FingerLakes1.com Forums
Topic Options
#1495316 --- 02/12/17 04:54 PM Windows Live Mail 2012 & Windows Essentials
Aces_Up Offline

Loc: Seneca Fall's, NY
Has anyone have been having problems with their Windows Live Mail 2012 & Windows Essentials?
I would go to open my email and it does not open at times. I get the error" (0x80041161). I went to Microsoft and asked about it. Many others are having the same problem. I was told to go to "Programs & Features" and find Windows Essentials and then left click on Uninstall/Change and you will see the option to Repair. I did this then restart my laptop and then my mail will open but after awhile it starts doing the same thing.

So then I was told this.
Press Windows key Image + R to open a Run box.
Type services.msc and press Enter.
In the Services window, look for Microsoft Account Sign-in Assistant and double-click on it.
If it's not there, find Windows Live ID Sign-in Assistant and double-click on that instead.
Whichever you find, is its Service status Running or not?
In the Start-up type drop down, select Automatic (Delayed Start), then click Apply and OK.
Close the Services window and restart the computer.
Try launching Windows Live Mail.

Okay so I set it to "Automatic" and it worked as well but still after a day or so, it stops again.
Also said>The service has changed its name for Windows 10 and it's called Microsoft Account Sign-in Assistant, possibly because it's also involved in the Windows sign-in when using a Microsoft Account. <

They said>Check if the windows live-id sign assistant service is disabled/ stopped.< WHERE do I go to check?

Also after I do these 2 things and after I restart, I get this black pop up that says," Failed to connect to a Windows service. Windows couldn't connect to the group Policy Client service. This problem prevents standard users from signing in. As a administrative user, you can review."
??

Some people have uninstalled Windows mail and or Essentials but Microsoft no longer has downloads for Windows Live Mail 2012.

I have Windows 10.

FingerLakes1.com
#1495320 --- 02/12/17 07:45 PM Re: Windows Live Mail 2012 & Windows Essentials [Re: Aces_Up]
Aces_Up Offline

I found this but just don't know.

Sticking with Windows Live Mail
Windows Live Mail 2012 is clearly on the way out, but you can still use it if you really want to. To do this, you must create a new account for your existing email address, but check the box that says “Manually configure server settings”. For the incoming server, select IMAP with the address imap-mail.outlook.com and Port 993. For the outgoing server, use smtp-mail.outlook.com and Port 587.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/a...ail-msn-outlook

#1495345 --- 02/13/17 12:58 PM Re: Windows Live Mail 2012 & Windows Essentials [Re: Aces_Up]
Aces_Up Offline

I did a Windows 10 update and left my laptop on all night. When I got up, it seemed to revert back it's factory settings, well, most of it. Did not lose anything but had to redo things as I had it. I don't understand why a update would do that. Oh well... all is fine

#1495385 --- 02/14/17 09:17 AM Re: Windows Live Mail 2012 & Windows Essentials [Re: Aces_Up]
DR. D Offline

Loc: Waterloo/Seneca Falls/Junius/T...
First question about the update you took is was it the Anniversary update? Second question is why are you using Live mail on Windows 10?

#1495390 --- 02/14/17 12:30 PM Re: Windows Live Mail 2012 & Windows Essentials [Re: DR. D]
Aces_Up Offline

If I remember, Outlook came with this laptop with Win 10. Can't remember why I am using Windows Live Mail. Don't know if that was on this laptop or not.