FingerLakes1.com Forums
Topic Options
#1464103 --- 12/21/14 09:39 AM Any actual recipes to share?
HeavenlyPlaces Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Someplace Else
Anyone have any recipes to share? This used to be a great place to find great recipes and I, for one, am a bit tired of being lectured to (even if I have some sympathies in that area) instead of enjoying a friendly exchange if recipes and food tips.

So...share a favorite holiday recipe with those of us still reading the forums (even if participating has become too much of a chore to deal with). I have to run to a family party but I'll be back to share a great recipe for the Frittata that I'm bringing to the party.

FingerLakes1.com
#1464112 --- 12/21/14 01:28 PM Re: Any actual recipes to share? [Re: HeavenlyPlaces]
Rich_Miller Offline

Loc: Seneca Falls
I made this to take to Thanksgiving dinner. People seemed to like it. (I got it from Facebook)

No Bake Banana Split Icebox Cake

Ingredients:

8 oz cream cheese, softened
1 cup powdered sugar
1 package (4 servings size) instant vanilla pudding
2 cups milk
4 cups whipped topping (such as Cool Whip), divided
3-4 bananas
graham crackers (approx. 50 crackers)
14 oz can crushed pineapple in juice
chocolate syrup
cherries
chopped nuts (optional)

Directions:

Beat cream cheese on medium until fluffy, add in powdered sugar. Combine vanilla pudding and milk, mix well. Add to cream cheese mixture. Gently fold in 2 cups of whipped topping.
Slice bananas and toss with a little bit of the pineapple juice or lemon juice to keep them from browning. Drain pineapple, squeezing to remove all of the juice.
Line the bottom of a 9×13 pan with graham crackers. Top with half of the cream cheese mixture and the bananas. Add a second layer of graham crackers. Top with remaining cream cheese mixture and pineapple. Add a third and final layer of graham crackers. Top with remaining 2 cups of whipped topping, cherries and nuts. Drizzle with chocolate. Refrigerate overnight.

http://www.spendwithpennies.com/no-bake-banana-split-icebox-cake/

#1464699 --- 01/09/15 11:48 AM Re: Any actual recipes to share? [Re: HeavenlyPlaces]
Red22 Offline

Loc: ny
I recently made a quinoa bake. It was really easy… If you're good at ad-libbing there are a hundred ways you could do this.

In a casserole dish, put in your quinoa(rinsed and uncooked) and water, the ratio that's on the package. Then you can add anything you want. I used cooked turkey sausage, kale, broccoli, onions, garlic, and topped it with some asiago. Veggies were raw when I put them in, came out perfectly cooked.

I used one cup of uncooked quinoa to two cups water.

Bake at 350 for about an hour, or until quinoa is fully cooked.

Tip: I thought I put enough add-ins, but it wasn't enough for my liking. The kale really wilted down, I would probably cook the kale next time, so I could add more. I used one pound of turkey sausage, not really enough for the hungry guy I was feeding. You could always use chicken breast, or ground turkey.

You could stir in cheese to make a southwestern with some roasted corn, beans, and tomatoes.

Mediterranean with olives, feta, and tomatoes would be delicious, as well.

#1464733 --- 01/09/15 08:27 PM Re: Any actual recipes to share? [Re: HeavenlyPlaces]
young guns Offline

Loc: USA
Please you are making me hungry. Guess I'll try it out Sunday
when we have our family meeting.

Thanks again for the share

#1464741 --- 01/10/15 06:07 AM Re: Any actual recipes to share? [Re: HeavenlyPlaces]
HeavenlyPlaces Offline
Diamond Member

I've been making frittata a lot lately and not really using much of a recipe but here are the basics that I usually start with. Feel free to add in your own extras or favorites and change up the flavors. Frittata, like omelets, are very versatile. Oh, and like omelets, they work best in a non-stick or extremely well seasoned cast iron pan. The recipe makes enough for 8 appetizer (maybe 12 if you're slicing very thin wedges) or 4-6 lunch sized servings.

8 whole eggs
1/2 cup egg whites (or about 3-4)
1/2 cup ricotta cheese (I use non-fat but really good quality brand called Calabro)
Salt and white pepper to taste
herbs you like...I really like basil or even just a couple of tbs of pesto

Add-ins:

mushrooms, thinly sliced
kale or broccoli or spinach, cooked and finely chopped
roasted red peppers (they look so pretty!)thinly sliced

Pre heat your oven to 325. Heat your pan and add some butter (clarified butter or ghee if you have it...it doesn't burn as quickly as regular butter). If your add-ins aren't already cooked now is the time to add them to the pan and get them cooking down while you...

Beat the eggs and whites together until well blended then add the cheese and seasonings and stir well.

If you are using left overs as add-ins add them to the hot pan now to warm them then add the egg mixture. Stir with a wooden spoon or a spatula while the egg cooks just as you would for an omelet or scrambled eggs. When the eggs are firming but still quite wet, stop stirring and place your pan in the oven. Cook for another 10 to 15 mins. or until fully set. Shake the pan to loosen the frittata so that it slides easily out of the pan onto a cooling rack. Allow it to cool at least slightly then either serve right away, cut into wedges, or cool completely, wrap, and place in the fridge. This is wonderful served either hot or cold or room temperature.

#1464762 --- 01/10/15 02:06 PM Re: Any actual recipes to share? [Re: HeavenlyPlaces]
young guns Offline

Sounds great

#1464792 --- 01/11/15 02:53 PM Re: Any actual recipes to share? [Re: HeavenlyPlaces]
BrumWife Offline

Loc: Geneva
I've got a sour cream pound cake in the oven right now. My mom's recipe. Of course it's not for the faint of heart with 2 sticks of butter and all that sugar and eggs but oh so yummy.

Ingredients
1 cup butter, softened
3 cups sugar
6 eggs
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Confectioners' sugar, optional

Directions

In a bowl, cream butter. Gradually beat in sugar until light and fluffy, about 5-7 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine flour, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream and vanilla. Beat on low just until blended. Pour into a greased and floured 10-in. tube pan. Bake at 325° for 1 hour and 25 minutes or until cake tests done. Cool in pan 15 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar if desired. Yield: 20 servings.

#1464884 --- 01/13/15 09:15 PM Re: Any actual recipes to share? [Re: HeavenlyPlaces]
HeavenlyPlaces Offline
Diamond Member

That looks amazing! Bet a slice of that toasted with a puddle of strawberries and a dollop of whipped cream ....mmmmmmmmmmm just the thought made me gain 10 lbs!

#1476491 --- 10/07/15 11:36 AM Re: Any actual recipes to share? [Re: HeavenlyPlaces]
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

homemade yogurt

Originally Posted By: HeavenlyPlaces
This is the way my mother always made it (and her mother before her and her mother and...well, you get the picture)

Slowly bring 1 gallon of milk, to which you've added 1/2 cup of powdered milk, to a bare simmer (for the creamiest yogurt use whole milk, remove 1 cup from the gallon and replace with 1 cup of cream. You can also use 2% or 1% but if you're going to all this trouble...well, make the real thing!) When it comes to the simmer turn off the heat.

Cool the milk until you can hold your pinky in it for a count of 10 (don't ask what temp this is...it's just the way I learned how to do it!) When cooled ladle 1/2 cup slowly into a cup of cultured plain yogurt (no fruit! and it MUST have live cultures). After tempering add the mixture to the milk and stir. Cover with a tight fitting lid and wrap with a warm towel. Set in a warm place...I usually preheat my oven to warm and turn it off...for at least 8 hours. It's best to let it sit for 24 hours.

The yogurt will be creamy and sharp at the same time. I usually take about 1/2 of the batch and strain it through multiple layers of cheese cloth to make Labneh or yogurt cheese. DELICIOUS.

One caution, though, I've found that the yogurt can be temperamental in humid weather. I just don't bother.

#1476492 --- 10/07/15 12:13 PM Re: Any actual recipes to share? [Re: HeavenlyPlaces]
secure white guy Offline

Loc: blue yoga mat

Here's a hearty warm snug for our chilly Autumn evenings. My crock pot worked perfectly for a slow-cooked version. En-joy!

Wendy’s Copycat Chili
MAKES 16 Cups | ACTIVE TIME 15 Min | TOTAL TIME 30 Min

2 pounds 93% lean ground beef
2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
4 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
2 (15.25 ounce) cans pinto beans, rinsed and drained
2 (15.25 ounce) cans kidney beans, rinsed and drained
2 (14.5 ounce) cans fire roasted diced tomatoes with garlic
1 (7 ounce) can roasted green chiles, diced and peeled
2 teaspoons onion powder
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 tablespoons New Mexico chili powder
1 tablespoon smoked paprika
pinch – 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 cup water

In a large 12 quart heavy bottom pot over medium high heat add ground beef, 1 teaspoon salt and pepper. Cook until browned, drain drippings if necessary. Add remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce to simmer.
Simmer for 15 minutes and serve!

Cook’s Notes: Add more or less red pepper flakes to adjust to desired spiciness. If you don’t like anything spicier than Big Red Gum, add a pinch. If you like 4 alarm chili add more. wink

#1476606 --- 10/10/15 12:51 PM Re: Any actual recipes to share? [Re: secure white guy]
Oldgzr Offline

Loc: NY
This is a soup recipe that I got from a friend recently. With the butter, cream and cheese its not exactly diet food but it is delicious.

Buffalo Chicken Soup

1/2 cup butter
1 small onion, diced
3 stalks of celery, diced
1/4 cup of flour
2 cups of cooked, diced chicken breasts
1 3/4 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
3 cups of chicken broth
2 1/2 cups of heavy cream
1/4 cup Frank's Hot Sauce (or more) You can experiment with the amount of hot sauce until you find the right amount for you. Better to start with less and add more after finished to satisfy each persons individual taste.

Method :
Melt butter in heavy sauce pan over medium heat, add onion & celery. Cook until veggies are tender, add flour and stir until it is absorbed. Add broth and cream. Stir so no lumps are there. Add chicken, cheese, and hot sauce, stirring until cheese is melted.

You may add salt and pepper to taste.

Note; I add more hot sauce and I prefer Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese. You can use milk instead of cream if you choose.

#1476630 --- 10/11/15 08:49 PM Re: Any actual recipes to share? [Re: Oldgzr]
HeavenlyPlaces Offline
Diamond Member

Thank you for this recipe. I was just in a grocery store today (in the mountains of Pennsylvania) and they were featuring a soup like this...it smelled amazing!...I was just trying to figure out how I'd go about making it. Nice to have a recipe to bounce off of. Looks yummy!

#1476676 --- 10/13/15 12:55 AM Re: Any actual recipes to share? [Re: HeavenlyPlaces]
Oldgzr Offline

Loc: NY
You are welcome. After you make it, please let me know how you like it. Now that I am thinking about that soup again I'm hungry for it and will be making it again soon.

#1480953 --- 01/23/16 01:08 PM Re: Any actual recipes to share? [Re: Oldgzr]
SilverFox Offline

Loc: Waterloo
GRANDMA'S RICE PUDDING

3/4 cup uncooked white rice ...
2 cups milk, divided
1/3 cup white sugar ...
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 egg, beaten
2/3 cup raisins
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions:
1 - Bring 1 1/2 cups water to a boil in a saucepan; stir rice into boiling water. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.
2 - In a clean saucepan, combine 1 1/2 cups cooked rice, 1 1/2 cups milk, sugar and salt. Cook over medium heat until thick and creamy, 15 to 20 minutes. Stir in remaining 1/2 cup milk, beaten egg, and raisins; cook 2 minutes more, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in butter and vanilla.
SERVES 4

#1480954 --- 01/23/16 01:09 PM Re: Any actual recipes to share? [Re: Oldgzr]
SilverFox Offline

Loc: Waterloo
Healthy Cookies

3 Mashed Bananas (ripe)
1/3 c Applesauce
2 c oats
1/4 c Almond Milk...
1/2 c Raisans or dark chocolate chips
1 tsp Vanilla
1 tsp Cinnamon
Preheat oven to 350. Bake for 15-20 minutes! Yummy!

#1503419 --- 08/15/17 03:33 PM Re: Any actual recipes to share? [Re: HeavenlyPlaces]
Get Real Offline

Loc: Seneca Falls, NY
I found this on Facebook, tried it the other night very good

Garlic Steak and Potato Foil Packs

Prep time
10 mins
Cook time
20 mins
Total time
30 mins

Ingredients
2-2½ pounds top sirloin steak, trimmed of fat and cut into 2½-inch pieces (see note)
1 pound baby yellow potatoes. quartered (or halved if they are already less than 1 inch in size, see note)
3 tablespoons olive oil
salt and pepper, to taste (I use about 1 teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon black pepper)
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried parsley
1 teaspoon dried thyme
fresh thyme or parsley for topping (optional)

Instructions

In a large bowl combine steak, potatoes, olive oil, salt and pepper, garlic, and seasonings and toss to combine.

Divide steak and potatoes between four 12x12 inch sheets of foil, then wrap the foil tightly around the contents to form your foil packs.

Grill over high heat for about 10 minutes on each side or until steak and potatoes are cooked through OR bake at 425 degrees for about 20-25 minutes until cooked through to desired doneness

**If you prefer a char on your steak, you can open up the packets at the end and cook for a couple minutes directly on the grill, or for baking you can switch oven to broil for a few minutes (with packets opened).
Garnish with fresh thyme or parsley and serve immediately.