FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#1466139 --- 02/16/15 08:53 AM Hobart / Poverty
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: USA
it appears that hobart is happy to send a check for $170,000 to the city rather then sending a yearly $1 million check

are they spending $50+ million for the new performance center? whistle

how many millions have they spent to buy properties and take them off the tax rolls?

does the $170,000 check even cover the costs for police to repond to HWS situtations during the year?

Originally Posted By: Libertas
Per the Democrat and Chronicle...

"White Plains residents pay the highest total property taxes per capita among cities in New York, while Binghamton has the highest effective property-tax rate in the state, a review today found.

Albany had the highest effective property-tax rate — which is the total raised through property taxes divided by adjusted full value of property — among large cities at 1.22 percent. Overall among cities, Binghamton led the pack at 2.51 percent, the Empire Center for State Policy found.

Among cities, White Plains residents paid the highest per capita taxes at $1,898, and the Westchester County city also had the highest per capita spending at $3,716.

Rye ranked second in property taxes per capita at $1,500 and Yonkers ranked third at $1,381. They are all in Westchester, which has the highest property taxes in the nation. The city of Rochester ranked eight at $2,675 per capita, the group said.

Geneva, Ontario County, had the highest per capita debt at $3,318.

The group calculated the rates through its Benchmarking New York online tool.

“New Yorkers are paying some of the highest property taxes in the country, and Benchmarking New York is a powerful tool that lets them see exactly how their taxes compare to those in other communities,” said Tim Hoefer, executive director of the conservative, Albany-based group.

It found that Lewis County in northern New York had the highest expenditure among counties in New York, at $4,659 per capita. Westchester ranked fourth at $2,670, while Broome County ranked fifth at $2,655.

The small Adirondacks town of Newcomb had the highest expenditure and taxes per capita among New York towns. Among villages, the Fire Island village of Saltaire had the highest expenditures and taxes per capita — a whopping $58,566 per home owner, which totals about 37 year-round residents."

Originally Posted By: tag2
If you read the "Panther Pride" which was delivered this week I hope you read the article on page 11. I knew that we have a lot of folks who are struggling financially but... Over 55% of the elementary students are eligible for SNAP or Medicaid. The Geneva elementary schools were selected to participate in Community Eligibility Program through June 2018. This means that ALL of the students at West Street and North Street schools are able to eat breakfast and lunch at no cost. It is a federally funded program. While I am happy that these students will no longer face a day without or with very little food I am appalled that in our community there are so many people (including the little ones) who need this help.

does canandaigua have 55% on snap / medicaid?

FingerLakes1.com
#1466140 --- 02/16/15 08:58 AM Re: Hobart / Poverty [Re: bluezone]
cwjga Offline

Loc: NY
Originally Posted By: bluezone
it appears that hobart is happy to send a check for $170,000 to the city rather then sending a yearly $1 million check

are they spending $50+ million for the new performance center? whistle

how many millions have they spent to buy properties and take them off the tax rolls?

does the $170,000 check even cover the costs for police to repond HWS situtations during the year?

Originally Posted By: Libertas
Per the Democrat and Chronicle...

"White Plains residents pay the highest total property taxes per capita among cities in New York, while Binghamton has the highest effective property-tax rate in the state, a review today found.

Albany had the highest effective property-tax rate — which is the total raised through property taxes divided by adjusted full value of property — among large cities at 1.22 percent. Overall among cities, Binghamton led the pack at 2.51 percent, the Empire Center for State Policy found.

Among cities, White Plains residents paid the highest per capita taxes at $1,898, and the Westchester County city also had the highest per capita spending at $3,716.

Rye ranked second in property taxes per capita at $1,500 and Yonkers ranked third at $1,381. They are all in Westchester, which has the highest property taxes in the nation. The city of Rochester ranked eight at $2,675 per capita, the group said.

Geneva, Ontario County, had the highest per capita debt at $3,318.

The group calculated the rates through its Benchmarking New York online tool.

“New Yorkers are paying some of the highest property taxes in the country, and Benchmarking New York is a powerful tool that lets them see exactly how their taxes compare to those in other communities,” said Tim Hoefer, executive director of the conservative, Albany-based group.

