FingerLakes1.com Forums
Topic Options
#1469592 --- 04/22/15 10:20 PM Trapped in car.
Code Red Offline

Loc: Out of my mind....
Now I know this sounds funny until you really stop to think about it. The other day I had a female person at work who was trapped in her car. She had fallen asleep in the car with the windows up, doors locked, probably listening to the radio. Anyhow the battery died, I mean completely dead, as in a door nail. Well guess what she couldn't get out. She was banging on the windows and got some people to go get her some help. But there she had the keys in her hand, so I couldn't unlock the door from the outside. And windows wouldn't budge and doors wouldn't unlock, seems comical huh? Now what if she had gotten into an accident driving, the electrical shorted out, and the car burst into flames? This small woman wouldn't have stood a chance. And the door locks went flush into the doors so there was nothing to grab onto and pull up. Guess Japan needs to rethink this one. I chuckled part of the day until I really thought about it. Things that make you go hummm.

FingerLakes1.com
#1469690 --- 04/24/15 01:56 PM Re: Trapped in car. [Re: Code Red]
SilverFox Offline

Loc: Waterloo
That is why you keep your cell phone with you. Also accidents and sudden illness while driving are good reasons why I have OnStar in the car. OnStar probably wouldn't help with a dead battery situation but should help in an accident or illness situation. At least it helps me feel safer on the road.

Edited by SilverFox (04/24/15 01:58 PM)

#1469870 --- 04/27/15 09:41 PM Re: Trapped in car. [Re: Code Red]
Bowzer Offline

BS!!! You manually unlock the door from inside and open it.

#1469891 --- 04/28/15 11:14 AM Re: Trapped in car. [Re: Bowzer]
SilverFox Offline

Loc: Waterloo
Quote:
the door locks went flush into the doors so there was nothing to grab onto and pull up.

If the door locks were flush with the window molding how would you manually unlock the door from the inside? My locks are like that so I would like to know how to open it in an emergency. Thanks.

#1469983 --- 04/29/15 09:31 PM Re: Trapped in car. [Re: Code Red]
young guns Offline

Loc: USA
Hi all. I have in all my vehicles a spring loaded punch
does wonders on breaking glass. As an old Boy Scout remember always be prepared. Back to the punch all one has to do is push it against the glass and it's broken just like that.
Also do not panic and relax remember your body will float up so go with the flow and don't swim deeper, let yourself float up.
Good luck OBTW a knife comes in real handing on seat belts if they are stuck and locked.

#1470049 --- 04/30/15 06:20 PM Re: Trapped in car. [Re: young guns]
Josephus Offline
Silver Member

Loc: NYS
Exactly! Just break the friggin' glass.

#1470062 --- 04/30/15 11:46 PM Re: Trapped in car. [Re: Code Red]
young guns Offline

"Exactly! Just break the friggin' glass". That's so true but when the pressure is equal on inside and the outside it can be a challenge. JUST do not panic.

#1470185 --- 05/02/15 08:54 PM Re: Trapped in car. [Re: Code Red]
Code Red Offline

Loc: Out of my mind....
LOL, she wasn't floating anywhere, she was in the parking lot. It is at a Hospital and she must have gone out to catch a few winks in her car while the patient slept. Anyhow, she thought we could just open the door for her, wrong. So she called someone with an extra set of keys and they came and unlocked it and jump started the car. But it does make a person think a little. You would never think it could happen, but it can.

#1472314 --- 06/14/15 07:56 PM Re: Trapped in car. [Re: Code Red]
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

Originally Posted By: Code Red
LOL, she wasn't floating anywhere, she was in the parking lot.

should have had her pop the hood and jump/charge the battery to get her out

some cars may be equipped with a release inside the trunk
if her car allows her to fold down one of the back seats to get into the trunk she may have been able to release the trunk and get out

or carry one of those small battery units you plug into the lighter to charge the battery enough to unlock the door

or mcgyver style
plug the cellphone into the charger
plug in the charger into the lighter
try the key to unlock the car

there may be just enough battery in the cell phone to unlock the car

#1472315 --- 06/14/15 08:03 PM Re: Trapped in car. [Re: Code Red]
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

The other day I had a female person at work who was trapped in her car.

is she a blonde?

#1472316 --- 06/14/15 08:06 PM Re: Trapped in car. [Re: Code Red]
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

. Anyhow, she thought we could just open the door for her, wrong. So she called someone with an extra set of keys and they came and unlocked it and jump started the car.

if the key was a slim style you could have had her remove it from the key ring and slide it between the window glass and the weather stripping to get it to you outside

did the care have a sun roof?
if it was open she could have got the key to you thru there