FingerLakes1.com Forums
Topic Options
#1492485 --- 11/13/16 07:33 PM Geneva's Big Dirty Secret
Teonan Offline

Loc: West End
Lead tainting Geneva's soil kept hidden for 30 years

"At least one Geneva parent, Kara Helstrom, is certain that her 3-year-old sonís elevated blood-lead level is due to the soil in their yard. The Jackson Street home where Helstrom and her family live was first found to have elevated metals in the soil in 2005, though the family was never informed."

Read on: http://www.ithacajournal.com/story/news/...years/92896708/

FingerLakes1.com
#1492530 --- 11/15/16 08:30 AM Re: Geneva's Big Dirty Secret [Re: Teonan]
Kells Offline

It seems that this was not a secret to the many property owners who lived here when a factory spewed soda ash into the air for decades. It may have been a secret to people who subsequently purchased property in the area.

I am reminded of many debates I've overheard or read. Debates between my grandfather and friends at the counter at the old Pumpernickel restaurant in the 1980s. And debates right here on this website a decade ago. Geneva has always had two factions of people, both on city council and among the general population: those who strongly favor business, and those who strongly favor environmental causes. Far too often those two do not mix, especially when local government is concerned. It seems to me that Geneva has always had a majority (in society and on council) who support business over all. I am hopeful that this news will be the tipping point for that, and that protecting our environment (Seneca Lake, the lakefront, etc.) will begin to be the majority view. As we see here, our failure to do so can have consequences that last for generations.

#1492579 --- 11/16/16 09:24 PM Re: Geneva's Big Dirty Secret [Re: Teonan]
pingu Offline

Loc: Right here.
I've grown up with friends that lived there and this just stinks. Not a great way to help your fellow citizen. My wife, who is not from around here, said it reminds her of Love Canal. Remember that?

Not cool at all. Time to clean it up and make things right. Wow, I just think about all the gardens grown there and shudder.

#1492599 --- 11/17/16 02:30 PM Re: Geneva's Big Dirty Secret [Re: Kells]
justacitizen Offline

Very well said Kells

#1493176 --- 12/09/16 07:25 AM Re: Geneva's Big Dirty Secret [Re: Teonan]
Teonan Offline

Loc: West End

Stage is set for lawsuit over Geneva Foundry contamination

"Jeff Helstrom of 12 Jackson St. couldnít get up to the front table fast enough to sign up.

He was one of about 50 people attending an informational meeting Wednesday at Hydrant Hose with two lawyers from the Smith & Sovik law firm of Syracuse.

Anywhere from 30 to 50 people signed retainer agreements to hire the law firm, with the possibility of a class action lawsuit if enough sign up who have similar stories.

Lawyers Steven Williams and Brady OíMalley were there to explain legal options for people living in the Geneva Foundry neighborhoods in the 5th and 6th Wards."

Read on: http://www.fltimes.com/news/stage-is-set...1909470346.html

#1493925 --- 01/06/17 08:20 PM Re: Geneva's Big Dirty Secret [Re: pingu]
scwoodchuck Offline

Loc: LOST IN SPACE
http://www.nytimes.com/1990/05/15/nyregi...e-safe-now.html

Did you notice the lawyers are looking for a settlement? They know they don't have a chance in Court. If anyone took a close look they would find that the whole state is contaminated and even worse in most areas. By the way, as of 2008 they were still investigating the Love Canal thing and still hadn't reached a conclusion.

Edited by scwoodchuck (01/06/17 09:18 PM)

#1493947 --- 01/08/17 05:55 AM Re: Geneva's Big Dirty Secret [Re: scwoodchuck]
scwoodchuck Offline

Loc: LOST IN SPACE
This situation has been in the newspaper many times over the years. The EPA has lowered the acceptable levels of certain contaminants over the years and that's why it's such a big deal today. Natural processes have remediated much of the problem over time,and as I recall the paper said the lead levels are just over the new, lower limits. As I see it the city should not be held responsible because the DEC and the New York State Department of Health have allowed this condition to exist.

Edited by scwoodchuck (01/08/17 05:57 AM)