FingerLakes1.com Forums
Topic Options
#1459212 --- 09/16/14 12:46 PM Metal roofing contractor beware
voncelle Offline

BEWARE of this metal roofing contractor because he does not know what he is doing!!!!!! Put a metal roof on my house with a ridge vent. However, he never cut the roof out at the ridge in order for the roof (attic) to vent properly!!! When I showed Chris Yoder, the owner of Shady Creek Construction, that it hadn't been vented right, he said that it wasn't needed and the little seams between the metal standing seam roofing would be enough!!! My gutters had 10” ice dams already from improper ventilation and when I showed him that he just smiled. OMG so then when I looked at my chimney and side boards, the flashing had just been slapped over the 18” cinder block and side boards with the use of silicone as glue. He stated that the silicone was really good stuff!!! Chris Yoder said he would be back the next day to fix all of the flashing. He never showed up and would not answer my calls. Received a bill in the mail that stated he would charge me extra to fix it!!! On top of all that he left wood, nails and roofing material all over my yard and attic. DO NOT HIRE THIS CONTRACTOR TO DO ANY WORK FOR YOU!!!

FingerLakes1.com
#1459220 --- 09/16/14 03:25 PM Re: Metal roofing contractor beware [Re: voncelle]
Mean Gene Offline

Loc: Yates County
Where do you live? I know the Village of PY requires building permits for new roofs. They don't charge for the permits but if you did get a permit it might give you some leverage to get it done properly. Hopefully you didn't pay him before you were satisfied with the job!!

#1459270 --- 09/17/14 07:06 AM Re: Metal roofing contractor beware [Re: voncelle]
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: voncelle
BEWARE of this metal roofing contractor because he does not know what he is doing!!!!!! Put a metal roof on my house with a ridge vent. However, he never cut the roof out at the ridge in order for the roof (attic) to vent properly!!! When I showed Chris Yoder, the owner of Shady Creek Construction, that it hadn't been vented right, he said that it wasn't needed and the little seams between the metal standing seam roofing would be enough!!! My gutters had 10” ice dams already from improper ventilation and when I showed him that he just smiled. OMG so then when I looked at my chimney and side boards, the flashing had just been slapped over the 18” cinder block and side boards with the use of silicone as glue. He stated that the silicone was really good stuff!!! Chris Yoder said he would be back the next day to fix all of the flashing. He never showed up and would not answer my calls. Received a bill in the mail that stated he would charge me extra to fix it!!! On top of all that he left wood, nails and roofing material all over my yard and attic. DO NOT HIRE THIS CONTRACTOR TO DO ANY WORK FOR YOU!!!

take photos/videos
go to small claims court

#1459293 --- 09/17/14 08:49 AM Re: Metal roofing contractor beware [Re: voncelle]
young guns Offline

Loc: USA
Sweet Jesus with an name like that what would you expect?

Ref "Shady Creek Construction," LMBO

#1459469 --- 09/20/14 03:54 PM Re: Metal roofing contractor beware [Re: Mean Gene]
voncelle Offline

Naples and I did have a permit. I only paid him half of what I owed him and only after he cut the ridge out and I inspected that it was done properly. The chimney and side boards can be fixed. Just want to get the word out to perspective consumers.

#1463892 --- 12/11/14 01:53 AM Re: Metal roofing contractor beware [Re: voncelle]
Patrick Berta Offline

Most of the contractor didn't know about the metal roofing basic concepts and they made faults in the roofs designing. So beware of these roofs contractor and only reliance on the experts or the contractor who have a goodwill in the market.

#1464182 --- 12/24/14 01:33 AM Re: Metal roofing contractor beware [Re: voncelle]
Patrick Berta Offline

In the modern world thousands of contractor show them as they have sufficient knowledge of metal roofing but actually they didn't know about the metal roofing basic concepts and they made faults in the roofs designing. So beware of these roofs contractor and only reliance on the experts or the contractor who have a goodwill in the market.

#1464255 --- 12/29/14 01:50 AM Re: Metal roofing contractor beware [Re: voncelle]
Patrick Berta Offline

If anyone find out the fake metal roofing contractor he/she can easily find out. To do this the person should check the past history of the contractor and also goodwill of the company. If there is any problem related to that then person should gave his assignment to other reliable one.

Edited by Patrick Berta (12/29/14 01:52 AM)

#1465085 --- 01/19/15 01:22 AM Re: Metal roofing contractor beware [Re: voncelle]
Patrick Berta Offline

Metal roofing is not just a work which can be done by anyone, it requires a technical knowledge so that no problem occurs in the future. Contractor having such a knowledge are licensed by the government.

#1465308 --- 01/27/15 12:39 AM Re: Metal roofing contractor beware [Re: voncelle]
Patrick Berta Offline

Don't believe in any contractor easily, as many of them are fake. You must inspect the good will of the contractor and then give them the metal roofing work.

Edited by Patrick Berta (01/27/15 12:41 AM)

#1465389 --- 01/28/15 11:14 PM Re: Metal roofing contractor beware [Re: voncelle]
F. Gump Offline

Loc: Podunk
Originally Posted By: voncelle
BEWARE of this metal roofing contractor because he does not know what he is doing! DO NOT HIRE THIS CONTRACTOR TO DO ANY WORK FOR YOU!!!

Thanks for the heads-up.
I called Chris Yoder last fall for an estimate and he finally showed up after three broken appointments. He got out of his truck and looked around the house and said he couldn’t give me an estimate because he “left his ladder home” and therefore could not do any measurements, but would come back later in the week. I pressed him for an estimate “by the square foot” and he quoted a price that was 25% higher than that from a roofing contractor in Trumansburg who does most of his work in Ithaca and is certified by the roofing manufacturer and insured. I will not do business with Shody Creek.

The statement that ventilation is not required is complete BS. Anyone interested in doing a quality roof installation, whether metal or asphalt, can obtained detailed installation instructions from the manufacture’s web site or dealer and I assure you that ventilation is required and silicone is not the way to fasten flashing.

Shody Creek and Four Seasons Roofing advertise heavily in the Pennysaver and Shopper and I believe both are Amish enterprises (I’m positive Shody Creek is; by Yoder's dress and the fact he had a driver). The Amish, at best, are barn builders. They are not residential contractors in the truest sense, i.e., lack technical knowledge, poor workmanship, and customer service. I know of a house that was built be the Amish and the owner had to replace, at his expense, all the windows two years later because they leaked like a sieve. The Amish builder had bought replacement windows from HEP-Builders Bargain Outlet and when the framing “dried-out” gaps opened up between the window and house framing.