FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 9 of 19 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 18 19 >
Topic Options
#1383520 --- 01/20/13 10:26 AM Re: Quotable quotes [Re: twocats]
Teonan Offline

Loc: West End

"We d[o] not hesitate to call our movement an army. But it was a special army, with no supplies but its sincerity, no uniform but its determination, no arsenal except its faith, no currency but its conscience".

~Martin Luther King, Jr., Why We Can't Wait, 1963

FingerLakes1.com
#1383626 --- 01/21/13 11:58 AM Re: Quotable quotes [Re: Teonan]
twocats Offline
Silver Member

Loc: NYS
We may have some serious problems, but there are some things I am grateful for on this Inauguration Day.

“We are not going to have a Supreme Court that will overturn Roe vs. Wade. There will be no more Antonin Scalias and Samuel Alitos added to this court. We’re not going to repeal health reform. Nobody’s going to kill Medicare and make old people in this generation — or any other generation — fight it out on the open market to try to get themselves health insurance. We’re not going to give the 20% tax cut to millionaires and billionaires, and expect [cutting] programs like food stamps and kids’ health insurance to cover that tax cut. We’re not going to make you clear it with your boss if you want to get birth control with the insurance plan that you’re on. We are not going to redefine rape. We are not going to amend the constitution to stop gay people from getting married. We’re not going to double down on Guantanamo. We’re not eliminating the Department of Energy, the Department of Education, or Housing at the Federal level. We are not going to spend two trillion dollars on the military, that the military does not want. We are not scaling back on student loans because the country’s NEW plan is that you should borrow money from your parents. We are not vetoing the Dream Act, we are not ‘self-deporting.’ We are not letting Detroit go bankrupt. We are not starting a trade war with China on Inauguration Day in January. We are not going to have — as a president — a man who once led a mob of friends to run down a scared gay kid to hold him down and forcibly cut his hair off with a pair of scissors while that kid cried and screamed for help. (And there was NO apology, not EVER.) We are not going to have a Secretary of State John Bolton. We are not going to bring Dick Cheney Back. We are not going to have a foreign policy shop stocked with architects of the Iraq war … We had the choice to do that if we wanted to do that, as a country, and we said no, loudly.” – Rachel Maddow

#1383640 --- 01/21/13 12:41 PM Re: Quotable quotes [Re: twocats]
Teonan Offline

Originally Posted By: twocats
We may have some serious problems, but there are some things I am grateful for on this Inauguration Day.

“We are not going to have a Supreme Court that will overturn Roe vs. Wade. There will be no more Antonin Scalias and Samuel Alitos added to this court. We’re not going to repeal health reform. Nobody’s going to kill Medicare and make old people in this generation — or any other generation — fight it out on the open market to try to get themselves health insurance. We’re not going to give the 20% tax cut to millionaires and billionaires, and expect [cutting] programs like food stamps and kids’ health insurance to cover that tax cut. We’re not going to make you clear it with your boss if you want to get birth control with the insurance plan that you’re on. We are not going to redefine rape. We are not going to amend the constitution to stop gay people from getting married. We’re not going to double down on Guantanamo. We’re not eliminating the Department of Energy, the Department of Education, or Housing at the Federal level. We are not going to spend two trillion dollars on the military, that the military does not want. We are not scaling back on student loans because the country’s NEW plan is that you should borrow money from your parents. We are not vetoing the Dream Act, we are not ‘self-deporting.’ We are not letting Detroit go bankrupt. We are not starting a trade war with China on Inauguration Day in January. We are not going to have — as a president — a man who once led a mob of friends to run down a scared gay kid to hold him down and forcibly cut his hair off with a pair of scissors while that kid cried and screamed for help. (And there was NO apology, not EVER.) We are not going to have a Secretary of State John Bolton. We are not going to bring Dick Cheney Back. We are not going to have a foreign policy shop stocked with architects of the Iraq war … We had the choice to do that if we wanted to do that, as a country, and we said no, loudly.” – Rachel Maddow

I could not agree with you more tc. Right ON Ms. Maddow.

#1384027 --- 01/22/13 03:36 PM Re: Quotable quotes [Re: Teonan]
twocats Offline
Silver Member

#1384511 --- 01/25/13 07:34 AM Re: Quotable quotes [Re: twocats]
Teonan Offline

Right on twocats.

“The worst illiterate is the political illiterate, he doesn’t hear, doesn’t speak, nor participates in the political events. He doesn’t know the cost of life, the price of the bean, of the fish, of the flour, of the rent, of the shoes and of the medicine, all depends on political decisions. The political illiterate is so stupid that he is proud and swells his chest saying that he hates politics. The imbecile doesn’t know that, from his political ignorance is born the prostitute, the abandoned child, and the worst thieves of all, the bad politician, corrupted and flunky of the national and multinational companies.”

― Bertolt Brecht

#1384979 --- 01/28/13 08:30 AM Re: Quotable quotes [Re: Teonan]
Teonan Offline

It was three years ago that we lost Howard Zinn, teacher, historian, activist, optimist, radical speaker of truth to power. He is missed.

"If history is to be creative, to anticipate a possible future, without denying the past, it should, I believe, emphasize new possibilities by disclosing those hidden episodes of the past, when, even if in brief flashes, people showed their ability to resist, to join together, occasionally to win. I am supposing, or perhaps only hoping, that our future may be found in the past’s fugitive moments of compassion rather than its solid centuries of warfare."

#1385109 --- 01/28/13 06:05 PM Re: Quotable quotes [Re: Teonan]
twocats Offline
Silver Member

Howard Zinn's Education Project lives on! \:\)

#1385554 --- 01/31/13 07:37 PM Re: Quotable quotes [Re: twocats]
twocats Offline
Silver Member

#1386896 --- 02/11/13 05:52 PM Re: Quotable quotes [Re: twocats]
twocats Offline
Silver Member

So very true. It's your time; don't waste it.

#1386924 --- 02/11/13 07:58 PM Re: Quotable quotes [Re: twocats]
Teonan Offline

Rock ON Billy!

#1386928 --- 02/11/13 08:05 PM Re: Quotable quotes [Re: twocats]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Ship of Fools
LOL...it's now my regret that they didn't take girls, for TWO reasons, instead of one.

“The very least you can do in your life is figure out what you hope for. And the most you can do is live inside that hope. Not admire it from a distance but live right in it, under its roof.”
― Barbara Kingsolver, Animal Dreams

Note to Teo, mostly:

Kitty opined that this thread had devolved to quotes advocating various political philosophies. She's right, and I think it ruins the thread. I may actually have started that; if I did, I've regretted it, and for a while, I've been selecting from "optimism quotes". This last one is from a saved list of 1400 "hope quotes".

Like many, I have strong opinions about political philosophy, but there are other threads for that; I'm going to try to concentrate on uplifting, inspiring quotes. As a practical matter, they make me feel better. \:\)

#1386958 --- 02/11/13 11:42 PM Re: Quotable quotes [Re: VM Smith]
Teonan Offline

I wholeheartedly agree VM. To 'walk in balance', essential for our well-being.

Treading common ground...along this path anyway. ;\)

Namaste
- T

"Your hand opens and closes, opens and closes. If it were always a fist or always stretched open, you would be paralysed. Your deepest presence is in every small contracting and expanding, the two as beautifully balanced and coordinated as birds' wings.”

- Jalal ad-Din Muhammad Rumi

#1387453 --- 02/15/13 02:12 PM Re: Quotable quotes [Re: Teonan]
Teonan Offline

It always seemed strange to me that the things we admire in men - kindness and generosity, openness, honesty, understanding and feeling, are the concomitants of failure in our system. And those traits we detest - sharpness, greed, acquisitiveness, meanness, egotism and self-interest, are the traits of success. And while men admire the quality of the first, they love the produce of the second.

- John Steinbeck

#1387714 --- 02/18/13 08:04 AM Re: Quotable quotes [Re: Teonan]
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: USA
ask not what your country can do for you but what you can do for your country

mr K

#1388050 --- 02/20/13 10:00 AM Re: Quotable quotes [Re: Teonan]
twocats Offline
Silver Member

#1388157 --- 02/20/13 07:49 PM Re: Quotable quotes [Re: twocats]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Ship of Fools
Dorothy Parker:

You can't teach an old dogma new tricks.
Quoted in The Algonquin Wits (1968) edited by Robert E. Drennan

It serves me right for putting all my eggs in one bastard.
On her abortion, as quoted in You Might as well Live by John Keats (1970)

You can lead a horticulture, but you can't make her think.
Parker's answer when asked to use the word horticulture during a game of Can-You-Give-Me-A-Sentence?, as quoted in You Might as well Live by John Keats (1970)

#1388890 --- 02/25/13 09:01 PM Re: Quotable quotes [Re: VM Smith]
twocats Offline
Silver Member

#1390378 --- 03/05/13 08:06 PM Re: Quotable quotes [Re: twocats]
twocats Offline
Silver Member

HA!

#1390401 --- 03/05/13 10:12 PM Re: Quotable quotes [Re: bluezone]
I did it! Offline

Loc: West Coast 29 Palms
Originally Posted By: bluezone
ask not what your country can do for you but what you can do for your country

mr K

I have always loved this one.
It's getting time we the people take back our country or live under a dictatorship.

#1390402 --- 03/05/13 10:14 PM Re: Quotable quotes [Re: I did it!]
I did it! Offline

Loc: West Coast 29 Palms
Teonan, I must say if this is yours or a C&P it's great either way.
""If history is to be creative, to anticipate a possible future, without denying the past, it should, I believe, emphasize new possibilities by disclosing those hidden episodes of the past, when, even if in brief flashes, people showed their ability to resist, to join together, occasionally to win. I am supposing, or perhaps only hoping, that our future may be found in the past’s fugitive moments of compassion rather than its solid centuries of warfare."

Page 9 of 19 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 18 19 >