FingerLakes1.com Forums
Topic Options
#1496279 --- 03/06/17 05:16 PM Slippery slope toward fascism
Teonan Offline

Loc: West End
The right of dissent is surely fundamental to the existence of a democratic society. Thatís the right that went first in every nation that stumbled down the trail toward totalitarianism.Ē
- Edward R. Murrow

Republicans All Over the Country Are Pushing These Anti-Protest Bills to Silence Peaceful Dissent
The proposals could criminalize the non-violent demonstrations that have grown since Trump was elected.

Inae Oh
Mother Jones

Mar. 6, 2017

As citizens unhappy about the Trump administration look to build on the momentum of the historic Women's March with additional public expressions of outrage, Republicans across the country are quietly introducing legislation aimed at limiting and even criminalizing peaceful demonstrations.

According to a recent count from the American Civil Liberties Union, at least 17 states have proposed such anti-protest bills, many of which include language ostensibly aimed at improving measures such as public safety. But upon closer analysis, these bills all appear to share the intended goal of suppressing First Amendment rights by making peaceful dissent a crime with the threat of jail time and hefty fines.

Look no further than Minnesota for a prime example. Republican lawmakers there are advancing legislation to punish protesters who block highways and airport access. While the bill's proponents insist it will protect highway safety, critics argue that the measure instead overwhelmingly targets people participating in demonstrations by saddling them with steep fines, all while having hardly any effect on furthering roadway safety.

The legislative move to suppress protests comes amid angry town halls that have erupted across the country, where thousands of constituents have railed against Republican lawmakers for their reluctance to speak out against the Trump administration, their ill-conceived plans to dismantle Obamacare, and more. Trump notably accused former president Barack Obama of being "behind" the ongoing protests.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2017/03/republicans-anti-protest-bills-map

FingerLakes1.com
#1496583 --- 03/14/17 07:45 AM Re: Slippery slope toward fascism [Re: Teonan]
Hermes Offline

Loc: around
Sorry, but your slippery slope to fascism just doesnít exist and you know it. Thatís what makes your non sequitur so funny.

There never has been and never will be a road to fascism in this country. We have too many checks and balances to stop it. Now I realize that most liberals like you are completely in favor of removing the final check, an armed citizenry, but thankfully the idiocy that would remove our ultimate resistance to governmentís bad conduct is still going strong.

As to the protestors interfering with my daily life and business, they have no such rights. Just as the right to free speech ends at yelling fire in a crowded theatre, so does their right to protest end at my right to free movement. The very fact that any legislature feels the need to take action to protect my rights is just affirming how wrong the protestors are.

Free speech and peaceful protest to redress government are foundational to this nation, but;

The right to protest is a perceived human right arising out of a number of recognized human rights. While no human rights instrument or national constitution grants the absolute right to protest, such a right to protest may be a manifestation of the right to freedom of assembly, the right to freedom of association, and the right to freedom of speech.

Every citizen has those listed rights, but their rights donít supersede any other personís rights listed above or any other personís right to free movement;

Freedom of movement, mobility rights, or the right to travel is a human rights concept encompassing the right of individuals to travel from place to place within the territory of a country, and to leave the country and return to it. The right includes not only visiting places, but changing the place where the individual resides or works. Such a right is provided in the constitutions of numerous states, and in documents reflecting norms of international law.

In short, legal, peaceful protest good, interference with my rights bad.

The only fascists are the ones illegally taking away my rights. Your fascists protesting a made up and an impossible government are the only ones illegally taking my rights.

#1496594 --- 03/14/17 10:18 AM Re: Slippery slope toward fascism [Re: Hermes]
Formermac Offline

Loc: Above ground
Very well articulated, it's obvious that you're a educated man but one singular action level that slope. There is an old say "The end justifies the mean" simply put, some people are tired of waiting their turn to receive equal rights, fair pay, housing, benefits and any other hard working goal they're attempting to achieve. Without violence at time, some people will not get a voice. Do I believe in violence? no way but if you impede someone's personal rights while having a smirk and look of complacency, better watch your back, trouble is brewing. Bottom line, I'm quite ecstatic that Women and Minorities decided to not allow patience and selected freedom to dictate their lives but became determined to take their own live into their hand, sometimes at a huge cost.

#1496684 --- 03/16/17 04:28 PM Re: Slippery slope toward fascism [Re: Hermes]
Timbo Offline
Silver Member

Loc: CNY
Originally Posted By: Hermes
Sorry, but your slippery slope to fascism just doesnít exist and you know it. Thatís what makes your non sequitur so funny.

There never has been and never will be a road to fascism in this country. We have too many checks and balances to stop it. Now I realize that most liberals like you are completely in favor of removing the final check, an armed citizenry, but thankfully the idiocy that would remove our ultimate resistance to governmentís bad conduct is still going strong.

As to the protestors interfering with my daily life and business, they have no such rights. Just as the right to free speech ends at yelling fire in a crowded theatre, so does their right to protest end at my right to free movement. The very fact that any legislature feels the need to take action to protect my rights is just affirming how wrong the protestors are.

Free speech and peaceful protest to redress government are foundational to this nation, but;

The right to protest is a perceived human right arising out of a number of recognized human rights. While no human rights instrument or national constitution grants the absolute right to protest, such a right to protest may be a manifestation of the right to freedom of assembly, the right to freedom of association, and the right to freedom of speech.

Every citizen has those listed rights, but their rights donít supersede any other personís rights listed above or any other personís right to free movement;

Freedom of movement, mobility rights, or the right to travel is a human rights concept encompassing the right of individuals to travel from place to place within the territory of a country, and to leave the country and return to it. The right includes not only visiting places, but changing the place where the individual resides or works. Such a right is provided in the constitutions of numerous states, and in documents reflecting norms of international law.

In short, legal, peaceful protest good, interference with my rights bad.

The only fascists are the ones illegally taking away my rights. Your fascists protesting a made up and an impossible government are the only ones illegally taking my rights.

Hermes, it's painfully obvious from the content of this post that you haven't a clue as to the working definition of the word "fascist" or the past events leading to it's rise during the 20th century.

YOU were the one to use the word "fascist". He most accurately used the word "totalitarianism". Furthermore, nowhere in Teonan's post is a non-sequitur (literary OR logical) to be found.

Your misconception that rights and freedom are somehow givens, not to be fought in perpetude further demonstrates a gross lack of nuanced understanding on your part. Your apparent belief that other's extensible rights end at your inconvenience, only reinforces that conclusion. Like it or not, perceived human rights are equal by extension, legally and otherwise.

What Fascism Really Is -†And What It Isn't: http://bigthink.com/scotty-hendricks/for...time=1489680196

totalitarianism: definition

non-sequitur: (logic)

non-sequitur: (literal device)