FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 5 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#1480865 --- 01/21/16 06:13 PM Re: Save the white deer, birds and wildlife at the Seneca Army Depot [Re: SilverFox]
all seeing eye Offline

Loc: Seneca Lake
Unfortunately, animals are treated as property under the law.

But the owner might be able to get the new sheriff to bring charges of animal cruelty:

353. Overdriving, torturing and injuring animals; failure to provide proper sustenance. A person who overdrives, overloads, tortures or cruelly beats or unjustifiably injures, maims, mutilates or kills any animal, whether wild or tame, and whether belonging to himself or to another, or deprives any animal of necessary sustenance, food or drink, or neglects or refuses to furnish it such sustenance or drink, or causes, procures or permits any animal to be overdriven, overloaded, tortured, cruelly beaten, or unjustifiably injured, maimed, mutilated or killed, or to be deprived of necessary food or drink, or who wilfully sets on foot, instigates, engages in, or in any way furthers any act of cruelty to any animal, or any act tending to produce such cruelty, is guilty of a class A misdemeanor and for purposes of paragraph (b) of subdivision one of section 160.10 of the criminal procedure law, shall be treated as a misdemeanor defined in the penal law.

It's not much, but it is a lot more than some fines.

Anyone know these dudes?

Harry S. Truman

FingerLakes1.com
#1480866 --- 01/21/16 06:54 PM Re: Save the white deer, birds and wildlife at the Seneca Army Depot [Re: Ghosts]
Top Dog Offline

Loc: Lap Dog
Town of Seneca Falls Nuisance Animal Control Officer Clint Moosman. Have fun with that my friends.

What were the 12 tickets issued to the men? Is this tresspassing?

#1480867 --- 01/21/16 07:18 PM Re: Save the white deer, birds and wildlife at the Seneca Army Depot [Re: Top Dog]
all seeing eye Offline

Actually, Clint is licensed by DEC as a nuisance animal control operator.

He should lose his license.

Part of the training about the use of lethal traps says:

As with all lethal techniques, care is needed to make sure that only the intended nuisance animals are caught. Body-gripping traps are often set in front of the animal's entrance hole because the animal must pass through the jaws of the trap to be captured. This way, only an animal entering or leaving the hole will be caught.

Use extra caution if you're setting a body-gripping trap on the ground, because of the risk to people, pets, and other wildlife.

Harry S. Truman

#1480869 --- 01/21/16 07:26 PM Re: Save the white deer, birds and wildlife at the Seneca Army Depot [Re: scwoodchuck]
scwoodchuck Offline

Loc: LOST IN SPACE
Originally Posted By: scwoodchuck
Originally Posted By: DR. D
A few of the traps had the persons name on them who owned them, so I am thinking someone is gonna get a visit from the DEC at some point.

unless they were working for the DEC, trying to get the coyote population down

POSTED MONDAY
wink
we don't know what we don't know, I guess we'll have to wait and see

#1480872 --- 01/21/16 07:48 PM Re: Save the white deer, birds and wildlife at the Seneca Army Depot [Re: Ghosts]
Top Dog Offline

Are we trying to get the coyote population down?

#1480873 --- 01/21/16 09:04 PM Re: Save the white deer, birds and wildlife at the Seneca Army Depot [Re: Ghosts]
Here's Johnny Offline

Loc: New York
So why were the traps set? Stupid question?

#1480875 --- 01/21/16 09:30 PM Re: Save the white deer, birds and wildlife at the Seneca Army Depot [Re: Here's Johnny]
all seeing eye Offline

I think the answer may be here:

Animal Pelts on Ebay

Harry S. Truman

#1480878 --- 01/22/16 04:58 AM Re: Save the white deer, birds and wildlife at the Seneca Army Depot [Re: Ghosts]
Top Dog Offline

Have we heard from the Seneca White Deer people?

They should comment.

#1480882 --- 01/22/16 07:45 AM Re: Save the white deer, birds and wildlife at the Seneca Army Depot [Re: Top Dog]
all seeing eye Offline

"Dennis Money, a Canandaigua resident, is president of Seneca White Deer, the nonprofit working to preserve the former depot as a historic site and home of the unique herd of white deer. Seneca White Deer is submitting a business plan backed up by money it is raising to buy the property.

I think the trapping issue is just the tip of the iceberg, Money said in an email, referring to what may be going on at the depot. To my knowledge the IDA never checked on whether the Army personnel were doing their jobs."

Money mentioned two incidents in which cars went through the fence on the west side of the depot and a temporary flimsy orange fence was put up. Many weeks later due to the public outcry, the two incidents were resolved with permanent fencing. It was the public, not the IDA, who forced these issues to be resolved, Money said."

MPN Illegal Body Gripping Traps Used

Harry S. Truman

#1480884 --- 01/22/16 08:51 AM Re: Save the white deer, birds and wildlife at the Seneca Army Depot [Re: all seeing eye]
Hello_Governer Offline

Loc: New York, Seneca
If the deer can jump the fence what does a hole in the fence matter ? All we really need is a stiff fine for taking a white deer, say $10,000.

#1480893 --- 01/22/16 01:15 PM Re: Save the white deer, birds and wildlife at the Seneca Army Depot [Re: Ghosts]
Top Dog Offline

The hole might serve as an entrance for coyote, who will feast on white deer.

I wonder what he means by "tip of the iceberg"?

#1481004 --- 01/25/16 01:36 AM Re: Save the white deer, birds and wildlife at the Seneca Army Depot [Re: Top Dog]
Hello_Governer Offline

I'm sure if a coyote wants to get in, it could just dig under the fence, besides the front gate is wide open.

#1481083 --- 01/27/16 08:10 AM Re: Save the white deer, birds and wildlife at the Seneca Army Depot [Re: Ghosts]
all seeing eye Offline

Committee Passes Resolution for County to Acquire Seneca Army Depot

1/27/2016 1:50:09 AM
By Fred von Wiegen

Finger Lakes Daily News

Seneca County is in the running to acquire the remaining 7,000 acres of the Seneca Army Depot. The county's Planning, Development, Agriculture and Tourism Committee met Tuesday night and passed a resolution in favor of acquiring the property. The full board is expected to take up the measure in two weeks. According to Committee Chairman Stephen Churchill, the county would preserve the herd of 200 rare white deer that live within the confines of the abandoned mititary enclosure and he expects the county would run bus tours to bring tourists to the site.

The Seneca County Industrial Development Agency is looking for buyers to bid on the property and have set a deadline of February 29 for submission of bids. Churchill believes the IDA would be agreeable to transferring the depot to the county. It's unclear how the county would pay for the property, but Churchill believes it would not come out of the pockets of Seneca County taxpayers. Meanwhile, Seneca White Deer, a not-for-profit group, is actively seeking financial backers to acquire the depot and transform it into an eco-tourism attraction with the emphasis on preserving the white deer population.

Churchill told CNY Central that he wants the full board to vote on the resolution to acquire the site before the end of February -- in advance of the IDA's deadline to accept purchase bids.

#SenecaCounty

Harry S. Truman

#1481084 --- 01/27/16 08:53 AM Re: Save the white deer, birds and wildlife at the Seneca Army Depot [Re: all seeing eye]
Hello_Governer Offline

" It's unclear how the county would pay for the property, but Churchill believes it would not come out of the pockets of Seneca County taxpayers."

spoken like a true democrat, I would like to know how he thinks he can manage that. Just the fact that the property stays off the tax rolls costs tax payers money.

#1481111 --- 01/27/16 07:00 PM Re: Save the white deer, birds and wildlife at the Seneca Army Depot [Re: Top Dog]
scwoodchuck Offline

Originally Posted By: Top Dog
Are we trying to get the coyote population down?

http://www.whec.com/news/stories/S3788777.shtml?cat=565#.VU0H7qfhBi4.facebook
coyote warning in Seneca County

#1481158 --- 01/28/16 08:39 AM Re: Save the white deer, birds and wildlife at the Seneca Army Depot [Re: ]
scwoodchuck Offline

but a republican didn't make that stupid statement

#1481161 --- 01/28/16 09:30 AM Re: Save the white deer, birds and wildlife at the Seneca Army Depot [Re: scwoodchuck]
kyle585 Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Somewhere out there
A republican made this stupid statement: IRAQ has WMD's. And we are all still paying heavily for that stupid statement.

#1481164 --- 01/28/16 10:40 AM Re: Save the white deer, birds and wildlife at the Seneca Army Depot [Re: kyle585]
Hello_Governer Offline

Originally Posted By: kyle585
A republican made this stupid statement: IRAQ has WMD's. And we are all still paying heavily for that stupid statement.

AND A DEMOCRAT PULLED US OUT OF IRAQ AND WE HAVE AN EVEN BIGGER MESS

#1481168 --- 01/28/16 12:14 PM Re: Save the white deer, birds and wildlife at the Seneca Army Depot [Re: Hello_Governer]
kyle585 Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Somewhere out there
Originally Posted By: Hello_Governer
Originally Posted By: kyle585

AND A DEMOCRAT PULLED US OUT OF IRAQ AND WE HAVE AN EVEN BIGGER MESS
He pulled us out 10 years later. How long should we have stayed?

#1481275 --- 01/30/16 11:51 AM Re: Save the white deer, birds and wildlife at the Seneca Army Depot [Re: kyle585]
Hello_Governer Offline

[kyle/quote]He pulled us out 10 years later. How long should we have stayed? [/quote]

we may ended up going back so you tell me

Page 5 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >