Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1496477 --- 03/10/17 12:15 PM The Exhaustion of American Liberalism
ThomasDecker Offline

Loc: Saint Regis
The Exhaustion of American Liberalism
The Wall Street Journal
By Shelby Steele | The Wall Street Journal – Mon, Mar 6, 2017 12:20 PM NZDT

The recent flurry of marches, demonstrations and even riots, along with the Democratic Party’s spiteful reaction to the Trump presidency, exposes what modern liberalism has become: a politics shrouded in pathos. Unlike the civil-rights movement of the 1950s and ’60s, when protesters wore their Sunday best and carried themselves with heroic dignity, today’s liberal marches are marked by incoherence and downright lunacy—hats designed to evoke sexual organs, poems that scream in anger yet have no point to make, and an hysterical anti-Americanism.

All this suggests lostness, the end of something rather than the beginning. What is ending?

America, since the ’60s, has lived through what might be called an age of white guilt. We may still be in this age, but the Trump election suggests an exhaustion with the idea of white guilt, and with the drama of culpability, innocence and correctness in which it mires us.

White guilt is not actual guilt. Surely most whites are not assailed in the night by feelings of responsibility for America’s historical mistreatment of minorities. Moreover, all the actual guilt in the world would never be enough to support the hegemonic power that the mere pretense of guilt has exercised in American life for the last half-century.

https://nz.finance.yahoo.com/news/exhaustion-american-liberalism-232000417.html

FingerLakes1.com
#1496480 --- 03/10/17 12:49 PM Re: The Exhaustion of American Liberalism [Re: ThomasDecker]
Formermac Offline

ROTFLMAO, White guilt!!!!!! haven't heard that term since I left high and college. Now for a dose of reality, a nation of diversity, educated, women moving out of the kitchen and into the corporate arena are maybe a little exasperated of "White ignorance" a little attribute associated with narrow minded individuals taught the finer things in life based on privilege irrespective of if you earned or deserved it, worked well up till the 60s when those marches embolden people to fight against such ignorance. Good one!!!!!

let me guess, raise in a rural small town, very little education or skills, worked at the local factory until your job went to Mexico, now you're angry at every person and situation that exposes your lack of education and skill, so your impoverish life can be blamed on someone else other than yourself.

#1496483 --- 03/10/17 01:01 PM Re: The Exhaustion of American Liberalism [Re: ThomasDecker]
ThomasDecker Offline

#1496485 --- 03/10/17 01:12 PM Re: The Exhaustion of American Liberalism [Re: ThomasDecker]
Formermac Offline

Funny how you thought to submit a rubbish opinionated article that aligned itself with your narrow minded thought. It's been approximately 5 minutes since you've offered that opinion but factually, did you find that academia or ability to read blueprints? Didn't think so but the world has become very progressive to the extent that millions will get lost in the antiquated views of bigotry, racism, misogamy and diversity. Chuck Todd is better qualified to speak of what he knows and learned in life, unlike Trump and others who were told that a educated women is good for two things.....both are relegated to domestic duties.

#1496486 --- 03/10/17 01:19 PM Re: The Exhaustion of American Liberalism [Re: Formermac]
Formermac Offline

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...n-revealed.html

Donald Trump's Mom basically lived the lifestyle of most women of the era, you married, served your man and birth his children, life was great wasn't it? Tell us son, why did the offspring aspire to get educated and make the decisions to seek careers first?
Two former First lady whom I admire immensely, Laura Bush and Michelle Obama, neither are like the current, a trophy wife of little means and faithfully follows obediently in the footsteps of her domineering husband. She can teach our young girls how to dress and put on the proper amount of lipstick.

#1496487 --- 03/10/17 02:41 PM Re: The Exhaustion of American Liberalism [Re: ThomasDecker]
Teonan Offline

Loc: West End

ANOTHER bag of wank rehashed.

Same stinking "self-hating Jew" piffle leveled against Jewish supporters and activists for Palestinian human rights.

This oafish lout could be taken down in ten words or less by any conscious white sister or brothers; if it mattered one iota.

Spare your tommy-rot Tom. It matters even less.

#1496488 --- 03/10/17 02:52 PM Re: The Exhaustion of American Liberalism [Re: Teonan]
ThomasDecker Offline

BLUEXIT
A Modest Proposal For Separating Blue States From Red
By KEVIN BAKER
March 9, 2017

Dear Red-State Trump Voter,

Let’s face it, guys: We’re done.

For more than 80 years now, we—the residents of what some people like to call Blue America, but which I prefer to think of as the United States of We Pay Our Own Damn Way—have shelled out far more in federal tax monies than we took in. We have funded massive infrastructure projects in your rural counties, subsidized your schools and your power plants and your nursing homes, sent you entire industries, and simultaneously absorbed the most destitute, unskilled, and oppressed portions of your populations, white and black alike.

All of which, it turns out, only left you more bitter, white, and alt-right than ever.

Some folks here in self-supporting America like to believe that there must be a way to bring you back to your senses and to restore rational government, if not liberal ideals, sometime in the foreseeable future. Everyone seems to have an answer for

https://newrepublic.com/article/140948/bluexit-blue-states-exit-trump-red-america

Is this what you want Teonanacatl, a place of your own?

#1496490 --- 03/10/17 03:01 PM Re: The Exhaustion of American Liberalism [Re: Formermac]
ThomasDecker Offline

Originally Posted By: Formermac
Funny how you thought to submit a rubbish opinionated article that aligned itself with your narrow minded thought. It's been approximately 5 minutes since you've offered that opinion but factually, did you find that academia or ability to read blueprints? Didn't think so but the world has become very progressive to the extent that millions will get lost in the antiquated views of bigotry, racism, misogamy and diversity. Chuck Todd is better qualified to speak of what he knows and learned in life, unlike Trump and others who were told that a educated women is good for two things.....both are relegated to domestic duties.

"It's been approximately 5 minutes since you've offered that opinion but factually, did you find that academia or ability to read blueprints?"

Help me out here, would you?

I don't have a clue what your talking about!

#1496491 --- 03/10/17 03:09 PM Re: The Exhaustion of American Liberalism [Re: ThomasDecker]
Teonan Offline

crazy
Is THIS supposed to be a gusty reply somehow pertinent to my comment, or are ya just winging it to blather a pointless point?

#1496492 --- 03/10/17 03:28 PM Re: The Exhaustion of American Liberalism [Re: Formermac]
ThomasDecker Offline

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...n-revealed.html

Donald Trump's Mom basically lived the lifestyle of most women of the era, you married, served your man and birth his children, life was great wasn't it? Tell us son, why did the offspring aspire to get educated and make the decisions to seek careers first?
Two former First lady whom I admire immensely, Laura Bush and Michelle Obama, neither are like the current, a trophy wife of little means and faithfully follows obediently in the footsteps of her domineering husband. She can teach our young girls how to dress and put on the proper amount of lipstick.

"Donald Trump's Mom basically lived the lifestyle of most women of the era, you married, served your man and birth his children, life was great wasn't it?"

To be honest, I can't answer that question.
Reasons.
1.I'm not Presidents Trumps Mom.
2.I'm not a woman from that era.
3.I swear, I've never given birth to anyone.
4.I wasn't married to President Trumps Dad, or Mom.
5.I can't answer if life was great for them, or not, I was not there.

Tell us son, why did the offspring aspire to get educated and make the decisions to seek careers first?

I believe the young Donald Trump was driven, but I'm only guessing.

"Two former First lady whom I admire immensely, Laura Bush and Michelle Obama,

Why did you admire them?

"neither are like the current"

Really, you noticed too!

"a trophy wife of little means"
She is a trophy wife, and a nice one too, but of little means is incorrect, unlike you, she got the brass ring, and you got the slug.

"and faithfully follows obediently in the footsteps of her domineering husband."

A comment like this coming from a single man seems odd.

"She can teach our young girls how to dress and put on the proper amount of lipstick."

Better her than you.

#1496493 --- 03/10/17 03:49 PM Re: The Exhaustion of American Liberalism [Re: ThomasDecker]
Formermac Offline

ROTFLMAO, a 6th grade student would have done a better job at a rebuttal.

#1496494 --- 03/10/17 03:52 PM Re: The Exhaustion of American Liberalism [Re: ThomasDecker]
Formermac Offline

#1496496 --- 03/10/17 04:04 PM Re: The Exhaustion of American Liberalism [Re: Teonan]
Formermac Offline

Originally Posted By: Teonan

crazy
Is THIS supposed to be a gusty reply somehow pertinent to my comment, or are ya just winging it to blather a pointless point?

Every now and then, we are reminded that the system failed our citizens in some form or other.

#1496499 --- 03/10/17 05:13 PM Re: The Exhaustion of American Liberalism [Re: Formermac]
ThomasDecker Offline

Originally Posted By: Teonan

crazy

Every now and then, we are reminded that the system failed our citizens in some form or other.

I'm sorry that the "system broke down for you", but you know there comes a time when you have to move on, you know.

#1496500 --- 03/10/17 05:25 PM Re: The Exhaustion of American Liberalism [Re: ThomasDecker]
Formermac Offline

Lets go petty here son, Newly built home in 2013, new car, big pension, investments, 2 well educate kids, wife is a school principal, well you're right, I hope that it stays really bad. Now your turn, yes I'm laughing my a** off. Lastly, even I know when nonsensical offerings are the only tool left when a debate has been lost, thus the reason you go there often. Maybe facts can change your losing proposition. wink

#1496501 --- 03/10/17 05:30 PM Re: The Exhaustion of American Liberalism [Re: Formermac]
Formermac Offline

I initially thought that dignity would count in your favor but now see, that left several years ago when you were booted from the forum. You forget son, I patronize you because PMs are exposing your reality but keep hope alive by selling yourself big and lowering my standards, works for me if it works for me. grin
Mean while, lets get back to the topic YOU'VE created but quickly derailed.

#1496502 --- 03/10/17 06:12 PM Re: The Exhaustion of American Liberalism [Re: Formermac]
ThomasDecker Offline

Lets go petty here son, Newly built home in 2013, new car, big pension, investments, 2 well educate kids, wife is a school principal, well you're right, I hope that it stays really bad. Now your turn, yes I'm laughing my a** off. Lastly, even I know when nonsensical offerings are the only tool left when a debate has been lost, thus the reason you go there often. Maybe facts can change your losing proposition. wink

"I know when nonsensical offerings are the only tool left when a debate has been lost, thus the reason you go there often."

You finally hit your nail squarely on the head!

#1496503 --- 03/10/17 06:18 PM Re: The Exhaustion of American Liberalism [Re: Formermac]
Formermac Offline

I initially thought that dignity would count in your favor but now see, that left several years ago when you were booted from the forum. You forget son, I patronize you because PMs are exposing your reality but keep hope alive by selling yourself big and lowering my standards, works for me if it works for me. grin

Still off topic while offering no status other than that of PMs, who can blame you for avoiding fact.

#1496504 --- 03/10/17 06:28 PM Re: The Exhaustion of American Liberalism [Re: Formermac]
ThomasDecker Offline

First, you should understand the difference patronize, and torment!

#1496505 --- 03/10/17 06:29 PM Re: The Exhaustion of American Liberalism [Re: Formermac]
ThomasDecker Offline

Still off topic while offering no status other than that of PMs, who can blame you for avoiding fact.

???What??

#1496506 --- 03/10/17 08:55 PM Re: The Exhaustion of American Liberalism [Re: ThomasDecker]
Teonan Offline

Originally Posted By: ThomasDecker

???What??

Getting lit up on this thread has you sounding exhausted Tom. wink

#1496513 --- 03/11/17 08:52 AM Re: The Exhaustion of American Liberalism [Re: Formermac]
The Mechanic Offline

Loc: NY

Agreed! Liberalism has failed this country. People finally woke up and did something about the liberal disease that has plagued this country for decades. Go Trump!

#1496517 --- 03/11/17 02:09 PM Re: The Exhaustion of American Liberalism [Re: The Mechanic]
Formermac Offline

I would rather contend with being a Liberal any day and stick with my agenda of offering help toward the poor, aged individuals, and the disenfranchised adverse to the old stagnant racism, bigotry, hate and ignorance. Tell us, how is the well tuned mechanism working? Most smart Liberals remembers the Conservative Bush era in 2000-2008, turned out to be a near total destruction didn't it? Sadly another dysfunction of the GOP, dullards repeat the same ole same ole, expecting great results. We don't won't to itemize the list of missteps since January 20, 2017 on behalf of the GOP, it's embarrassing just to think about, let alone talk about. grin

#1496528 --- 03/12/17 05:45 AM Re: The Exhaustion of American Liberalism [Re: ThomasDecker]
kyle585 Offline
Silver Member

Loc: Somewhere out there
The one thing that bothers me the most about what Trump has said is “the press is the enemy of the people”. No it definitely is not! Let me give you two examples. Reference the 1965 Watts riots by black people in Los Angeles. The former Soviet Union, in an attempt to show how bad things were in America, showed some footage of the riots on their TV stations. But when the average person there saw the footage they saw black people driving cars! They were told in America black people were kept in chains! So it backfired on the Soviet Union. If you lived in the Soviet Union and the only news you got was government controlled news media you would tend to believe what they said. A second example is regarding the Sandy Hook School massacre in 2012 in Connecticut. There was video out saying no one died there. It was a staged hoax using child actors. You can check this out on Snopes if you want. Why don’t we believe that is true? Because we believe the mainstream news media that tells you it is not. This why we need a free press so badly.

#1496529 --- 03/12/17 05:45 AM Re: The Exhaustion of American Liberalism [Re: kyle585]
kyle585 Offline
Silver Member

Loc: Somewhere out there
How nations get dictators. First they get elected. Then they start complaining about the press. Members of the press either end up in jail or disappear. Soon the press is afraid to print anything except good news about him. Now the public either believes the press or are too afraid to say anything bad about him. When it is time for the next election the leader comes up with some reason to cancel the election. And bingo you have a dictator. Trump is well on his way. I get more afraid for the future of America every day.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >