Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#1466192 --- 02/17/15 07:44 AM Re: Hobart / Poverty [Re: cwjga]
Formermac Offline

Loc: Above ground
Originally Posted By: cwjga
Originally Posted By: Oogie
DO you know that property taxes are not paid on that house? Good question for the city. I would guess that the house is part of his salary and would be taxed as it is used for personal use. Or at least a part of it.

Indeed I do know, and the information is readily available to the public. You can confirm it yourself by visiting the Ontario County Online Resources site (http://oncor.co.ontario.ny.us/oncor/). The site loads very slowly, but if you use the "Search Map" feature you can fairly easily zoom into Geneva to visualize the property upon which sits the mansion (parcel 104.19-2-1.100, also termed "Pulteney/Main/ St. Clair"). After selecting that property, clicking on "Estimated Taxes" at the top of the page reveals that no taxes of any type are paid on that property. Further digging reveals for previous years that taxes have never been paid.

It doesn't matter that Mr. Gearan uses the mansion for personal or partially personal use: he pays no local taxes for his residence, and he never has. Mr. Gearan, the city, and HWS all believe that is perfectly fair. As a person required to pay substantial county/school/city taxes on my property, I believe otherwise.

Then the city is missing out. a private individual is using that house, property taxes as such should be paid. Even cassella pays property taxes to the local school district, in the form of an agreed to payment. Because it is a private company using public property.

Hobart should do no less. But if the city does not go after that, well----

Go to a flat income tax and problem is solved. Well as long as the city is not a sh-t hole that the employees of Hobart don't want to live in.

How does our personal income tax liability equate to lowering our property tax which is based on the entire properties within said town/city/village. Again the problem doesn't stop just at Hobart-William Smith Colleges. Churches, Cornell Ext.(Experimental station) and associate properties are all exempt as well. When I left Geneva, the exemption rate was up to 55%. Again, you have a valid criticism but please do your homework before taking sole aim at just one target whereas there are many.As much as I hate to admit it, HWS colleges do add 40% to your local economy from August-May...ask any business, I did hoping to find some untruth to that fact.

http://www.tax.ny.gov/research/property/reports/exempt/10exrpt.htm

FingerLakes1.com
#1466195 --- 02/17/15 08:13 AM Re: Hobart / Poverty [Re: bluezone]
ruby2 Offline

Formermac, are you trying to say everybody is doing it? It looks like they sure are. But Hobart claims to put in close to a quarter of a billion (Billion) dollars into Geneva's economy. How can such a small population (we, the people of Geneva) absorb all that money without getting very very rich, which we are not. It doesn't make sense. Was that figure offset by expenses city acquires.

This is deep deep, too deep for me. But it doesn't make sense. Do we know what those other Gamers claim they contribute? Cornell for instance, the Hospital. What a racket. If they're all bringing in the same for us, why we must be getting close to $2 Billion in benefits! But we're not, or very little is trickling down.

#1466198 --- 02/17/15 08:33 AM Re: Hobart / Poverty [Re: ruby2]
Formermac Offline

What I am saying, how can any entity sustain itself when the very policies, in this case property taxes but now becomes an exemption due to the hopeful advantages that seldom materialize.Other entity being exempt are regulated by State and Federal laws. Hobart has taken unfair advantage of this law by buying up previously privately owned property but so has other entities. Two of the nicest homes on Maxwell Ave. a few years back were owned by a local church & the experimental station....tax exempt. A remedy may call for State and Federal exemption rules to be change because of the damages being realized not just for Geneva but all across the country.

http://www.osc.state.ny.us/localgov/pubs/research/propertytax_exemptions.pdf

#1466199 --- 02/17/15 08:39 AM Re: Hobart / Poverty [Re: Formermac]
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Formermac
.As much as I hate to admit it, HWS colleges do add 40% to your local economy from August-May

and how much does HWS take out of the local economy?
one property HWS has off the tax rolls has an assessment of nearly $5 million
care to tell us how much the taxes would be on that one property?
that is only one property out of the 200+ acres they have off the tax rolls

#1466202 --- 02/17/15 08:45 AM Re: Hobart / Poverty [Re: cwjga]
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

DO you know that property taxes are not paid on that house? Good question for the city. I would guess that the house is part of his salary and would be taxed as it is used for personal use. Or at least a part of it.

Then the city is missing out. a private individual is using that house, property taxes as such should be paid. Even cassella pays property taxes to the local school district, in the form of an agreed to payment. Because it is a private company using public property.

charge him a room tax

#1466204 --- 02/17/15 08:54 AM Re: Hobart / Poverty [Re: bluezone]
Formermac Offline

Originally Posted By: bluezone
.As much as I hate to admit it, HWS colleges do add 40% to your local economy from August-May

and how much does HWS take out of the local economy?
one property HWS has off the tax rolls has an assessment of nearly $5 million
care to tell us how much the taxes would be on that one property?
that is only one property out of the 200+ acres they have off the tax rolls

Good question Blue, I did my homework and did some research in regard to the advantages and disadvantages, thus my reservation at total criticism. Maybe you'll benefit by taking the stance of getting your ducks in a row and research, outlandish nonsense don't make things so because you conceive it in your mentality.

#1466207 --- 02/17/15 09:12 AM Re: Hobart / Poverty [Re: Formermac]
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

As much as I hate to admit it, HWS colleges do add 40% to your local economy from August-May

and what is the dollar amount?

#1466210 --- 02/17/15 09:25 AM Re: Hobart / Poverty [Re: bluezone]
ruby2 Offline

Beware those who follow the law (Hobart etc) , but lack a moral sense of right and wrong. These men (usually) sit in the front row at church. They see the injustice of their greed, but they follow the law as long as it favors them.

#1466213 --- 02/17/15 09:28 AM Re: Hobart / Poverty [Re: bluezone]
Formermac Offline

I see that we are as usual getting into this nonsensical rhetoric which I am not going to engage my self in being that you have the same resources and hopefully intellect to research for yourself but we all know that research has the tendency to dispel misconceptions, lies, falsehood and half truths. Now heres a list of people I've talked to when I lived in Geneva.

Coles Muffler
Geneva Foreign and Sports
Every Gas Sation
Frank Wheeler Auto Repair
Mom burger Deli
Daves Auto
Nonna's Restaurant
Ramada Hotel
Hampton Hotel
Wegmans
Tops
Walmart
BJs
JMarsh Auto
Kost Tires
Denny's
Ling Lings Restaurant
Geneva on The lake
Belhurst Castle
Eddy Obriane
Marks Pizza
Uncle Joes
Club 86
Red Dove
Belhurst Castle

I can emphatically state that I've talked at some time or other over the years as to how much business comes from college students and their parents. Now it's up to you to become somewhat nosy in ascertaining any of these establishments personal revenue. wink

#1466216 --- 02/17/15 09:52 AM Re: Hobart / Poverty [Re: Formermac]
Formermac Offline

I'm told that Geneva's population is around 13,000 local residents.
This link states that HWS colleges adds a sizable amount of people to the mix. Do we assume that these people buy & rent locally along with the locals?

https://www.cappex.com/colleges/Hobart-William-Smith-Colleges

#1466223 --- 02/17/15 10:20 AM Re: Hobart / Poverty [Re: Formermac]
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

Now heres a list of people I've talked to when I lived in Geneva.

Coles Muffler
Geneva Foreign and Sports
Every Gas Sation
Frank Wheeler Auto Repair
Mom burger Deli
Daves Auto
Nonna's Restaurant
Ramada Hotel
Hampton Hotel
Wegmans
Tops
Walmart
BJs
JMarsh Auto
Kost Tires
Denny's
Ling Lings Restaurant
Geneva on The lake
Belhurst Castle
Eddy Obriane
Marks Pizza
Uncle Joes
Club 86
Red Dove
Belhurst Castle

that does not look like a list of people

we just need the dollar amount of 40% more money into the local economy as you stated in your pior post

#1466224 --- 02/17/15 10:21 AM Re: Hobart / Poverty [Re: bluezone]
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

As much as I hate to admit it, HWS colleges do add 40% to your local economy from August-May

#1466226 --- 02/17/15 10:26 AM Re: Hobart / Poverty [Re: bluezone]
Formermac Offline

I'll repeat what I've stated in the 401K topic to you.

Am I assuming your lack of education? yeah! because the intellect and mannerism defies any standards garnered by most educated individuals. No disrespect, I see little in regard to you acting like an adult.

#1466227 --- 02/17/15 10:28 AM Re: Hobart / Poverty [Re: bluezone]
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

you have to take the number that you say they add to the local economy then subtract the amount that they extract from the local economy and that is the true amount

see 55% poverty in geneva

#1466228 --- 02/17/15 10:30 AM Re: Hobart / Poverty [Re: bluezone]
Formermac Offline

you have to take the number that you say they add to the local economy then subtract the amount that they extract from the local economy and that is the true amount

see 55% poverty in geneva

????????????????

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wisdom

#1466229 --- 02/17/15 10:30 AM Re: Hobart / Poverty [Re: Formermac]
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

I'll repeat what I've stated in the 401K topic to you.

Am I assuming your lack of education? yeah! because the intellect and mannerism defies any standards garnered by most educated individuals. No disrespect, I see little in regard to you acting like an adult.

you stated 40% influx from HWS but you fail to back it up with any numbers

here is a number 55% poverty in geneva

#1466230 --- 02/17/15 10:34 AM Re: Hobart / Poverty [Re: Formermac]
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

and the reason you moved out of geneva...
you stated you moved due to the high taxes

why are there high taxes...

larging in part to the 70% tax exempt like HWS

#1466231 --- 02/17/15 10:37 AM Re: Hobart / Poverty [Re: Formermac]
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

did you speak with the 55% at the poverty level?

#1466233 --- 02/17/15 10:49 AM Re: Hobart / Poverty [Re: bluezone]
Formermac Offline

and the reason you moved out of geneva...
you stated you moved due to the high taxes

why are there high taxes...

larging in part to the 70% tax exempt like HWS

Nope, I sold 3 properties that I owned in Geneva while living in Interlaken NY due to the fact that I built a house in Cranberry PA. after retiring and going wholly as a license electrical business. Now for you edification, I can and will respond to questions when they are asked in a manner sounding more intelligent than a 4 year old in a grocery store begging for candy.

#1466234 --- 02/17/15 10:51 AM Re: Hobart / Poverty [Re: bluezone]
Lucinda Knotts Offline

did you speak with the 55% at the poverty level?
Where did you come up with 55%, BZ?

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >