FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#1439083 --- 03/05/14 09:50 PM The Poisoning of our Food System
MissingArty Offline

Loc: Waterloo, NY
Good article.

March 5, 2014

"The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is not protecting our food supply. The FDA takes its orders from congress, and no amount of lobbying by the people has an effect upon the agency. Congress, being heavily lobbied by the chemical industry, has made numerous changes and exceptions to the laws in favor of the chemical companies. The following chronology of events shows that, although the U.S. government has taken steps to ensure the safety of our food supply, there has been an increasing acceptance of poisonous additives to our food. A little here and a little there won't hurt us, right?"

http://www.examiner.com/article/the-poisoning-of-our-food-supply

FingerLakes1.com
#1439927 --- 03/14/14 01:33 AM Re: The Poisoning of our Food System [Re: MissingArty]
MissingArty Offline

NY's GMO Labeling Champion Assemblywoman Linda B. Rosenthal says there are anti-GMO labeling lobbyists prowling the halls of our state capitol and sarcastically wonders why they're not talking to her. The answer is because the sponsor of bill A.3525 is incorruptible!

#1442005 --- 03/28/14 08:02 AM Re: The Poisoning of our Food System [Re: MissingArty]
Geedog Offline

Loc: NY
"This demonstrates that Roundup Ready GM-soybeans sprayed during the growing season take up and accumulate glyphosate and AMPA. Further, what has been considered a working hypothesis for herbicide tolerant crops, i.e. that, as resistant weeds have spread:

“there is a theoretical possibility that also the level of residues of the herbicide and its metabolites may have increased” (Kleter et al. 2011) is now shown to be actually happening."

How “Extreme Levels” of Roundup in Food Became the Industry Norm

#1442179 --- 03/29/14 11:38 AM Re: The Poisoning of our Food System [Re: MissingArty]
twocats Offline
Silver Member

Loc: NYS
I read an article last night about the rather recent dramatic increase in hospitalizations due to food allergies. There is much speculation as to the cause, but no data to support any theories....yet.

#1442183 --- 03/29/14 11:50 AM Re: The Poisoning of our Food System [Re: twocats]
twocats Offline
Silver Member

Here's a quick stat:

From 1997 to 2007, the prevalence of reported food allergy increased 18% among children under age 18 years.

#1442226 --- 03/29/14 10:47 PM Re: The Poisoning of our Food System [Re: twocats]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Ship of Fools
This is a funny and informative vid!

http://www.thedailysheeple.com/what-food-ads-would-say-if-they-were-honest-parody_032014

Question: Is every American relationship like this? Please don't ask me why I think this may be true. If I were to answer truthfully, the one whose health I care about as much as my own might well ram a popsi...oh, never mind. grin

#1442231 --- 03/30/14 01:40 AM Re: The Poisoning of our Food System [Re: VM Smith]
twocats Offline
Silver Member

Originally Posted By: VM Smith
Question: Is every American relationship like this? Please don't ask me why I think this may be true. grin

Answer: I think many more are like this:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-4EDhdAHrOg

#1442372 --- 03/30/14 10:17 PM Re: The Poisoning of our Food System [Re: MissingArty]
MissingArty Offline

Hi,

I am the Campaign Director of GMO Free NY (www.gmofreeny.net and www.facebook.com/GMOFreeNYnet). Our mission is to advocate for the passage of a GMO labeling law in NYS. We are a founding member of the NY GE Food Labeling Campaign

(http://gmofreeny.net/nygelabelingcampaign.html).

GMO labels will give us the information we need to decide whether we want to continue being the unwitting guinea pigs of agrichemical and junk food companies. GMO labels will put the power back in consumers' hands, which is where it belongs. It's time for NY's lawmakers to stand up to corporate bullying and put people before profits.

That's why I signed a petition to The New York State House, The New York State Senate, and Governor Andrew Cuomo, which says:

"Dear Governor Cuomo, New York State Senators, and Assemblymembers:

I have a right to know what is in my food. Genetically engineered foods (GMO foods) are pervasive in the U.S. food system yet largely untested, possibly harmful for humans to eat, and unlabeled. I deserve the right to be able to make informed choices when choosing foods to buy for myself and my family. I urge you to stand up for my rights as an American and support (and cosponsor) Assembly bill A.3525 and Senate bill S.3835, which would require the labeling of genetically engineered foods offered for retail sale in New York. "

Will you sign the petition too? Click here to add your name:

http://petitions.moveon.org/sign/make-gmo-food-labeling?source=s.fwd&r_by=7091125

Thanks! Stacie Orelle

#1442386 --- 03/31/14 01:18 AM Re: The Poisoning of our Food System [Re: MissingArty]
MissingArty Offline

#1442387 --- 03/31/14 01:23 AM Re: The Poisoning of our Food System [Re: MissingArty]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Quote:
I deserve the right to be able to make informed choices when choosing foods to buy for myself and my family. I urge you to stand up for my rights as an American

I signed, but that's not an American right; it's a human right.

#1442389 --- 03/31/14 01:33 AM Re: The Poisoning of our Food System [Re: twocats]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Quote:
I think many more are like this:

There sure are! The question often comes down to: Try to pull the nail, or just give up and flee?

#1443585 --- 04/07/14 05:15 AM Re: The Poisoning of our Food System [Re: MissingArty]
MissingArty Offline

Koch Industries and Monsanto Team up to End Your Right to Know

April 3rd, 2014

http://www.centerforfoodsafety.org/press...r-right-to-know

#1452478 --- 07/02/14 07:01 AM Re: The Poisoning of our Food System [Re: MissingArty]
cwjga Offline

It Does Not Pay to Bad Mouth Farmers

Gary Truitt
May 18, 2014
Gary Truitt

Cause and effect is an easy thing to say but a difficult thing to prove. For example, an extremely cold winter does not mean a new ice age is coming; or back to back droughts do not mean global warming is real; or because bees are dying that a particular pesticide is to blame. Yet our government, the media, many scientists, and people in general are quick to jump to the assumption that because 2 things happen at the same time, one is causing the other. Thus, what I am about to suggest may not have a cause and effect relationship — but, then again, it just might.

Two years ago the restaurant chain Chipotle Mexican Grill embarked on a marketing strategy to set themselves apart and drive business from the lucrative millennial generation. Their campaign was to claim their food was better, safer, and healthier because it came from local, organic, and humane sources. Furthermore, they portrayed food that came from other sources as bad. They used very creative and aggressive commercials to make their point. These commercial videos offended and outraged the traditional ag community. The protestations of ag bloggers and farm groups fell on deaf ears as Chipotle stock rose and sales increased.

The farmers that Chipotle was so quick to disparage may have the last laugh. Things are not going to well for Chipotle Mexican Grill. Chipotle’s stock shares have fallen 7% to $495.92. In addition, last Thursday 77% of shareholders voted against the company’s executive pay plan. The result will prompt a full review of how much Chipotle pays its top executives and how its compensation packages are structured. Last year, Chipotle co-CEO Steve Ells’ total compensation was $25.1 million, while his counterpart, co-CEO Monty Moran, received $24.4 million. The company’s chief financial officer took in $9.9 million, and the chief marketing officer got $5.9 million. Wall Street analysts say Chipotle’s top management earn 5 times more than top execs in other similar restaurant chains.

Another restaurant chain that has attempted to gain market share by bashing farmers is Panera Bread. But here, too, the financial news has not been good. Panera Bread’s first-quarter results disappointed investors, especially when it announced that same-store sales rose only 0.1% systemwide. Panera has seen their shares fall almost 12% in the past year. If you remember, top Panera officials angered the ag community when they referred to farmers who use biotechnology as “lazy.”

One major food chain that has not bashed farmers but instead works with farmers and farm groups has seen significant growth and financial success. McDonald’s has seen its profits improve and its stock increase by over 7%. The company has also boosted its annual sales per share every year for the past 10 years. That is a very impressive track record. Dodge Ram truck, which swelled the heads of farmers with their “God Made A Farmer” ad, has also had good fortune, being named Motor Trend’s Truck of the Year in 2014. Sales of Ram trucks in April were up 17% over a year ago.

