FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1444336 - 04/11/14 07:20 PM Yankee Joe Torre gives Pineda a pass!
wedggie Offline

Whoa, big surprise there. Just like Yankee Bob Watson taught him. " huh, pine tar? what pine tar"

Must be lame payback for Dempster plunking A-dope last season.

"MLB rule 8.02 states that a pitcher may not "apply a foreign substance of any kind to the ball." Rule 8.02 (b) states a pitcher may not "have on his person, or in his possession, any foreign substance. For such infraction of this section (b) the penalty shall be immediate ejection from the game. In addition, the pitcher shall be suspended automatically."

unless you wear (wore) pinstripes

Edited by wedggie (04/11/14 07:23 PM)

FingerLakes1.com
#1444383 - 04/12/14 09:45 AM Re: Yankee Joe Torre gives Pineda a pass! [Re: wedggie]
SportsRef1 Offline

Loc: Seneca County
Originally Posted By: wedggie
Whoa, big surprise there. Just like Yankee Bob Watson taught him. " huh, pine tar? what pine tar"

"MLB rule 8.02 states that a pitcher may not "apply a foreign substance of any kind to the ball." Rule 8.02 (b) states a pitcher may not "have on his person, or in his possession, any foreign substance. For such infraction of this section (b) the penalty shall be immediate ejection from the game. In addition, the pitcher shall be suspended automatically."

Really Wedg...or would it just be you ranting because he beat the Red Sux......when you gonna learn who's really in charge....regardless if they win the title or not......LOL!

#1444414 - 04/12/14 07:29 PM Re: Yankee Joe Torre gives Pineda a pass! [Re: wedggie]
Josephus Offline
Silver Member

Loc: NYS
Isn't Joe Torre retired and headed to the Hall of Fame this summer? Is so, who cares what he thinks. His opinion is just an opinion.

#1444419 - 04/12/14 08:07 PM Re: Yankee Joe Torre gives Pineda a pass! [Re: Josephus]
Frisco kid Offline

Loc: Constantia NY
Joe Torre is executive vice president of baseball operations for Major League Baseball.

#1444524 - 04/14/14 07:03 AM Re: Yankee Joe Torre gives Pineda a pass! [Re: SportsRef1]
SportsRef1 Offline

Originally Posted By: SportsRef1

Really Wedg...or would it just be you ranting because he beat the Red Sux......when you gonna learn who's really in charge....regardless if they win the title or not......LOL!

BTW Wedg...Yanks take 3 of 4 from the Sux.....sending them a little further into last place!

#1444536 - 04/14/14 10:46 AM Re: Yankee Joe Torre gives Pineda a pass! [Re: Frisco kid]
Josephus Offline
Silver Member

Originally Posted By: Frisco kid
Joe Torre is executive vice president of baseball operations for Major League Baseball.

Thanks Frisco. Didn't know that...

#1444538 - 04/14/14 10:48 AM Re: Yankee Joe Torre gives Pineda a pass! [Re: SportsRef1]
Josephus Offline
Silver Member

BTW Wedg...Yanks take 3 of 4 from the Sux.....sending them a little further into last place!

Relax, Sporty Spice. The season's barely two weeks old, and this is just the first outing of the Sox and the Yankers against one another. Let's wait a few more months, see who ends up on the DL and who doesn't, and see which team rises further to the top of the division before we bring out our crystal balls. wink

#1444929 - 04/17/14 12:12 AM Re: Yankee Joe Torre gives Pineda a pass! [Re: Josephus]
Big Floppy Offline

Loc: Boston
Ha Ha leave it to the Red Sox fan to whine and bitch about this. Funny how the Red Sox players had no problem with it. Wasn't it Lester who had something on his glove in last year's World Series? I believe so.

#1444946 - 04/17/14 10:18 AM Re: Yankee Joe Torre gives Pineda a pass! [Re: Big Floppy]
Josephus Offline
Silver Member

Originally Posted By: Big Floppy
Ha Ha leave it to the Red Sox fan to whine and bitch about this. Funny how the Red Sox players had no problem with it. Wasn't it Lester who had something on his glove in last year's World Series? I believe so.

Was that proven to be true? Was Lester ejected and penalized?

#1444979 - 04/17/14 04:55 PM Re: Yankee Joe Torre gives Pineda a pass! [Re: Josephus]
Big Floppy Offline

Nope and neither was Pineda. That's my point. But Red Sux fans were quick to jump on it. I would say that a green substance is a little more suspicious than brown which could have been dirt or rosen. Did anybody make a big deal about Lester? No. Nor should they have now. Did he shut them down after the substance was no longer visible? Yep! Just as he did again last night.

#1445316 - 04/21/14 08:44 AM Re: Yankee Joe Torre gives Pineda a pass! [Re: Josephus]
SportsRef1 Offline

Originally Posted By: Josephus
Originally Posted By: Big Floppy

Was that proven to be true? Was Lester ejected and penalized?

and neither was Pineda.............

#1445554 - 04/23/14 07:56 PM Re: Yankee Joe Torre gives Pineda a pass! [Re: SportsRef1]
Frisco kid Offline

Pineda ejected from tonights game for having pine tar on his neck.

#1445555 - 04/23/14 08:01 PM Re: Yankee Joe Torre gives Pineda a pass! [Re: wedggie]
wedggie Offline

"and neither was Pineda.........…." Hah! What"s funnier is listening to the homer broadcasters telling us the rules need to be changed……. NO!…….Joey G and his boys need to stop cheating!!!!

#1445557 - 04/23/14 08:06 PM Re: Yankee Joe Torre gives Pineda a pass! [Re: wedggie]
wedggie Offline

Wonder how YANKEE Joe toe will rule on this one……eh……..think I know… frown

#1445558 - 04/23/14 08:06 PM Re: Yankee Joe Torre gives Pineda a pass! [Re: Frisco kid]
Frisco kid Offline

Yankees starter Michael Pineda was ejected in the second because of an apparent foreign substance on his neck
http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-base...ine-tar-on-neck

#1445566 - 04/23/14 10:12 PM Re: Yankee Joe Torre gives Pineda a pass! [Re: wedggie]
Josephus Offline
Silver Member

I don't think the rules should be changed either. Part of the reason they made it illegal to put a foreign substance on the ball is because the ball eventually loses it's white color. A Cleveland player was killed by a pitch in 1920 because he couldn't see the dirty ball that was zeroing in on his head.

Ray Chapman

For me, at least part of the reasoning is a safety factor.

BTW... Gotta say that this episode makes Pineda look rather guilty in that last outing.

#1445569 - 04/23/14 11:35 PM Re: Yankee Joe Torre gives Pineda a pass! [Re: wedggie]
Big Floppy Offline

No doubt he was guilty. You don't need to study rocket science to realize that if you are suspected one game you don't come right back and do it again. And Wedgie... I know you have nothing else in your simple life but your love for the Red Sux and your hatred for the Yankees but let's not blame Joe G and the "rest of the boys" for something a few individuals do. After all everyone knows that he's not the only one doing this. He's just the stupid one who got caught. You better believe that Lester the molester and Clay Buckwad (and many others) do it too. But hey this gives you something else to talk about since you can't say much about that last place club.

#1445582 - 04/24/14 01:46 AM Re: Yankee Joe Torre gives Pineda a pass! [Re: wedggie]
young guns Offline

Loc: USA
Just another sad day for professional sports.

Colan Powell is to blame.LOL hey some buddy has to take the blame and it's always passed along to another,that's amerika
for yeah!

Remember when he said you never know what you can get away with unless you try it. Well in this case another one bites the dust. Real bad choice when a professional
has to resort to his short comings by cheating.
To me nothing is new. The whole friggin country is full of cheats,liars and so on.

#1445593 - 04/24/14 09:59 AM Re: Yankee Joe Torre gives Pineda a pass! [Re: young guns]
Josephus Offline
Silver Member

Originally Posted By: young guns
Just another sad day for professional sports.

Colan Powell is to blame.LOL hey some buddy has to take the blame and it's always passed along to another,that's amerika
for yeah!

Remember when he said you never know what you can get away with unless you try it. Well in this case another one bites the dust. Real bad choice when a professional
has to resort to his short comings by cheating.
To me nothing is new. The whole friggin country is full of cheats,liars and so on.

Unfortunately, you're right young guns. No where more apparent than baseball too, it appears. Baseball has always been a sport where you were expected to try and get away with cheating. But, when you get caught... you get caught. And in this case of touching up the ball, apparently EVERYONE does it... especially in cold weather. Doesn't make it right though. The sports casters last night were thinking that maybe something else should be kept on the pitchers mound besides the rosin bag. The rosin bag helps to take away moisture when you sweat in hot weather. Maybe something is needed to actually add a little moisture? If they put it out there, it's legal for everyone and the hitters will probably feel a little safer.

#1445649 - 04/24/14 11:12 PM Re: Yankee Joe Torre gives Pineda a pass! [Re: Josephus]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Ship of Fools
Quote:
The rosin bag helps to take away moisture when you sweat in hot weather.

It is used to increase friction and grip, the same as on a violin bow. It is made from pine tree oleo-resin, aka crude turpentine; I'd be surprised if it absorbs moisture. I've got a lump here on my desk that is probably 75 years old. It's as good as new, and doesn't look too moist.

Violin bows use horsehair, and some strings are gut; you wouldn't use anything on them that absorbs much moisture.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >