Topic Options
#1494909 --- 01/31/17 12:01 PM Shine ON G-town
Teonan Offline

Loc: West End

Solar housing project pitched for land near Geneva lakefront tunnel

By Steve Buckiere
Finger Lakes Times

Jan 30, 2017

Geneva is on such a huge upswing,” he said. “We have so much going for us. We think we can play a small part in that growth.”

http://www.fltimes.com/news/solar-housin...0284f0eeb2.html

FingerLakes1.com
#1494921 --- 01/31/17 04:15 PM Re: Shine ON G-town [Re: Teonan]
justacitizen Offline

Ryan Wallace is a great guy. Best of luck to him with this project.

#1494924 --- 01/31/17 05:54 PM Re: Shine ON G-town [Re: Teonan]
Tacitus Offline

Some pretty big zoning variances required for this to go forward.

#1494926 --- 01/31/17 09:49 PM Re: Shine ON G-town [Re: Teonan]
roundtable Offline

Loc: new york state
Ill believe it when I see it. Remember...... its Geneva.

#1494934 --- 02/01/17 10:31 AM Re: Shine ON G-town [Re: Teonan]
justacitizen Offline

Does the City own that property? If so, are they going to sell it the right way - not the way they tried to when they "sold" the property near the State Park?

#1495049 --- 02/03/17 01:59 PM Re: Shine ON G-town [Re: justacitizen]
pingu Offline

Loc: Right here.
This one has the support of certain persons so I'm guessing there won't be any controversy as there was with the other "lakefront" parcel. Still, it seems like a cool idea to me.

On a similar note, did anyone read the paper about the Zoning and Planning board changes?? Could there be a link between all this new activity and the proposed projects?

Edited by pingu (02/03/17 02:00 PM)

#1495101 --- 02/06/17 12:32 PM Re: Shine ON G-town [Re: pingu]
justacitizen Offline

Even with the support of "certain persons" I hope the City sells the property the correct way being very transparent. I just don't trust that they will. As for the Boards - do you think that the two chairpersons are against all the new development and that's why they were ousted? Or do the two councilors named have some other motive?

#1495104 --- 02/06/17 02:26 PM Re: Shine ON G-town [Re: Teonan]
SilenceDogood Offline

Loc: The side of reason
I'll be interested to find out why this newly presented idea was given 1.25m out of the grant for downtown when the land sale has not been voted on or approved. Did the city allow soil testing on the site to be completed by this company?

Perhaps it's a mea culpa from the city over this group's original plan to build on the brownfield site that was the old Foundry that everyone is being sued over?

This in my opinion is worse than the perceived lack of transparency (although all laws were followed) with the sale of the land in the Town of Waterloo to Dave Bunnell that was a no brainer.

The city is also giving the OEO land and 1.5 million (to who?) to build storefronts and 50 (not enough space for 50 units on one floor).

With the ousting of the planning board members and mix up I'll bet my bottom dollar that the fix is in and it's given to Massa Construction, Inc with the connections between the At Large Councilor and City Manager. Watch, wait, and be amazed how all of this was planned in advance with no public input. I'm told the OEO was never brought up at any of the workshops?

Is all of this accurate? If not, please educate me...

#1495107 --- 02/06/17 07:07 PM Re: Shine ON G-town [Re: Teonan]
pingu Offline

I don't think that the OEO project was in the workshop likely due to the fact it wasn't required. Anyone could send in a proposal and the workshop meetings were hopefully used to work together on what projects were going to come out. Public input wasn't mandatory. You could submit whatever you wanted into the City for consideration. More than a few applicants were less than open about what they were proposing. I think the public will get involved once this list is confirmed and they start moving forward. It's not a slam dunk here. Many miles to go before any of these proposals get built.

As for the ousters. Stewart has been a long time ZBA person and I don't recall him rocking any boats. Kind of surprised by that one. With the Planning Board, I wasn't so shocked about that change.

For Ryan's group, good for them on being able to shift from the Foundry property to this one and still keep a really neat project going. Why would you say this EcoVillage situation is worse than the other park parcel sale? I think it's been up front with what they want to do there.

It seems like the well wishes have gotten ahead of the practical matters of land sales and testing but I don't think anyone is trying to do some underhanded deal here.

