FingerLakes1.com Forums
Topic Options
#1449398 - 06/03/14 10:23 AM WWDC 2014 Keynote
Timbo Offline

Loc: CNY

Apple, once again sets the industry standard with impressive upgrades to iOS and OS X:

Two hour keynote address: http://www.apple.com/apple-events/june-2014/

FingerLakes1.com
#1449606 - 06/04/14 02:43 PM Re: WWDC 2014 Keynote [Re: Timbo]
seneca dad22 Offline

Loc: NY
The attendance was overwhelming. I cannot wait to see what Apple comes out with next.

#1449687 - 06/05/14 02:18 AM Re: WWDC 2014 Keynote [Re: seneca dad22]
Timbo Offline

I don't think it's really set in yet, with the Windows crowd, just how far ahead of the rest of the industry, that Apple has now positioned themselves. Especially when it comes to attracting developers and with the impressive increase in market penetration that Apple portables have now gained in the enterprise.

Between recent acquisitions, new cloud storage facilities, media streaming, upcoming performance increases of their in-house designed, low-power chip fabrication, there doesn't seem to be any sign of slowing down this Juggernaut. And this doesn't even take into account, upcoming hardware or applications.

There's simply no longer anything on the market, that comes even close to the total immersion of experience, ecosystem and seamless integration of services, that Apple now offers.

My God, they've got more cash on hand, than the entire United States.

Color me amazed.

#1449811 - 06/06/14 06:01 AM Re: WWDC 2014 Keynote [Re: Timbo]
DR. D Offline

Loc: Waterloo/Seneca Falls/Junius/T...
OS X is 13 years old and getting a new pay update...again.... Take my money???

I really had hoped that apple would have offered more in the lines of innovation or at least a unification of their OS's.

#1449851 - 06/06/14 11:53 AM Re: WWDC 2014 Keynote [Re: DR. D]
Timbo Offline

Originally Posted By: DR. D
OS X is 13 years old and getting a new pay update...again.... Take my money???

I really had hoped that apple would have offered more in the lines of innovation or at least a unification of their OS's.

I'm guessing that you never watched the Keynote. Apple has made hugely significant inroads in the area of OS integration and innovation. Especially in the single most important areas. Developers (It's by far, the largest OS release, to date). They even introduced an amazing new code programming language (Swift) which reduces workload by about 75%.

Metal, Handoff, Messegas, Health, HomeKit, Predictive Text, Airdrop, Phone Calls, SMS, Instant Hotspot, etc., etc..

Did I mention that OS X 10.10 is not only free, but also has incredibly low system requirement. (Mid/Late 2007 systems and newer, in most cases).

I think you'll find that this is Apple's big push for a total OS reboot on their next release. It's certainly FAR more than an update.

#1449885 - 06/07/14 06:54 AM Re: WWDC 2014 Keynote [Re: Timbo]
DR. D Offline

10.10 is nothing more than a service pack, no more no less. I am really digging health and homekit, both are in my opinion a great push towards the future.

#1449897 - 06/07/14 12:23 PM Re: WWDC 2014 Keynote [Re: DR. D]
Timbo Offline

10.10 is nothing more than a service pack, no more no less. I am really digging health and homekit, both are in my opinion a great push towards the future.

You're kidding, right?

I'd love to know of ANY other OS X release with even remotely comparable, under-the-hood hardware and software, enhancements.

The built-in, long-term extensibility built into Yosemite, is categorically, without peer. A host of the fundamental underpinnings have been rewritten from the ground up, in preparation for an entire new ecosystem of hardware and software implementation. Processing, memory access and allotment, power usage, storage, graphical computation, rendering and scaling, I/O, wireless, application interconnectivity, even the way that subroutines are addressed, have (at the very least) been reconfigured with major consideration to future scalability. The sheer number of new apps and added functionality alone, puts 10.10 into a class, all by itself.

#1453330 - 07/10/14 02:20 PM Re: WWDC 2014 Keynote [Re: Timbo]
Octelly Offline

Loc: Waterloo, NY
I have a question for "those in the know"...
As a computer gamer...
Does Apple offer much support for games?
It just doesn't seem like many games are built for the Apple platform.
Am I wrong?

#1453352 - 07/10/14 04:54 PM Re: WWDC 2014 Keynote [Re: Octelly]
Timbo Offline

It all depends. The old days of Apple being an "also-ran" in gaming, are long gone. It's a brave new world out there.

In general terms, Apple is now the undisputed leader in gaming (when looking at sheer numbers, as available thru the Apple App Store). In that sense, no one else comes even close. The App Store makes it a dead-simple, no-brainer to download games and apps, which quite frankly, should be a humiliating embarrassment to all others who attempt to compete with them in this manner.

If you're talking about some First Person Shooters or Role Playing Games, there are a handful that are better supported or only available on the Windows side. That being said, the vast majority are available on both platforms and are usually released within a few months (or weeks) of each other. There are many that are also available only for Mac OS/iOS (and those numbers are increasing rapidly).

When it comes to tablets, phones and other iOS devices, Apple again, rules the roost. even though there are some only available on other portable OSs. Unfortunately for Android, the OS ecosystem is horribly fragmented with a slew of problems inherent with having so many incompatible versions. Many game and app developers, are dropping their support for Android in HUGE numbers due to these issues, and are now porting their software exclusively over to Apple devices. Apple's relationship with developers is generally better than with Android and Windows portable devices, and the rate of this trend is increasing every day.

Apple recently announced its new graphics processing system dubbed "Metal", which will soon provide mind-boggling increases in the processing power, energy efficiency and miniaturization of devices, that, as of yet, no other platform(s) are able to even hint at. The gaming future looks quite bright for Apple, and will be (pardon the pun) the "game to beat" for the foreseeable future. Even today, a well equipped iMac, will run the most processor-intensive tasks that any game can throw at it. 3.5 GHz Intel i7 Processors with 32 GB of 1600 MHz DDR3 SDRAM, and an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4GB GDDR5 Video Card. It won't even break a sweat while processing those shaders and running at maximum frame rate. You will of course, pay for all that "goodness". Just as I had to. grin And, for those who simply have WAY too much money, one can consider a Mac Pro for a truly ASTOUNDING set of specifications. But that's just crazy talk.

Here's a link, but don't say I didn't warn you: shocked http://www.apple.com/mac-pro/

If, like many others, you are a rabid loyalist of one or two specific game titles, you may want to investigate to see if it is available on any given platform. But, for the most part, Apple's "closed system", control over hardware, software and licensing, has grown it's game division into a hard-to-beat gaming experience. This is not likely to change any time soon. In fact, in keeping with all the indicators, it's likely to only become even more unstoppable. Especially when you consider, that virtually every other maker of portable devices and operating systems, either heavily subsidizes their platform (Android and Microsoft) or are selling out their mobile/phone divisions (Motorola and Nokia).

Good luck with getting the system that bests fits your needs.

#1455025 - 07/23/14 08:45 PM Re: WWDC 2014 Keynote [Re: Timbo]
Timbo Offline

Microsoft again writes off Surface inventory, renews profitability doubts.

Omits cost of revenue for Surface in latest SEC filing, but acknowledges a write-off to cover the Surface Mini that didn't launch.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9...tability_doubts

#1455028 - 07/24/14 06:18 AM Re: WWDC 2014 Keynote [Re: Timbo]
DR. D Offline

Have a Surface, it is quite the device.

#1455077 - 07/24/14 01:19 PM Re: WWDC 2014 Keynote [Re: DR. D]
Timbo Offline

Have a Surface, it is quite the device.

Yes, it is... for as long as MS continues to hemorrhage money on it and the rest of it's supporting ecosystem.

And with all the radical changes that newly appointed CEO Satya Nadella is wisely carrying out, I wouldn't bank on it being too much longer.

Quality of product is irrelevant, if the product isn't profitable or doesn't benefit other products by providing some kind of "halo effect". Neither, has yet been the case.