FingerLakes1.com Forums
Topic Options
#1492986 --- 12/02/16 09:48 PM Help with a Lenovo
Code Red Offline

Loc: Out of my mind....
I have a Lenovo X301 Thinkpad that I can not get to connect to the wifi. I bought it 2nd hand about a year ago, and didn't have any problems with it except it was slow. Of course we have Time Warner Road crawler, so that is an issue. A few months ago I purchased more ram, doubling it from 4 to 8 I believe. That increased the speed slightly. Now to my issue, about a month ago or better, my avast anti virus had just expired and I didn't notice it as I don't use this every day, sometimes I might go a week without using it. So I downloaded the free avast, and when I got paid the next Friday I bought a new years worth. It was late and figured I would install the next time I used it. So there it sits in my in box, and now I can not get the Lenovo to connect to any Wi-Fi to open my email to install the avast anti virus. I have tried not just my house, but other places with Wi-Fi, nothing. I run a diagnostic scan and it comes up as this. Ethernet 256 doesn't have a valid IP configuration. And when I go to the control panel, it tells me the PCI Simple Connection Controller Driver is missing.
I am lost, I tried google and found something about going in as administrator and resetting the netsh winsock reset. It will tell me the catalog is open. Then below that I enter netsh int ip reset. It then states that it failed. I know its an older piece, but it does have windows 10 and word 2013, and I like it. Would I be better off using it for target practice and buying a new one ? Or does anybody know somebody who can fix it ? I thought abought Staples, but don't have much faith in them. I asked the IT department in the Hospital I work at, but they don't like to even give out advice. HELP

FingerLakes1.com
#1493001 --- 12/03/16 04:56 PM Re: Help with a Lenovo [Re: Code Red]
DR. D Offline

Loc: Waterloo/Seneca Falls/Junius/T...
Can you connect with it wired up directly to a router? My thoughts after doing a little research is that this was a common problem however the drivers are not available for windows 10 (you have to use the windows 7 driver). I have had nothing but issues with Avast and windows 10 even more so if it was installed during the upgrade process.

You have several options you can hard wire it and try the following
1.see if it will correct the errors though windows update
2.or you can go to Lenovo's site http://support.lenovo.com/us/en?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-73567
3. I can take a look at it, just PM me on here and to look at it is free (unlike staples)

#1493037 --- 12/04/16 09:49 PM Re: Help with a Lenovo [Re: Code Red]
Code Red Offline

I actually got it to connect by plugging it into the router. I went on the Lenovo support site and it said I needed a bridge? So it wanted to install .netframework 3.5 sp1. That would load about a 1/4 of the way and freeze up. So I got my 9mm Glock out and it is oiled up and ready,lol.

#1493052 --- 12/05/16 08:28 AM Re: Help with a Lenovo [Re: Code Red]
DR. D Offline

2 Quick questions, do you have your personal stuff backed up and do you happen to have your office disk and key(just in case) I have another option for you if so.

Another question I had was: is wireless enabled? There is a physical switch on that unit I believe on the lower front left side if its off then you will get the similar problem or if there is no physical switch then I believe on that unit the wireless is enabled by also pressing fn+F5 at the same time. The third thought was that Airplane mode is enabled....bring up the action center to the right of the clock and see if its on or off.

#1493056 --- 12/05/16 12:27 PM Re: Help with a Lenovo [Re: Code Red]
Code Red Offline

I bought the Lenovo used. So I don't have any of those. I know the airplane mode is not enabled, I have toggled between that before. And the only switch I find is in the middle of the back side, and I have tried it both ways. I really don't have anything stored on here of my own. When I bought it there were about 8 to 10 movies on there, that about it.

#1493131 --- 12/07/16 10:27 AM Re: Help with a Lenovo [Re: Code Red]
Code Red Offline

Tuesday morning I got the Lenovo out and tried again. The switch is on, It recognized the wifi router, it even asked for the password witch is correct, but it still won't connect. I even tried refreshing the Router. The smart TV, and both smart phones will connect so I don't think its the Router.

#1493140 --- 12/07/16 02:33 PM Re: Help with a Lenovo [Re: Code Red]
DR. D Offline

I want you to watch this video and try this first

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jUZHSmDQuY

#1493162 --- 12/08/16 10:06 AM Re: Help with a Lenovo [Re: Code Red]
Code Red Offline

Will try it, it will be a few days before I will have time. I thought about trying that but was worried I would lose the windows 10 upgrade.

#1493165 --- 12/08/16 12:20 PM Re: Help with a Lenovo [Re: Code Red]
DR. D Offline

No it just refreshes the OS and drivers

#1493843 --- 01/04/17 06:49 PM Re: Help with a Lenovo [Re: Code Red]
Code Red Offline

I did the refresh and other than losing the Microsoft Office 2013 pro, the Computer came out very good.

#1495050 --- 02/03/17 09:25 PM Re: Help with a Lenovo [Re: Code Red]
Code Red Offline

Well one Month later, and the Lenovo is still running great. A big thanks to DR.D !!!