SCHUMER TOURS MAJOR YATES COUNTY EMPLOYE...; LOCAL LEADERS

During a visit to Penn Yan, U.S. Senator Charles E. Schumer today toured one of Yates County’s largest employer, Coach & Equipment. Schumer spoke to workers, management and local leaders about the future of the plant and discussed why buying New York products is so important. Schumer also launched a push to help Coach pursue a major contract that would allow it to produce the roughly 400 new paratransit buses that the New York City Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA) anticipates to purchase soon and put on the road next year. Schumer said this could mean good things for job creation and local workers in Yates County.

“Coach & Equipment not only manufactures the critical paratransit buses that keep our passengers across New York State and the country safe, but it is also provides good-paying, middle-class jobs to 150 local residents. I have been proud to stand shoulder-to-shoulder with Coach over the last several years as we cut through federal red tape and helped ensure this economic engine could continue humming and expanding right here in the Finger Lakes. I am beyond thrilled to be here today as we celebrate this company’s success,” said Senator Schumer. “That’s why, today, I’m also launching my push to build on this achievement and help Coach pursue a major contract that would allow it to produce hundreds of new buses for the MTA. This project has the potential to add many more jobs right in Yates County and could mean increased economic development in Yates County."

Schumer said Coach & Equipment is one of the top five private employers in Yates County, and it provides good-paying jobs to roughly 150 local residents. Schumer explained that Coach is the second oldest manufacturing company in the county and has a long tradition of being a community-oriented employer. Coach manufacturers paratransit (handicap accessible) buses in New York State and produces these buses for clients across the country. The company has provided buses for smaller transportation operations like Rochester Transit Services’s (RTS) Lift Line paratransit bus service as well as massive transportation systems like New York City’s MTA service.