A Conversation between iconic women’s rights leader Elizabeth Cady Stanton and past Auburn mayor Melina Carnicelli, one of the key organizers of the January 21 Seneca Falls Women’s March, could never take place.

Stanton died in October 1902. The next best thing may be a dialogue between Carnicelli and Melinda Grube, who has studied and portrayed Stanton for many years.

Such a dialogue is scheduled for 2:30pm Saturday at the Wesleyan chapel at the Women’s Rights National Historical Park on Fall Street.

The event is free and open to the public. After the initial conversation between the two women, the audience will be able to ask questions and seek comments on topics of interest.
“We will likely discuss several current topics, but the principal topic will be a women’s call to action from the events of 1848 to what is happening today in the aftermath of the women’s march,” Grube said. “I will represent Elizabeth Cady Stanton and her thoughts on the issues that confronted women in 1848 and what still needs to be done to address those issues.”

An example will be the call for women’s suffrage made at the 1848 convention and the long fight that didn’t end until passage of the 19th Amendment in 1920.

Carnicelli will discuss the women’s march, which attracted more than 10,000 women to Seneca Falls, the Birthplace of the Women’s Rights Movement, to advocate for women’s health care and economic rights among others.

Carnicelli will discuss current issues confront women and how to organize to come to come up with a plan of action.
“I do this at least one a year, usually with a different modern women. I enjoy it very much,” Grube said.
Grube, a Phelps resident has been an adjunct instructor in history at Cayuga Community College in Auburn since 2003 and at Empire State College since 2008.

The program is sponsored by the Women’s Institute for Leadership and Learning.