So, to sum up, brands that have negative messages about farmers find themselves in some financial difficulty, while those who work with and support farmers have success. Cause and effect? Well, I can’t say. It is an interesting coincidence and one that top executives in the food industry might want to consider before they start bashing farmers.

By Gary Truitt

#1459338 --- 09/17/14 09:43 PM Re: The Poisoning of our Food System [Re: MissingArty]
MissingArty Offline

You are completely WRONG! Chipotle's business is BOOMING! They've had to look to other countries to get non gmo meat because they can't get enough in the USA to meet their needs for all their restaurants.

Farmers and Monsanto are scared and they should be. As more people understand genetic modification of seed and the skyrocketing rates in illness, especially in our children, gmo farmers and Monsanto will be on the losing end.

America's moms and dads are waking up and learning what has changed in the food system; the who, how and why.

Parents, check out Moms Across America's website and view the videos from the parents who have healed their kids or themselves of illnesses and allergies just by eating organic food (organic just means it's real food). Research for yourself. Do not take the word of a politician, doctor, public health official, any US government agency, any US corporation and especially a gmo farmer.

Don't let these crooks decide for you. It's just like the fracking, politicians got paid off, corporations got their way. This has been going on since 1994, right under your nose and in your grocery stores since 1996.

DO NOT GIVE UP YOUR RIGHT TO DECIDE FOR YOUR OWN FAMILIES.
http://action.responsibletechnology.org/...94#.VBpFt410yAK

http://www.momsacrossamerica.com/zenhoneycutt/mom_s_testimonials

#1459356 --- 09/18/14 12:16 PM Re: The Poisoning of our Food System [Re: MissingArty]
cwjga Offline

Because Chipolte isn't a big corporation trying to get you to buy their product. wink

A more truthful Ad http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/da66b8f1aa/honest-scarecrow

Don't worry cannabis is good for you wink

According to Chipotle's website, all soy bean oil and corn products contain GMOs. That doesn't sound so bad, except that Chipotle chicken, steak, fajita vegetables, rice, tortilla chips, and tortillas all contain one or both of these items.

Chipotle's definition for "locally sourced" means that an ingredient was grown no more than 350 miles from a restaurant—which is 50 miles closer than the USDA recommendation—a worthy goal. But right now, the only locally sourced ingredients at Chipotle are onions, avocados, peppers, tomatoes, jalapenos, and cilantro—all of which are mixed with nonlocal items to produce the items you see on the menu.

#1459401 --- 09/19/14 10:10 AM Re: The Poisoning of our Food System [Re: cwjga]
cwjga Offline

So you can keep buying the slick marketing of firms like Chipolte, if you don't want to eat GMO's just have your sources label them as such. Just stop the fear-mongering that is based on nothing scientific.

The Debate About GMO Safety Is Over, Thanks To A New Trillion-Meal Study

#1459413 --- 09/19/14 07:19 PM Re: The Poisoning of our Food System [Re: MissingArty]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Nice post. I just started buying grass fed, grass finished beef. No antibiotics, no hormones, no gm feed. Best I've ever had!

The Making of an Agribusiness Apologist
—By Tom Philpott| Fri Feb. 24, 2012 4:18 PM EST

Earlier this month, Forbes.com published an op-ed by Jon Entine in which he purported to debunk Dashka Slater's must-read recent Mother Jones profile of Tyrone Hayes, the UC Berkeley professor who found that tiny doses of the widely used herbicide atrazine affects frogs' sexual development.

Entine, who describes himself as an "author, think tank scholar, leadership and sustainability consultant, media commentator, and public speaker on the DNA of human behavior," accused Slater of blatantly overstating the dangers of atrazine, which shows up at low levels in drinking water in farming-intensive areas in the Midwest and South. According to Entine, as it's currently used on American fields, atrazine poses no risks to people or farms. Entine called out Mother Jones for promoting "End of Days hysteria" and displaying "a devastating lack of respect for science." Now, Entine's critique of the science indicting atrazine is sophisticated and deserves to be answered. I have written critically about atrazine before, and much of Entine's critique of Slater's piece applies to my work as well. I'll be digging into that in a forthcoming post.

Advertise on MotherJones.com

But what caught my eye about Entine's post in the first place is that his name had shown up in a recent report by the Center for Media and Democracy (part one, part two) about the efforts of Syngenta, the globe's largest agribusiness firm and the maker of atrazine, to protect its lucrative chemical from possible regulatory action by the Environmental Protection Agency. EPA is currently reviewing the herbicide's registration. Last year, a panel of independent scientists convened by the EPA recommended that the agency revise its assumption that atrazine is "unlikely to cause cancer." Pointing to what it called "strong" epidemiological evidence linking atrazine to thyroid cancer, the panel states that the agency is currently acting with "inadequate information to assess carcinogenic potential." The European Union banned atrazine in 2004, based mainly on its tendency to run off into drinking water. A similar move by the EPA would cut into Syngenta's profits in the United States, where atrazine sells briskly as an herbicide for our massive corn crop.

The CMD's report is based on Syngenta documents that show how the company's PR operation has tried to influence news coverage—while also keeping tabs on journalists who have reported on atrazine's potential health risks. These internal documents, according to CMD, expose the company's campaign "to influence the media, potential jurors, potential plaintiffs, farmers, politicians, scientists, and the Environmental Protection Agency." One Syngenta document reveals that in 2009, the company toyed with the idea of obtaining "the services of a well-know [sic] investigative reporter to probe around the EPA…At the very minimum to utilize the advice of an Investigative Reporter to council [sic] us on what buttons to push and cages to rattle."

Jon Entine: Wikimedia Commons
Jon Entine: "author, think tank scholar, leadership and sustainability consultant, media commentator, and public speaker on the DNA of human behavior" Wikimedia Commons
Entine turned up in the Center for Media and Democracy's investigation because last year he authored a book, published and promoted by the American Council on Science and Health, called Scared to Death: How Chemophobia Threatens Public Health. "In response to the growing level of chemophobia—the irrational fear of chemicals—among the American public, ACSH compiled this resource book and position to educate legislators, industry, media, consumers and parents on the actual risks of chemical exposure and use in everyday products," a press release for the book states. The book mounts a brief (nearly 30 of its 120 pages are bibliography) yet vigorous defense of industrial and agricultural chemical use, backed up by two case studies, one of which is on atrazine.

Syngenta has funded the American Council on Science and Health, CMD found. An email dated August 28, 2009 (PDF) from ACSH's executive director to his "Syngenta friends" refers to the "general operating support Syngenta has been so generously providing over the years, which we request to continue at current or increased levels." It adds: "Such general operating support is the lifeblood of a small non-profit like ours, and is both deeply appreciated and much needed." The letter doesn't specify the level at which the company has supported ACSH. The organization, according to CMD, has annual revenues of more than $2 million a year; its president, the high-profile pro-agrichemical polemicist Elizabeth Whelan, draws a salary of $350,000.

The ACSH email to Syngenta stated that "separate and distinct" from Syngenta's operating support, the group was seeking funding for a paper on the "general subject of pesticide exposure and consumer health." The paper, the budget for which ACSH put at $100,000, wouldn't focus exclusively on atrazine, but the "recent and ongoing 'controversy'" over Syngenta's herbicide would be a "primary focus." The email went out less than a week after the New York Times ran an investigative piece on the presence of atrazine in Midwestern drinking water and shortly after the Natural Resources Defense Council released a report (PDF) called "Poisoning the Well: How the EPA is Ignoring Atrazine Contamination of Drinking and Surface Water in the Central United States." ACSH said it would "consumerize" its pro-atrazine paper into a "consumer-friendly booklet," which then would be widely distributed to media, and "used as the basis for Op-eds, letters to the editor, media appearances, etc."

