FingerLakes1.com Forums
Topic Options
#1446927 --- 05/08/14 12:27 PM This Should Have Never Happened
Dizzyt Offline

Loc: NY
And...he is right. Something needs to be done to protect these young children of a parent's careless and senseless act of not thinking properly and being negligent. I feel for the friends and family that lost this loving little boy. What a little darling, so precious, so innocent and a little life gone too soon by something that could have been prevented. It's time for Legislation to wake up and start enacting some type of laws about children being on equipment while a parent or adult is operating such, a child should not be on equipment regardless, he should not be climbing on it, sitting on it, nothing!!! Back awhile ago when there were just a couple of isolated incidents, I guess I didn't act as concerned as I do now. I mean I felt remorse and sadness for what the friends and family that had to mourn and heal from the loss of their young loved one. But, now it seems as though it is happening more and more frequently. It needs to have some law put in place to start holding the adults accountable. A child, let alone anybody should not die in any manner that could have otherwise, using common sense have been prevented!!! I agree whole heartedly with this editorial. Sorry if others don't, but it really does bother me frown

http://www.waynetimes.com/columns/this-never-should-have-happened/

It was hardly a blip on the local TV news. A two year-old boy dies in a tractor accident in the Town of Butler. Before some readers go bonkers on why I am bringing up the death of this little boy and the additional pain it will bring to the family, read on.

This accident should never have happened. The father, Greg Northrup, was on an old beat-up tractor that had its fenders removed. In place of a tractor seat, an old Dodge Caravan mini van back seat was installed.

With his 2 year-old, adopted son next to him on the tractor, at 8:13 p.m. on Monday (4/26), Northrup made a quick, sharp turn into a parking spot. The unsecured child went flying off the tractor, his head was run over and crushed by the left rear tire.

The little boy had a short, hard life. His original mother had been a drug addict and his new father seemingly a jerk.

According to police on the scene, the family began screaming at each other, Greg bemoaning how he would probably now lose his wife and his farm.

I know this was a tragedy all the way around, but ask yourself this question; Would Greg Northrup be more under the legal microscope if he had been driving a car and a two year-old child was not buckled in and the child died?

Why is it that every year a child is injured or killed by somebody allowing them on a dangerous piece of farm equipment? Who is going to seek justice for the two year-old boy?

A child is dead because of pure stupidity and besides tears, there must be some reckoning. Bottom line, this should never have happened and adults who think they are somehow bonding with little children by putting them in a dangerous situation should considered this little boy. The same goes for those wonderful lawn tractor rides. It only takes a second before someone is injured, or a little two year-old has his head crushed in a senseless accident.

Regardless of some people’s opinion this should not simply be chalked up as an unfortunate accident, Wayne County District Attorney Rick Healy said the incident is under investigation.

http://www.whec.com/news/stories/S3427750.shtml?cat=565

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/fltimes...&fhid=10767

Isaac Asimov

FingerLakes1.com
#1446941 --- 05/08/14 01:15 PM Re: This Should Have Never Happened [Re: Dizzyt]
young guns Offline

Loc: USA
Damn fools real sad.

#1447015 --- 05/08/14 07:35 PM Re: This Should Have Never Happened [Re: Dizzyt]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Ship of Fools
Quote:
his new father seemingly a jerk.

No "seemingly" about it; I've had the misfortune to have dealt with him, and he's about as much of a jerk as anyone can be. He deserves to lose his farm. The kid deserved a better father.

#1447052 --- 05/09/14 06:11 AM Re: This Should Have Never Happened [Re: Dizzyt]
Devil's Advocate Offline

Loc: 6th Circle of Hell
Originally Posted By: Dizzyt
And...he is right. Something needs to be done to protect these young children of a parent's careless and senseless act of not thinking properly and being negligent. I feel for the friends and family that lost this loving little boy. What a little darling, so precious, so innocent and a little life gone too soon by something that could have been prevented. It's time for Legislation to wake up and start enacting some type of laws about children being on equipment while a parent or adult is operating such, a child should not be on equipment regardless, he should not be climbing on it, sitting on it, nothing!!! Back awhile ago when there were just a couple of isolated incidents, I guess I didn't act as concerned as I do now. I mean I felt remorse and sadness for what the friends and family that had to mourn and heal from the loss of their young loved one. But, now it seems as though it is happening more and more frequently. It needs to have some law put in place to start holding the adults accountable. A child, let alone anybody should not die in any manner that could have otherwise, using common sense have been prevented!!! I agree whole heartedly with this editorial.

Thank you for admitting your views have evolved from this.

Here we go, already jumping to conclusions! PLEASE READ THE LAST SENTENCE OF THE NEWS STORY. DEPUTIES SAY THE INVESTIGATION IS ONGOING

That would have stopped me from posting what you did. Until the final investigation has been done and I truly know the outcome of a situation. God, have you no compassion nor sympathy. A family lost their child and you come on here and post this BS! WRONG! VERY WRONG! Sad & Pathetic mad

Also, I don't think any farm tractors that farmer's drive have seatbelts neither, hmmm...should we go after them as well. Think before you type stupidity the next time.

I genuinely applaud you being big enough to admit you wrong

#1447153 --- 05/10/14 10:37 AM Re: This Should Have Never Happened [Re: Devil's Advocate]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

The fact that the two year old was riding on a tractor, which isn't a passenger vehicle, or an amusement ride, doesn't really have to be investigated, before anyone can comment on it; the family has publicly admitted it. They've even stated that a seat was welded onto it for the specific purpose of facilitating doing something stupid.

#1448679 --- 05/26/14 10:43 AM Re: This Should Have Never Happened [Re: Devil's Advocate]
Dizzyt Offline

Ever think that someone's opinion can change after awhile? After hearing of these stories repeatedly and people still doing it and not heeding warning? How about the stupidity of welding a van seat onto the tractor, really? You really think that's safe? Reinventing the wheel and modifying a huge piece of equipment yourself without any safety standards. The first story was of Mennonites, they have been doing that sort of stuff for years, also they didn't modify the tractor and come up with some fancy seat so their child could sit there. As many have said throughout public opinions and views on the news story, this man was not well respected by many and now this...the icing on the cake.

So, I really don't need you do-gooders coming around and trying to dig up past stories where my view might have been different, I know what I said, but thanks for reminding me wink

Originally Posted By: Devil's Advocate
And...he is right. Something needs to be done to protect these young children of a parent's careless and senseless act of not thinking properly and being negligent. I feel for the friends and family that lost this loving little boy. What a little darling, so precious, so innocent and a little life gone too soon by something that could have been prevented. It's time for Legislation to wake up and start enacting some type of laws about children being on equipment while a parent or adult is operating such, a child should not be on equipment regardless, he should not be climbing on it, sitting on it, nothing!!! Back awhile ago when there were just a couple of isolated incidents, I guess I didn't act as concerned as I do now. I mean I felt remorse and sadness for what the friends and family that had to mourn and heal from the loss of their young loved one. But, now it seems as though it is happening more and more frequently. It needs to have some law put in place to start holding the adults accountable. A child, let alone anybody should not die in any manner that could have otherwise, using common sense have been prevented!!! I agree whole heartedly with this editorial.

Thank you for admitting your views have evolved from this.

Here we go, already jumping to conclusions! PLEASE READ THE LAST SENTENCE OF THE NEWS STORY. DEPUTIES SAY THE INVESTIGATION IS ONGOING

That would have stopped me from posting what you did. Until the final investigation has been done and I truly know the outcome of a situation. God, have you no compassion nor sympathy. A family lost their child and you come on here and post this BS! WRONG! VERY WRONG! Sad & Pathetic mad

Also, I don't think any farm tractors that farmer's drive have seatbelts neither, hmmm...should we go after them as well. Think before you type stupidity the next time.

I genuinely applaud you being big enough to admit you wrong

Isaac Asimov

#1448706 --- 05/26/14 07:40 PM Re: This Should Have Never Happened [Re: Dizzyt]
wickedwhite Offline

Loc: waterloo
you people make me sick this father lost his child and all u can do is insult the man. you hope he loses his farm? why so his other children have to starve as well as dealing with the loss of there sibling.how about some compassion for the family that lost there son.im sure every one of u have done something not so safe in your life.it was a accident nothing more.he has to live with that for the rest of his life.so how about u guys grow up and keep you nasty stupid comments to your self.evry one feels tough when there behind a computer so stop being a bully and pray for the family and the child.and keep your insults to your self

#1448908 --- 05/27/14 07:44 PM Re: This Should Have Never Happened [Re: wickedwhite]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Quote:
you hope he loses his farm?

I didn't say that I hope he loses it; you said that. I said he deserves to lose it, and he deserves a lot worse than that. And regarding this incident, he didn't just accidentally "lose" the child; he was instrumental in causing the child's death. A tractor is not an amusement ride, and anyone who cares about children would never, ever let a child ride on one. If it weren't for him, the poor kid would still be alive. You ought to stop worrying about how the father feels, and find some sympathy for the unnecessarily dead toddler.

#1448994 --- 05/28/14 02:53 PM Re: This Should Have Never Happened [Re: Dizzyt]
Devil's Advocate Offline

Loc: 6th Circle of Hell
Quote:
Ever think that someone's opinion can change after awhile? After hearing of these stories repeatedly and people still doing it and not heeding warning? How about the stupidity of welding a van seat onto the tractor, really? You really think that's safe? Reinventing the wheel and modifying a huge piece of equipment yourself without any safety standards. The first story was of Mennonites, they have been doing that sort of stuff for years, also they didn't modify the tractor and come up with some fancy seat so their child could sit there. As many have said throughout public opinions and views on the news story, this man was not well respected by many and now this...the icing on the cake.

So, I really don't need you do-gooders coming around and trying to dig up past stories where my view might have been different, I know what I said, but thanks for reminding me

I complimented you for changing your opinion, which is what you said happened. Why are you treating that like an attack?

#1449310 --- 06/02/14 11:30 AM Re: This Should Have Never Happened [Re: Devil's Advocate]
Dizzyt Offline

I apologize, I am genuinely sorry, I had only seen the first sentence above where you quoted my earlier post from another topic in relevance to this one. I believe the other one happened in Seneca County to a Mennonite family. Regardless, something that should have never happened and could have been prevented if only common sense and brains were used. Again, I'm sorry for not reading all the way through smile

Isaac Asimov