It found that Lewis County in northern New York had the highest expenditure among counties in New York, at $4,659 per capita. Westchester ranked fourth at $2,670, while Broome County ranked fifth at $2,655.

The small Adirondacks town of Newcomb had the highest expenditure and taxes per capita among New York towns. Among villages, the Fire Island village of Saltaire had the highest expenditures and taxes per capita — a whopping $58,566 per home owner, which totals about 37 year-round residents."

Originally Posted By: tag2
If you read the "Panther Pride" which was delivered this week I hope you read the article on page 11. I knew that we have a lot of folks who are struggling financially but... Over 55% of the elementary students are eligible for SNAP or Medicaid. The Geneva elementary schools were selected to participate in Community Eligibility Program through June 2018. This means that ALL of the students at West Street and North Street schools are able to eat breakfast and lunch at no cost. It is a federally funded program. While I am happy that these students will no longer face a day without or with very little food I am appalled that in our community there are so many people (including the little ones) who need this help.

does canandaigua have 55% on snap or medicaid?

And yet Hobart contributes $244 million to the local economy. Don't blame Hobart for mismanagement in City government. Maybe if the City got it's act together more of the Profs would live in Geneva and even more money would flow in.

#1466141 --- 02/16/15 09:00 AM Re: Hobart / Poverty [Re: cwjga]
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

Originally Posted By: cwjga
Don't blame Hobart for mismanagement in City government.

does HWS have 200+ acres off the tax rolls?

#1466142 --- 02/16/15 09:02 AM Re: Hobart / Poverty [Re: cwjga]
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

And yet Hobart contributes $244 million to the local economy.

do you have a break down of where in geneva that money went?

#1466149 --- 02/16/15 09:25 AM Re: Hobart / Poverty [Re: cwjga]
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

and yet HWS was willing to take the city of geneva to court over the benefits assessment district where HWS/non-profits would have to pay $1 million per year

why would HWS 'contribute' $244 million but fight the city over a much smaller amount of $1 million?

1 / 244 = 0.004

#1466153 --- 02/16/15 09:54 AM Re: Hobart / Poverty [Re: cwjga]
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

if that were true the streets would be paved in gold, there would be no city taxes and all the city children would be feed

whistle

#1466157 --- 02/16/15 11:09 AM Re: Hobart / Poverty [Re: bluezone]
ruby2 Offline

Good point, bluezone! That's a heck of a lot of money.

#1466158 --- 02/16/15 11:18 AM Re: Hobart / Poverty [Re: ruby2]
Lucinda Knotts Offline

Where does that $244 million "contribution" figure come from? Someone's imagination or is there a paper trail to back it up?

#1466160 --- 02/16/15 11:41 AM Re: Hobart / Poverty [Re: bluezone]
FLaker Offline

Loc: Finger Lakes
It is written in the New York State Constitution that as a nonprofit institutions, the colleges, hospital, experiment station, churches and city school district, among others, do not have to pay real property taxes.

It would be completely irrational for the HWS or hospital boards to vote in favor of voluntarily paying property taxes over funding capital improvements.

Register your complaints with Nozzolio and Kolb if you think it's unjust.

#1466161 --- 02/16/15 12:32 PM Re: Hobart / Poverty [Re: bluezone]
cwjga Offline

Originally Posted By: bluezone

if that were true the streets would be paved in gold, there would be no city taxes and all the city children would be feed

whistle

Study pegs HWS economic impact at $244M

Posted: Sunday, February 15, 2015 2:00 pm
By JIM MILLER jmiller@fltimes.com | 0 comments

GENEVA — Hobart and William Smith Colleges’ economic impact topped $244 million in 2013, a study by the Center for Governmental Research found.
CGR reviewed the impact of independent colleges and universities statewide. Hobart and William Smith touted the results last week as it presented a $169,793 check to the city, part of a 10-year, $1.7 million commitment to help Geneva keep its budget balanced.

“From my point of view, we’re all in this together,” HWS President Mark Gearan said. “Geneva is a great place to live, a great place to work, and it’s a great place for our students to study and learn.”
The CGR study included the Colleges’ spending on labor and construction in its impact figure, along with spending by students and visitors. The latter totaled $21.6 million in 2013.
Meanwhile, the Colleges themselves spent more than $101 million and directly employed 730 people.
“I think it evidences that Hobart and William Smith comes in partnership with the community,” Gearan said. “We are advantaged, certainly, by the opportunities that the city provides us. I’d like to think that people could see in this the significant impacts of Hobart and William Smith. This one is economic — $244 million — and that does not count the number of personnel that volunteer in community services, our partnership, Geneva 2020, which we’re leading with the school system, and hopefully the engagement that all community members have.”
The Colleges have been criticized because of the more than $100 million worth of tax-exempt property they own. However, city officials say their positive impact is pronounced.
“The funds provided by HWS under our agreement represent only a fraction of the total contribution of the Colleges today, and of the commitment they continue to make in fostering economic development and growth in Geneva,” City Manager Matt Horn said in a press release. “The Colleges’ financial impact has been well-documented, and it can be felt in nearly every economic and social aspect of the Geneva community. We are proud to host Hobart and William Smith Colleges, and look forward to many more years of continued partnership.”
The Colleges moved their Office of Advancement downtown in 2012, creating the largest influx of employees in recent history. The Colleges also have moved their communications office to 20 Seneca St. and plan to move some information technology staff downtown too.
Because the Colleges lease space downtown, the property remains on the tax roll.
“Hobart and William Smith have been a great partner for the city of Geneva in many different ways,” John Hicks, director of the Business Improvement District, said in a press release. “For both the city and BID, the Colleges have been great in sharing time and service, collaborating on internships and offering expertise on projects in the community. Local spending by the Colleges, students and employees also has a considerable impact, while the campus infrastructure, including athletic venues and the success of the teams, has drawn people to the city and HWS.”
The Colleges have done their own studies of their economic impact in the past. Gearan sees the CGR report as third-party, independent verification of that work.
“We are proud of our partnership and certainly grateful to Geneva,” he said. “It’s been a wonderful host to the Colleges for nearly two centuries.”

#1466164 --- 02/16/15 01:51 PM Re: Hobart / Poverty [Re: cwjga]
Oogie Offline

Loc: Geneva, NY

[...]
“From my point of view [...] Geneva is a great place to live..."

He can say that again! Although one of the wealthiest individuals living in the city, and residing in what can fairly be called a mansion, Mr. Gearan has never paid so much as a dime in property taxes. Funny how neither he nor HWS ever mention that when patting themselves on the back about "economic impact."

BTW, how's that federal investigation into HWS' inability to properly handle on-campus sexual assaults coming along?

http://www.capitalnewyork.com/article/al...-sexual-assault

#1466165 --- 02/16/15 02:29 PM Re: Hobart / Poverty [Re: Oogie]
cwjga Offline

Originally Posted By: Oogie

[...]

He can say that again! Although one of the wealthiest individuals living in the city, and residing in what can fairly be called a mansion, Mr. Gearan has never paid so much as a dime in property taxes. Funny how neither he nor HWS ever mention that when patting themselves on the back about "economic impact."

BTW, how's that federal investigation into HWS' inability to properly handle on-campus sexual assaults coming along?

DO you know that property taxes are not paid on that house? Good question for the city. I would guess that the house is part of his salary and would be taxed as it is used for personal use. Or at least a part of it.

#1466166 --- 02/16/15 02:32 PM Re: Hobart / Poverty [Re: Oogie]
cwjga Offline

[...]

BTW this is why all jurisdiction should go to a flat income tax and do away with property taxes. Will not happen because liberals don't want to give up all their tax breaks.

#1466170 --- 02/16/15 04:31 PM Re: Hobart / Poverty [Re: cwjga]
Oogie Offline

Loc: Geneva, NY
DO you know that property taxes are not paid on that house? Good question for the city. I would guess that the house is part of his salary and would be taxed as it is used for personal use. Or at least a part of it.

