FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#1504342 --- 08/31/17 10:03 PM Re: New Trash Rules in Geneva [Re: Tacitus]
Let's be frank Offline

Loc: NY
May I state that I have NEVER seen so much Recycle Trash in Geneva in my life - the reason??? Most folks (including us) can't remember which week is the RECYCLE week or not. Consequently - there are overloaded recycle bins all OVER Geneva - and please don't tell me that the CITY will now FINE us because we can't remember which week recycle falls on!!!

FingerLakes1.com
#1504345 --- 09/01/17 04:35 AM Re: New Trash Rules in Geneva [Re: Tacitus]
Tacitus Offline

Since they never measured recycling compliance before this change, and they aren't measuring it now, they can remain blissfully ignorant of the effects. After all, increasing compliance was less important than neat, straight rows of trash bins.

Don't be so sure about the fines - it will be greeted as a new source of fee income to fund the next lunatic project

#1504348 --- 09/01/17 10:06 AM Re: New Trash Rules in Geneva [Re: Tacitus]
justacitizen Offline

Matt Horn would love to collect more fines on people so he can spend money on wacky projects while he "balances" the budget. Maybe they can build that silly sign across Exchange Street with recycle bottles.

#1504559 --- 09/08/17 12:15 PM Re: New Trash Rules in Geneva [Re: Let's be frank]
scwoodchuck Online   content

Loc: LOST IN SPACE
Originally Posted By: Let's be frank
May I state that I have NEVER seen so much Recycle Trash in Geneva in my life - the reason??? Most folks (including us) can't remember which week is the RECYCLE week or not. Consequently - there are overloaded recycle bins all OVER Geneva - and please don't tell me that the CITY will now FINE us because we can't remember which week recycle falls on!!!
OK, let's be frank, let's be frank ! Do you realize that a lot of that stuff you see in recycling bins actually ends up in the landfill ? You should look into it , you'll be surprised.

#1504785 --- 09/15/17 07:14 AM Re: New Trash Rules in Geneva [Re: Tacitus]
tag2 Offline

As a senior citizen I have a physical problem with the new rules. I do not have room for an additional larger tote in my garage. Right now, I use my own container marked as "recycle" which has wheels. I requested a smaller tote (on wheels) for my garbage since the larger one took up too much room and was hard for me to handle. With these new rules I will be forced to put my recycling tote in the back yard which makes it impossible for me to put out since I would have to drag/roll it through grass, rain, snow to put it out. We have to keep our totes out of sight per city rules and that means inside my garage. With this new rule I would just stop recycling since there is enough room in my smaller tote to put both garbage and recycling items. It seems that this negates using special recycling totes. Cassella provides 2 totes now - one for garbage and one for recycling. I DON'T use Cassella because of the size of their totes and the cost. My supplier provides a smaller pick up container for recycling. I don't use it since it is too hard for me to handle, hence my own solution which works well for me.

#1504790 --- 09/15/17 08:05 AM Re: New Trash Rules in Geneva [Re: tag2]
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: tag2
As a senior citizen I have a physical problem with the new rules.

it appears that councilor camera did not put much thought that some people may have limitations on the larger totes

people should have a choice between a small or large tote

#1504854 --- 09/18/17 11:17 AM Re: New Trash Rules in Geneva [Re: Tacitus]
Let's be frank Offline

Trash bill came today - "thank you so much" City of Geneva for interfering between the rights of your residents (to choose the rubbish carrier they want at the price they want) and your demands WHERE these private companies dispose of their trash. Once again - our bill is $20 higher (that's $80 a year) - thanks to your interference. Mind your own business! Are you next planning to tell us what Cable company we can/can't use??

#1504858 --- 09/18/17 03:04 PM Re: New Trash Rules in Geneva [Re: Tacitus]
Tacitus Offline

They already tell you what cable company you can use, Frank. And tax you on it at the same time. Maybe the income can fund a recycling inspector to give you a ticket if you put a pizza carton in the wrong place.

#1504932 --- 09/20/17 09:02 PM Re: New Trash Rules in Geneva [Re: Tacitus]
Let's be frank Offline

Call me dumb, but my wife and I still don't understand how the CITY can legally regulate where our trash company dumps its trash. We have lived in towns where the property taxes INCLUDED trash & recycle (as we all know, Geneva is not such a place) - in that case, we could see how the City had the right to "input" about trash/recycle. Geneva has NO RIGHT to dictate where our trash company dumps its trash. I resent paying $20 more per quarter to our company and getting recycle once every 2 weeks instead of every week. Isn't anyone else upset by this or are we all just sheep awaiting the slaughter??

#1504934 --- 09/21/17 06:06 AM Re: New Trash Rules in Geneva [Re: Tacitus]
Tacitus Offline

I would assume it's part of the City's power to issue a "franchise to operate". If you want a franchise, you pay a (now much higher) fee and agree to certain terms of operation. Given the issues at SMI this may have (accidentally) been a good idea.

Yes, many of us are upset, and the FLT article yesterday indicates that the City may be willing to take another look at this process. For example, if the goal is increased recycling, why every 2 weeks in enormous bins? My suggestion would be have the City issue a press release that describes the new rules and the reasoning behind them.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3