FingerLakes1.com Forums
Topic Options
#1479098 --- 11/29/15 08:52 AM Password managers
grinch Offline

Loc: New York State
I have been toying with the idea of using a password manager and ran across two free programs. Dashline and LastPass 3.0. Does anyone use these programs and what has been your experience with them?

FingerLakes1.com
#1479111 --- 11/29/15 12:14 PM Re: Password managers [Re: grinch]
Timbo Offline
Silver Member

Loc: CNY

Be sure to read the comments sections.

Best Password Manager: Dashlane vs LastPass vs 1Password vs RoboForm vs KeePass:
http://www.asecurelife.com/dashlane-vs-lastpass-vs-1password-vs-roboform-vs-keepass/

Lifehacker Faceoff: The Best Password Managers, Compared:
http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2015/02/lifehacker-faceoff-the-best-password-managers-compared/

#1479119 --- 11/29/15 02:35 PM Re: Password managers [Re: grinch]
DR. D Offline

Loc: Waterloo/Seneca Falls/Junius/T...
I don't trust anything, I write them down and lock them in my safe... then lock the safe in the gun safe.

#1479124 --- 11/29/15 04:52 PM Re: Password managers [Re: DR. D]
grinch Offline

Loc: New York State
Thanks Dr. D, I am a bit paranoid about using such a program for a number of reasons. I am concerned about programs storing info elsewhere and the possibility of a hacker gaining access to those programs, regardless of encryption and assurances that cannot happen.

Nothing is impossible and I feel more secure memorizing and or storing a list in a secure place ( not on the internet) off line at my business or at home is better for me and one less worry to be concerned about. No one else uses this puter and where I store my list is inaccessible to anyone but me. In my view it is less of a worry than storing them in some unknown location.

I do get tired of writing down all the info and would like something on my puter where I can type in the info, store it on a usb drive and access it when needed. I would like some software that does all the functions available to Lastpass and Dashline but be only on my PC and not connected to the internet and not stored at some other location.

#1479140 --- 11/30/15 06:26 AM Re: Password managers [Re: grinch]
Timbo Offline
Silver Member

Loc: CNY

Statistically speaking, you're generally far safer by storing in the cloud. If you're someone who's meticulous with security updates, et al, you'll probably do well to store data locally on your home system. I'm personally more comfortable storing locally with 1Password (extremely reliable from my experience) on a Mac. I rely on constant use of seperate passwords and benefit from such apps. Most individuals probably don't do the "heavy lifting" that I do.

As with all things, a delicate balance between convenience and probability.

#1479297 --- 12/03/15 10:01 PM Re: Password managers [Re: grinch]
all seeing eye Offline

Loc: Seneca Lake
I use lastpass, which is free on one computer. If you want to access it from all your computers, phones, tablets, etc. there is a charge, but I don't recall what it was.

It will generate secure passwords and then remember them for you. I like it. Easier than remembering all the store and on line shopping sign in stuff. I also like the form fill feature.

Google chrome will also remember passwords, which is helpful from my android phone.

Try it on one computer for free and see if you like it.

Harry S. Truman