Topic Options
#1495238 --- 02/10/17 07:08 PM Right ON Chris Long
Teonan Offline

Loc: West End
"My call." Making a stand.

Chris Long joins three teammates who refuse to celebrate with Donald Trump

By Travis Gettys / Raw Story

February 10, 2017

A white New England Patriots player will join some of his black teammates in skipping the Super Bowl champions’ visit to the White House.

Chris Long, a veteran defensive end who has played one season with the Patriots, responded to a New York Daily News columnist who urged him in an open letter not to join the traditional White House visit to protest the Donald Trump administration.

Oh Chuck. Planned on skipping, hadn't been asked. Don't need an open letter explaining my own words to me. Not *joining* anyone. My call. https://t.co/XWo9x2XT40
— Chris Long (@JOEL9ONE) February 9, 2017

Long, who spoke out earlier this season in defense of San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick’s pregame protests, did not specifically cite politics as his reason for staying away from the White House.

“Planned on skipping, hadn’t been asked. Don’t need an open letter explaining my own words to me. Not *joining* anyone. My call,” Long said.

At least three other Patriots players — Martellus Bennett, Devin McCourty and Dont’a Hightower — have said they won’t visit the White House while Trump is president.

Several athletes from various sports — including, apparently, Patriots quarterback Tom Brady — also refused to visit the White House while Barack Obama was president.

FingerLakes1.com
#1495239 --- 02/11/17 06:29 AM Re: Right ON Chris Long [Re: Teonan]
Teonan Offline

Loc: West End

Piling on: More New England Patriots skipping White House visit

CNN Sports Correspondent Coy Wire predicted that "there will be more," including players from college football, who will decline an invitation from the White House "because they're watching their peers."

Read on: http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/10/politics/new-england-patriots-skip-white-house-donald-trump/index.html