FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 6 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#1481278 --- 01/30/16 01:05 PM Re: Save the white deer, birds and wildlife at the Seneca Army Depot [Re: Hello_Governer]
kyle585 Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Somewhere out there
Originally Posted By: Hello_Governer
Originally Posted By: kyle
He pulled us out 10 years later. How long should we have stayed?
we may ended up going back so you tell me
Oh maybe 50-100 years should do it. or until Donald Trump fixes everything. grin

FingerLakes1.com
#1481510 --- 02/07/16 02:52 PM Re: Save the white deer, birds and wildlife at the Seneca Army Depot [Re: kyle585]
Hello_Governer Offline

Loc: New York, Seneca
getting back to the deer,

Since we need to get the farmers involved in protecting Seneca Lake by creating buffer zones to control run-off maybe we should incorporate the two. Get farmers to set aside sensitive areas near creeks and streams and create a more suitable habitat for deer. By allowing more land to become wild again would protect both the deer and the lake. Farmers could then control who hunts on their land and what game is taken. Since a mature buck has a range of up to 25 square miles and will drive out smaller bucks the white genes could be spread over a much bigger area.

#1481571 --- 02/10/16 04:59 AM Re: Save the white deer, birds and wildlife at the Seneca Army Depot [Re: Ghosts]
ibepokenmore Offline

Loc: waterloo
The white deer are as good as gone. There is money to be had there and that signs all the animals living there death warrants. But then that is the way of the world.

#1481573 --- 02/10/16 05:43 AM Re: Save the white deer, birds and wildlife at the Seneca Army Depot [Re: ibepokenmore]
scwoodchuck Online   content

Loc: LOST IN SPACE
that's not necessarily true, public support will find a way. I can't figure out why anyone would think the County government should be involved anyway, I mean, they screw up everything else they do. The trapping incident should tell you something, someone connected thought he could get away with breaking the law. I think the Gov. is on to something that WILL WORK. Can you imagine how the guy trapping feels right now ? Bet he is scared to death to show his face in public.

Did anyone stop to think that the fence had little to do with the white deer being here in the first place ? They are confined between two natural barriers, two huge lakes. The fact that there are white deer in many other states, should tell you something.

Edited by scwoodchuck (02/10/16 06:05 AM)

#1481999 --- 02/19/16 11:36 AM Re: Save the white deer, birds and wildlife at the Seneca Army Depot [Re: all seeing eye]
all seeing eye Offline

Loc: Seneca Lake
Concern Continues Regarding Health And Size of White Deer Herd At Depot

2/18/2016 11:46:16 AM
By Joe Nittler

While the Town of Varick and Seneca White Deer, Inc. have announced an informal handshake deal to develop a potential white deer preserve at the former Seneca Army Depot, there is great concern about the health and size of the herd. White Deer President Dennis Money flew over the property a couple weeks back and counted no more than 80 white deer. That's down for an estimated 200 from just 8 years ago. Money says with proper management, those numbers can grow again.

Money says they would partner with a group called the Quality Deer Management Association and the Seneca County Federation of Sportsmen to do habitat analysis and development.

Finger Lakes Daily News

This is the group that Seneca White Deer and the Seneca County Federation of Sportsmen plan to partner with to manage the herd:

The Quality Deer Management Association (QDMA) is a non-profit wildlife conservation organization dedicated to ensuring the future of white-tailed deer, wildlife habitat and our hunting heritage.

Founded in 1988, the QDMA has more than 60,000 members in all 50 states and several foreign countries. Since the beginning, QDMA has worked to educate its members and all deer hunters about the benefits of the Quality Deer Management (QDM) philosophy. This effort aided by the support of numerous member-volunteers, corporate sponsors, and other QDM advocates has rapidly increased awareness and implementation of QDM throughout North America, resulting in healthier, more balanced deer populations and more rewarding hunting experiences. As it grew in membership and influence, QDMA also began working to secure a sustainable future for wild white-tailed deer through practical research and by advocating for wise policy and regulation that will protect our hunting heritage. Additionally, QDMA works to attract, assist, educate and guide young and new hunters to ensure they become tomorrow's stewards of whitetails and all wildlife.

QDMA website

Edited by all seeing eye (02/19/16 12:03 PM)

Harry S. Truman

#1482015 --- 02/19/16 03:34 PM Re: Save the white deer, birds and wildlife at the Seneca Army Depot [Re: all seeing eye]
Hello_Governer Offline

Loc: New York, Seneca
I know someone who used to fly around and he claims there are lots of white deer OUTSIDE the depot crazy

#1482023 --- 02/19/16 08:12 PM Re: Save the white deer, birds and wildlife at the Seneca Army Depot [Re: all seeing eye]
all seeing eye Offline

Sounds like the plan is a trophy hunt, behind the new publicly funded fence.

Harry S. Truman

#1482031 --- 02/19/16 10:49 PM Re: Save the white deer, birds and wildlife at the Seneca Army Depot [Re: all seeing eye]
Devil's Advocate Offline

Loc: 6th Circle of Hell
Originally Posted By: all seeing eye

Explain how keeping deer isolated and inbred to maintain a purely physical appearance is different than a puppy mill, please.

#1482032 --- 02/20/16 07:02 AM Re: Save the white deer, birds and wildlife at the Seneca Army Depot [Re: Devil's Advocate]
all seeing eye Offline

Not sure of your point. Are you saying that there should NOT be a wildlife park?

Originally Posted By: Devil's Advocate

Explain how keeping deer isolated and inbred to maintain a purely physical appearance is different than a puppy mill, please.

