FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#1490808 --- 10/17/16 09:00 AM This sign is legal???
Lucinda Knotts Offline

Loc: USA

City Manager Matt Horn is quoted in the FL Times that the sign is legal.
Does this section of the city code not apply??

Geneva City Code, Section 350-30

No sign or other device for advertising purpose of any kind may be erected or established in the municipality except and provided as follows:

A. Signs in residential districts. No sign or other device for advertising purposes of any kind may be erected or established in any residential district except and provided as follows:

(1) Permitted nonresidential uses and legal nonconforming nonresidential uses, but not including home occupations or day nurseries, may display signs pertaining to the use of property having an aggregate total face area of not more than 30 square feet and not projecting beyond the principal building of such use to which they are attached more than 24 inches, except that where such nonresidential uses are set back from property lines, one sign may be erected in the ground, provided that such ground signs shall not exceed 15 square feet in total face area, shall not exceed five feet in height, shall be parallel to the lot frontage and shall be no nearer than 10 feet to any property line. If such freestanding signs face substantially at right angles to the road and/or display in more than one direction, they shall have a face area of not more than eight square feet per side, with no more than two sides.

It seems that it's excluded from the definition of a sign under Section 350-2B. But what else would one call it if not a sign?

Oh well, it'll be gone in a few weeks anyway, like the bad memory of this year's campaign.

Edited by Lucinda Knotts (10/17/16 09:28 AM)

FingerLakes1.com
#1490809 --- 10/17/16 09:13 AM Re: This sign is legal??? [Re: Lucinda Knotts]
justacitizen Offline

How is the sign legal Mr. City Manager?

#1490810 --- 10/17/16 09:48 AM Re: This sign is legal??? [Re: Lucinda Knotts]
FLaker Offline

Loc: Finger Lakes
See:
GCC 350-9(I)(8)(i):
Signs permitted in any district. Except as expressly prohibited in this article, the following signs may be erected and maintained in a planned commercial district or planned residential district: Political signs. Political signs, provided that such signs are not more than 32 square feet in area if located in a PCD district or eight square feet in area if located in a PRD district; are limited to not more than one per lot; are located entirely on private property pursuant to the owner's consent; are clearly marked with the name, address and telephone number of the person responsible for the removal of such sign; are erected not more than 45 days prior to such election; and are removed within seven days following such election.

#1490811 --- 10/17/16 10:00 AM Re: This sign is legal??? [Re: Lucinda Knotts]
the Federalist Offline

Loc: the America made great again
Just another liberal who doesn't believe in the First Amendment. wink

#1490812 --- 10/17/16 10:07 AM Re: This sign is legal??? [Re: the Federalist]
Lucinda Knotts Offline

Oh I'm for the First Amendment alright, even though Trump's proposed ban/"extreme vetting" for Muslims as well as his antipathy for a free press would seem at odds. In any case, the sign will be gone in a few weeks. grin

#1490813 --- 10/17/16 02:08 PM Re: This sign is legal??? [Re: Lucinda Knotts]
ruby2 Offline

Well, just looking at the size of the sign tells me it's an intrusion on the neighborhood no matter what it says or what laws in this case do or do not apply.  I mean a little common sense is in order here and some regard for your neighbors who may or may not agree with you.  I understand the homeowners enthusiasm for the candidate (you can't miss it), but it cries out for a sign war of huge proportions when the bar has been set so high by this one homeowner.

Would a large Dumbo the Elephant balloon with Trumps name on it be acceptable also?

#1490814 --- 10/17/16 02:39 PM Re: This sign is legal??? [Re: ruby2]
HGT 64 Offline

Loc: Canandaigua
Didn't one of the City Council members have signs, similar in size, posted all over the City before the last election ??

#1490819 --- 10/17/16 08:24 PM Re: This sign is legal??? [Re: Lucinda Knotts]
genevaparent Offline

Loc: Geneva NY
I drove by the billboard today. It is really quite large. I give to owner credit for being so brave to let everyone know how much he loves the man. I would not feel comfortable telegraphing that I support a man that is a xenophobe that doesn't respect women. I feel bad for his neighbors.

#1490821 --- 10/17/16 08:47 PM Re: This sign is legal??? [Re: Lucinda Knotts]
Tiger Shark Offline

I wouldn't say he's brave, more of a loudmouth. He's a city employee so he knows he can get away with it. Notice how in the news paper he mentions the chief of the zoning board or whatever knows about the sign. They are likely buddies. I would have more respect for his "bravery" if he was not a city employee.

#1490824 --- 10/18/16 06:21 AM Re: This sign is legal??? [Re: Lucinda Knotts]
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

did you take the photo?

Originally Posted By: Lucinda Knotts

#1490831 --- 10/18/16 09:08 AM Re: This sign is legal??? [Re: bluezone]
Formermac Offline

Loc: Above ground
Originally Posted By: bluezone
Does this section of the city code not apply??

Geneva City Code, Section 350-30

Oh well, it'll be gone in a few weeks anyway

rather interesting that you bring up city code

we do recall that when the chicken coop was under question you and mr king (who live in another area of the city) felt it was ok to let the chicken coop move forward because it did not affect either of you even though it violated city code

now you are concerned about an item that will only be there for a few weeks... whistle

mr king lives right around the corner and he has not spoke out about it so it must be ok grin

he goes past it many times a week when he walks to wegmans to get his groceries

if the city wants it taken down all the property owner needs to say it is the begin stage of a chicken coop

Why do you insist on flaunting your ignorance?the reason I ask that question is the fact that she made a valid point. Geneva has a track record (I use to own property there) of being shady on what is code and what's not code. Any given year,a property inspection would realize several violations but an adjoining piece of property own by a well known individual with the same violation would pass code. Now before you open your loose mouth, I can emphatically state that the city was always fair to me but others went through hoops just a get a fair shake. The point that Lucinda is making, depending on who you are, this sign may be acceptable or violate city code.

#1490841 --- 10/18/16 09:46 AM Re: This sign is legal??? [Re: bluezone]
Lucinda Knotts Offline

rather interesting that you bring up city code
we do recall that when the chicken coop was under question you and mr king (who live in another area of the city) felt it was ok to let the chicken coop move forward because it did not affect either of you even though it violated city code
now you are concerned about an item that will only be there for a few weeks... whistle
mr king lives right around the corner and he has not spoke out about it so it must be ok grin
he goes past it many times a week when he walks to wegmans to get his groceries
if the city wants it taken down all the property owner needs to say it is the begin stage of a chicken coop

Honestly, BZ, I'm starting to think that your mind is the "begin stage of a chicken coop," what with all the fluff and feathers floating around. crazy

#1490843 --- 10/18/16 10:14 AM Re: This sign is legal??? [Re: Lucinda Knotts]
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

Honestly

it is rather simple

you only apply the city codes that you want enforced

#1490844 --- 10/18/16 10:20 AM Re: This sign is legal??? [Re: Formermac]
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

Originally Posted By: Formermac
this sign may be acceptable or violate city code.

in your opinion does it violate city code?

#1490845 --- 10/18/16 10:49 AM Re: This sign is legal??? [Re: bluezone]
Lucinda Knotts Offline

Honestly

it is rather simple

you only apply the city codes that you want enforced

FYI, I don't apply the city code -- the city employees do that. Stick to chicken coops.

#1490848 --- 10/18/16 11:17 AM Re: This sign is legal??? [Re: Lucinda Knotts]
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

FYI, I don't apply the city code -- the city employees do that.

then you had no reason to even start this thread grin

#1490857 --- 10/18/16 03:58 PM Re: This sign is legal??? [Re: bluezone]
Formermac Offline

Originally Posted By: Formermac
this sign may be acceptable or violate city code.

in your opinion does it violate city code?

When it comes to codes and regulations, my opinion don't count, tell you what, look up your city code in regard to yard signage, post the regulation here that we may attempt to "interpret" it in layman's terms, how's that?

#1490858 --- 10/18/16 05:23 PM Re: This sign is legal??? [Re: Lucinda Knotts]
Kells Offline

Again with the chicken coop. A chicken running for president would be a better choice than Donald Trump, IMHO. That little matter left the city with a wee bit of egg on its face, no?

The sign is obviously classless, as was the noose hung before it. Still, it is legal. Did you expect that politicians of all people would pass a law that limits the size of political signs?

To be honest, I appreciate people like the sign owner publicly identifying themselves by their beliefs. I am fairly certain I can ascertain, from a simple sign, how a property owner likely feels toward minorities, gays, and others who are not straight, and white, and - well, you probably get the idea. If only ALL members of society with similar views would identify themselves publicly in such a fashion, it would be much, much easier to know who is back in the stone ages with Trump, and who is moving forward with the rest of us.

Seeing such a sign posted so proudly lets me know who I should tell to go cluck themselves.

#1490878 --- 10/19/16 04:16 AM Re: This sign is legal??? [Re: Kells]
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

Originally Posted By: Kells
I appreciate people like the sign owner publicly identifying themselves by their beliefs

and what beliefs could you identify with a hillary sign?

#1490884 --- 10/19/16 05:57 AM Re: This sign is legal??? [Re: bluezone]
Formermac Offline

Really, are you this dysfunctional that we are relegated to speaking of a political sign in question and must now come down to the level of a kindergartner? Stick to the venue, address your city signage.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >