1510550 --- 12/09/17 02:34 PM Re: President Trump Live [Re: ThomasDecker]
cwjga Offline
Silver Member

Loc: NY
The President is Making Promises Great Again
Jeff Crouere

By announcing that the United States would move our embassy to Jerusalem and recognize the historic city as the capital of Israel, President Donald Trump has once again delivered on a key campaign promise.

In his first year in office, President Trump has made it a refreshing habit to fulfill his pledges to the American people. Whether it is removing the United States from the odious trade deal known as the Trans Pacific Partnerships (TPP) or bowing out of the expensive and unfair Paris Climate Agreement, President Trump has been keeping true to the vows he made as a candidate.

In the case of the Jerusalem decision, President Trump is acting with courage, while previous Presidents only made hollow campaign promises.

Presidents Bill Clinton, George W. Bush and Barack Obama all pledged to recognize Jerusalem as the capital of Israel, but none of them delivered on their promise. Obviously, these pledges were only made for political purposes. Once in office, Trump’s predecessors caved to the pressure from the United Nations and the Muslim world. Sadly, they allowed foreign powers to dictate such a monumental decision.

This President has a refreshing ability to act alone. He does not bow to international pressure. If he did, he would have kept the United States in the TPP and the climate change accord. If he worried about criticism from foreign leaders, he would not have lectured NATO members about paying their fair share of defense costs.

Donald Trump makes decisions not based on global concerns or coercion from the international community, but on what is in the best interest of the United States of America. During the campaign, he promised that his focus would be on “America First.”

Recognizing Jerusalem as the capital of Israel is not only in the best interest of Middle East peace, but it is also in the best interest of the United States of America. As noted by Nikki Haley, the U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations, “For 22 years, the American people have overwhelmingly supported” officially recognizing Jerusalem. She continued, “This week President Trump finally made the decision to no longer deny the will of the American people.”

Having a President follow through on his commitments is reassuring to all of our allies and sends a strong message to our adversaries. Hereafter, all countries will realize that the United States is led by a President who believes that his word is his bond. This will help promote peace abroad and end international concern about the faithfulness and tenacity of our country.

During the Obama administration, there was obviously plenty of international concern about a country that did not follow through on its commitments. For example, President Obama completely abandoned Iraq in 2011 and left a void that was filled by the terrorist group ISIS.

In contrast, this President promised to “bomb the hell out of ISIS.” The results have been stunning as ISIS is in total disarray and fleeing the onslaught of U.S. military forces. The terrorists have left behind their supposed caliphate in Iraq and Syria and are trying to remain relevant as a fighting force. President Trump has let the military commanders make battlefield decisions and changed the oppressive Obama era rules of engagement. As a result, our military has secured quick and overwhelming victories over ISIS.

When he announced his military plans of defeating the enemy during the campaign, the President was mocked by his opponents, but the American people are enjoying the benefits of those policies today. Likewise, many foreign leaders, Democrats and GOP deep state operatives have spent the last several days blasting his Jerusalem declaration, Years later, historians may refer to this decision as the key one that helped the Middle East peace process.

In the aftermath of this decision, the enemies of Israel will no longer question the stance of the United States of America or the courage of our President. They will understand that the United States will not abandon Israel, the only democracy and our only true ally in the region.

Once this reality is understood by all, the peace process can move forward. However, it was first essential to restore Jerusalem as the capital of Israel, the true home of the Jewish people for 3,000 years.

Thank goodness, the United States has a President who has rectified a horrible injustice that was committed against the people of Israel. This travesty was allowed by many previous U.S. Presidents, but, finally, we now have a President who acts with both courage and foresight.

Despite the threats from Muslim leaders and the political opposition both in the U.S. and abroad, President Trump’s bold decision this week will ultimately lead to a safer Middle East and a safer world.

#1510552 --- 12/09/17 03:17 PM Re: President Trump Live [Re: cwjga]
kyle585 Online   content
Gold Member

https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/0e960703-7ae9-3947-88fe-47a5280b5ffd/ss_i-study-liars.-i%27ve-never.html

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/commentary/ct-donald-trump-liar-20171208-story,amp.html

I spent the first two decades of my career as a social scientist studying liars and their lies. I thought I had developed a sense of what to expect from them. Then along came President Donald Trump. His lies are both more frequent and more malicious than ordinary people's.

In research beginning in the mid-1990s, when I was a professor at the University of Virginia, my colleagues and I asked 77 college students and 70 people from the nearby community to keep diaries of all the lies they told every day for a week. They handed them in to us with no names attached. We calculated participants' rates of lying and categorized each lie as either self-serving (told to advantage the liar or protect the liar from embarrassment, blame or other undesired outcomes) or kind (told to advantage, flatter or protect someone else).

At The Washington Post, the Fact Checker feature has been tracking every false and misleading claim and flip-flop made by Trump this year. The inclusion of misleading statements and flip-flops is consistent with the definition of lying my colleagues and I gave to our participants: "A lie occurs any time you intentionally try to mislead someone." In the case of Trump's claims, though, it is possible to ascertain only whether they were false or misleading, and not what the president's intentions were.

I categorized the most recent 400 lies that The Post had documented through mid-November in the same way my colleagues and I had categorized the lies of the participants in our study.

The college students in our research told an average of two lies a day, and the community members told one. (A more recent study of the lies 1,000 U. S. adults told in the previous 24 hours found that people told an average of 1.65 lies per day; the authors noted that 60 percent of the participants said they told no lies at all, while the top 5 percent of liars told nearly half of all the falsehoods in the study.) The most prolific liar among the students told an average of 6.6 lies a day. The biggest liar in the community sample told 4.3 lies in an average day.

In Trump's first 298 days in office, however, he made 1,628 false or misleading claims or flip-flops, by The Post's tally. That's about six per day, far higher than the average rate in our studies. And of course, reporters have access to only a subset of Trump's false statements — the ones he makes publicly — so unless he never stretches the truth in private, his actual rate of lying is almost certainly higher.

That rate has been accelerating. Starting in early October, The Post's tracking showed that Trump told a remarkable nine lies a day, outpacing even the biggest liars in our research.

But the flood of deceit isn't the most surprising finding about Trump.

Both the college students and the community members in our study served their own interests with their lies more often than other people's interests. They told lies to try to advantage themselves in the workplace, the marketplace, their personal relationships and just about every other domain of everyday life. For example, a salesperson told a customer that the jeans she was trying on were not too tight, so she could make the sale. The participants also lied to protect themselves psychologically: One college student told a classmate that he wasn't worried about his grades, so the classmate wouldn't think he was stupid.

Less often, the participants lied in kind ways, to help other people get what they wanted, look or feel better, or to spare them from embarrassment or blame. For example, a son told his mother he didn't mind taking her shopping, and a woman took sides with a friend who was divorcing, even though she thought her friend was at fault, too.

About half the lies the participants told were self-serving (46 percent for the college students, 57 percent for the community members), compared with about a quarter that were kind (26 percent for the students, 24 percent for the community members). Other lies did not fit either category; they included, for instance, lies told to entertain or to keep conversations running smoothly.

One category of lies was so small that when we reported the results, we just tucked them into a footnote. Those were cruel lies, told to hurt or disparage others. For example, one person told a co-worker that the boss wanted to see him when he really didn't, "so he'd look like a fool." Just 0.8 percent of the lies told by the college students and 2.4 percent of the lies told by the community members were mean-spirited.

My colleagues and I found it easy to code each of our participants' lies into just one category. This was not the case for Trump. Close to a quarter of his false statements (24 percent) served several purposes simultaneously.

Nearly two-thirds of Trump's lies (65 percent) were self-serving. Examples included: "They're big tax cuts — the biggest cuts in the history of our country, actually" and, about the people who came to see him on a presidential visit to Vietnam last month: "They were really lined up in the streets by the tens of thousands."