Harry S. Truman

#1482036 --- 02/20/16 07:41 AM Re: Save the white deer, birds and wildlife at the Seneca Army Depot [Re: all seeing eye]
Devil's Advocate Offline

Loc: 6th Circle of Hell
Quote:
Not sure of your point. Are you saying that there should NOT be a wildlife park?

What ethically run wildlife park is based on taking a herd of animals with a recessive gene and repeatedly inbreeding it to maintain that recessive gene?

And how is that different than mill practices?

#1482040 --- 02/20/16 08:49 AM Re: Save the white deer, birds and wildlife at the Seneca Army Depot [Re: Devil's Advocate]
all seeing eye Offline

Again, I am not sure of your point. What are you saying should be done with the white deer, which have no protective coloration and would not be able to survive long in the wild?

Originally Posted By: Devil's Advocate
Quote:

What ethically run wildlife park is based on taking a herd of animals with a recessive gene and repeatedly inbreeding it to maintain that recessive gene?

And how is that different than mill practices?

Harry S. Truman

#1482041 --- 02/20/16 09:11 AM Re: Save the white deer, birds and wildlife at the Seneca Army Depot [Re: all seeing eye]

<!-- -->
Again, I am not sure of your point. What are you saying should be done with the white deer, which have no protective coloration and would not be able to survive long in the wild?
The army did not do anything special to protect the deer. The deer have done just fine both inside and outside the fence. To fence them in on 3000 acres will do more HARM than good.

#1482042 --- 02/20/16 09:15 AM Re: Save the white deer, birds and wildlife at the Seneca Army Depot [Re: Hello_Governer]

getting back to the deer,

Since we need to get the farmers involved in protecting Seneca Lake by creating buffer zones to control run-off maybe we should incorporate the two. Get farmers to set aside sensitive areas near creeks and streams and create a more suitable habitat for deer. By allowing more land to become wild again would protect both the deer and the lake. Farmers could then control who hunts on their land and what game is taken. Since a mature buck has a range of up to 25 square miles and will drive out smaller bucks the white genes could be spread over a much bigger area.
this is NOT about protecting the white deer, it's about controling the deer to make a BUCK.

Edited by scwoodchuck (02/20/16 09:18 AM)

#1482048 --- 02/20/16 10:31 AM Re: Save the white deer, birds and wildlife at the Seneca Army Depot [Re: all seeing eye]
Hot Burrito Offline

Loc: Tiajuna Flats
Quote:

Why do you want to keep breeding wild animals that can't survive in the wild?

#1482049 --- 02/20/16 10:42 AM Re: Save the white deer, birds and wildlife at the Seneca Army Depot [Re: scwoodchuck]
kyle585 Offline
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: scwoodchuck
<!-- -->
The army did not do anything special to protect the deer. The deer have done just fine both inside and outside the fence. To fence them in on 3000 acres will do more HARM than good.
They certainly did. I have heard of every few white deer outside the depot fence. And the Army planted grain and corn for them to eat. As well as put out salt licks for them.

#1482050 --- 02/20/16 10:43 AM Re: Save the white deer, birds and wildlife at the Seneca Army Depot [Re: Hot Burrito]
kyle585 Offline
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: Hot Burrito
Quote:
Why do you want to keep breeding wild animals that can't survive in the wild?
For their great beauty enjoyed by many and the tourists it will draw.

#1482051 --- 02/20/16 10:46 AM Re: Save the white deer, birds and wildlife at the Seneca Army Depot [Re: Hello_Governer]
kyle585 Offline
Gold Member

I know someone who used to fly around and he claims there are lots of white deer OUTSIDE the depot crazy
I don't believe that for a minute. I have hardly ever heard of one outside the fence. In the fall there are often pics in the paper of hunters with the deer they shot. If someone shoot a white outside the depot it would certainly have been in the paper. I have never seen it.

#1482052 --- 02/20/16 11:18 AM Re: Save the white deer, birds and wildlife at the Seneca Army Depot [Re: Hello_Governer]
kyle585 Offline
Gold Member

Did you see todays paper ? What I didn't like about the article was the fact that now everyone knows a dead white deer is worth up to $3,000.00.
So if someone shoots one outside the depot it will be big news and probably on the front page of the paper. In addition to having an area on the depot for them I would like to see a law against shooting them outside the depot.

#1482053 --- 02/20/16 11:42 AM Re: Save the white deer, birds and wildlife at the Seneca Army Depot [Re: kyle585]

[/quote]The army did not do anything special to protect the deer. The deer have done just fine both inside and outside the fence. To fence them in on 3000 acres will do more HARM than good. [/quote]They certainly did. I have heard of every few white deer outside the depot fence. And the Army planted grain and corn for them to eat. As well as put out salt licks for them.[/quote]

AH, that's called "baiting" and it's illegal to feed deer in New York State, but they also shot the deer. Go to Hessney's auction some time there are white deer mounts for sale sometimes. Why don't they just build a petting zoo ?

#1482054 --- 02/20/16 11:51 AM Re: Save the white deer, birds and wildlife at the Seneca Army Depot [Re: kyle585]

Originally Posted By: kyle585
I don't believe that for a minute. I have hardly ever heard of one outside the fence.

I have gone by the depot many times since 1957 and I have seen, with my own eyes, white deer outside the depot fence. crazy

there were white deer running around these parts long before there were white men running around these parts grin

Edited by scwoodchuck (02/20/16 11:57 AM)

Page 6 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >