Diamond Member

Loc: USA
samsung cellphone 7 catches on fire

FingerLakes1.com
#1489641 --- 09/13/16 08:15 PM Re: Samsung fire [Re: bluezone]
Teonan Offline

Loc: West End
Originally Posted By: bluezone

Galaxy Note 7. Bad Q.C. it seems. Our knowledgeable Guru's are already nailing this topic on another thread...

Originally Posted By: DR. D
As long as its not a Note 7, Teonan you are fine

Update to the Galaxy 7 Note on the Nope list, you can now add the Samsung Galaxy Core to the el catcho-on-fire in Samsung's lineup......

Originally Posted By: Timbo
... the Samsung Explode-o-Phone aka the Samsung Galaxy Note7.

Probably Rejected All That Android Malware. grin

#1489722 --- 09/15/16 11:19 AM Re: Samsung fire [Re: bluezone]
Timbo Offline
Silver Member

Loc: CNY

Moving discussion over to this thread...

Restaurant fills with smoke as Samsung Galaxy S7 Explodes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWs8Q9418RY

#1489723 --- 09/15/16 11:22 AM Re: Samsung fire [Re: bluezone]
Timbo Offline
Silver Member

Why does the Note 7 explode?

This video will explain why Samsung recalled over 2 Million of their Note 7 Android Smart Phones. What part of the phone failed? And why? Are batteries safe? Can they be trusted?! Should we lock our doors at night!?! All of these questions and more will be answered during the duration of this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Cd2WIxKRDk

#1489725 --- 09/15/16 11:28 AM Re: Samsung fire [Re: bluezone]
Timbo Offline
Silver Member

Samsung Galaxy Note 7 vs. Jeep:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcM5eduoqAI

#1489867 --- 09/19/16 09:43 AM Re: Samsung Fire(s) [Re: bluezone]
Timbo Offline
Silver Member

Samsung Note 7 battery fire woes triggered by rush to beat Apple's iPhone 7 - Report

http://appleinsider.com/articles/16/09/1...hone-7---report

The battery fires and eventual recall of the Galaxy Note 7 can all be traced to Samsung executives wanting to rush the phone, based on rumors Apple's iPhone 7 wouldn't have any major improvements, according to a report.

To move up the launch of the Note 7 by 10 days and steal more of Apple's thunder, Samsung executives pushed suppliers into meeting faster deadlines despite the phone's significant feature advancements, sources informed Bloomberg. One supplier commented that Samsung was unusually difficult to work with this time, as the company would repeatedly change its mind about specifications and work flow.

One of the upgrades in the Note 7 is a 3,500 milliamp-hour battery, up from the previous Note's 3,000. Until recently the main battery supplier was Samsung SDI, a company 20 percent owned by Samsung Electronics which also makes batteries for clients like Apple, one source said.

Once the fires began, Samsung Mobile blamed SDI, which initially went on the defensive and suggested that the problem could lay elsewhere, whether in the phone's design or in insulation. Officially Samsung Mobile has since claimed responsibility for the situation. The decision to do a full recall is said to have been instigated by a Samsung engineer asking for one on an internal BBS post, which quickly gained support.

In reports to the governments of Korea, China, and the U.S., Samsung has indicated that a production error resulted in pressure on plates within the batteries, bringing positive and negative poles into contact — in turn generating excess heat. U.S. regulators have specifically suggested that the battery was too big for its compartment.

New Note 7 models will have a battery from Amperex Technology, a subsidiary of Japan's TDK.

The iPhone 7 is generally considered an evolutionary advancement like the iPhone 6s, above all featuring a better processor, water resistance, and new camera technology, including a dual-lens camera on the 7 Plus. Apple is thought to be saving a major redesign for next year's model, which could have an edge-to-edge OLED display with an embedded "virtual button."

Edited by Timbo (09/19/16 09:45 AM)

#1490317 --- 10/02/16 01:37 PM Re: Samsung fire [Re: bluezone]
Timbo Offline
Silver Member

Samsung Galaxy Note 7 explosions and recall causing a nightmare in China.