Slightly less than 10 percent of Trump's lies were kind ones, told to advantage, flatter or protect someone else. An example was his statement on Twitter that "it is a 'miracle' how fast the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police were able to find the demented shooter and stop him from even more killing!" In the broadest sense, it is possible to interpret every lie as ultimately self-serving, but I tried to stick to how statements appeared on the surface.

Trump told 6.6 times as many self-serving lies as kind ones. That's a much higher ratio than we found for our study participants, who told about double the number of self-centered lies compared with kind ones.

The most stunning way Trump's lies differed from our participants', though, was in their cruelty. An astonishing 50 percent of Trump's lies were hurtful or disparaging. For example, he proclaimed that John Brennan, James Clapper and James Comey, all career intelligence or law enforcement officials, were "political hacks." He said that "the Sloppy Michael Moore Show on Broadway was a TOTAL BOMB and was forced to close." He insisted that other "countries, they don't put their finest in the lottery system. They put people probably in many cases that they don't want." And he claimed that "Ralph Northam, who is running for Governor of Virginia, is fighting for the violent MS-13 killer gangs & sanctuary cities."

The Trump lies that could not be coded into just one category were typically told both to belittle others and enhance himself. For example: "Senator Bob Corker 'begged' me to endorse him for reelection in Tennessee. I said 'NO' and he dropped out (said he could not win without my endorsement)."

The sheer frequency of Trump's lies appears to be having an effect, and it may not be the one he is going for. A Politico/Morning Consult poll from late October showed that only 35 percent of voters believed that Trump was honest, while 51 percent said he was not honest. (The others said they didn't know or had no opinion.) Results of a Quinnipiac University poll from November were similar: Thirty-seven percent of voters thought Trump was honest, compared with 58 percent who thought he was not.

For fewer than 40 percent of American voters to see the president as honest is truly remarkable. Most humans, most of the time, believe other people. That's our default setting. Usually, we need a reason to disbelieve.

Research on the detection of deception consistently documents this "truth bias." In the typical study, participants observe people making statements and are asked to indicate, each time, whether they think the person is lying or telling the truth. Measuring whether people believe others should be difficult to do accurately, because simply asking the question disrupts the tendency to assume that other people are telling the truth. It gives participants a reason to wonder. And yet, in our statistical summary of more than 200 studies, Charles F. Bond Jr. and I found that participants still believed other people more often than they should have — 58 percent of the time in studies in which only half of the statements were truthful. People are biased toward believing others, even in studies in which they are told explicitly that only half of the statements they will be judging are truths.

By telling so many lies, and so many that are mean-spirited, Trump is violating some of the most fundamental norms of human social interaction and human decency. Many of the rest of us, in turn, have abandoned a norm of our own — we no longer give Trump the benefit of the doubt that we usually give so readily.

Washington Post

Bella DePaulo is the author of "How We Live Now: Redefining Home and Family in the 21st Century" and "Singled Out: How Singles Are Stereotyped, Stigmatized, and Ignored, and Still Live Happily Ever After."

#1510558 --- 12/09/17 04:55 PM Re: President Trump Live [Re: cwjga]
kyle585 Online   content
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: cwjga

By announcing that the United States would move our embassy to Jerusalem and recognize the historic city as the capital of Israel, President Donald Trump has once again delivered on a key campaign promise.
Oh I am sure this is going to work out real well after much bloodshed.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/news/israeli-strikes-kill-2-hamas-men-gaza-rocket-081813245.html

Israeli airstrikes killed two Hamas members early Saturday following a rocket attack on Israel, in the latest fallout from President Donald Trump's decision to recognize Jerusalem as Israel's capital — a development that has roiled the region and the larger Muslim world.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/worl...ital/923059001/

Changing the status of Jerusalem — a holy city for Jews, Muslims and Christians — “would add to the narrative of extremists who want to paint the Western world in terms of a religious war,” said Yousef Munayyer, executive director of the U.S. Campaign for Palestinian Rights.

“For the United States to weigh in so heavily on the side of the Israelis sends a message that the extremists would capitalize on,” Munayyer said.

#1510629 --- 12/11/17 03:30 AM Re: President Trump Live [Re: cwjga]
kyle585 Online   content
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: cwjga

https://www.yahoo.com/news/lebanese-security-forces-fire-tear-gas-protest-near-091540390.html

Violence flares at protest near U.S. Embassy in Lebanon

Lebanese security forces fired tear gas and water canons at protesters near the U.S. Embassy in Lebanon on Sunday during a demonstration against President Donald Trump's decision to recognize Jerusalem as the capital of Israel.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/...n-a8090246.html

President Donald Trump's push for a peace agreement between Israel and the Palestinians stems from a belief that his broader goals of stopping Iranian aggression and Islamic extremism will not be possible without it, presidential adviser Jared Kushner said in a rare public appearance on Sunday.

“If we're going to try to create more stability in the region as a whole, you have to solve this issue,” Kushner told Middle East experts gathered at the Brookings Institution's Saban Forum. Trump, he said, “sees this as something that has to be solved.”

But nearly a year after Trump named Kushner, his son-in-law and senior White House aide, as point person for what he called “the ultimate deal,” there has been no public indication of where the initiative is heading.

#1510652 --- 12/11/17 01:32 PM Re: President Trump Live [Re: kyle585]
ThomasDecker Offline

Loc: Land of the Free and home of t...
Lebanese security forces fired tear gas and water canons at protesters near the U.S. Embassy in Lebanon on Sunday during a demonstration against President Donald Trump's decision to recognize Jerusalem as the capital of Israel.

Nothing new,, Warring in the Middle-East been going on for the last 100 years!

#1510883 --- 12/15/17 03:25 AM Re: President Trump Live [Re: ThomasDecker]
kyle585 Online   content
Gold Member

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/trumps-grade-economy-drops-b-212904818.html

President Trump has a lot going for him these days, at least economywise.

Employment is strong, the stock market continues to hover near record highs, and Congress is poised to pass tax cuts that should produce a bit of additional tailwind for the next year or two.

But not all is well. In the latest Yahoo Finance Trumponomics Report Card, Trump’s grade on the economy drops from an A- in November to a B for December. That’s a two-notch downgrade. The main reason is weak earnings, which have barely risen this year.

“Wage growth has been fairly muted, considering the tightening in the labor market,” says Ryan Sweet, director of real-time economics at Moody’s Analytics, which provides the data for our report card. “A significant and sudden acceleration in wage growth is unlikely.”

#1511085 --- 12/18/17 04:38 AM Re: President Trump Live [Re: kyle585]
kyle585 Online   content
Gold Member

https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/ca0b35d8-3ad9-38ce-b265-5d0c564d010e/ss_%E2%80%98corker-kickback%E2%80%99-sends.html

‘Corker Kickback’ sends Republicans scrambling in advance of tax vote
thinkprogress.org 8 hours ago

Bob Corker, a Republican Senator from Tennessee, is retiring. He has made a show of criticizing Trump’s agenda, and he was the only Republican to vote against the Senate version of the tax bill, citing deficit concerns. Independent analysis shows the bill would increase the deficit by about $1.5 trillion over 10 years.

After they passed their respective chambers, the Senate and House bills were then sent to a conference committee where senators made more changes, although nothing was altered that would significantly change the bill’s impact on the deficit.

That’s why it was inexplicable that Corker announced his support for the legislation that came out of conference. He didn’t try to argue the new bill was any better for the deficit. Or even that there were changes made to the bill that made it more palatable to him. Rather, he just stated that “every bill we consider is imperfect” and he would vote for it.

