FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#1466237 --- 02/17/15 10:56 AM Re: Hobart / Poverty [Re: bluezone]
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: tag2
If you read the "Panther Pride" which was delivered this week I hope you read the article on page 11. I knew that we have a lot of folks who are struggling financially but... Over 55% of the elementary students are eligible for SNAP or Medicaid. The Geneva elementary schools were selected to participate in Community Eligibility Program through June 2018. This means that ALL of the students at West Street and North Street schools are able to eat breakfast and lunch at no cost. It is a federally funded program. While I am happy that these students will no longer face a day without or with very little food I am appalled that in our community there are so many people (including the little ones) who need this help.

FingerLakes1.com
#1466238 --- 02/17/15 10:58 AM Re: Hobart / Poverty [Re: bluezone]
ruby2 Offline

It's nice to have large businesses employing people in Geneva, but when those businesses (Hobart, Cornell, etc) take or drain away more than they give then what's the point. Not all large companies (businesses) do that. We should be thriving with all these large enterprises here and we are not.

Furtheermore, with all the tax exempt churches in Geneva, we should have way more community outreach from the faithful to the poor. A few more soup kitchens, some free winter clothes , looking after the elderly, a warm place to sit in winter other than going to the library for respite. The list is endless.

The clergy need to get out and mingle more with the needy. There are quite a few elitest churches here serving only the elite.

#1466240 --- 02/17/15 11:04 AM Re: Hobart / Poverty [Re: Formermac]
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

Originally Posted By: Formermac
I can and will respond to questions when they are asked in a manner sounding more intelligent than a 4 year old in a grocery store begging for candy.

Originally Posted By: bluezone
Originally Posted By: Formermac
As much as I hate to admit it, HWS colleges do add 40% to your local economy from August-May

and what is the dollar amount?

so sorry that asking for a dollar amount to a percentage that you offered relating to HWS was difficult for you to expand upon

have a wonderful day
smile

#1466242 --- 02/17/15 11:10 AM Re: Hobart / Poverty [Re: bluezone]
Formermac Offline

Your questions can be easily answer Blue but the problem......when you ask for the answer to say 24 plus 56, it's difficult to respond when you want it in terms not related to numbers.....I always have great days. laugh

#1466243 --- 02/17/15 11:17 AM Re: Hobart / Poverty [Re: bluezone]
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

if hobart was not part of geneva

would the taxes be half their current amount?

would all the properties along south main street along the lake be owner occupied and be paying their share of the (lower) taxes?

would the plaza on hamilton be twice as long with more stores/more employees and paying more taxes?

would wegmans be on the other side of hamilton street where HWS is ? would wegmans be twice as large? employing more people? paying more taxes?

would lowes/home depot be located on the land along hamilton street that HWS currently occupies? and would they be paying taxes / employing more people and adding to the local economy?

would the 200 acres that HWS occupies have residential homes paying their share of the taxes?

would geneva get more from the county with a higher percentage of the propertis not exempt?

sounds like victor, ny ... but geneva has the lake
whistle

#1466246 --- 02/17/15 11:30 AM Re: Hobart / Poverty [Re: bluezone]
Formermac Offline

Question Blue, does the City of Geneva residential home owners still pay County Taxes. Ask your country legislatures what tax advantages have you receive for the big ski slope being created in Flint NY along with the upgrade the City of Geneva made to their water treatment plant due to formerly processing liquid waste from the landfill. Every major road in Ontario County had to be repaired due to the constant traffic created by large trucks bringing other state's trash to your pristine landscape. How many water wells were contaminated due to the run off from the waste? What are the health issues related to all the smell and underground water table being contaminated? Is this a good trade off? Guess who's paying for all these upgrades....sure isn't Casella. crazy
BTW, the hundreds of jobs created must help the local economy besides the tax abatements promised.

#1466252 --- 02/17/15 12:17 PM Re: Hobart / Poverty [Re: bluezone]
ruby2 Offline

..... clearly we are being exploited every which way ...

#1467106 --- 03/05/15 09:11 AM Re: Hobart / Poverty [Re: bluezone]
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

If you read the "Panther Pride" which was delivered this week I hope you read the article on page 11. I knew that we have a lot of folks who are struggling financially but... Over 55% of the elementary students are eligible for SNAP or Medicaid. The Geneva elementary schools were selected to participate in Community Eligibility Program through June 2018. This means that ALL of the students at West Street and North Street schools are able to eat breakfast and lunch at no cost. It is a federally funded program. While I am happy that these students will no longer face a day without or with very little food I am appalled that in our community there are so many people (including the little ones) who need this help.

has HWS endowment reached $200 million?

#1467109 --- 03/05/15 09:41 AM Re: Hobart / Poverty [Re: bluezone]
Lucinda Knotts Offline

If not, they are awfully close to that based on previous years...

2012 figure was $161,338,000 (down about $13 million from 2011)
2013 figure was $181,787,616 according to US News & World Report. If growth from 2013 to 2015 was about half of the 2013-14 growth, they should be right around $200 million. Enough to buy that land next to the chicken coop that you're so worried about.

#1467266 --- 03/08/15 12:29 PM Re: Hobart / Poverty [Re: Lucinda Knotts]
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

Originally Posted By: Lucinda Knotts

If not, they are awfully close to that based on previous years...

2012 figure was $161,338,000 (down about $13 million from 2011)
2013 figure was $181,787,616 according to US News & World Report. If growth from 2013 to 2015 was about half of the 2013-14 growth, they should be right around $200 million.

and yet they can not offer to help pay half the cost to repair the street next to the college they use

#1467287 --- 03/09/15 10:04 AM Re: Hobart / Poverty [Re: bluezone]
Lucinda Knotts Offline

Well! We agree on something at last! Regarding the poor mouth attitude of HWS, see definition of Chutzpah

#1467288 --- 03/09/15 10:04 AM Re: Hobart / Poverty [Re: Lucinda Knotts]
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

it would be interesting to see how much money the performance center will bring in for HWS

odds that hws will share some of the money with the local community

#1468190 --- 03/28/15 11:51 AM Re: Hobart / Poverty [Re: bluezone]
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

wonder if HWS will offer a summer breakfast/lunch program for the students in West and North street schools?

is there any other community in Ontario County that is part of the 'Community Eligibility Program'?

#1468197 --- 03/28/15 01:40 PM Re: Hobart / Poverty [Re: bluezone]
Timbo Offline
Silver Member

Loc: CNY

wonder if HWS will offer a summer breakfast/lunch program for the students in West and North street schools?

is there any other community in Ontario County that is part of the 'Community Eligibility Program'?

"If you don't want your tax dollars to help the poor, then stop saying that you want a country based on Christian values. Because you don't!"
-John Fugelsang

#1468216 --- 03/28/15 07:03 PM Re: Hobart / Poverty [Re: bluezone]
ruby2 Offline

With so many tax exempt organizations in Geneva, most of them religious, Christian, there should be much, much more outreach into the community toward poor, toward all children, and the elderly. But what do you have nothing but a lot of God talk and Christian love talk and very little action. Lazy uninspired Christians. All talk, very little walk. Talk, talk, talk and serving only their own in so many cases and doing as little as possible there as well. Just talk.

#1468218 --- 03/28/15 07:14 PM Re: Hobart / Poverty [Re: bluezone]
ruby2 Offline

... Oh, and furthermore it's easy to find someone willing to preach the gospel to you, but difficult to find help when you need it. And the city is filled with judgemental holy holies looking to criticize and preach to you. All talk, just a lot of talk.

#1468239 --- 03/29/15 12:04 PM Re: Hobart / Poverty [Re: ruby2]
Josephus Offline
Silver Member

Loc: NYS
Originally Posted By: ruby2
... Oh, and furthermore it's easy to find someone willing to preach the gospel to you, but difficult to find help when you need it. And the city is filled with judgemental holy holies looking to criticize and preach to you. All talk, just a lot of talk.

To build on what you've said, ruby2...It's easy to find someone willing to preach the gospel, but harder to find someone who also lives by its principles.

#1478949 --- 11/24/15 09:29 AM Re: Hobart / Poverty [Re: Timbo]
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

HWS seems to find funds to improve on their campus while ignoring the rest of the community

#1478960 --- 11/24/15 12:00 PM Re: Hobart / Poverty [Re: bluezone]
Lucinda Knotts Offline

Exactly what do you suggest that HWS should do to ease the financial problems of less fortunate residents and families and in Geneva? Some form of direct assistance?

#1479007 --- 11/25/15 02:41 PM Re: Hobart / Poverty [Re: bluezone]
Hello_Governer Offline

Loc: New York, Seneca
Originally Posted By: cwjga
And yet Hobart contributes $244 million to the local economy.

do you have a break down of where in geneva that money went?

beer and pot most likely

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >