FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 ... 11 12 >
Topic Options
#1457758 --- 08/22/14 11:48 AM Chicken coop/solar farm.
loyal Offline

Loc: NY
It appears that city council, manager, attorney, code office are a little red faced since one of their own is not happy they got their way. Go Jeff.

FingerLakes1.com
#1457794 --- 08/23/14 06:37 AM Re: Chicken coop/solar farm. [Re: loyal]
HeavenlyPlaces Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Someplace Else
What?

#1458007 --- 08/27/14 05:10 PM Re: Chicken coop/solar farm. [Re: loyal]
pingu Offline

Loc: Right here.
I guess the cluck didn't stop there?

#1458533 --- 09/05/14 05:25 PM Re: Chicken coop/solar farm. [Re: loyal]
genevaparent Offline

Loc: Geneva NY
Checked it out. The site looks great. I want to help.

#1458561 --- 09/05/14 10:34 PM Re: Chicken coop/solar farm. [Re: loyal]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Ship of Fools
Thanks for the heads up! I didn't know a thing about this before you brought it up. I still don't, Captain Cryptic.

#1458616 --- 09/06/14 01:00 PM Re: Chicken coop/solar farm. [Re: loyal]
BrumWife Offline

Loc: Geneva
Posted: Thursday, September 4, 2014 2:00 pm

By DAVID L. SHAW dshaw@fltimes.com | 0 comments

GENEVA — City Council got an earful Wednesday from a frustrated Jeff Henderson.

Henderson, director of the annual Musselman Triathlon in Geneva each summer, received unanimous city Planning Board approval July 21 for a chicken cooperative and a solar panel array on industrially-zoned property he owns at 50 State St.

However, after several neighbors complained at the August Council meeting about the presence of hens, Henderson was advised by letter Aug. 20 to put the brakes on the project.

City Planning and Zoning Coordinator Neal Braman said a closer review of the city zoning code as it was applied by the Planning Board to Henderson’s project revealed a possible oversight.

Braman said a variance appears to be needed from the required 100-foot buffer from the property line of an adjacent property as outlined in the zoning code. He added the Planning Board failed to consider this chapter as it pertains to industrial uses.

Henderson replied in an Aug. 21 letter that he was given the Planning Board’s approval, and he has no intention of stopping, noting that there are 23 egg-laying hens already on the site.

The Zoning Board of Appeals has not scheduled a meeting to discuss a possible variance. It was suggested that the issue may be resolved without ZBA involvement, but that hasn’t happened yet.

During public comment, Henderson said he proposed a chicken cooperative project two years ago for South Exchange Street.

“Council decided that was not an appropriate place and encouraged me to find another location in an area zoned for raising chickens,” Henderson said. “I found a spot on State Street zoned industrial where a chicken cooperative is allowed. I bought it and with the help of volunteers, it was cleaned up.”

He said he proposed a new project but is still getting resistance from some Council members.

“It’s not a city code issue. It’s not an ordinance issue. This is a permitted use in an industrial zone. It’s all been vetted, discussed and approved,” Henderson said. “I’m tired of discussing this and I’m sure you’re tired of me bringing it before you. But a small group opposes it and some Council members, the mayor and city attorney oppose it. Six residents opposed it and I have many more supporters.

“Some just don’t want to see this project happen,” he said.

Henderson said if the project is somehow derailed by the city, several things will end. He listed them as:

• A rainwater containment system on the property sponsored by the Finger Lakes Institute.

• The return of two parcels of land to the tax rolls after more than 20 years off the rolls. “In this economy, the city needs all possible properties on the tax rolls,” he noted.

• The rehabilitation of a blighted part of the city, with the cleanup of a mess of vegetation that served as a dump for years. He noted the large amount of junk taken off the property, including drug paraphernalia.

• The end of a chance to determine if chickens can survive on the land, noting there has been no smells, no wild animals, no lice and no rabies. He said no one would know the hens are there unless they looked hard.

• It ends 50 kilowatts of solar energy, enough to power a dozen homes and businesses in a self-sufficient way. He said the solar panels are not hooked to the grid and the site is not even hooked to city water.

• The involvement of families and children who planned to be involved in the cooperative to learn responsibility, the care of chickens and to share the eggs produced.

• The end of an educational opportunity for 18 families already involved.

“I urge you to keep your word of two years ago. Let this project succeed or fail on its own merits,” he concluded.

Another speaker, Jay Coleman, said he visited the State Street site and agreed with Henderson’s description of the project.

“It looks good. It’s a big improvement, not an eyesore anymore. And it would be on the tax rolls, which is good,” Coleman said.

Ryan Wallace, co-owner of QwikSolar, the local company that would install the solar panels, voiced support for Henderson.

“The city is heading in the right direction, and there are individuals working hard to improve the city with innovative ideas. I urge you to embrace and support them,” Wallace said. “They are a big part of the rebound of the city. It’s why I came here with my business from Florida.”

Later, 4th Ward Councilor Ken Camera questioned why Council would get involved with the Henderson project.

“Why is it being brought up by some Councilors? The people who oppose it should go through the legal process and file an Article 78,” Camera said.

He said the project received Planning Board approval, and if litigation is filed, the city should defend itself.

Also supporting Henderson was 3rd Ward Councilor Steve Valentino.

At-Large Councilor Tony DiCostanzo said the Planning Board did its “due diligence” with the information it had at the time.

“Is that enough? I’m not sure. Maybe. That’s still to be decided,” he said. “But it’s incumbent on us when an issue is brought before us to look into it.

“If legal action is threatened against the city, we might want to discuss it first in executive session with legal counsel and then go public if needed,” DiCostanzo added.

#1458620 --- 09/06/14 01:45 PM Re: Chicken coop/solar farm. [Re: BrumWife]
roundtable Offline

Loc: new york state
Correct me if I'm wrong: For years many to most of Geneva has wanted to see some lakefront development involving residential options (condos) that would offer some of us here in town a place to live and invite others into our community. It would offer some help to our already eroded and destroyed tax problems. AND.... for many years there have been a "small group" deterring this idea from ever happening saying we want it all green space and open. Now I may be wrong and if I am, please correct me...... but isnt Mr, Henderson part of that small group who is vocal in deterring a productive lakefront that will offer the city some tax revenue? Mr. Henderson..... regarding your chicken coops in a neighborhood and a small group of people trying to deter your idea....... Hmmmm..... I think this is called KARMA. Hows it feel?

#1458665 --- 09/06/14 10:01 PM Re: Chicken coop/solar farm. [Re: roundtable]
genevaparent Offline

I would have to agree. I have lived in Geneva for many years and a common voicing around town is that we should sell the entire lakefront to developers and develop it into condos and homes. NOT, I know very few people that think the lakefront should be developed. It is a gem and once it's gone you can't replace it.

While we are at it, expand the dump so we can accept trash from all over the east coast, not only the north east. If you can not smell it then it is not big enough. I love the smell of rotting garbage on a warm summers night.

#1458682 --- 09/07/14 08:18 AM Re: Chicken coop/solar farm. [Re: loyal]
Jeff Peters Offline

Loc: Geneva
I don't think that there has ever been a real poll on development of the lakefront, but I did talk to an individual that ran for an at large seat on the Council and they found very little support for that kind of development.

#1458702 --- 09/07/14 10:34 AM Re: Chicken coop/solar farm. [Re: genevaparent]
maisy Offline

Loc: Ontario County
Originally Posted By: genevaparent
I would have to agree. I have lived in Geneva for many years and a common voicing around town is that we should sell the entire lakefront to developers and develop it into condos and homes. NOT, I know very few people that think the lakefront should be developed. It is a gem and once it's gone you can't replace it.

While we are at it, expand the dump so we can accept trash from all over the east coast, not only the north east. If you can not smell it then it is not big enough. I love the smell of rotting garbage on a warm summers night.

Ha! I was all ready to get fired up reading the beginning of your post, but then you gave me a much needed laugh. You, my friend, win the interwebs smile
Even more important, you are 100% correct.

#1458718 --- 09/07/14 01:36 PM Re: Chicken coop/solar farm. [Re: loyal]
buckshot_00 Offline

Loc: Finger Lakes
No sympathy for Henderson. How many of his students failed their math exams because he was taking every week off for his personal triathlon endeavors?

You reap what you sow. This city owes you nothing.