What about the other project picked or the ones that didn't make it? Dove block is getting what, almost 3 million and folks are complaining about 1.5 for Massa to infill the OEO site? How about the snub Ken Camera got for his Centennial Park redo? Oh and let's all get on board for a 200K "Geneva" sign.

I would have liked to see another step in this process where proposals were brought out after the deadline for a public comment period instead of Bergman just working with the committee on the list. Wait, that did happen but something like the day before.

#1495115 --- 02/07/17 11:50 AM Re: Shine ON G-town [Re: Teonan]
SilenceDogood Offline

Loc: The side of reason
Pingu,

Thanks for the information. I was under the impression by the articles in the paper that this was a community based effort to talk about all of these projects in both the workshops and the storefronts. With that said, I think the city had a duty to be transparent regarding the OEO property.

In regards to the solar village, it would appear to me that by receiving the grant money for this specific project at this specific site, that the process needed to acquire the land (public notices, council votes, properly posting the city owned property for sale so other bids can be received) are going to be side stepped. How can a company receive grant money for upgrading a property that they don't even own? I simply can't and frankly don't want to see subsidized housing on that lot, regardless of the solar trend. In ten years it will all be subsidized as the company is set up as a non profit so it can get grants....The only grants out there have to include subsidized housing. Even the green build grants.

Dave Bunnell followed all the rules in place, went through the entire process and the property was voted to be sold by council, only for Matt Horn to say the "language needed some clarification" and that another vote would be needed. All of which was to give time for the people against it, in my opinion, to sway the councilors vote and spread disinformation about the location of the property and the impact on the local floral and fauna. Personally, I think Bunnell dodged a bullet as the property was grossly overpriced and is known to be all fill.

Ken's idea was a good one, but where is the upside? The city dumped a ton of "grant" money into remediating the soil and repiping the culverts for castle creek to make the park.It was a terrible design to begin with and done ham handedly. I can't justify paying twice for something that should have been done right the first time.

I think the Dove Building getting the amount it did was great, that building has the potential to be the anchor and face of downtown, despite it's less than redeeming architecture, it's history will undoubtedly draw foot traffic and visitors to the third story. We can't give all of the grant money for the art to the Smith Opera House. If they want new bathrooms it's simple, host some concerts and make some revenue!

200k for sign...... For that cost it had better be make out of gold and give out free orgasms on demand.

What's befuddling to me is the 800k set aside to "attract" artists to the area. If that money were set aside for downtown business owners to borrow from for updates and maintenance at a low APR it would have had five times the economic impact over the course of it's value. Just my humble observations.

#1495118 --- 02/07/17 12:22 PM Re: Shine ON G-town [Re: SilenceDogood]
pingu Offline

Great points and observations. We can all do with more information. It's human nature that when your ideas get beaten down or objected to, what's going to be your reaction? I think based on what I've seen some of these situations developed because at some point if one group is constantly the "party pooper" about any proposal and let's admit that even though the intentions were good the impression was not. Instead of bashing all the ideas, having great suggestions on how to make it better or have such solid points to make anyone realize some are just not worth it.

I hear you on the Centennial Park thing. From what I remember that was a grant and you're right they kind of rushed it to get in before the deadline. While that may be the case, I'd still like the farmers market out of the parking lot and over there somehow. For the EcoVillage, there are folks in the city and neighborhood agencies that have pushed for affordable housing. Can't say I agree with that, either but their solar and small house living thing is interesting.

Like subsidized housing and it's pitfalls, subsidized uses as those for the Dove Block give me pause as well. Yes, it has a history and just slapping apartments up there again would not pay tribute to that. My hope that money is spent once and well so that won't be a constant drain. I'm starting to think that the real objection to OEO is the person who proposed it from what I've read. We shall see how that goes.

#1495122 --- 02/07/17 01:08 PM Re: Shine ON G-town [Re: Teonan]
justacitizen Offline

Yes we all can do with any and all information that we can gather. I am still perplexed over the ouster of the chairs of the Boards. I can't seem to find any answers to that at all - seems very secretive and maybe underhanded. I do agree that instead of just complaining about other's ideas, if we have comments and suggestions we should make them heard an not just here.

I personally am going to contact my councilperson and mention my angst with a few of the projects while giving kudos to others. Sadly though, it looks way too much money is going to the arts that could be set aside for downtown business owners to borrow on the make improvements to their stores.