Indeed I do know, and the information is readily available to the public. You can confirm it yourself by visiting the Ontario County Online Resources site (http://oncor.co.ontario.ny.us/oncor/). The site loads very slowly, but if you use the "Search Map" feature you can fairly easily zoom into Geneva to visualize the property upon which sits the mansion (parcel 104.19-2-1.100, also termed "Pulteney/Main/ St. Clair"). After selecting that property, clicking on "Estimated Taxes" at the top of the page reveals that no taxes of any type are paid on that property. Further digging reveals for previous years that taxes have never been paid.

It doesn't matter that Mr. Gearan uses the mansion for personal or partially personal use: he pays no local taxes for his residence, and he never has. Mr. Gearan, the city, and HWS all believe that is perfectly fair. As a person required to pay substantial county/school/city taxes on my property, I believe otherwise.

#1466172 --- 02/16/15 05:13 PM Re: Hobart / Poverty [Re: cwjga]
Lucinda Knotts Offline

So the $244 million "contribution" isn't really a cash payment (like my property taxes) or even something that HWS actually paid to the city. It's a lot of estimates of what students and visitors spend, lumps in the labor costs of improvements to the college, salaries of people employed at the college, etc. By that measure, I should get credit for the home improvements I've made and cost of remodeling, payments to the guy that mows my lawn and clears the snow from my driveway and sidewalk, the $10,000 or so that I spend annually in local stores, gasoline, restaurants, etc. But I don't -- I still have to shell out money for property taxes and school taxes, not to mention exorbitant rates for water. So while HWS officials can smugly pat themselves on the back for the chump change $169,793 presented to the city, I'd like to see some REAL payments in lieu of taxes, somewhere in the neighborhood of $1 million a year if they really want to help the city balance its budget.

#1466174 --- 02/16/15 05:38 PM Re: Hobart / Poverty [Re: Lucinda Knotts]
Formermac Offline

Loc: Above ground
Exactly, this was the major reason I sold all my property in Geneva, absorbent property taxes.

#1466176 --- 02/16/15 07:09 PM Re: Hobart / Poverty [Re: bluezone]
ruby2 Offline

So well put, LK, I couldn't agree more. It's a Hobart Big Steal and it's all done with a smiley face and sincere assurances that it is the best of all possible worlds for the peasants of Geneva. Reminds me of Downton Abbey.

#1466188 --- 02/16/15 10:39 PM Re: Hobart / Poverty [Re: ruby2]
Lucinda Knotts Offline

It should be added to this discussion that other schools have made much more substantial payments to the communities in which they live and thrive, Cornell being just one example. Those who cling to the argument that schools like HWS are exempt from paying property taxes under state law must recognize that those laws were enacted in a totally different time, long before schools like HWS became mega-million dollar business enterprises, and before even small schools like HWS had endowments of more than 100 million dollars (for the record, HWS' endowment in 2013 was reported to be in excess of $175 million, according to New America Foundation )

#1466190 --- 02/17/15 06:10 AM Re: Hobart / Poverty [Re: Oogie]
cwjga Offline

Indeed I do know, and the information is readily available to the public. You can confirm it yourself by visiting the Ontario County Online Resources site (http://oncor.co.ontario.ny.us/oncor/). The site loads very slowly, but if you use the "Search Map" feature you can fairly easily zoom into Geneva to visualize the property upon which sits the mansion (parcel 104.19-2-1.100, also termed "Pulteney/Main/ St. Clair"). After selecting that property, clicking on "Estimated Taxes" at the top of the page reveals that no taxes of any type are paid on that property. Further digging reveals for previous years that taxes have never been paid.

It doesn't matter that Mr. Gearan uses the mansion for personal or partially personal use: he pays no local taxes for his residence, and he never has. Mr. Gearan, the city, and HWS all believe that is perfectly fair. As a person required to pay substantial county/school/city taxes on my property, I believe otherwise.

Then the city is missing out. a private individual is using that house, property taxes as such should be paid. Even cassella pays property taxes to the local school district, in the form of an agreed to payment. Because it is a private company using public property.

Hobart should do no less. But if the city does not go after that, well----

Go to a flat income tax and problem is solved. Well as long as the city is not a sh-t hole that the employees of Hobart don't want to live in.

#1466191 --- 02/17/15 07:18 AM Re: Hobart / Poverty [Re: cwjga]
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

care to explain College of the Senecas?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >