FingerLakes1.com Forums
Topic Options
#1493156 --- 12/08/16 06:24 AM Murder at Wal-Mart: Standoff in Progress
newsman38 Offline

Loc: Fourth Estate
STANDOFF IN PROGRESS: Suspect from overnight killing fires long gun at police

Ithaca Police Department Public Information Officer Jamie Williamson released a statement on the murder, and subsequent murder investigation, which was launched after authorities say they were called to the Ithaca Walmart around 12:52 am for the report of a shooting.

While the investigation has led police to a suspect, and what they believe is his residence – a standoff is happening at this time.

Police were called to 135 Fairgrounds Memorial Parkway regarding the report of a shooting outside in the parking lot. After arriving and finding one male victim deceased in the parking lot, a male suspect fled the area. While officers did not see the male suspect flee the area, they say that officers from Cayuga Heights Police Department, as well as the Tompkins County Sheriff’s Office observed a vehicle matching the description of the suspect’s traveling northbound on Route 13.

Officers merged behind the vehicle and attempted to stop it on Route 13 near the intersection of Route 366. However, the vehicle refused to stop and continued for approximately a quarter-of-a-mile before pulling into a driveway. Williamson says the suspect exited the vehicle and fired a long gun at police. He then fled toward an area believed to be his residence.

Williamson says that a perimeter has been established and officers are proceeding methodically to secure the area and apprehend the suspect. Several tactical teams are on the scene and the impacted area has been cordoned off. The neighborhood is being evacuated, as well, to keep residents safe. Motorists are being urged to use other routes to avoid the area.

Department on the scene include: The Ithaca Police Department, Tompkins County Sheriff’s Department, New York State Police, Cayuga Heights Police Department, Tompkins County Department of Emergency Response, Syracuse Police Department and the Tompkins County District Attorney’s office.

| Updated: 12/08/2016 @ 07:16 am

Police: Homicide suspect fired gun at police, officials investigating Ithaca killing

Officials are asking people to avoid the 1200 block of Dryden Road and 366 West.

Emeregency perssonell have notified TCAT, the Ithaca City School District and Dryden School District of the road closures and incidents.

DECEMBER 8, 2016
BY JOLENE ALMENDAREZ

FingerLakes1.com
#1493164 --- 12/08/16 11:20 AM Re: Murder at Wal-Mart: Standoff in Progress [Re: newsman38]
Teonan Offline

Loc: West End

Update: Suspect reportedly in custody after fatal shooting outside Ithaca Wal-Mart

Read on/view press conference: http://ithacavoice.com/2016/12/ithaca-police-scene-fatal-incident/

#1493169 --- 12/08/16 03:41 PM Re: Murder at Wal-Mart: Standoff in Progress [Re: Teonan]
newsman38 Offline

Suspect arraigned, victim identified

The man accused of a fatally shooting a UPS driver Thursday morning was arraigned in Ithaca City Court.

The suspect has been identified as 38-year-old Justin Barkley, of Dryden. Barkley has been charged with second-degree murder, a felony.

Investigators have determined that the suspect and victim, identified as William Schumacher, 52, of Candor, did not know each other prior to the shooting. Police said Barkley and Schumacher did not have any prior interactions with each other.

Barkley was arraigned before Judge Scott Miller at about 3:30 p.m. Barkley was represented by attorney Lance Salisbury.

Barkley was remanded to the Tompkins County Jail without bail.

Barkley is due to reappear in court at 8:45 a.m. Dec. 14.

#1493170 --- 12/08/16 06:10 PM Re: Murder at Wal-Mart: Standoff in Progress [Re: newsman38]
Teonan Offline

Wrong place, wrong time. Sad indeed. frown

"Both men lived near Ithaca in central New York — Schumacher in Candor and Barkley in Dryden. But police said they did not know each other and had no prior interaction with one another.

Barkley was charged with second-degree murder and sent to jail without bail.

Susan Rosenberg, a spokeswoman for the Atlanta-based package delivery company, said the driver was a seasonal employee who had stopped to get something to eat during his overnight shift. She said he was about four weeks into his second stint as a seasonal driver of a tractor-trailer hauling packages between UPS processing hubs.

"We're very saddened by the situation," Rosenberg said."

Read on: http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/police-standoff-suspect-ups-drivers-shooting-44059054

#1493279 --- 12/14/16 06:42 AM Re: Murder at Wal-Mart: Standoff in Progress [Re: Teonan]
Teonan Offline

Perp wearing a Pullman Brown (UPS color) hoodie and glowing smile in mugshot, begs a couple more questions:

Bush league hit-man?

"Self-radicalized"?

Huh.

7 questions answered about the Ithaca homicide

After interviews with both men's family, friends and co-workers, police confirmed again Monday that there has been no connection found between the two men.

Ithaca Police Officer Jamie Williamson said Monday that there has been, "...nothing uncovered to suggest, even remotely suggest, that they knew each other."

Read on: http://ithacavoice.com/2016/12/7-questions-answered-ithaca-homicide/

#1493447 --- 12/19/16 03:51 PM 'I Shot Trump': Wal-Mart Murder suspect [Re: newsman38]
newsman38 Offline

Man accused of Ithaca homicide: 'I shot and killed Donald Trump purposely... proudly

ITHACA, N.Y. -- An Ithaca man accused of killing a UPS driver from Candor said in court Monday afternoon that not only did he believe he shot and killed Donald Trump, but that no evidence could be presented to him to suggest otherwise.

Justin R. Barkley, 38, said during his arraignment and subsequent attempt to plead guilty, "I shot and killed Donald Trump purposely, intentionally and very proudly."

He told the court that he knew where president elect Donald Trump would be on Dec. 8 and waited in the Ithaca Walmart parking lot kill him.

"I went there to purposely shoot and kill him and put him down," Barkley said.

He told the court that he understood the difference between mistaking a person for being Trump and asserting that he actually killed Trump. When asked if any evidence could be presented to him to suggest he killed a different person, he said, "I would hope not."

Behind him in court, victim William Schumacher's family cried and shook as Barkley made his statements.

Barkley has been indicted for the felonies of second-degree murder and menacing a police officer or peace officer.

On Dec. 8, court documents show that Barkley allegedly admitted to shooting a person to death and firing a "sound shot" at police officers attempting to take him in to custody. His actions sparked a nearly eight-hour standoff with police which ended with no further injuries when he turned himself in to police.

Barkley, who is being represented by attorney James Baker, attempted to plead guilty to the charges against him Monday afternoon. Before being sworn in for the guilty plea, he declined to further consider a not guilty plea by reason of mental disease or defect.

But after making his statements about Donald Trump, a short recess was called where attorneys met in private with Judge John Rowley.

When they returned, Rowley said he was initially prepared to accept Barkley's plea, but the man's statements gave him pause.

"I hadn't been concerned until we got to the oath," Rowley said.

He asked Barkley if it would be possible for the defendant to plead guilty and confess that he mistook Schumacher for Trump.

"I would not agree to that your honor," Barkley said, noting that he has never met a man named William Schumacher before.

"I am not going to accept your guilty plea," Rowley said, though he noted he does not intend to unnecessarily prolong the prosecution of Barkley.

Attorney Baker argued he did not believe his client had to differentiate who he killed during the plea, just that he had killed a person.

Assistant District Attorney Eliza Filipowski requested a mental evaluation of Barkley to determine whether he is competent to stand trial. The evaluation includes reports by multiple psychiatric examiners.

Barkley is scheduled to reappear in court at 2 p.m. Jan. 6 to address those two major aspects of the case.

DECEMBER 19, 2016 BY JOLENE ALMENDAREZ

#1493449 --- 12/19/16 04:02 PM Re: 'I Shot Trump': Wal-Mart Murder suspect [Re: newsman38]
Teonan Offline

Clever ploy Mr. Barkley. whistle

#1493465 --- 12/19/16 10:10 PM Re: 'I Shot Trump': Wal-Mart Murder suspect [Re: newsman38]
the Federalist Offline

Loc: the America made great again
If he had said he thought he was killing any Democrat, including Hillary or Obama this would be a top story across the nation, and the center-left media would be blaming it on a "climate of hate."

My sympathy to the victims family. Maybe now the #Nevertrumpers will tone down the angry rhetoric.

#1493496 --- 12/21/16 10:26 AM Re: 'I Shot Trump': Wal-Mart Murder suspect [Re: newsman38]
newsman38 Offline

DID MEDIA'S ANTI-TRUMP HYSTERIA CAUSE MURDER OF UPS DRIVER? the murder of an innocent man is another example of how the media's climate of hate can backfire. Did the media's paranoid fantasies about Trump feed into Barkley's paranoid fantasies?

#1493519 --- 12/21/16 08:20 PM Ithaca Murder: Limbaugh Weighs In [Re: newsman38]
newsman38 Offline

Man murders UPS driver thinking it was Trump, media silent : The case has received some coverage in New York media as well as Britain’s Daily Mail, but has not received much national attention, which was noted by radio host Rush Limbaugh, who felt the case would be a lead story if someone shot a woman believing her to be the Democratic Party presidential nominee.

#1493593 --- 12/24/16 06:38 AM Re: 'I Shot Trump': Wal-Mart Murder suspect [Re: Teonan]
newsman38 Offline

Originally Posted By: Teonan

Hell, I don’t mind whatsoever if Trump’s neo-Nazi fan club knows we’re not entirely helpless against them...US liberals are now buying guns too
http://forums.fingerlakes1.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1493588#Post1493588

#1493594 --- 12/24/16 08:27 AM Re: 'I Shot Trump': Wal-Mart Murder suspect [Re: newsman38]
Teonan Offline

Sardonic smile here.

Watching you amble from the negative into the bizarre and flaccid feeble zone...so sad.

Truly hoping you enjoy a Merry Christmas badnewsman38.

#1493595 --- 12/24/16 08:35 AM Re: 'I Shot Trump': Wal-Mart Murder suspect [Re: newsman38]
newsman38 Offline

‘Mainstream Media Normalizing Anti-Social Behavior Against Donald Trump’:

[former Secret Service agent Dan] Bongino who served in the agency’s Presidential Protection Division for both President George W. Bush and President Barack Obama, says “unlike many in the mainstream media, I’ve actually interviewed people who have threatened the president. These are the ones who can have trigger moments that can happen based on something they’ve read or seen.”

“That’s the problem I have with the media now,” Bongino says, noting that it applied a very different standard of reporting to President Obama than they are now applying to President-elect Trump.

“The media had that gatekeeper role, when it came to reporting on comments about President Obama....But with President-elect Trump, they are reporting every outlandish allegation, often without providing any balance in the story,” the former Secret Service agent and New York City Police Department officer says.

The result, he says, is to “normalize anti-social behavior” against the President-elect.

Hell, I don’t mind whatsoever if Trump’s neo-Nazi fan club knows we’re not entirely helpless against them...US liberals are now buying guns too

Clever ploy Mr. Barkley. whistle

#1493596 --- 12/24/16 08:51 AM Re: 'I Shot Trump': Wal-Mart Murder suspect [Re: newsman38]
Teonan Offline

Treating us to another display of your contextual ignorance newsman38? Wow. crazy

#1495478 --- 02/16/17 09:37 AM Re: 'I Shot Trump': Wal-Mart Murder suspect [Re: Teonan]
newsman38 Offline

Accused Walmart Killer Faces Prior Charges, Opposes Mother’s Custody Request

The Ithaca man accused of fatally shooting and driving over a UPS driver in the Ithaca Walmart parking lot is also facing misdemeanor charges in Lansing Town Court for allegedly punching and choking a store clerk months before the Walmart incident, court documents show.

Justin Barkley, 38, arrived in Tompkins County Supreme Court on Wednesday morning to argue against his mother’s request for guardianship. Linda Edwards, Barkley’s mother, filed a petition with the court in January requesting custody of her son and the ability to make legal decisions for him

Barkley is “totally unable to speak realistically, accurately or coherently about the situation which he faces,” his mother said in the petition, noting that he had been ruled incompetent to stand the murder trial by two psychiatrists. In addition to requesting the ability to make legal decisions for her son, Edwards also asked for the power to make medical decisions for Barkley and manage his
In a handwritten letter sent by Barkley to the court, he requested a jury trial in the custody case and asked that the judge appoint an attorney to defend him.

“I do not want the counsel to have permission to inspect my medical, psychological or psychiatric records,” Barkley wrote in the letter.

Documents from Lansing Town Court raise new questions about the mental health status of Barkley, who in December claimed he had killed President Donald Trump outside of Walmart and who has been ruled incompetent to stand trial by two psychiatrists.

Barkley is facing two misdemeanor charges — menacing and falsely reporting a crime — for allegedly punching and choking a store clerk at the Triphammer Marketplace on Aug. 26, according to court documents that have not been previously reported.

A manager at Planted Earth said a man entered the hydroponics and garden supply shop at Triphammer Marketplace on Aug. 26 claiming he had lost his wallet, but then began punching the manager and accusing him of raping his girlfriend, according to a statement given to State Police under penalty of perjury.

After trying to choke the manager, the man called 911 and spoke with an operator before leaving the store and riding away on a white Harley Davidson motorcycle, the manager said in the deposition.

A State Police officer said in a complaint that Barkley called 911 claiming his girlfriend was being raped and assaulted by the store clerk before screaming “send help” and hanging up. The officer says Barkley’s claims were entirely false.

Attorney Michael Perehinec, who is representing Barkley in Lansing Town Court, said the case has not been dismissed but was put on hold after Barkley was charged with the Walmart murder.

By Nicholas Bogel-Burroughs

#1495549 --- 02/18/17 06:37 AM Re: 'I Shot Trump': Wal-Mart Murder suspect [Re: newsman38]
Teonan Offline

What went wrong? Ithaca Wal-Mart shooter surrendered gun months before homicide; was in a psychiatric ward at CMC

by Jolene Almendarez
The Ithaca Voice

February 17, 2017

An Ithaca man accused of a fatal shooting in a Wal-Mart parking lot was voluntarily committed into a psychiatric ward and surrendered his pistol about three months prior to the homicide.

Justin Barkley, 38, is charged with second-degree murder after police say he shot William Schumacher in the chest with a .30-06 caliber rifle and ran him over on Dec. 8, 2016. Barkley is accused of fleeing the scene, firing a "sound shot" at officers who chased him to his home, and instigating an eight-hour standoff with police. He is also charged with menacing a police officer or peace officer.

Newly released police records show that he attacked a man in Lansing, had another confrontation with police at his home, was committed to a psychiatric ward, and surrendered his gun to a Tompkins County Sheriff's deputy.

Read on: https://ithacavoice.com/2017/02/went-wro...atric-ward-cmc/

#1496434 --- 03/09/17 09:46 AM Re: 'I Shot Trump': Wal-Mart Murder suspect [Re: newsman38]
newsman38 Offline

Records hint at Barkley's mental issues: Sheriff's office records recently released by Freedom of Information Law, along with court papers, shed light on Barkley's purported mental health issues that have become central to his prosecution in Tompkins County Court on a second-degree murder indictment for the death of 52-year-old Candor resident William Schumacher. In January, Barkley was ruled mentally incompetent for trial pending further evaluation and a March 17 court appearance is scheduled.

#1496735 --- 03/17/17 02:33 PM Re: 'I Shot Trump': Wal-Mart Murder suspect [Re: newsman38]
newsman38 Offline

Man accused of murder at Wal-Mart pleads 'not guilty'

Justin Barkley, accused of murdering a man in the Ithaca Wal-Mart parking lot in December, has been found competent enough to stand trial and pleaded not guilty at a new arraignment Friday.

Barkley, 38, has been charged with second-degree murder and menacing a police officer. He is accused of shooting and running over 52-year-old William Schumacher, a UPS driver from Candor. At his first arraignment in December, Barkley was in the process of pleading guilty until he told the court he was sure he shot and killed Donald Trump that night.

"I shot and killed Donald Trump purposely, intentionally and very proudly," Barkley said at the arraignment.

Judge John Rowley, who is presiding over the case, did not accept his plea in December.

On Jan. 19, Barkley was deemed not competent to stand trial and Judge John Rowley -- with evaluations from two psychiatrists -- ordered that Barkley be admitted to a psychiatric facility to further evaluate his competency.

Barkley briefly appeared in court Friday afternoon, where Rowley said there is no reason to believe Barkley is not competent enough to proceed. They had a brief arraignment.

Rowley said a trial will likely not be scheduled until August or October. He also said it is unlikely Barkley will be released at all before trial.

MARCH 17, 2017
BY KELSEY O'CONNOR

#1498766 --- 05/14/17 07:58 AM Re: 'I Shot Trump': Wal-Mart Murder suspect [Re: newsman38]
newsman38 Offline

Accused Ithaca Wal-Mart shooter rejects plea offer: In the meantime, jury selection for his case has been scheduled to begin on Sept. 14.