Corker made his announcement two hours before the text of the tax bill was made public. In the 503-page text was a new provision that was not in the House or Senate legislation. It would specifically benefit real estate investors who operate “pass-through” businesses. This group includes President Trump — and also Bob Corker, who “has millions of dollars of ownership stakes in real-estate related LLCs that could also benefit” from the new provision.

The savings to Corker could be substantial, according to the Center for Economic and Policy Research.

Corker then contacted the International Business Times and said the new provision did not influence his position on the bill because he hadn’t actually read it before announcing his vote. “I had like a two-page summary I went through with leadership. I never saw the actual text,” Corker said.

Corker initially told IBT that the new provision “sounds totally unnecessary and borderline ridiculous” but later admitted he doesn’t “really know what the provision does to be honest. I would need an accountant to explain it.” Last year, Corker made up to $7 million from real estate pass through companies he owns.

His story, however, hit a snag when Sen. John Cornyn (R-TX), the Senate Majority Whip, told ABC News that the provision that benefits real estate investors was added as part of an effort to “cobble together the votes we needed to get this bill passed.” When asked if the provision was added specifically to secure Corker’s vote, Cornyn dodged the question.

Now Corker is in the hot seat. On Sunday night, he sent a letter to Senate Finance Committee Chairman Orrin Hatch (R-UT) and asked him to “provide an explanation of the evolution of this provision and how it made it into the final conference report.”

“I think that because of many sensitivities, clarity on this issue is very important and hope that you will respond in an expeditious manner,” Corker added.

With John McCain (R-AZ) heading back to Arizona to tend to medical issues, Corker’s vote could prove decisive in the Senate, which is expected to vote on the legislation early this week. Meanwhile, #CorkerKickback is trending on Twitter.

#1511175 --- 12/18/17 08:09 PM Re: President Trump Live [Re: kyle585]
kyle585 Online   content
Gold Member

Republicans wrote their massive tax legislation in such a rush that even before they’ve sent it to the president’s desk, they’re already talking about writing another bill to fix all the mistakes in the first one.

Rep. Kevin Brady (R-Texas), the lead author of the tax legislation in the House of Representatives, said Friday that he expected Congress would need to draft another bill to make “technical corrections.”

“I can’t imagine any major undertaking like this that doesn’t require technical corrections in the future,” Brady told reporters.

Republicans have repeatedly adjusted major provisions of their legislation over the past several weeks. The final version of the bill released Friday contained yet more significant changes to a business deduction that tax experts have warned could result in a lot of creative accounting and unintended consequences.

Technical corrections to major legislation are indeed common, but usually they aim to fix errors that lawmakers discover after passing a bill &#8213; not ones they assume exist beforehand.

Steven Rosenthal, a lawyer and tax expert who formerly worked for the congressional Joint Committee on Taxation, said he was not aware of any other instance in which lawmakers anticipated technical corrections for tax legislation that had not even been enacted.

“This legislation is tax policy malfeasance,” Rosenthal said.

Brady said he hoped Democrats would go along with fixing the tax bill post-passage &#8213; a curious request since it wasn’t so long ago that Republicans wanted nothing to do with corrections for another piece of major legislation: the Affordable Care Act.

Obamacare contained drafting errors and mistakes, including one that nearly proved devastating to the law’s implementation &#8213; a passage that didn’t specify whether tax credits for buying health insurance should be available in all states or just some. A simple one- or two-word change to the law’s language would have cleared up the ambiguity. Rather than working with Democrats to enact such a measure, so that it had the votes to pass Congress, Republicans supported a lawsuit that, if successful, would have cut off the tax credits for millions &#8213; leaving most of them with no health insurance at all.

#1511228 --- 12/19/17 02:02 PM Re: President Trump Live [Re: ThomasDecker]
Timbo Offline
Silver Member

Loc: CNY
Originally Posted By: ThomasDecker
Nothing new, Warring in the Middle-East been going on for the last 100 years!

Utterly False Equivalencies.

Page 15 of 20 < 1 2 ... 13 14 15 16 17 19 20 >