FingerLakes1.com Forums
Topic Options
#1449258 --- 06/01/14 11:30 AM Cheapest place for car inspection in or near Geneva?
Driveshaft Offline

Loc: Geneva, New York
Joe's up near the old Tops used to do them for $5 for awhile, but now it's back up to $30 I think. Any places cheaper than $30 for inspection?

FingerLakes1.com
#1449267 --- 06/01/14 02:50 PM Re: Cheapest place for car inspection in or near Geneva? [Re: Driveshaft]
764379255223 Offline

Loc: Ontario County
NYS charges $21 Any deviation from that is up to the inspection station

#1449269 --- 06/01/14 03:10 PM Re: Cheapest place for car inspection in or near Geneva? [Re: Driveshaft]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Ship of Fools
Quote:
Any places cheaper than $30 for inspection?

I hate to say it (okay, that's not really true grin ), but Tennessee is cheaper...no state inspection. Inside Memphis city limits, there's a $10 emission inspection, except for cars less than 4 years old; they are exempt.

The notion that inspections are for public safety is just more baloney...they are a means of seizing money from citizens, while convincing some people that the seizure by government is for their own good.

#1449292 --- 06/02/14 08:44 AM Re: Cheapest place for car inspection in or near Geneva? [Re: Driveshaft]
Mean Gene Offline

Loc: Yates County
I agree with VM, the notion that you have to pay the state when you buy a brand new car to have it "inspected" and then continue to pay every year is just another hidden tax courtesy of New York. You can add that to the "surcharges" they enacted for traffic tickets and criminal convictions.

Florida has no such requirement, people can still be ticketed for vehicular violations if they drive a rattle trap around. smile

#1449297 --- 06/02/14 09:49 AM Re: Cheapest place for car inspection in or near Geneva? [Re: Driveshaft]
Sketch Offline

Loc: NYS
I believe it's set rate from NYS. Anything less and it may not be legit.

#1449535 --- 06/04/14 04:51 AM Re: Cheapest place for car inspection in or near Geneva? [Re: Driveshaft]
teedoff27 Offline

Loc: S2Hphoto
NYS inspections are $21. YES some places offer a $5 inspection to get you in the door, which means the shop is technically paying the $16...however 9 times out of 10 your car will *fail* and you will need $100+++ in repairs in order for it to *pass*

Most places do a quick visual inspection of tires, lights, signals, etc, and have the inspection computer do the rest and in and out in 10 minutes for $21. However, steer clear of Midas, Monro, anyplace offering *discount inspections, and places of the sort. They will measure the tread on your tires, take off the tires and measure the brakes, rotors, to make sure their not too "lean" and check the entire exhaust etc in hopes of finding anything that will *fail* your car that the computer didn't catch so they can do the costly repairs at a huge mark up $$$*Cha-CHING*$$$

#1449710 --- 06/05/14 10:20 AM Re: Cheapest place for car inspection in or near Geneva? [Re: teedoff27]
Festus Offline

Loc: On yer nerves.
You, sir, are a dumazz.

NYS REQUIRES the following:

The New York State vehicle safety inspection program helps make sure every vehicle registered in this state meets the minimum standards for safe operation on public streets and highways. In addition, most vehicles are subject to an emissions inspection to help reduce air pollution.

A properly maintained vehicle is safer, performs better, uses fuel more efficiently and saves the owner money. You can help by doing your own equipment safety checks between annual inspections, and by following a program of regular vehicle maintenance as recommended by the manufacturer.

This publication highlights the safety and emissions inspection requirements for cars and light trucks. Other motor vehicles, including motorcycles and trailers, must meet different requirements for annual inspection.

NEW YORK STATE VEHICLE INSPECTION REQUIREMENTS:

Motor vehicles are required, by law, to be in safe operating condition whenever they are driven on a public street or roadway in New York State.

Each vehicle registered in New York State must be inspected at least every 12 months. The inspection must be done before the expiration date of the current inspection sticker, and whenever the vehicle becomes registered in a different name.

When a vehicle inspection is requested, an inspection station must inspect any vehicle it is licensed to inspect or must provide, in writing, an appointment date that is within eight working days. If an appointment is made, the station may require a deposit that cannot exceed the inspection fee.

The inspection must be done in a licensed inspection station displaying an official sign, and must be performed by a certified motor vehicle inspector.

If your vehicle fails the safety and/or emissions inspection, the inspection station must have your permission before beginning any repairs.

You are not required to have your vehicle repaired or re-inspected at the station that performed the initial inspection. Your vehicle may be taken to any registered repair shop, or you may make the required repairs yourself. Your vehicle must then pass a new inspection, at an inspection station of your choice, before an inspection sticker will be issued.

It is a misdemeanor for an inspector to knowingly issue, or a motorist to knowingly accept, an inspection sticker unless a full and proper inspection has been performed.

ITEMS INSPECTED ON CARS AND LIGHT TRUCKS

Seat Belts

Inspect for proper operation and anchorage.

Model years 1969 and newer - one seat belt is required for each seating position
Model years 1967 and 1968 - two front seat belts are required (driver position included), and one seat belt is required for each seating position elsewhere in the vehicle
Model years 1965 and 1966 - two front seat belts are required (driver position included)

Your vehicle's Air Bag Warning Lamp will be checked for proper operation. You will be informed if the vehicle's air bag warning lamp is on or is not working. This is an advisement only and not cause for rejection.

Brakes

At least one front wheel must be removed to inspect the brakes.

Brake pedal reserve - brake pedal must have 1/3 reserve
Brake pedal fade - brake must hold for one minute without fading
Power brake unit - check for proper operation
Brake master cylinder - check for leakage and proper fluid level
Disc brake pads - check condition
Drum brake linings - thickness of linings must be at least 1/16 inch on bonded linings or at least 1/32 inch over rivet head on riveted linings, with no loose or missing rivets or lining
Brake drums and/or rotors - check condition
Wheel cylinders and/or calipers - check for leakage
All brake lines and hoses - check for leaks, cracks, chafing, restrictions, and improper support
Parking brake - check for components and function
Brake equalization - test vehicle for a straight stop without significant wheel pull

Steering, Front End, Suspension, Chassis, Frame and Wheel Fasteners

Front end assembly - check condition

Steering wheel play - check for excessive freeplay
All steering linkages - check for tightness or binding, excessive wear and/or looseness in parts, including idler arm, center control arm, tie-rod ends, drag link ends, steering and pitman arms, gear box, cross shafts, bushings, wheel bearings, steering column or steering wheel shaft mounting
Power steering - check operation, condition of belt, and for leakage
Shock absorbers - check shock mountings and for broken or missing shock absorbers
Springs and torsion bars - check for sagging or broken springs, or a broken, disconnected, missing or bent torsion or stabilizer bar
Chassis/frame - check for breaks, cracks, or severe rust at the suspension attachment points
Wheel fasteners - check for missing or broken parts

Tires

(Except spare)

Tread depth - must be at least 2/32 inch when measured in two adjacent major tread grooves showing the most wear
Tire condition - check for any fabric break or cut over the length or width of 1 inch, visible bumps, bulges or knots, and any restricted use designation on the tire
Tire pressure - You will be informed if the vehicle's tire pressure in not within the manufacturer's recommendation. This is an advisement only, and not cause for rejection.

Lights

All lighting must be of an approved type and inspected for operation, proper mounting, and broken or missing lenses. Side marker lamps, parking lamps, and additional flashing turning lamps mounted on the side of the vehicle are not inspected.

Headlamps (low and high beam)
Tail lamps
Stop lamps
Directional signals
Backup lights (1969 and newer)
License plate lights
Hazard warning/four-way flasher (1966 and newer)
Directional signal indicator

Windshield and Other Glass

No crack of 11 inches long or longer is allowed if any part of the crack is within the area cleared by the windshield wiper.

Windshield - check for presence and condition
All windows - check for approved safety glass or rigid plastic and condition

Windshield Wipers and Blades

(Not including rear window or headlamp wipers)

Wipers - check for presence and operation
Blades - check condition

Horn

Check mounting and operation

Mirrors

Check mirror locations for proper mounting, cracks, breaks, and/or discoloration.

Model year 1970 and newer - must have a left outside mirror and an inside mirror, or both left and right outside mirrors
Model year 1968 and newer - must have a left outside mirror
1967 and older - must have one mirror that is either an inside mirror or a left outside mirror

Note: Any vehicle that has a permanent obstruction of the view through the rear window (Example: a truck or van) must have both a left and a right outside mirror.

Fuel Leaks

Any fuel leak that causes dripping or pooling is not acceptable.

The Emissions Inspection - Drive New York Clean

The 1990 Federal Clean Air Act requires New York State to conduct an inspection program to help reduce harmful emissions from most gasoline-powered passenger cars and light-duty trucks. The emissions inspection is done at the same time as the annual safety inspection. Vehicles that fail the emissions inspection may not be able to become registered or, if already registered, the registration may not be renewed.

