FingerLakes1.com Forums
Topic Options
#1439372 - 03/08/14 02:52 PM Snowplow drivers have a right to destroy property
Ms Lady Offline

Loc: NY
My mailbox has been standing for over ten years and this year the snowplow driver hit it and destroyed it. I called about it and no one responed. I paid $150.00 for a custome made mailbox with a light. The county will not replace it. I took pictures of the swing in that he took to knock it down but I have to replace it myself. Does anyone else have this problem?

Edited by Ms Lady (03/08/14 02:53 PM)

FingerLakes1.com
#1439435 - 03/09/14 08:29 AM Re: Snowplow drivers have a right to destroy property [Re: Ms Lady]
Ranger Online   content
Diamond Member

Loc: GOD's 1/2 acre
That because no one cares anymore! It's just the way it is. You should see what the delivery trucks do to my lawn every Spring. There's plenty of driveway and room to turn around it's just they don't care or show any respect of your property. Sorry to hear of your woes. Count yourself lucky it's lasted as long as it did.

#1439501 - 03/09/14 05:40 PM Re: Snowplow drivers have a right to destroy property [Re: Ms Lady]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Ship of Fools
My folks built a house on State Rte 89 in 1957. As far as I know, they were lucky, and never lost a box to a plow. I moved back in in '89, and lost 3 boxes in about 5-6 years. I've been told that on county roads, the county will replace a box, but the Vampire State will not; I checked. I gave up and moved the box across the road, and behind the guard rail. It was more inconvenient for me, and less safe, it being harder to jump for the ditch if traffic looked like it was going to get too close, as when two cars were passing, opposite directions, right in front of me, and watching the oncoming speeding steel more than they were watching me (I always watched, ready to fall back, over the rail), but at least I didn't lose any more boxes.

I'm in Dryden Village now, but we have road mailboxes. Last year, the Town, which also plows the Village, took out our box. It was replaced in time for mail the next day, without our saying a word to them (we didn't even see who knocked it down, although we guessed correctly) and they replaced our econo pipe mailbox stand kit with treated 4"x4" upright, horizontal, and 45 degree brace.

Decentralized, smaller gov't units are better. With 19 million citizens, my vote didn't really matter, to the state. In the Town of Dryden, with 14,500 pop, and Dryden Village being the biggest municipality, the elected Highway Sup gives a little more thought to whether I'm happy. I'm happy, and he's a very good man. smile

#1439567 - 03/10/14 12:07 PM Re: Snowplow drivers have a right to destroy property [Re: Ms Lady]
Rich_Tallcot Offline

Loc: Greeneville, TN
When I worked for the Village of Union Springs we would replace mail boxes we hit unless they were too close to the road. I hit one once that was mounted in a milk can that had been moved onto the blacktop. No replacement, but no real damage either.

The State really doesn't care.

#1439607 - 03/10/14 04:51 PM Re: Snowplow drivers have a right to destroy property [Re: Ms Lady]
Bill Gabrial Offline

Loc: Florida gulf coast
what, you people think the 'Vampire State' has the manpower, money, and resources to fix mail boxes? you think it's easy plowing roads trying to avoid cars, buggies, and worry about a mailbox. I'd rather have to fix/replace my mailbox than watch emergency vehicles tarp a car or buggy. you complain about the snow, the lack of plowed roads, too much OT, too much salt, not enough salt. they can't win.

#1439621 - 03/10/14 08:16 PM Re: Snowplow drivers have a right to destroy property [Re: Bill Gabrial]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Quote:
what, you people think the 'Vampire State' has the manpower, money, and resources to fix mail boxes?

Actually, I don't think so. The Vampire State has only the manpower and equipment needed to destroy the mailboxes. It is the local governments which will replace them.

#1439791 - 03/12/14 07:46 PM Re: Snowplow drivers have a right to destroy property [Re: Ms Lady]
Bill Gabrial Offline

Loc: Florida gulf coast
anybody worried about their mailboxes today?

#1439797 - 03/12/14 07:59 PM Re: Snowplow drivers have a right to destroy property [Re: Bill Gabrial]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Not at all. If Dryden knocks it down, Dryden will replace it. Not all governments are equally bad.