Samsung's problems with the Galaxy Note 7 smartphone didn't stop at a global recall after several models of the phone exploded.

The company is facing a growing backlash from Chinese customers and even the country's government after it refused to recall the phone there:

http://www.businessinsider.com/samsung-galaxy-note-7-explosions-recall-nightmare-china-2016-9

#1490332 --- 10/03/16 06:51 AM Re: Samsung fire [Re: Timbo]
Formermac Offline

My old Note 5 is starting to look more and more like a keeper.

#1490338 --- 10/03/16 09:54 AM Re: Samsung fire [Re: Formermac]
Timbo Offline
Silver Member

grin

#1490608 --- 10/09/16 10:41 AM Re: Samsung fire [Re: bluezone]
Timbo Offline
Silver Member

Samsung Note 7: Third 'safe' replacement catches fire.

Following the news that another Note 7 replacement device caught fire, Samsung is in trouble again.

The device belonged to Michael Klering from Kentucky, United States, who had it a for a little over a week. Speaking to WKYT about the incident, Klering said he woke at 4am to find his bedroom filled with smoke. “The entire room just covered in smoke, smells awful. I look over and my phone is on fire”.

http://tribune.com.pk/story/1196002/samsung-note-7-third-safe-replacement-catches-fire/

#1490609 --- 10/09/16 10:43 AM Re: Samsung fire [Re: bluezone]
Timbo Offline
Silver Member

Samsung stayed silent after ‘safe’ Galaxy Note 7 exploded and sent a man to the ER.

Samsung is being accused of staying silent after it was made aware of yet another incident involving a newer Galaxy Note 7 handset that was issued to a Kentucky man as a replacement:

http://bgr.com/2016/10/09/samsung-note-7-recall-replaccement-explosion/

#1490613 --- 10/09/16 11:02 AM Re: Samsung fire [Re: bluezone]
Timbo Offline
Silver Member

AT&T Said to Consider Stopping All Samsung Note 7 Sales:

AT&T Inc. is considering stopping all sales of Samsung Electronics Co.’s flagship Galaxy Note 7 over concerns about the smartphone’s safety, according to a person familiar with the situation.

A final decision will likely come as soon as Friday, said the person, who asked not to be identified because the deliberations are private. AT&T spokesman Fletcher Cook declined to comment.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/...ng-note-7-sales

#1490621 --- 10/09/16 04:55 PM Re: Samsung fire [Re: bluezone]
Timbo Offline
Silver Member

Samsung says it's 'working diligently' as FIFTH REPLACEMENT Note 7 burns.

ANOTHER replacement Samsung Galaxy Note 7 has caught fire, this one in Houston, Texas. Daniel Franks was at lunch with his daughter and wife when their replacement caught fire while sitting on the table, he told The Verge in an interview. It had been replaced at a Best Buy store in late September.

Franks said that his eight-year old daughter regularly plays Minecraft on the phone and wondered what could have happened if she was holding it or it was in his pocket or sitting on a nightstand.

This is the (1, 2, 3, 4) fifth replacement Note 7 that has caught fire in the US in the past week that we know of. It seems likely that there are more. AT&T has stopped selling the phones entirely, while the US Consumer Product Safety Commission says it is "moving expeditiously" to investigate, though perhaps even that isn’t quickly enough.

More:
http://www.theverge.com/2016/10/9/13219878/samsung-galaxy-note-7-replacement-fire-fifth-statement

#1490633 --- 10/09/16 10:43 PM Re: Samsung fire [Re: bluezone]
Timbo Offline
Silver Member

Samsung suspends production of Galaxy Note 7, AT&T and T-Mobile stop offering replacements.

Following a recall and efforts to fix dangerous flaws with its flagship phablet Galaxy Note 7, Samsung is now said to have temporarily suspended production of the jumbo-sized handset entirely, while U.S. carriers AT&T and T-Mobile have announced they will no longer offer replacement units.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/16/10/0...ng-replacements

#1490654 --- 10/10/16 12:36 PM Re: Samsung fire [Re: bluezone]
Timbo Offline
Silver Member

Samsung is sending incomprehensible emails to Note 7 owners looking for a refund.

'We have limited information on a lot of the process at this time'

http://www.theverge.com/2016/10/10/13227...ncomprehensible

#1490657 --- 10/10/16 01:47 PM Re: Samsung fire [Re: bluezone]
Timbo Offline
Silver Member

Sprint and Best Buy cease sales of replacement Galaxy Note 7 smartphones.

Samsung's Galaxy Note 7 mess keeps getting messier: Sprint has just announced that it is halting sales of replacement units of the Galaxy Note 7 smartphone, following the numerous reports of devices catching fire. Sprint follows AT&T, T-Mobile, and Verizon, which have all made similar moves over the past couple of days. Best Buy has also announced that it is ceasing sales of the beleaguered Note 7:

http://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2...-sales-stopping

#1490658 --- 10/10/16 02:09 PM Re: Samsung fire [Re: Timbo]
Formermac Offline

Timbo, I mistakenly told you that I have a Note 5, I actually have a Note 4, I considered the Note 5 but talked myself out of that move due to Samsung leaving out the SD card slot, basically both phones were identical in terms of CPU speed and Touchwiz interface. My question, do the Note 5 or 7 possess irremovable backs giving access to the battery? The reason I ask seeing that the primary culprit is the battery itself and not the phone.

#1490660 --- 10/10/16 02:37 PM Re: Samsung fire [Re: Formermac]
Timbo Offline
Silver Member

Yes (and NO). But only IF you know what you're doing

Here's the process for the Note5:
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Samsung+Galaxy+Note5+Battery+Replacement/51173

Note7 Teardown (definitely easier):
https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Samsung+Galaxy+Note7+Teardown/66389

Never underestimate the EXTREMELY DELICATE nature of portable device servicing. I own several IFIXIT repair kits and I still gnash my teeth when cracking open the case to make repairs on ANY modern smartphone, tablet or notebook. I've damaged more than a couple while attempting such repairs.

If your hands are steady and you feel like risking it, here's a good, moderately priced kit from IFIXIT. This one ran me about $40 (don't forget to also purchase a handfulll of medium-stiff guitar picks to hold open the case, as you pry it off):

Seeing as how, a few short years ago, I completely 'decontaminated' ( wink ) my technology systems, so that I'm now happily running virtually problem-free on a pure Apple ecosystem, perhaps Doc D has a more nuanced or up-to-date familiarity with these devices.

Hope this helps. Good Luck.

#1490661 --- 10/10/16 03:01 PM Re: Samsung fire [Re: Timbo]
Formermac Offline

I'm a proficient electrical engineer, in the realm of electronics, I know enough to be dangerous and I mean that literally.
My son and I have learned to convert schematics into PDF file and dump them unto my phone adverse to a bigger tablet but a speedier processor is always on my wish list.

#1490662 --- 10/10/16 03:11 PM Re: Samsung fire [Re: Formermac]
Timbo Offline
Silver Member

Originally Posted By: Formermac
I'm a proficient electrical engineer, in the realm of electronics, I know enough to be dangerous and I mean that literally.
My son and I have learned to convert schematics into PDF file and dump them unto my phone adverse to a bigger tablet but a speedier processor is always on my wish list.

That's the only reason I suggested that you might want to handle the repair, yourself.

Be sure to carefully and repeatedly study the "project video" on their website before you begin. These repairs can be like knitting a lace doily with glass thread. Most importantly... take your time at it. If you should come across any ZIF Sockets, don't even attempt to unplug them until you are thoroughly familiar with the type and the process involved.

I'm sure I'm stating the obvious, but a hands-free magnifier dramatically reduces the chance of breaking fragile connectors.

#1490726 --- 10/13/16 02:23 AM Re: Samsung fire [Re: bluezone]
Timbo Offline
Silver Member

#1490888 --- 10/19/16 02:37 PM Re: Samsung fire [Re: bluezone]
Timbo Offline
Silver Member

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >