FingerLakes1.com Forums
Topic Options
#1462280 --- 10/27/14 07:13 PM 8 year old fined for touchdown
newsman38 Offline

Loc: Fourth Estate
How an 8-year-old's first touchdown resulted in a $500 fine, coach suspension

Elijah Burrell did what he was taught to do if he intercepted the football -- score a touchdown. But the 8-year-old's pick-six play wasn't much to celebrate after the team was fined $500 for violating the Gwinnett Football League's mercy rule...

the Lawrenceville Black Knights were winning against their opponents, 32-0, in the fourth quarter. Burrell then intercepted a pass and went through with the touchdown, failing to comply with the league's mercy rule.

That six-point score caused the Georgia-based team to surpass the 33-point rule, which earned the coach a week-long suspension and the team a $500 fine.

Post Standard, Syracuse NY ^ | October 26, 2014 at 11:02 AM | By Allie Healy

FingerLakes1.com
#1462294 --- 10/27/14 09:36 PM Re: 8 year old fined for touchdown [Re: newsman38]
Josephus Offline
Silver Member

Loc: NYS
So, let me understand this. You're allowed to win, but by only so much so that you don't embarrass your opponent? I though the object in football (as in every other sport I can think of) is to win? Psychiatrist have even gone so far as to compare athletics to war in a non-lethal form.

Is this Japanese baseball, where it is bad manners to embarrass your opponent? I think the whole things smells of being PC.

#1463029 --- 11/13/14 10:09 PM Re: 8 year old fined for touchdown [Re: Josephus]
smartposter Offline

Loc: New York
That is where you are wrong, sorry. The whole thing smells of being STUPID. You were way too lenient. Let's change all the rules for kids so that they never ever experience being said no to, or any other negative experience. Let's just shine it in their face when they experience it in the adult world and have no experience to fall back on to handle that situation.

#1463746 --- 12/05/14 06:09 AM Re: 8 year old fined for touchdown [Re: smartposter]
RigaMortis Offline

Loc: Seneca Falls
Originally Posted By: smartposter
That is where you are wrong, sorry. The whole thing smells of being STUPID. You were way too lenient. Let's change all the rules for kids so that they never ever experience being said no to, or any other negative experience. Let's just shine it in their face when they experience it in the adult world and have no experience to fall back on to handle that situation.

Absolutely, kids are too protected from minuscule things such as losing a game these days. I wrestled my whole life and you either won or lost, even as a youth. When these kids grow older and lose, they will more likely not continue playing because of their fear for failure.