FingerLakes1.com Forums
Topic Options
#1446257 --- 05/01/14 08:40 PM Fingerlakes Drive-in
dainty Offline

I remember going to the Drive-in with our parents in the sixties and with my husband before we got married. We took our children there and I hope our grand children get a chance to experience the drive-in as well. There are not many drive in theaters left. This is a tourist attraction and an asset to the fingerlakes. I do hope that the Seneca/Cayuga Art Counsels and the Fingerlakes Tourism Counsels are supportive in assisting with the upgrade. I also would think that the wineries and local colleges are contrinuting as well as the people who attend the theater. It is an asset to our communities.

FingerLakes1.com
#1446261 --- 05/02/14 03:25 AM Re: Fingerlakes Drive-in [Re: dainty]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Ship of Fools
Quote:
This is a tourist attraction and an asset to the fingerlakes.

People come to the Finger Lakes to go to a drive-in movie? If they do, what is the net gain to the Finger Lakes region, as a whole?

Quote:
I also would think that the wineries and local colleges are contrinuting

Why would you think that? Is the business you are advocating for contributing to those other businesses? If not, why not, under the principle, which you seem to subscribe to, that businesses should give money to other businesses? Have you donated to the drive-in? Do you habitually donate to businesses, to fund upgrades needed to increase their profits, or to keep them in business, if they're not getting enough customers to provide those funds? I'm sure many of them would appreciate the extra cash, because being in business isn't easy.

It shouldn't be hard to find businesses that need your help, if you'd just stop and ask them...after all, 8 out of 10 new businesses fail. With just a little help from you, maybe that wouldn't happen. Good luck, and remember...they're counting on you!

#1446361 --- 05/03/14 10:39 AM Re: Fingerlakes Drive-in [Re: dainty]
cinlou Offline

Loc: Montezuma, NY USA
A lot of people come from Syracuse and other areas. My in-laws love the place.

#1446386 --- 05/03/14 06:40 PM Re: Fingerlakes Drive-in [Re: dainty]
Code Red Offline

Loc: Out of my mind....
There was a drive in I went to in Conn. one time that during the day had a flea market set up where the cars go. Then at 5 they shut down and got ready for the movie. The concession stand was busy all day long. I think about that everytime I head to Auburn and drive by. The concession stand is where the theaters make their money. But they need to lower the prices and make money on quantity and not price gouge the crap out of you.

#1458806 --- 09/08/14 06:29 PM Re: Fingerlakes Drive-in [Re: Code Red]
Josephus Offline
Silver Member

Loc: NYS
Got ask... where in CT was this drive-in? I think I may know it.

#1458861 --- 09/09/14 12:03 PM Re: Fingerlakes Drive-in [Re: VM Smith]
Frisco kid Offline

Loc: Constantia NY
In reality buddy drive-in movies are quite an attraction. If purely for nostalgia. The one in Avon N.Y. does one Hell of a business. It's not an old dinosaur either rather it's very newer.
http://www.vintagedrivein.com/

As to it's "net gain" go to the original Thom Whals restaurant nearby. Packed. Just one example.

#1458890 --- 09/09/14 09:49 PM Re: Fingerlakes Drive-in [Re: Frisco kid]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Ship of Fools
If they're such an attraction, they should be able to make it on their own. But go ahead and donate, if you really want to.

#1458973 --- 09/11/14 04:20 PM Re: Fingerlakes Drive-in [Re: dainty]
Code Red Offline

Loc: Out of my mind....
Sorry Josephus for not responding sooner, I don't remember exactly. We were visiting my Father-in-law at the time. He lived in a trailer park not far from UCONN. So it was in the 5 to 10 mile range around there. But it was a very cool idea. One that if I had the cash would be interested into looking farther.

#1461735 --- 10/19/14 05:05 PM Re: Fingerlakes Drive-in [Re: dainty]
Spanky Offline

Loc: Seneca Falls NY Seneca
You know why that old car is out front? Seems that years ago an older couple drove into the drive in to see "Closed For The Season" which was listed on the sign outside. Wern't found till spring.