FingerLakes1.com Forums
Topic Options
#1483470 --- 04/01/16 12:30 PM Dogs Barking a lot
Jaggu Offline

Loc: Seneca
Seeking some input on how to deal with this situation in a professional manner. I have a fenced yard and our neighbor has two dogs. Whenever I'm working in the yard, they continually bark. This has been going on for 2 yrs. I thought dogs, when they are small are hyper and might bark lot more and will eventually subside when they grow little big. It's been going on for 2 yrs, apparently neighbor doesn't realize this could be very annoying to others.

I'm on good terms with our neighbor, not very close but no issues either. I hate to have to say anything to our neighbor and wish they would realize this on their own. I'm thinking about politely making my neighbor aware of this situation. Let me know if you have any suggestion, highly appreciate it.

Edited by Jaggu (04/01/16 12:30 PM)

FingerLakes1.com
#1483471 --- 04/01/16 02:17 PM Re: Dogs Barking a lot [Re: Jaggu]
Hello_Governer Offline

Loc: New York, Seneca
The dogs aren't used to seeing you "out in the yard" so you are an intruder. Sometimes just talking softly to them will calm them down. Keep in mind that dogs are supposed to bark when something is going on that is a little unusual.

#1483482 --- 04/01/16 05:43 PM Re: Dogs Barking a lot [Re: Jaggu]
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Houston, TX
Ask your neighbor if it's okay if you engage in a little counterconditioning with his dogs. Ask about what food or treats it's okay for them to eat, and then treat them by throwing the food over the fence when they bark at you. (Also speak with them in a soothing or upbeat voice.) In time they will associate you with delicious food and will stop barking. If the owner expresses concern that the dogs will stop barking at people outside, assure him or her that is not the case--the dogs will associate you in the backyard with the treats only and will still probably make a racket when you first go out there no matter what. They'll certainly keep barking at the mailman and others!

Your neighbor will appreciate your asking before feeding the dogs first, and probably the positive approach as well. I do this with our neighbor dog now and it only takes a "Hello, buddy! Here's some treats!" and he calms down.

#1483501 --- 04/02/16 08:28 PM Re: Dogs Barking a lot [Re: past tense]
all seeing eye Offline

Loc: Seneca Lake
Or you could be training the dog that he will get treats if he barks at the neighbor. That is what happened when my sister tried to get my dog to stop barking at her and gave him treats. He just barked to get the treats.

Originally Posted By: past tense
Ask your neighbor if it's okay if you engage in a little counterconditioning with his dogs. Ask about what food or treats it's okay for them to eat, and then treat them by throwing the food over the fence when they bark at you. (Also speak with them in a soothing or upbeat voice.) In time they will associate you with delicious food and will stop barking. If the owner expresses concern that the dogs will stop barking at people outside, assure him or her that is not the case--the dogs will associate you in the backyard with the treats only and will still probably make a racket when you first go out there no matter what. They'll certainly keep barking at the mailman and others!

Your neighbor will appreciate your asking before feeding the dogs first, and probably the positive approach as well. I do this with our neighbor dog now and it only takes a "Hello, buddy! Here's some treats!" and he calms down.

#1483539 --- 04/04/16 12:29 PM Re: Dogs Barking a lot [Re: Jaggu]
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Houston, TX
You start by giving him treats when he barks, then wait til he stops barking and start treating. It would help if the owner would train too, of course.

Great resources online that can help -- give them a Google. Most are for owners but easy enough for neighbors to modify. Just always check to make sure you aren't giving the dog food against owner wishes, or not in line with dog's diet!

Edited by past tense (04/04/16 12:31 PM)

#1483541 --- 04/04/16 01:08 PM Re: Dogs Barking a lot [Re: Jaggu]
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Jaggu
Seeking some input on how to deal with this situation in a professional manner. I have a fenced yard and our neighbor has two dogs.

is this a 6ft privacy fence?
if there is a 6ft privacy that closes off these dogs to the surrounding properties then the dogs may not be able to see what the activity and noises that they experience in their own yard
they may have a slight fear of strange noises and may consider it some form of a threat to them
if they are not socialized then they may not know how to act

Whenever I'm working in the yard, they continually bark.

is it an aggressive bark?

have another family member look out your second floor window and see if the dogs are pointed towards your direction when they are barking
they may be barking at other noises they hear

I would have another family member watch dogs for a period of time from the second floor window and see which direction they are barking the most

it may give you some insight on the root of the barking

have you been over to the neighbors house and interacted with the dogs in a postive manner?
if you interact with the dogs and show to them that you are not someone to fear then when they are in their back yard and smell your 'scent' without seeing you they will know that you are not someone they should fear and not a reason to bark

This has been going on for 2 yrs. I thought dogs, when they are small are hyper and might bark lot more and will eventually subside when they grow little big. It's been going on for 2 yrs, apparently neighbor doesn't realize this could be very annoying to others.

does the owner walk these dogs daily?
younger dogs need to be walked daily to release the energy they have

by walking the dogs in the neighborhood it not only releases the energy they have but then they are able to associate the 'noises' they hear when they are inside the privay fence
it should calm their fears of the 'unknown' sounds they experience inside their privacy fenced yard

if they are unable to release that daily energy then it can result in constant barking

also sounds like the dogs have not been 'socialized'

if you or one of your other neighbors has a dog that is well behaved it may be a good idea to let the well behaved dogs interact with these dogs so they can 'learn' how to act without all the barking

Let me know if you have any suggestion, highly appreciate it.

the show 'the dog whisperer' with cesar millan offers many tips on his show

cesar explains to owners that they must become the 'alpha' leader so the dogs can learn from the owners rather then the dogs taking the lead

dogs have the 'pack' instincts and they need an 'alpha' leader

if the owner does not take the 'alpha' role then the dogs will

when an owner walks the dog it is easy to see if the owner has taken the 'alpha' role

when dogs have the 'alpha' role they will run out in front of the owner and pull the lease constantly

cesar gives tips on how to remedy this

#1483548 --- 04/04/16 02:18 PM Re: Dogs Barking a lot [Re: bluezone]
scwoodchuck Offline

Loc: LOST IN SPACE

This has been going on for 2 yrs. I thought dogs, when they are small are hyper and might bark lot more and will eventually subside when they grow little big. It's been going on for 2 yrs, apparently neighbor doesn't realize this could be very annoying to others.

crazy

This person obviously knows nothing about dogs. Personally I find everything ANNOYING. crazy

#1484243 --- 04/30/16 01:11 PM Re: Dogs Barking a lot [Re: James Killit]
kcee2u Offline

Loc: south florida
you are a disgusting person!!!

#1484430 --- 05/10/16 12:32 AM Re: Dogs Barking a lot [Re: Jaggu]
young guns Offline

Loc: USA
Gee that's what dogs do. Bass Pro has some nice sets of ear plugs
ought to try some out.

If your dog doesn't like some one you shouldn't either.JMO