FingerLakes1.com Forums
Topic Options
#1497680 --- 04/12/17 07:58 AM Waterfront Development
linxman Offline

Loc: ny
Just looking for some information, I am all for parks and places to get out and run or be with family... but does the park NEED to be that big?

I am seeing a cute little row of shops in between the hotel and the visitors center... bringing people down by the lake... with food, and gift shops.... I mean, is this in the works? have it been addressed or talked about?

I mean even the area on the other side of the tunnel under 5&20... seems there is a mess there... maybe for a reason?

please note: I am not saying "GET RID OF THE PARK!!!" at all... just want to have a discussion about bringing commerce down to the lake and utilizing this beautiful gem we have in our area....

FOUR!

FingerLakes1.com
#1497735 --- 04/13/17 10:20 AM Re: Waterfront Development [Re: linxman]
FLaker Offline

Loc: Finger Lakes
The open expansive lakefront affords the public a spectacular view and recreation area to enjoy. Folks driving up from the mid-Atlantic routinely rave about the view.

A primary resistance to lakefront development is that there is ample commercial space available to develop and redevelop in and around Geneva that's not on the lake.

Many in the opposition argue "why must society commercialize and destroy everything, especially when there are so many alternative shovel ready sites available?"

Additionally, commercialization leads to commercialization. It's a slippery slope. "We're generating revenue. Let's develop more of the lakefront so more revenue can be generated."

There have been alternative suggestions to full-fledged development that some support. One is a "food truck rodeo area" where commerce can take place without significantly altering the lakefront.

I used to be in the development camp, but after returning to the area after a long stint in the Midwest, I've come appreciate just how special the open and undeveloped lakefront area is.

#1497747 --- 04/13/17 02:27 PM Re: Waterfront Development [Re: linxman]
ruby2 Offline

I appreciate the open undeveloped lake.  I might say I love it!  Some look at the lake and see dollar signs and not the expansive beauty of the place.  Not all beautiful places need to be developed and commercialized and then eventually end up being destroyed.  We are blessed that most Genevans see this and have said no to development.  We don't need developers to trash and commercialize the lake, pollute the water, create more garbage, require more police and city involvement on all levels.  That lake is our Goddess.   Developers, stop lusting to possess and change her.  She belongs to all of us no matter what our status or race, whatever, poor and rich alike.  That's a beautiful thing!   Come visit us and enjoy this virtually untouched treasure we love and enjoy.  It's a grand site to see.

The food truck idea, not being perminant, seems a good way to go.  I just love that lake.  I do wish there were more trees around it for shade.  City of Geneva, make a seriously, sincere, strong commitment to leave the lake undeveloped long into the future, then commit to planting trees that will stand as our legacy for future generations to enjoy.  Yeah, plant some trees with little plaques on them that read "Here stands a tree by the lake for you to freely enjoy.  But for the people of Geneva and their love of beauty, a condo might be standing here with a private beach you are not permitted to walk on or enjoy."

#1497773 --- 04/14/17 08:01 AM Re: Waterfront Development [Re: linxman]
ruby2 Offline

In my last sentence, I want to add the words "for its own sake" after the word "beauty". Reading , ...the people of Geneva and their love of beauty for its own sake, a....

#1497795 --- 04/15/17 07:46 PM Re: Waterfront Development [Re: linxman]
DR. D Offline

Loc: Waterloo/Seneca Falls/Junius/T...
Took a walk down there a bit ago its coming along nicely.....one question though.........when is the road going to be fixed in front of it??? It is seriously smoother driving through the construction zone on pultney street than driving down 5&20.

#1497841 --- 04/17/17 10:06 AM Re: Waterfront Development [Re: DR. D]
Hello_Governer Offline

Loc: New York, Seneca
It's my opinion that the road should be raised so a tunnel can be built under it where the creek goes under it. Because the lake front used to be the old city dump I would recommend extensive testing so they don't end up with another situation like the old foundry site. Lead contamination was caused back when there was lead in gas.

#1497842 --- 04/17/17 10:28 AM Re: Waterfront Development [Re: DR. D]
Hello_Governer Offline

Loc: New York, Seneca
Chuck is sitting here laughing. He said that the whole idea of devoloping the lake front is to attract people downtown, so why would you even think of putting things there that will draw people away from downtown. Chuck thinks somebody is trying to pull a fast one.

#1497844 --- 04/17/17 11:06 AM Re: Waterfront Development [Re: linxman]
Kells Offline

I think that the people of Geneva would be crazy to trust developers in this area. Look at Canandaigua... they allowed the building of a lakefront hotel on their waterfront, only to find the project fall apart. Now what's proposed for the site? That's right... housing for rich people.

There are plenty of places for rich people to live around Seneca Lake without ruining Geneva's lakefront too. If they must develop, finding something that will bring in revenue AND be accessible to all is a must, IMHO.