FingerLakes1.com Forums
Topic Options
#1439362 --- 03/08/14 12:16 PM Ice Fishing
Spanky Offline

Loc: Seneca Falls NY Seneca
How has the ice fishing been this year? Cold as it has been, the ice should have been good and safe. Last time I went ice fishing was when I tried to fish the olive out of the bottom of my martini glass.

FingerLakes1.com
#1439365 --- 03/08/14 12:32 PM Re: Ice Fishing [Re: Spanky]
driver21 Offline

Loc: NY/Seneca
Can't say about the quality of the fishing, but the ice is plentiful. On Cayuga, yesterday, there were people ou a half to three quarters of a mile. Either they were doing well, or just like freezing their @$#&*! off.

#1439382 --- 03/08/14 03:10 PM Re: Ice Fishing [Re: Spanky]
A Better SF Offline

Loc: Seneca Falls
Originally Posted By: Spanky
How has the ice fishing been this year? Cold as it has been, the ice should have been good and safe. Last time I went ice fishing was when I tried to fish the olive out of the bottom of my martini glass.

Ha - now THAT is my idea of ice fishing smile

#1439385 --- 03/08/14 03:33 PM Re: Ice Fishing [Re: driver21]
kyle585 Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Somewhere out there
Originally Posted By: driver21
Can't say about the quality of the fishing, but the ice is plentiful. On Cayuga, yesterday, there were people ou a half to three quarters of a mile. Either they were doing well, or just like freezing their @$#&*! off.
Ice conditions change very rapidly. It was only a couple of years ago that the Red Jacket Fire Department had to go out and rescue a bunch of them.

#1439388 --- 03/08/14 03:50 PM Re: Ice Fishing [Re: kyle585]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Ship of Fools
And not so many years before that, CB lost his son out there.

#1439392 --- 03/08/14 04:09 PM Re: Ice Fishing [Re: Spanky]
driver21 Offline

Loc: NY/Seneca
I really love fishing, but why go out on the ice, freeze, just to catch fish that will freeze, when there are a plethora of frozen fish in local store coolers? I know, I know....it's not the same! But frozen store bought fish is fine as long as my caboose and the rest of me is warm.

#1439403 --- 03/08/14 04:59 PM Re: Ice Fishing [Re: driver21]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Ship of Fools
Some will put a shelter, sometimes 8'x8', say, with a heating/cooking stove, out there, and just keep an eye on the distributed tipups, and have a hole right in the shelter for hand jigging.

Kraut's is nice enough so that the assessor mistakenly assessed it as a storage or outbuilding, until he straightened her out. He had it stored in his side yard.

From cold water, the fish taste better. And it's not just the fishing; it's a social gathering.

#1439410 --- 03/08/14 06:27 PM Re: Ice Fishing [Re: Spanky]
Spanky Offline

Loc: Seneca Falls NY Seneca
Yes Kyle, I was working on North Seneca Ambulance when 14 people dropped down through the ice that day. Thank Heavens all were O.K., though a little wet. The old Red Jacket F.D. did a great job of getting everyone to shore, Even had the State Police helicopter overhead looking for people, and telling them to get off the ice. We wraped them in blankets and told them to take off their wet cloths. Some didn't to do it, but the lady techs told them to strip. A few good laughs from that day.

#1440847 --- 03/22/14 12:54 PM Re: Ice Fishing [Re: Spanky]
Timbo Offline
Silver Member

Loc: CNY
Originally Posted By: Spanky
Yes Kyle, I was working on North Seneca Ambulance when 14 people dropped down through the ice that day. Thank Heavens all were O.K., though a little wet. The old Red Jacket F.D. did a great job of getting everyone to shore, Even had the State Police helicopter overhead looking for people, and telling them to get off the ice. We wraped them in blankets and told them to take off their wet cloths. Some didn't to do it, but the lady techs told them to strip. A few good laughs from that day.

Wow! That could have gone seriously wrong, very quickly.

As a teenager, I fell through the ice up to my neck. I managed to drag myself out and make it to shore in spite of my legs being rendered totally useless from hypoxic shock. I was alone and had to swing my numbed legs one in front of the other to make the 3/4 mile trek in a blustery storm and spent the rest of the night in violent spastic shakes.

Young, dumb and VERY lucky that night.