FingerLakes1.com Forums
Topic Options
#1494935 --- 02/01/17 10:33 AM Chickens again!
justacitizen Offline

Are you kidding me? Is Henderson never satisfied? Now he wants chickens anywhere in the City - crazy!!!!!

FingerLakes1.com
#1494936 --- 02/01/17 11:43 AM Re: Chickens again! [Re: justacitizen]
FLaker Offline

Loc: Finger Lakes
Wouldn't bother me as long as people do it in a respectful manner.

#1494937 --- 02/01/17 12:15 PM Re: Chickens again! [Re: justacitizen]
scwoodchuck Offline

Loc: LOST IN SPACE
Geneva's for the birds anyway, Henderson will do himself in before long. But really amazes me is how the city thinks going backwards is a good thing.

#1494978 --- 02/02/17 09:19 AM Re: Chickens again! [Re: justacitizen]
Triumph the Dog Offline

Comink next: Cattle drives down Genesee Street

#1495016 --- 02/02/17 12:41 PM Re: Chickens again! [Re: Triumph the Dog]
justacitizen Offline

Better off going down Linden St - seems like there's alot of "bull" there

#1495113 --- 02/07/17 09:16 AM Re: Chickens again! [Re: justacitizen]
Kells Offline

The irony is that many of the same people who post here with the anti-chicken drivel make up the area's "old guard" - the same folks who allowed a factory to poison the air and land here, and learned nothing from it. Some of the same folks who are in favor of landfills trucking in millions of tons of trash from downstate, and fracking, and gas storage right next to the lake, and really any other business interest that wants to take hold here, no matter the cost to the environment. But CHICKENS!?! They poop! We have to draw the line somewhere, right? Let's draw it at poultry! If we can't have fresh air, we shouldn't have fresh eggs, either!

Backyard chicken farming is a progressive idea that has taken hold in cities all across the United States. In each of these cities there has been a fight, but in each city progress has won. Geneva has two distinct sides: the regressives, who have fought progress of any kind for as long as I can remember; and the progressives, the young people the media says are making the city a "young city" who are bringing these types of fresh, new ideas to the city. Geneva needs to decide which direction it wants to go in.

Edited by Kells (02/07/17 09:43 AM)

#1495117 --- 02/07/17 12:04 PM Re: Chickens again! [Re: justacitizen]
SilenceDogood Offline

Loc: The side of reason
I'm against the landfills, I'm against fracking and the storage facility to the south. I'm considered young and was never alive when the foundry was operational.

It's not the responsible people that the city and councilors are worried about. The reasons given were political. They don't want to have to deal with the headaches and money of having code enforcement out looking at these, citing citizens, going to court over the issues, ect. It's easier and cheaper for them to just say no. With that said, I think that the outlined and detailed requirements would greatly reduce the amount of people who weren't serious about doing it, I think a few families would do it, do it well, and enjoy it.

Personally, I'm not for it because I hate eggs, but that shouldn't stop someone who was serious about doing this the opportunity. For $47.78 per thousand assessed, the highest tax rate around, we should be able to do whatever we want on our property. The schools here are terrible, 60% of the real property is off the tax rolls, we should get some bang for our buck!!! Glad the city manager got a 9% raise while we all got a 7% raise on our water costs!

#1495124 --- 02/07/17 01:14 PM Re: Chickens again! [Re: justacitizen]
justacitizen Offline

I, too, am against the landfills, I am against fracking and don't want gas stored to our south. I recycle and vote and I am NOT considered young by any means.

I am not for the chicken law because I don't think that everyone that raised them would be as responsible to their neighbors as Mr. Henderson is. But I understand your point SilenceDogood that with the high taxes we pay we should be able to do whatever we want on our property. And what is wrong with City Council that they gave Horn a 9% increase?? Seems like Horn is running the City - not the City Council and that means not us the taxpayers.