#1458821 --- 09/08/14 11:19 PM Re: Chicken coop/solar farm. [Re: genevaparent]
roundtable Offline

Never said sell out the whole lake front.... hey... get in your car and take a ride to see what other lakefront communities have done that both helps with tax revenue AND offers plenty of space for local citizens to enjoy it as well. Think global (I know that's a little tough for some to comprehend here) and act local.

#1458835 --- 09/09/14 06:36 AM Re: Chicken coop/solar farm. [Re: roundtable]
genevaparent Offline

I have been to a number of lakefronts in the area and I don't come up with one that I think was well done. Which one would you propose as the model lakefront that we should try to emulate?

#1459216 --- 09/16/14 02:28 PM Re: Chicken coop/solar farm. [Re: loyal]
loyal Offline

Loc: NY
Since this was a city hall problem, they should just ask the zoning board for the variance themselves and grow up and get over it.

#1460860 --- 10/07/14 09:15 PM Re: Chicken coop/solar farm. [Re: loyal]
genevaparent Offline

ARE YOU KIDDING!!

Per tonights paper the city is taking Jeff Henderson to court to stop the chicken co-op. I live in the city and I don't support this action. PLEASE do not spend my tax dollars on this.

Geneva needs to come into the 21st century. Google "cities that allow chickens" and OMG there are many. Ever heard of Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, and New York? Granted I did not go and read the actual laws but this is what was reported.

here's the link - http://billingsbackyardhens.wordpress.co...ing-urban-hens/

What a bunch of idiots! Leave Jeff alone and spend my tax dollars on something important. Time to be a little more progressive!

#1460864 --- 10/07/14 09:20 PM Re: Chicken coop/solar farm. [Re: genevaparent]
voice Offline

They are! An outdated 911 system!

#1460865 --- 10/07/14 09:37 PM Re: Chicken coop/solar farm. [Re: roundtable]
Timbo Offline
Silver Member

Loc: CNY
Originally Posted By: roundtable
Correct me if I'm wrong: For years many to most of Geneva has wanted to see some lakefront development involving residential options (condos) that would offer some of us here in town a place to live and invite others into our community. It would offer some help to our already eroded and destroyed tax problems. AND.... for many years there have been a "small group" deterring this idea from ever happening saying we want it all green space and open. Now I may be wrong and if I am, please correct me...... but isnt Mr, Henderson part of that small group who is vocal in deterring a productive lakefront that will offer the city some tax revenue? Mr. Henderson..... regarding your chicken coops in a neighborhood and a small group of people trying to deter your idea....... Hmmmm..... I think this is called KARMA. Hows it feel?

Name just ONE example of anybody who has said that they want it "all green and empty".

Verifiable facts only, please.

I suspect that you're simply unhappy that a developer's plan to permanently rob the Geneva community and visitors of it's finest natural resource, in order to plop down another ugly McCondo, is meeting strong and justified opposition.

#1460867 --- 10/07/14 10:22 PM Re: Chicken coop/solar farm. [Re: loyal]
Autumn Night Offline

I think it's absolutely ridiculous that the city gave him the go ahead and only after he began building and investing his time and money, said "Oh, wait a minute..." Now they want to squander city resident's tax dollars over a few chickens? Why? Because a handful of nosy neighbors have an issue? They gave him the go ahead now are going back on their word.

#1460905 --- 10/08/14 09:11 AM Re: Chicken coop/solar farm. [Re: loyal]
ruby2 Offline

This matter is as important as the 911 money issue. Both are part of the same drive to get the city moving. Good people are trying to get the still waters of Geneva to flow in a more positive and vibrant way and are being met by one log jam after another. I do wonder what the real problem is here with this city, who's behind the curtain?

#1460908 --- 10/08/14 09:14 AM Re: Chicken coop/solar farm. [Re: Autumn Night]
averagejoe Offline

it is a conspiracy against Jeff by entire city staff and city council

Oh - almost forgot - Jeff has a relationship with all of city staff for the Musselman he runs and a relationship with city councilor[s]

how much does Jeff pay the city for all those services provided before, during and after the race ?

and the musselman is very transparent - jeff did a study and the race puts millions into local economy - more and more each year

is the musselman a non-profit to receive these free 'in-kind' services from the city ?

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 ... 11 12 >