Registration Based Enforcement (RBE)

Inspection records are transmitted electronically to DMV from the inspection stations. Vehicles subject to emissions inspection must have a valid inspection record on file with DMV before a registration may be renewed. Registration renewal invitations mailed to motorists contain a warning message if there is no record of a valid inspection on file for the vehicle when the invitation is issued. If the vehicle has passed inspection but DMV does not have the record, the motorist may bring the inspection receipt issued by the inspection station as proof of passing the inspection, if renewing in a DMV office; if renewing by mail, a copy of this receipt may be included as proof of inspection.

Drive NY CleanSome vehicles are exempt from the emissions inspection program. Your passenger car or light truck does not have to be inspected for emissions if it is:

Less than two model years old;
26 model years old or older;
Registered with historical plates; or,
Electric-powered only.

Most vehicles with diesel engines are also exempt. However, diesel-powered vehicles that are registered at more than 8,500 lbs. and are registered in the New York Metropolitan Area (NYMA) counties of Nassau, Suffolk, Rockland, Westchester, or one of the five counties within New York City, are subject to annual emissions inspection. All diesel-powered vehicles over 8,500 lbs. maximum gross weight (MGW) operated in New York State, even if registered elsewhere, are subject to roadside inspections. These safety and equipment inspections are conducted randomly statewide by the New York State Police and the New York State Department of Transportation.

scanning the barcodeOn-Board Diagnostics - Version II (OBDII) Inspection. The emissions inspection for vehicles registered anywhere in New York State includes an "OBDII" (on-board diagnostics) test for vehicles that weigh 8,500 lbs. or less, and are model year 1996 or newer. Part of this test examines the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL), also known as the "check engine" light, for operation/illumination, and verifies the test results of the vehicle's "on-board emissions diagnostic" system.

Low Enhanced Inspection. A "Low Enhanced" emissions inspection is required for most other vehicles, unless they are subject to the OBDII test or are exempt from all emissions inspections. This inspection is required for all vehicles from and including model year 1995 and older, through and including vehicles that are up to 25 model years old, and that weigh 18,000 lbs. or less.

inspection analyzerWhat the Emissions Inspection Includes

Each emissions inspection confirms the presence and connection of the vehicle's required emissions control devices. This includes making sure that the vehicle's gas cap is present, is in good condition, and fits properly.

The emissions control devices are examined if the vehicle was originally manufactured with them. The vehicle model years affected are indicated below.

Catalytic converter (CAT) - all model years
Exhaust gas recirculation valve (EGR) - all model years
Positive crankcase ventilation system (PCV) - all model years
Air injection system (AIS) - 1984 and newer
Evaporative emissions control (EVAP) - 1984 and newer
Fuel inlet restrictor (FIR) - 1984 and newer
Thermostatic air cleaner (TAC) - 1984 and newer

#1449798 --- 06/06/14 03:13 AM Re: Cheapest place for car inspection in or near Geneva? [Re: Driveshaft]
teedoff27 Offline

Oh yes I forgot that every Auto Shop and Mechanic is 100% honest and has NEVER bilked a customer for frivolous repairs in order to pass inspection smirk

Thanks for the novel, but I am well aware of what an inspection is supposed to involve. All I was stating is that if you go to Monro, Midas, and shops that entice you with a $5 for an inspection are more apt to give you a full on to the *T* inspection. If you are willing to look around or know the right people you can find a shop that will give you a less intense "inspection" that won't involve costly and/or frivolous repairs. wink He asked for CHEAP and I was letting him know ways of CHEAP inspections.

In the 25 years I have been driving I can honestly say I have had only 1 "true inspection". Before the State Inspection computer system it was "lick 'em and stick 'em" and now with the computer system it has always been a quick tire, light, and signal inspection then hookup to the computer and if no error codes viola a *passed* inspection.

#1449819 --- 06/06/14 06:57 AM Re: Cheapest place for car inspection in or near Geneva? [Re: teedoff27]
Festus Offline

Loc: On yer nerves.
Originally Posted By: teedoff27
Oh yes I forgot that every Auto Shop and Mechanic is 100% honest and has NEVER bilked a customer for frivolous repairs in order to pass inspection smirk

Thanks for the novel, but I am well aware of what an inspection is supposed to involve. All I was stating is that if you go to Monro, Midas, and shops that entice you with a $5 for an inspection are more apt to give you a full on to the *T* inspection. If you are willing to look around or know the right people you can find a shop that will give you a less intense "inspection" that won't involve costly and/or frivolous repairs. wink He asked for CHEAP and I was letting him know ways of CHEAP inspections.

In the 25 years I have been driving I can honestly say I have had only 1 "true inspection". Before the State Inspection computer system it was "lick 'em and stick 'em" and now with the computer system it has always been a quick tire, light, and signal inspection then hookup to the computer and if no error codes viola a *passed* inspection.

Then YOU have been breaking the law by accepting less than a proper inspection. And what do flowers have to do with an inspection?

#1449854 --- 06/06/14 11:11 AM Re: Cheapest place for car inspection in or near Geneva? [Re: Driveshaft]
teedoff27 Offline

ohhhhh I am a hardened CRIMINAL!!! Lock me up and throw away the key smirk

Also Professor Festus, PLEASE forgive me for typing too fast at 4:13am and writing viola instead of Voila smirk

#1449867 --- 06/06/14 04:08 PM Re: Cheapest place for car inspection in or near Geneva? [Re: teedoff27]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Ship of Fools
It reminds me of the time I took my truck to Peter koch for a "free" inspection. They wanted to sell me new brakes and rotors, brake lines, fuel lines, and a new power steering pump, for a little over $1100, before they would pass it. So I took it to Trombleys, where all it needed was a tail light bulb. I kept the truck another 2 years, and never did have any problems at all with the brakes or brake lines, or the fuel lines or steering. I never even had to add any fluids...there were zero leaks. Sometimes I wish I believed in Hell, so I'd have the pleasure of knowing that those con artist dealership employees will be there, eventually.

Prior to that, I'd bought an '87 Omni there, and the sales hustler tried to con me into thinking it had fuel injection. I had to take him out to the lot and point out the carburetor to him.

When I made my offer to him, he said that he had to discuss it with the manager. I said, "Okay, and while you're doing that, I'll head over to Sam Dell and see what he wants for an Omni, and then check back with you.". He immediately decided that he didn't really need to talk to the manager, after all. What a place!

I meet people like those all the time. It's a bitter pill to swallow, but I've finally had to admit to myself that I must look really stupid, and so gullible that I'll believe anything.

Oh, well! wink

#1449886 --- 06/07/14 07:16 AM Re: Cheapest place for car inspection in or near Geneva? [Re: Driveshaft]
teedoff27 Offline

That was EXACTLY my point. Things on the inspection that are up to a *visual inspection* of the mechanic are ALWAYS the thing they say "need replacing".....Coincidence....I think not! smirk

For those who think all mechanics are honest, ESPECIALLY service center at auto dealers (the BIGGEST crooks!), I have a bridge to sell you smirk

Just like when you go to instant oil change places, they ALWAYS tell you your filter is *dirty*, wipers are bad, belts are cracked, battery is near dead, etc. etc. etc. and they will gladly replace it at TRIPLE the cost of any auto parts store smirk When in actuality cleaning your battery terminals, wiping the wiper blades with rubbing alcohol, and blowing out the *dirty* filter with an air hose will suffice. They offer cheap oil changes and/or inspections that they barely make a profit on in hopes of selling you *extras* at a huge market to make their profit

#1450320 --- 06/11/14 08:06 AM Re: Cheapest place for car inspection in or near Geneva? [Re: teedoff27]
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: USA
best to find a quality repair shop and frequent their business

#1450444 --- 06/12/14 03:14 AM Re: Cheapest place for car inspection in or near Geneva? [Re: Driveshaft]
teedoff27 Offline

Fortunately I learned from my father growing up and can do my own maintenance and basic repairs on our vehicles. For the difficult ones, my brother in law who is a certified mechanic does them. So if our vehicles were to ever fail inspection, he can do the repairs for a mere fraction of the price and sign off on the required paperwork.

#1463993 --- 12/17/14 07:12 AM Re: Cheapest place for car inspection in or near Geneva? [Re: Driveshaft]
Spi63 Offline

Loc: Geneva, New York ,
We have used Trombleys on Exchange St. way back when it was D's tire. I always tell woman who are alone to go there because they are honest people and will not take advantage of them. I my self have to go this morning for an inspection on my car....We have never had a problem with what they tell us when something is wrong with cars. Good people are sometimes hard to fine and when you do you stick with them....

#1464040 --- 12/18/14 07:32 AM Re: Cheapest place for car inspection in or near Geneva? [Re: Spi63]
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

what type of work have you had done?

#1464072 --- 12/19/14 06:58 AM Re: Cheapest place for car inspection in or near Geneva? [Re: Driveshaft]
Spi63 Offline

Loc: Geneva, New York ,
Bluezone, brakes, brake lines, oil change, water pump, radiator replacement, timing chain replacement. Just to name a few. As I said we have been going there for over 40 years. Just ask for Gary, he will see to it that your problem will be taken care of. If they can't he will tell you up front.

Edited by Spi63 (12/19/14 06:59 AM)

#1464508 --- 01/06/15 09:43 AM Re: Cheapest place for car inspection in or near Geneva? [Re: Spi63]
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

it appears they are able to work on all aspects of a vehicle
which is good news for someone looking to quality repairs