FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 3 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 11 12 >
Topic Options
#1463995 --- 12/17/14 07:27 AM Re: Chicken coop/solar farm. [Re: Grace44]
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Grace44
As a city property owner and taxpayer, I resent this whole debacle (and I don't live near the "chicken area".

would you like a chicken coop near you?
has the 100 foot buffer zone been met?

FingerLakes1.com
#1464502 --- 01/06/15 08:17 AM Re: Chicken coop/solar farm. [Re: SocratesJr]
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

Originally Posted By: SocratesJr

With the co-op, a nicely groomed space...

if pigs were raised in that area instead of chickens would you be supportive of a 'pig' farm in the city?

#1464510 --- 01/06/15 09:46 AM Re: Chicken coop/solar farm. [Re: bluezone]
Lucinda Knotts Offline

Originally Posted By: bluezone
Originally Posted By: SocratesJr

With the co-op, a nicely groomed space...
if pigs were raised in that area instead of chickens would you be supportive of a 'pig' farm in the city?

Oh for Pete's sake, BZ! Why must you always push things toward a ridiculous extreme. Chickens may not be objectionable, so why not ask about pigs? Or cows? How about elephants? Yeah, that's the ticket! A few piles of elephant dung should convince anyone that a chicken coop is objectionable. Can we please just stick to the facts of the matter and not inject issues that don't exist?

#1464512 --- 01/06/15 09:53 AM Re: Chicken coop/solar farm. [Re: Lucinda Knotts]
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

if the city allows chickens then would they be required to allow pigs also?

#1464513 --- 01/06/15 09:57 AM Re: Chicken coop/solar farm. [Re: bluezone]
Lucinda Knotts Offline

Or cows? Buffalo? Kangaroos? Give it a rest -- the issue here is a small chicken coop.

#1464515 --- 01/06/15 10:24 AM Re: Chicken coop/solar farm. [Re: Lucinda Knotts]
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

Originally Posted By: Lucinda Knotts
Or cows? Buffalo? Kangaroos? Give it a rest -- the issue here is a small chicken coop.

#1464516 --- 01/06/15 10:29 AM Re: Chicken coop/solar farm. [Re: Lucinda Knotts]
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

the issue here is a small chicken coop.

if your neighbor wanted 2 pigs and they would roam along your property line would you be acceptable to that?

#1464517 --- 01/06/15 10:31 AM Re: Chicken coop/solar farm. [Re: Lucinda Knotts]
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

the issue here is a small chicken coop.

does it meet the 100 foot buffer?

#1464518 --- 01/06/15 10:49 AM Re: Chicken coop/solar farm. [Re: Lucinda Knotts]
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

Or cows? Buffalo? Kangaroos?

and why are cows, buffalo, kangaroos not allowed inside the city limits?

#1464525 --- 01/06/15 12:50 PM Re: Chicken coop/solar farm. [Re: bluezone]
Lucinda Knotts Offline

#1464526 --- 01/06/15 02:24 PM Re: Chicken coop/solar farm. [Re: loyal]
Lucinda Knotts Offline

While you continue to ponder the question, BZ, I thought I remembered something in the city code about animals while doing some research a few years ago.

It seems that city code prohibits keeping of chickens, ducks, geese or other domesticated fowl in the city except in the AR, Agricultural Residential Use Districts and F Industrial Use Districts and not closer than 200 feet to any house, except the owner's, apartment building, church, school, hospital or any other building customarily used or occupied by human beings, such as but not limited to stores, hotels, restaurants, offices and factories.

Cows are also allowed in the AR Agricultural District if maintained not closer than 100 feet to any house except the owner's, apartment building, church, school, hospital or any other building customarily used or occupied by human beings, such as but not limited to stores, hotels, restaurants, offices and factories. (Gee, I wonder why cows get to come 100 feet closer to human occupied buildings than chickens and ducks)

Pigs, it turns out, are strictly prohibited as are bees and goats.

The code says nothing about buffalo, kangaroos or elephants, so I suppose you could try for a test case, BZ.

#1464536 --- 01/06/15 06:05 PM Re: Chicken coop/solar farm. [Re: loyal]
mackey Offline

Loc: geneva
What I have seen the small chicken coop, is no longer a small coop it looks like a 15'x20' manson. I wonder when then bigger chicken coop was approved? Where is code enforcement? Will if the city does not care I do not either, screw it everyone should have chickens throughout the city.

#1464544 --- 01/07/15 07:00 AM Re: Chicken coop/solar farm. [Re: Lucinda Knotts]
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

It seems that city code prohibits keeping of chickens, ducks, geese or other domesticated fowl in the city except in the AR, Agricultural Residential Use Districts and F Industrial Use Districts and not closer than 200 feet to any house, except the owner's, apartment building, church, school, hospital or any other building customarily used or occupied by human beings, such as but not limited to stores, hotels, restaurants, offices and factories.

would you like to explain why the project does not meet the 100 foot buffer?

#1464546 --- 01/07/15 07:07 AM Re: Chicken coop/solar farm. [Re: Lucinda Knotts]
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

Cows are also allowed in the AR Agricultural District if maintained not closer than 100 feet to any house except the owner's, apartment building, church, school, hospital or any other building customarily used or occupied by human beings, such as but not limited to stores, hotels, restaurants, offices and factories. (Gee, I wonder why cows get to come 100 feet closer to human occupied buildings than chickens and ducks)

and how many AR districts are inside the city limits?

#1464554 --- 01/07/15 07:59 AM Re: Chicken coop/solar farm. [Re: bluezone]
Lucinda Knotts Offline

And how many Blowzones does it take to divert a discussion into irrelevant nonsense?

#1464592 --- 01/08/15 06:48 AM Re: Chicken coop/solar farm. [Re: Lucinda Knotts]
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

it appears it is the cities position that the chickens require a 100 foot buffer
there is not a 100 foot buffer

are you keeping the chickens warm in this extreme cold?

#1464600 --- 01/08/15 08:12 AM Re: Chicken coop/solar farm. [Re: bluezone]
Lucinda Knotts Offline

Am I keeping the chickens warm? I don't have anything to do with the coop or the group that maintains it, but I would imagine that there is a heater in the coop. In addition, birds generally ruffle their feathers when cold to help maintain their body heat. They also do that when agitated or in a fight mode. My question is why are you getting your feathers all ruffled over this, BZ?

#1464607 --- 01/08/15 10:33 AM Re: Chicken coop/solar farm. [Re: Lucinda Knotts]
Teonan Offline

Loc: West End

While raising chickens within urban environments has become an acceptable, and growing practice in numerous U.S. cities BZ prefers to henpeck the issue.

#1464651 --- 01/09/15 07:48 AM Re: Chicken coop/solar farm. [Re: Lucinda Knotts]
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

I would imagine that there is a heater in the coop.

and if there is not a heater would that be animal cruelty?

#1464662 --- 01/09/15 08:32 AM Re: Chicken coop/solar farm. [Re: bluezone]
Lucinda Knotts Offline

and if there is not a heater would that be animal cruelty?
Instead of asking "IF" for everything, perhaps you should determine the facts first, BZ. I don't know, and perhaps no one reading these posts knows, whether there is a heater in the chicken coop. (I do know that chickens can regulate their body temperature somewhat, and that heat can often be more of a problem for them than cold.) Before continuing with your chicken advocacy, you might want to ask the chickens to see if they believe they're being mistreated. Keep us posted on what they tell you.

Page 3 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 11 12 >