CMD's investigation does not establish whether ACSH ever got Syngenta funding for that project. But CMD raises the possibility that Entine's slim volume Scared to Death might be the very booklet that ACSH's executive director envisioned in his letter to Syngenta. Entine flat-out denied this suggestion in an email exchange. "Syngenta is not a client and never has been. I have no clients in the agricultural or chemicals businesses," he wrote. As for publishing a book with the Syngenta-funded ACSH, Entine responded:

No relationship with ACSH. I read a draft of an early version of a manuscript on chemical risk and thought it wasn't balanced—too critical of advocacy groups. They asked if I would write a new one. I said yes only if I had complete editorial independence. They agree. [sic] After publication I declined to be involved in any PR involving it. I hold the copyright not ACSH.

He added that he had "no idea" that ACSH had received Syngenta cash until he read the CMD story.

Though he denies being a hired gun for Syngenta, Entine cuts an odd figure as an independent ally of atrazine. Since 2003, he has been listed as a visiting fellow at the American Enterprise Institute, the pro-business, anti-regulation think tank. Entine told me that he organized a 2009 conference on pesticides for AEI, moderating a panel featuring a Syngenta researcher; a rep from Croplife America, the main agrichemical industry lobbying group; and prominent pesticide critic Jay Feldman of Beyond Pesticides. Despite his affiliation, Entine said his title with AEI is "honorific." He explained in an email, "I don't work for AEI. I get zero dollars from AEI."

caption TK: USGS
Something in the water: Predicted Atrazine occurrence in shallow ground water in farming areas US Geological Survey
Entine also runs a consultancy, ESG MediaMetrics. The firm's homepage lists Monsanto as a "select client." Among its "core services," it lists "Media strategy, writing, speechwriting, and engagement with critics." Describing its media services, it declares, "We manage and create reputations. We bring to every challenge our vast experience as active journalists, public relations and media specialists, international scholars, and advisers for Fortune 500 corporations." On the bio of personal web page, Entine has this to say about ESG MediaMetrics: The group "advises corporations and NGOs on Environmental, Social, and Governance issues, and on brand reputation and strategic communications." It adds: "Recent clients have included KKR, The Carlyle Group, The Alliance of Merger and Acquisition Advisors, The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, P&G, American Greetings, Monsanto, DHL/Deutsche Post and Nicor."

However, when I referred to ESG MediaMetrics as a PR firm in an email to Entine, he objected forcefully:

I consult with organizations, from fair trade groups to the Environmental Defense Fund to corporations. I'm committed to science. I do no corporate PR work. You can misrepresent what I do and call it PR work, but that would be deceitful. People who do what I do are generally called "green consultants," which I'm sure you'd never use as then I'd seem like a good guy and it's much easier to put people and what they do in neat little boxes that prevent real thinking.

As for listing Monsanto as a client on the ESG website, Entine wrote: "Nine years ago, I did a $2000 research project for v-Fluence, a social media company formed by former Monsanto executives. That's the entirety of my Monsanto relationship."

To hear Entine tell it, his defenses of atrazine and other pesticides are entirely pro bono and driven by his own initiative. He told me he gets "almost all" of his income from the Genetic Literacy Project, which, he added, is funded by what he called the Templeton and Searle foundations. The project is housed at the Statistical Assessment Service program at George Mason University, where Entine is a fellow. Though Entine would not specify which Searle trust funded the GLP, the Searle Freedom Trust's 2010 tax form lists a $154,000 grant to STATS for a "Gene Policy and Science Literacy Project," which sounds an awful lot like Entine's. Founded by pharmaceutical and Nutrasweet magnate Daniel C. Searle, the Searle Freedom Trust funds all manner of conservative and free-market think tanks, including the Manhattan and Heartland Institutes.

According to an earlier version of the Genetic Literacy Project's website, it "fosters dialogue about the scientific, social and ethical implications of genetic technologies…It respects the uncertainties inherent in science but is grounded in the belief that genomic research is an engine of innovation and job creation." But the site included almost no information about what the project actually does. A "news" tab opened a page featuring links to several Entine op-eds on topics that have nothing to do with genetics: pieces defending plastics, fracking, atrazine, and BPA.

Entine had an explanation for this, too:

Until I got your email, I had no idea that the holding site for GLP had ANY articles on it, as it's supposed to just be a single page, and I haven't looked at it in a year. It's supposed to just have a summary…and as of later this afternoon [Feb. 16] it will only have that until the full GLP site goes up in a few weeks, as I just called the webmaster, who apparently had been rotely posting some of my articles.

And indeed, the GLP website has been reduced to a stub; the links I provided above are to archived pages. The real Genetic Literacy Project site will be brimming with information about genetic science and related social issues, Entine assured me. "Unlike advocacy genetic sites," he added, "it will not have a specifically pro or anti genetics agenda. It's meant to be a transparent information site for policy and media people."

But then again, according to Entine, neither he himself, nor the organizations he affiliates with, ever have an agenda. At one point in our correspondence, I asked him about the famously right-wing, pro-corporate American Enterprise Institute. "I don't know your beef with AEI, but anybody who affiliates with them is totally independent," he wrote. "I'm an Obama Democrat and there are many non-ideologues there."

#1460039 --- 09/29/14 02:13 PM Re: The Poisoning of our Food System [Re: MissingArty]
MissingArty Offline

Well, you just keep eating them gmo's.

"“To date we have eliminated virtually all of the G.M.O. ingredients in our food,” Ells recently told Food Business News. “Our corn and flour tortillas are the only foods we currently serve that are made using ingredients that contain or could contain trace amounts of G.M.O.s, and now we are testing new non-G.M.O. recipes for these tortillas and we hope to be able to roll them out by the end of the year.”

http://www.organicauthority.com/chipotle-menu-now-practically-100-percent-gmo-free/

Regarding your reference to junk science.

"Scientists for Sale"

http://www.hulu.com/watch/688124#play-queued-show-by-original_premiere_date-asc

#1460043 --- 09/29/14 03:11 PM Re: The Poisoning of our Food System [Re: MissingArty]
MissingArty Offline

My post from Health & Wellness:

Well, since you know-it-all, why don't you provide some legitimate sources, science by someone other than the corporation pushing the poison.

Dr. Oz's name has been hijacked by many companies trying to sell you their garbage. He states this fact and also references you to a list of "trusted partners" at the end of many of his shows. "Trusted partners" means products he has endorsed. If you had watched the segment I provided a link for, you would have seen that. BTW, FYI, I don't buy any of his products and I only watch his show when there is a subject matter I'm interested in.

Stupid is as stupid does or in your case, you are an employee of a Big Ag, Big Pharma, etc. and you are protecting your paycheck. You might want to look into further education as you are losing and you know it. (Btw, anyone been visited by their friendly pharmacy lately pushing refills? I have several times so I switched to a one man pharmacy.)

All you have are bullying tactics and stupid comments to try to shut the people up. You guys picked a good county/area of NY. Most people don't care and I guess you know that. There are so many people like you that ruin a good conversation that no one wants to even read these forums.

I care. You can't shut me up. Come on, bring it on. Give me all that great science that GMO food is safe for the residents of the eight counties that this website covers.

Americans are waking up. Grandparents and Grandfriends know that kids didn't have all these illnesses when we were growing up. Oh, I'll bet you'd say if there was something wrong with the food our doctors would tell us. Yea, right. No sick people, no money.

Forum folks, please do not let people like this deter you from getting important information that you need to know about. Put them on ignore. There are honest scientists and researchers that are trying to warn you what has been done to you and your children. (Warning, the troll will post bullying comments about these scientists. This is the only course of action they have left. I have a really good example of this, I'll post the link when I find it.)

For those of you interested, let's start with your government. You trust them to protect you, your food, right? Sorry, your government betrayed you.

http://action.responsibletechnology.org/...94#.VCm3pY10z3i

The producer of Genetic Roulette on Thom Hartmann's The Big Picture (really great show btw if you want to know what really is going on in the USA.)

http://www.responsibletechnology.org/posts/category/video/

Remember all those news reports you heard on mainstream media (MSM)? Eggs are bad for you, now they're good for you. Use Canola oil, it's healthier.

"Scientists for Sale" "Masters of hustling science."

http://www.hulu.com/watch/688124#play-queued-show-by-original_premiere_date-asc

#1460049 --- 09/29/14 04:02 PM Re: The Poisoning of our Food System [Re: MissingArty]
cwjga Offline

Peer Reviewed Publications on the Safety of GM Foods

Results of a search of the PubMed database for publications on feeding studies for GM crops.

By Dr. Christopher Preston,
Senior Lecturer in Weed Management,
University of Adelaide;
christopher.preston@adelaide.edu.au

Introduction

There has been considerable recent comment on the lack of peer-reviewed scientific studies on the effect of GM food and feed on livestock, other animals and humans. A report by Pryme and Lembcke (2003) described 10 such studies. This report and the small number of studies is often quoted by groups opposed to the use of GM crops as justification for banning their use in the food chain. To determine the current state of the literature, I conducted a search of the PubMed database for publications on this topic.

Methods

The search strategy I used included the search terms (genetically and modified and food) coupled with crop species with known genetic modifications, including maize, soybean, canola, cotton, potatoes, tomatoes and peas. Searches also included the word transgenic instead of genetically and modified. A large number of hits were obtained by this search strategy, with most having little or nothing to do with GM food tests.

I collected papers that had:

1. An abstract in PubMed;

2. Were a research publication, not a review or commentary

3. Reported a feeding study involving food or food products from GM crops (not purified proteins from other sources such as bacteria or other GM products) in the abstract;

4. Test subjects were mammals, birds or fish; and 5. Reported at least one measure of comparison with non-GM food.

Results

In all, 42 publications abstracted in PubMed passed these tests. The search strategy extracted most of the studies covered by Pryme and Lembcke (2003). The ones absent were not apparently abstracted in PubMed (e.g. Pusztai 1998) or were reviews (Pusztai 2002). My search uncovered several publications between 1999 and 2001 that were not captured by Pryme and Lembcke (2003).

Of the 42 publications, most examined the effects of feeding GM crop products to livestock including cattle, pigs and poultry. A smaller number examined effects on rats and mice with two on fish. As reported in the abstracts of the publications, 36 studies found no significant effect of GM crop products on the parameters measured or concluded GM and non-GM products were equivalent. Four studies reported a positive effect of the GM feed (however, two of these were GM plants engineered for improved food quality) and two reported negative effects. The studies reporting negative effects were published in 1998 and 1999 (references 3 and 4 in the list). Since 2000, 35 publications have reported no important differences or positive effects of feeding GM crops.

Almost two thirds (27) the publications extracted from the database have been published since 2002. Many of these examined the potential effects of GM crop on livestock performance and were clearly aimed at determining whether the reports of dangers of GM crops to livestock in the press were true.

Conclusions

There are at least 42 publications extractable from the PubMed database that describe research reports of feeding studies of GM feed or food products derived from GM crops. The overwhelming majority of publications report that GM feed and food produced no significant differences in the test animals. The two studies reporting negative results were published in 1998 and 1999 and no confirmation of these effects have since been published. Many studies have been published since 2002 and all have reported no negative impact of feeding GM feed to the test species.

References

Pryme, IF, Lembcke R. 2003. In vivo studies on possible health consequences of genetically modified food and feed - with particular regard to ingredients consisting of genetically modified plant material.

Nutr Health 17:1-8.

Pusztai A. 1998. SOAFED flexible fund project RO818 (cited in Pryme and Lembcke 2003).

Psztai A. 2002. Can science give us the tools for recognizing possible health risks of GM food'? Nutr. Health 16:73-84.

Appendix

List of publications collected from PubMed by year.

1. Hammond BG, Vicini JL, Hartnell GF, Naylor MW, Knight CD, Robinson EH, Fuchs RL, Padgette SR. 1996 The feeding value of soybeans fed to rats, chickens, catfish and dairy cattle is not altered by genetic incorporation of glyphosate tolerance. J Nutr. 126:717-27.

2. Brake J, Vlachos D. 1998 Evaluation of transgenic event 176 "Bt" corn in broiler chickens. Poult Sci. 77:648-53.

3. Fares NH, El-Sayed AK. 1998 Fine structural changes in the ileum of mice fed on delta-endotoxin-treated potatoes and transgenic potatoes. Nat Toxins. 6:219-33.

4. Ewen SW, Pusztai A. 1999 Effect of diets containing genetically modified potatoes expressing Galanthus nivalis lectin on rat small intestine. Lancet. 354:1353-4.

5. Hashimoto W, Momma K, Yoon HJ, Ozawa S, Ohkawa Y, Ishige T, Kito M, Utsumi S, Murata K. 1999 Safety assessment of transgenic potatoes with soybean glycinin by feeding studies in rats. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 63:1942-6.

6. Pusztai A, Bardocz GG, Alonso R, Chrispeels MJ, Schroeder HE, Tabe LM, Higgins TJ. 1999 Expression of the insecticidal bean alpha-amylase inhibitor transgene has minimal detrimental effect on the nutritional value of peas fed to rats at 30% of the diet. J Nutr. 129:1597-603.

7. Tutel'ian VA, Kravchenko LV, Lashneva NV, Avren'eva LI, Guseva GV, Sorokina EIu, Chernysheva ON 1999 [Medical and biological evaluation of safety of protein concentrate from genetically-modified soybeans. Biochemical studies] [Article in Russian]. Vopr Pitan. 68:9-12.

8. Momma K, Hashimoto W, Yoon HJ, Ozawa S, Fukuda Y, Kawai S, Takaiwa F, Utsumi S, Murata K. 2000 Safety assessment of rice genetically modified with soybean glycinin by feeding studies on rats. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 64:1881-6.

9. Palombo JD, DeMichele SJ, Liu JW, Bistrian BR, Huang YS. 2000 Comparison of growth and fatty acid metabolism in rats fed diets containing equal levels of gamma-linolenic acid from high gamma-linolenic acid canola oil or borage oil. Lipids. 35:975-81

10. Sidhu RS, Hammond BG, Fuchs RL, Mutz JN, Holden LR, George B, Olson T. 2000 Glyphosate-tolerant corn: the composition and feeding value of grain from glyphosate-tolerant corn is equivalent to that of conventional corn (Zea mays L.). J Agric Food Chem. 48:2305-12.

11. Spencer JD, Allee GL, Sauber TE. 2000 Growing-finishing performance and carcass characteristics of pigs fed normal and genetically modified low-phytate corn. J Anim Sci. 78:1529-36.

12. Aulrich K, Bohme H, Daenicke R, Halle I, Flachowsky G. 2001 Genetically modified feeds in animal nutrition. 1st communication: Bacillus thuringiensis (Bt) corn in poultry, pig and ruminant nutrition. Arch Tierernahr. 54:183-95.

13. Barriere Y, Verite R, Brunschwig P, Surault F, Emile JC. 2001 Feeding value of corn silage estimated with sheep and dairy cows is not altered by genetic incorporation of Bt1376 resistance to Ostrinia nubilalis. J Dairy Sci. 84:1863-71.

14. Bohme H, Aulrich K, Daenicke R, Flachowsky G. 2001 Genetically modified feeds in animal nutrition. 2nd communication: glufosinate tolerant sugar beets (roots and silage) and maize grains for ruminants and pigs. Arch Tierernahr. 54:197-207.

15. Tutel'ian VA, Kravchenko LV, Sorokina EIu, Korolev AA, Avren'eva LI, Guseva GV, Chernysheva ON, Tyshko NV. 2001 [Medical and biological assessment of the safety of genetically modified corn lines MON 810 and GA 21: a toxicological-biochemical study] [Article in Russian]. Vopr Pitan. 70:28-31.

16. Chrenkova M, Sommer A, Ceresnakova Z, Nitrayova S, Prostredna M. 2002 Nutritional evaluation of genetically modified maize corn performed on rats. Arch Tierernahr. 56:229-35.

17. Cromwell GL, Lindemann MD, Randolph JH, Parker GR, Coffey RD, Laurent KM, Armstrong CL, Mikel WB, Stanisiewski EP, Hartnell GF. 2002 Soybean meal from roundup ready or conventional soybeans in diets for growing-finishing swine. J Anim Sci. 80:708-15.

18. Folmer JD, Grant RJ, Milton CT, Beck J. 2002 Utilization of Bt corn residues by grazing beef steers and Bt corn silage and grain by growing beef cattle and lactating dairy cows. J Anim Sci. 80:1352-61.

19. Humphrey BD, Huang N, Klasing KC. 2002 Rice expressing lactoferrin and lysozyme has antibiotic-like properties when fed to chicks. J Nutr. 132:1214-8.

20. Reuter T, Aulrich K, Berk A, Flachowsky G. 2002 Investigations on genetically modified maize (Bt-maize) in pig nutrition: chemical composition and nutritional evaluation. Arch Tierernahr. 56:23-31.

21. Reuter T, Aulrich K, Berk A. 2002 Investigations on genetically modified maize (Bt-maize) in pig nutrition: fattening performance and slaughtering results. Arch Tierernahr. 56:319-26.

22. Teshima R, Watanabe T, Okunuki H, Isuzugawa K, Akiyama H, Onodera H, Imai T, Toyoda M, Sawada J. 2002 Effect of subchronic feeding of genetically modified corn (CBH351) on immune system in BN rats and B10A mice. Shokuhin Eiseigaku Zasshi. 43:273-9.

23. Brake J, Faust MA, Stein J. 2003 Evaluation of transgenic event Bt11 hybrid corn in broiler chickens. Poult Sci. 82:551-9.

24. Brown PB, Wilson KA, Jonker Y, Nickson TE. 2003 Glyphosate tolerant canola meal is equivalent to the parental line in diets fed to rainbow trout. J Agric Food Chem. 51:4268-72.

25. Chen ZL, Gu H, Li Y, Su Y, Wu P, Jiang Z, Ming X, Tian J, Pan N, Qu LJ. 2003 Safety assessment for genetically modified sweet pepper and tomato. Toxicology. 188:297-307.

26. Donkin SS, Velez JC, Totten AK, Stanisiewski EP, Hartnell GF. 2003 Effects of feeding silage and grain from glyphosate-tolerant or insect-protected corn hybrids on feed intake, ruminal digestion, and milk production in dairy cattle. J Dairy Sci. 86:1780-8.

27. Erickson GE, Robbins ND, Simon JJ, Berger LL, Klopfenstein TJ, Stanisiewski EP, Hartnell GF. 2003 Effect of feeding glyphosate-tolerant (roundup-ready events GA21 or nk603) corn compared with reference hybrids on feedlot steer performance and carcass characteristics. J Anim Sci. 81:2600-8.

28. Grant RJ, Fanning KC, Kleinschmit D, Stanisiewski EP, Hartnell GF. 2003 Influence of glyphosate-tolerant (event nk603) and corn rootworm protected (event MON863) corn silage and grain on feed consumption and milk production in Holstein cattle. J Dairy Sci. 86:1707-15.

29. Ipharraguerre IR, Younker RS, Clark JH, Stanisiewski EP, Hartnell GF. 2003 Performance of lactating dairy cows fed corn as whole plant silage and grain produced from a glyphosate-tolerant hybrid (event NK603). J Dairy Sci. 86:1734-41.

30. Taylor ML, Hartnell GF, Riordan SG, Nemeth MA, Karunanandaa K, George B, Astwood JD. 2003 Comparison of broiler performance when fed diets containing grain from roundup ready (NK603), yieldgard x roundup ready (MON810 x NK603), non-transgenic control, or commercial corn. Poult Sci. 82:443-53.

31. Taylor ML, Hartnell GF, Riordan SG, Nemeth MA, Karunanandaa K, George B, Astwood JD. 2003 Comparison of broiler performance when fed diets containing grain from YieldGard (MON810), YieldGard x Roundup Ready (GA21), nontransgenic control, or commercial corn. Poult Sci. 82:823-30.

32. Taylor ML, Hyun Y, Hartnell GF, Riordan SG, Nemeth MA, Karunanandaa K, George B, Astwood JD. 2003 Comparison of broiler performance when fed diets containing grain from YieldGard Rootworm (MON863), YieldGard Plus (MON810 x MON863), nontransgenic control, or commercial reference corn hybrids. Poult Sci. 82:1948-56.

33. Tony MA, Butschke A, Broll H, Grohmann L, Zagon J, Halle I, Danicke S, Schauzu M, Hafez HM, Flachowsky G. 2003 Safety assessment of Bt 176 maize in broiler nutrition: degradation of maize-DNA and its metabolic fate. Arch Tierernahr. 57:235-52.

34. Brake DG, Evenson DP 2004 A generational study of glyphosate-tolerant soybeans on mouse fetal, postnatal, pubertal and adult testicular development. Food Chem Toxicol. 42:29-36.

35. Brake DG, Thaler R, Evenson DP 2004 Evaluation of Bt (Bacillus thuringiensis) corn on mouse testicular development by dual parameter flow cytometry. J Agric Food Chem 52:2097-102.

36. Chen X, Zhuo Q, Piao J, Yang X. 2004 [Immunotoxicologic assessment of transgenetic rice][Article in Chinese]. Wei Sheng Yan Jiu. 33:77-80.

37. El Sanhoty R, El-Rahman AA, Bogl KW. 2004 Quality and safety evaluation of genetically modified potatoes spunta with Cry V gene: compositional analysis, determination of some toxins, antinutrients compounds and feeding study in rats. Nahrung. 48:13-8.

38. Hammond B, Dudek R, Lemen J, Nemeth M. 2004 Results of a 13 week safety assurance study with rats fed grain from glyphosate tolerant corn. Food Chem Toxicol. 42:1003-14.

39. Hyun Y, Bressner GE, Ellis M, Lewis AJ, Fischer R, Stanisiewski EP, Hartnell GF. 2004 Performance of growing-finishing pigs fed diets containing Roundup Ready corn (event nk603), a nontransgenic genetically similar corn, or conventional corn lines. J Anim Sci. 82:571-80.

40. Taylor ML, Stanisiewski EP, Riordan SG, Nemeth MA, George B, Hartnell GF 2004 Comparison of broiler performance when fed diets containing roundup ready (event RT73), nontransgenic control, or commercial canola meal. Poult Sci 83:456-461

41. Zhuo Q, Chen X, Piao J, Gu L. 2004 [Study on food safety of genetically modified rice which expressed cowpea trypsin inhibitor by 90 day feeding test on rats] [Article in Chinese]. Wei Sheng Yan Jiu. 33:176-9. 42. Zhuo Q, Chen X, Piao J, Han C. 2004 [Study on the teratogenicity effects of genetically modified rich which expressed cowpea trypsin inhibitor on rats] [Article in Chinese]. Wei Sheng Yan Jiu. 33:74-7.

http://www.agbioworld.org/biotech-info/articles/biotech-art/peer-reviewed-pubs.html

#1460240 --- 10/01/14 02:13 PM Re: The Poisoning of our Food System [Re: cwjga]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

So go ahead and eat them, already! Those who value their health won't, though.

#1460243 --- 10/01/14 03:03 PM Re: The Poisoning of our Food System [Re: VM Smith]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Ten Scientific Studies Prove that Genetically Modified Food Can Be Harmful To Human Health

By Arjun Walia
Global Research, April 08, 2014
Activist Post

GMO labeling
“GM Crop Production is Lowering US Yields and Increasing Pesticide Use…There is no reason GM foods should be approved safe for consumption, we just don’t know enough about them. We could easily feed the planet through organic, GMO-free methods, so there is absolutely no reason we need GM foods around… the current approval of glyphosate and Roundup is deeply flawed and unreliable…Because humans that’ve been exposed to glyphosate have a drop in amino acid tryptophan levels, they do not have the necessary active signalling of the neurotransmitter serotonin, which is associated with weight gain, depression and Alzheimer’s disease. “

Over the past few years, a number of countries have completely banned GMOs and the pesticides that go along with them, and they are doing so for a reason. The latest country to consider a complete ban is Russia after top government scientists recommended at least a 10-year ban.

The truth is, we don’t know enough about GMOs to deem them safe for human consumption. Believe it or not the very first commercial sale of them was only twenty years ago. There is no possible way that our health authorities can test all possible combinations on a large enough population, over a long enough period of time to be able to say with absolute certainty that they are harmless.

There are a multitude of credible scientific studies that clearly demonstrate why GMOs should not be consumed, and more are emerging every year. There are also a number of scientists all around the world who oppose them.

By slipping it into our food without our knowledge, without any indication that there are genetically modified organisms in our food, we are now unwittingly part of a massive experiment. The FDA has said that genetically modified organisms are not much different from regular food, so they’ll be treated in the same way. The problem is this, geneticists follow the inheritance of genes, what biotechnology allows us to do is to take this organism, and move it horizontally into a totally unrelated species. Now David Suzuki doesn’t normally mate with a carrot and exchange genes, what biotechnology allows us to do is to switch genes from one to the other without regard to the biological constraints. It’s very very bad science, we assume that the principals governing the inheritance of genes vertically, applies when you move genes laterally or horizontally. There’s absolutely no reason to make that conclusion – Geneticist David Suzuki

If anybody ever tells you that we know with one hundred percent certainty that GMOs are totally safe to eat, they haven’t done their research. There is no reason GM foods should be approved safe for consumption, we just don’t know enough about them. We could easily feed the planet through organic, GMO-free methods, so there is absolutely no reason we need GM foods around.

Below I’ve presented just a bit of information to get you started on your research.

1. Multiple Toxins From GMOs Detected In Maternal and Fetal Blood

Research from Canada (the first of its kind) has successfully identified the presence of pesticides -associated with genetically modified foods in maternal, fetal and non-pregnant women’s blood. They also found the presence of Monsanto’s Bt toxin. The study was published in the journal Reproductive Toxicology in 2011.(1) You can read the FULL study here.

Given the potential toxicity of these environmental pollutants and the fragility of the fetus, more studies are needed, particularly those using the placental transfer approach. Thus, our present results will provide baseline data for future studies exploring a new area of research relating to nutrition, toxicology and reproduction in women. Today, obstetric-gynecological disorders that are associated with environmental chemicals are not known. Thus, knowing the actual concentration of genetically modified foods in humans constitutes a cornerstone in the advancement of research in this area.” (1)

The study used blood samples from thirty pregnant women and thirty non-pregnant women. The study also pointed out that the fetus is considered to be highly susceptible to the adverse affects of xenobiotics (foreign chemical substance found within an organism that is not naturally produced.) This is why the study emphasizes that knowing more about GMOs is crucial, because environmental agents could disrupt the biological events that are required to ensure normal growth and development.

2. DNA From Genetically Modified Crops Can Be Transferred Into Humans Who Eat Them

In a new study published in the peer reviewed Public Library of Science (PLOS), researchers emphasize that there is sufficient evidence that meal-derived DNA fragments carry complete genes that can enter into the human circulation system through an unknown mechanism.(2)

In one of the blood samples the relative concentration of plant DNA is higher than the human DNA. The study was based on the analysis of over 1000 human samples from four independent studies. PLOS is an open access, well respected peer-reviewed scientific journal that covers primary research from disciplines within science and medicine. It’s great to see this study published in it, confirming what many have been suspected for years.

Our bloodstream is considered to be an environment well separated from the outside world and the digestive tract. According to the standard paradigm large macromolecules consumed with food cannot pass directly to the circulatory system. During digestion proteins and DNA are thought to be degraded into small constituents, amino acids and nucleic acids, respectively, and then absorbed by a complex active process and distributed to various parts of the body through the circulation system. Here, based on the analysis of over 1000 human samples from four independent studies, we report evidence that meal-derived DNA fragments which are large enough to carry complete genes can avoid degradation and through an unknown mechanism enter the human circulation system. In one of the blood samples the relative concentration of plant DNA is higher than the human DNA. The plant DNA concentration shows a surprisingly precise log-normal distribution in the plasma samples while non-plasma (cord blood) control sample was found to be free of plant DNA. (2)

This still doesn’t mean that GMOs can enter into our cells, but given the fact GMOs have been linked to cancer (later in this article) it is safe to assume it is indeed a possibility. The bottom line is that we don’t know, and this study demonstrates another cause for concern.

3. New Study Links GMOs To Gluten Disorders That Affect 18 Million Americans

This study was recently released by the Institute for Responsible Technology (IRT), and uses data from the US department of Agriculture, US Environmental Protection Agency, medical journal reviews as well as other independent research. (3)(4) The authors relate GM foods to five conditions that may either trigger or exacerbate gluten-related disorders, including the autoimmune disorder, Celiac Disease:

Intestinal permeability

Imbalanced gut bacteria

Immune activation and allergic response

Impaired digestion

Damage to the intestinal wall

The Institute for Responsible technology is a world leader in educating policy makers and the public about GMO foods and crops. The institute reports and investigates on the impact GM foods can have on health, environment, agriculture and more.

4. Study Links Genetically Modified Corn to Rat Tumors

In November 2012, The Journal of Food and Chemical Toxicology published a paper titled ‘Long term toxicity of a Roundup herbicide and a Roundup-tolerant genetically modified maize’ by Gilles-Eric Seralini and his team of researchers at France’s Caen University. (5)

It was a very significant study, which obviously looks bad for the big biotech companies like Monsanto, being the first and only long-term study under controlled conditions examining the possible effects of a diet of GMO maize treated with Monsanto roundup herbicide.

This study has since been retracted, which is odd, because the journal it was published in is a very well known, reputable peer reviewed scientific journal. In order for a study to be published here it has to go through a rigorous review process.

It’s also important to note that hundreds of scientists from around the world have condemned the retraction of the study. This study was done by experts, and a correlation between GMOs and these tumors can’t be denied, something happened.

The multiple criticisms of the study have also been answered by the team of researchers that conducted the study. You can read them and find out more about the study here.

GM Crop Production is Lowering US Yields and Increasing Pesticide Use

5. Glyphosate Induces Human Breast Cancer Cells Growth via Estrogen Receptors

A study is published in the US National Library of Medicine (4) and will soon be published in the journal Food and Chemical Toxicology. Several recent studies showed glyphosate’s potential to be an endocrine disruptor. Endocrine disruptors are chemicals that can interfere with the hormone system in mammals. These disruptors can cause developmental disorders, birth defects and cancer tumors. (6)

Glyphosate exerted proliferative effects only in human hormone-dependent breast cancer. We found that glyphosate exhibited a weaker estrogenic activity than estradiol.

Furthermore, this study demonstrated the additive estrogenic effects of glyphosate and genisein which implied that the use of contaminated soybean products as dietary supplements may pose a risk of breast cancer because of their potential additive estrogenicity. (6)

Researchers also determined that Monsanto’s roundup is considered an “xenoestrogen,” which is a foreign estrogen that mimics real estrogen in our bodies. This can cause a number of problems that include an increased risk of various cancers, early onset of puberty, thyroid issues, infertility and more.

6. Glyphosate Linked To Birth Defects

A group of scientists put together a comprehensive review of existing data that shows how European regulators have known that Monsanto’s glyphosate causes a number of birth malformations since at least 2002. Regulators misled the public about glyphosate’s safety, and in Germany the Federal Office for Consumer Protection and Food Safety told the European Commission that there was no evidence to suggest that glyphosate causes birth defects. (7)

Our examination of the evidence leads us to the conclusion that the current approval of glyphosate and Roundup is deeply flawed and unreliable. In this report, we examine the industry studies and regulatory documents that led to the approval of glyphosate. We show that industry and regulators knew as long ago as the 1980s and 1990s that glyphosate causes malformation – but that this information was not made public. We demonstrate how EU regulators reasoned their way from clear evidence of glyphosate’s teratogenicity in industry’s own studies to a conclusion that minimized these findings in the EU Commission’s final review report. (7)

Here is a summary of the report:

Multiple peer-reviewed scientific literature documenting serious health hazards posed by glyphosate

Industry (including Monsanto) has known since the 1980s that glyphosate causes malformations in experimental animals at high doses

Industry has known since 1993 that these effects could also occur at lower and mid doses

The German government has known since at least 1998 that glyphosate causes malformations

The EU Commission’s expert scientific review panel knew in 1999 that glyphosate causes malformations

The EU Commission has known since 2002 that glyphosate causes malformations. This was the year DG SANCO division published its final review report, laying out the basis for the current approval of glyphosate

Another study published by the American Chemical Society, from the university of Buenos Aires, Argentina also showed that Glyphosate can cause abnormalities.(8)

The direct effect of glyphosate on early mechanisms of morphogenesis in vertebrate embryos opens concerns about the clinical findings from human offspring in populations exposed to glyphosate in agricultural fields (8)

7. Study Links Glyphosate To Autism, Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s

When you ingest Glyphosate, you are in essence altering the chemistry of your body. It’s completely unnatural and the body doesn’t resonate with it. P450 (CYP) is the gene pathway disrupted when the body takes in Glyphosate. P450 creates enzymes that assist with the formation of molecules in cells, as well as breaking them down.

CYP enzymes are abundant and have many important functions. They are responsible for detoxifying xenobiotics from the body, things like the various chemicals found in pesticides, drugs and carcinogens. Glyphosate inhibits the CYP enzymes. The CYP pathway is critical for normal, natural functioning of multiple biological systems within our bodies. Because humans that’ve been exposed to glyphosate have a drop in amino acid tryptophan levels, they do not have the necessary active signalling of the neurotransmitter serotonin, which is associated with weight gain, depression and Alzheimer’s disease. (9)

8. Chronically Ill Humans Have Higher Glyphosate Levels Than Healthy Humans

A new study out of Germany concludes that Glyphosate residue could reach humans and animals through feed and can be excreted in urine. It outlines how presence of glyphosate in urine and its accumulation in animal tissues is alarming even at low concentrations. (10)

To this day, Monsanto continues to advertise its Roundup products as environmentally friendly and claims that neither animals nor humans are affected by this toxin.

Environmentalists, veterinarians, medical doctors and scientists however, have raised increasing alarms about the danger of glyphosate in the animal and human food chain as well as the environment. The fact that glyphosate has been found in animals and humans is of great concern. In search for the causes of serious diseases amongst entire herds of animals in northern Germany, especially cattle, glyphosate has repeatedly been detected in the urine, feces, milk and feed of the animals. Even more alarming, glyphosate was detected in the urine of the farmers. (10)

9. Studies Link GMO Animal Feed to Severe Stomach Inflammation and Enlarged Uteri in Pigs

A study by scientist Judy Carman, PhD that was recently published in the peer-reviewed journal Organic Systems outlines the effects of a diet mixed with GMO feed for pigs, and how it is a cause for concern when it comes to health. (11) Scientists randomized and fed isowean pigs either a mixed GM soy and GM corn (maize) diet for approximately 23 weeks (nothing out of the ordinary for most pigs in the United States), which is unfortunately the normal lifespan of a commercial pig from weaning to slaughter. Equal numbers of male and female pigs were present in each group. The GM diet was associated with gastric and uterine differences in pigs. GM pigs had uteri that were 25% heavier than non-GM fed pigs. GM-fed pigs had a higher rate of severe stomach inflammation with a rate of 32% compared to 125 of non-GM fed pigs.

The study concluded that pigs fed a GMO diet exhibited a heavier uteri and a higher rate of severe stomach inflammation than pigs who weren’t fed a GMO diet. Because the use of GMO feed for livestock and humans is so widespread, this is definitely another cause for concern when it comes to GMO consumption. Humans have a similar gastrointestinal tract to pigs, and these GM crops are consumed widely by people, especially in the United States.

10. GMO risk assessment is based on very little scientific evidence in the sense that the testing methods recommended are not adequate to ensure safety. (12)(13)(14)

Deficiencies have been revealed numerous times with regards to testing GM foods.

The first guidelines were originally designed to regulate the introduction of GM microbes and plants into the environment with no attention being paid to food safety concerns. However, they have been widely cited as adding authoritative scientific support to food safety assessment. Additionally, the Statement of Policy released by the Food and Drug Administration of the United States, presumptively recognizing the GM foods as GRAS (generally recognized as safe), was prepared while there were critical guidelines prepared by the International Life Sciences Institute Europe and FAO/WHO recommend that safety evaluation should be based on the concept of substantial equivalence, considering parameters such as molecular characterization, phenotypic characteristics, key nutrients, toxicants and allergens. Since 2003, official standards for food safety assessment have been published by the Codex Alimentarius Commission of FAO/WHO. Published reviews with around 25 peer-reviewed studies have found that despite the guidelines, the risk assessment of GM foods has not followed a defined prototype.(12) (15)

The risk assessment of genetically modified (GM) crops for human nutrition and health has not been systematic. Evaluations for each GM crop or trait have been conducted using different feeding periods, animal models and parameters. The most common results is that GM and conventional sources include similar nutritional performance and growth in animals. However, adverse microscopic and molecular effects of some GM foods in different organs or tissues have been reported. While there are currently no standardized methods to evaluate the safety of GM foods, attempts towards harmonization are on the way. More scientific effort is necessary in order to build confidence in the evaluation and acceptance of GM foods. (12) (15)

So, if anybody ever tells you that GMOs are completely safe for consumption, it’s not true. We just don’t know enough about them to make such a definitive statement. A lot of evidence actually points to the contrary.

Notes

(1) https://www.uclm.es/Actividades/repositorio/pdf/doc_3721_4666.pdf

(2) http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0069805

(3) http://rt.com/usa/gmo-gluten-sensitivity-trigger-343/

(4) http://responsibletechnology.org/media/images/content/Press_Release_Gluten_11_25.pdf

(5) http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0278691512005637

(6) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23756170

(7) http://earthopensource.org/files/pdfs/Roundup-and-birth-defects/RoundupandBirthDefectsv5.pdf

(8) http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/tx1001749

(9) http://www.mdpi.com/1099-4300/15/4/1416

(10) http://omicsonline.org/open-access/detec...525.1000210.pdf

(11) http://www.organic-systems.org/journal/81/8106.pdf

(12)http://static.aboca.com/www.aboca.com/files/attach/news/risk_assessment_of_genetically_modified_crops_for_nutrition.pdf

(13) Reese W, Schubert D. Safety testing and regulation of genetically engineered foods. Biotechnol Genet Eng Rev. 2004;21:299–324

(14) Schubert D. A different perspective on GM food. Nat Biotechnol. 2002;20:969–969.

(15) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19146501

#1460955 --- 10/08/14 11:05 PM Re: The Poisoning of our Food System [Re: MissingArty]
MissingArty Offline

Upstaters, you are part of a huge human experiment thrust upon us without our permission. 64 other countries have either banned or limited the use of gmo seed. Russia, China, Peru and Mexico being the most recent.

Our kids are being harmed the most as their bodies are smaller.

My yard man drinking gmo soda, Mt. Dew, Coke, etc., sends him to the emergency room. I gave him two non gmo sodas to take home and drink in front of his parents. Guess what gmo troll, he didn't need to go to the emergency room. Fyi, my test subject friend, is over the age of 21. I've been off gmo food almost two years. No gerd drugs, no heart burn, no intestinal issues, no prediabetic symptoms. Gone.

Parents, please check out Moms Across America and watch the videos of parents whose children got better after they stopped feeding them gmo food.

http://www.momsacrossamerica.com/zenhoneycutt/mom_s_testimonials

Folks out there with babies and small children need to be looking for symptoms from the affects of gmo food.

Red eye, that is, a light shade of red under their eyes.

Tears suddenly fall from their eye for no reason.

Itch themselves when you are changing them or they are trying to itch with their clothes on.

Sneezes daily.

Scratch the throat area.

Grab their head and pull their hair.

Wave their arms up and down hard.

Red spotty rash around the mouth and body.

Fussy baby, doesn't sleep very long.

If you've had acid reflux you know what it's like to have that acid come up your throat. It's possible this is happening to your baby or child and they can't tell you.

These symptoms are serious. Please do not ignore them.

Robin O'Briend explains, "the body of a child with food allergies may recognize these foreign proteins as "invaders," launching an inflammatory attack that manifests as an allergic -- sometimes deadly anaphylactic -- reaction."

Robin O'Brien's video, Mercola article:

"In the mid-1990's, new food proteins were engineered and introduced into our food supply, yet many people are still, to this day, clueless about this. As O'Brien states, it was clearly done to maximize profitability for the food industry, yet NO human trials were ever conducted to see if these genetically engineered proteins were actually safe for animal- and human consumption."

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articl...ergies-now.aspx

MOMS SPEAKING OUT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNwnjsY2hn0&list=PLKpK7w40NKS6nD-Sx1EmN1zxHt-oAUbUF&index=4

#1460956 --- 10/08/14 11:18 PM Re: The Poisoning of our Food System [Re: MissingArty]
MissingArty Offline

Please don't waste your time listening to trolls. These people have a financially lucrative industry to protect. From farmers, farm bureaus, employees of medical, dental, veterinary colleges, experimental businesses, the agricultural, medical and pharmaceutical industries.

If there are no sick people, there is no money.

Don't give up your right to decide for yourself or your children.

Don't do as they say. Don't do as I say.

Research for yourself. Watch parent testimonials. Watch videos from trusted researchers and scientists.

If you have a sick family, go off gmo food for a month and see what happens.

If this gmo food is so safe, then why are these companies paying millions of dollars to hide it from you?

#1460959 --- 10/08/14 11:54 PM Re: The Poisoning of our Food System [Re: MissingArty]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Quote:
I've been off gmo food almost two years.

Do you eat grass fed meat?

#1461329 --- 10/14/14 05:55 PM Re: The Poisoning of our Food System [Re: MissingArty]
MissingArty Offline

I did until the farmer told me he was "nearly gmo free." I had thought he was and in a conversation about gmo grass he told me the above. I knew something was giving me symptoms but I had thought it was a TJ's product. No. Off the farmer's meat about three weeks now. Symptoms gone. So now, it's Trader Joe's meat. I'm having meatloaf and mashed potatoes for dinner, non gmo. The farmer said he is working on going gmo free. He knows people do not want it.

I finally got some time to watch "Bought" last night. They did a really good job. I hope people will watch it.

http://ykr.be/7o2aiv553

#1462260 --- 10/26/14 12:48 PM Re: The Poisoning of our Food System [Re: MissingArty]
MissingArty Offline

Every American needs to watch these films.

Free to watch through 10/31, "Second Opinion"

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articl...ary_facebookdoc

"Genetic Roulette: The Gamble of Our Lives"

http://ykr.be/6h2e09vhk

"Bought"

#1462264 --- 10/26/14 04:17 PM Re: The Poisoning of our Food System [Re: MissingArty]
cwjga Offline

Originally Posted By: MissingArty
I did until the farmer told me he was "nearly gmo free." I had thought he was and in a conversation about gmo grass he told me the above. I knew something was giving me symptoms but I had thought it was a TJ's product. No. Off the farmer's meat about three weeks now. Symptoms gone. So now, it's Trader Joe's meat. I'm having meatloaf and mashed potatoes for dinner, non gmo. The farmer said he is working on going gmo free. He knows people do not want it.

I finally got some time to watch "Bought" last night. They did a really good job. I hope people will watch it.

you bought it alright, hook line, and sinker.

#1462338 --- 10/28/14 06:42 PM Re: The Poisoning of our Food System [Re: MissingArty]
MissingArty Offline

Yes, I assumed "natural" and "grass fed" meant no gmo. Yes, I was wrong. Folks can learn from my mistakes. You have to ask "are your animals fed any gmo feed?" The farmer is working on going totally gmo free. He knows his customers do not want it.

After the initial change over to all non gmo staples, I actually am saving money because I never need to go to Wal-Mart or Wegmans.

Going non gmo will heal your gut/save your life and actually save you money. If not for yourself, folks, watch Genetic Roulette and learn what this is doing to our babies and children.

I encourage everyone to stop in at Trader Joe's in Pittsford or the new store in Syracuse. Many items are cheaper if not close to the same price as Tops. The other great thing is there isn't 20 of the same product to chose from.

#1462339 --- 10/28/14 07:02 PM Re: The Poisoning of our Food System [Re: MissingArty]
Teonan Offline

Loc: West End
Originally Posted By: MissingArty
Yes, I assumed "natural" and "grass fed" meant no gmo. Yes, I was wrong. Folks can learn from my mistakes. You have to ask "are your animals fed any gmo feed?" The farmer is working on going totally gmo free. He knows his customers do not want it.

After the initial change over to all non gmo staples, I actually am saving money because I never need to go to Wal-Mart or Wegmans.

Going non gmo will heal your gut/save your life and actually save you money. If not for yourself, folks, watch Genetic Roulette and learn what this is doing to our babies and children.

I encourage everyone to stop in at Trader Joe's in Pittsford or the new store in Syracuse. Many items are cheaper if not close to the same price as Tops. The other great thing is there isn't 20 of the same product to chose from.

Thanks for sharing the solid info and leads MissingArty. Folks might also consider stopping by either of Ithaca's Greenstar Natural Foods Market and Co-op two locations. Open every day from 7am to 11pm to members and non-members alike.

http://www.greenstar.coop/

#1462494 --- 10/31/14 11:57 PM Re: The Poisoning of our Food System [Re: MissingArty]
MissingArty Offline

Thank you for the link. Ithaca has a lot of organic stores.

Fyi, folks, gmo explained in one minute:

http://expandedconsciousness.com/2014/10/16/what-is-a-gmo-explained-in-1-minute/

Moms Across America founder explains gmo in six minutes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXJE2OkRH0s#t=197

#1462595 --- 11/03/14 03:36 PM Re: The Poisoning of our Food System [Re: MissingArty]
MissingArty Offline

More highly toxic compound superweed-killers on the way!

By Sara Jennings in Spilling the Beans Newsletter

October 29, 2014

Monsanto’s new GMO cotton will unleash a triple whammy of toxic herbicides

http://www.responsibletechnology.org/posts/

#1462602 --- 11/03/14 05:42 PM Re: The Poisoning of our Food System [Re: MissingArty]
MissingArty Offline

Dr. Mercola: The Alarming Truths About Genetically Modified Foods

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FkY8tKS1uo

Two TV ads in Oregon and Colorado's gmo labelling battle coming soon to New York State.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dw0bkRq8_aM&feature=youtu.be

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=952880271407734

Dr. Bronner: “Genetic engineering of food crops is a pesticide industry boondoggle. Rather than help farmers move to more sustainable, less chemical intensive agriculture, genetic engineering has resulted in huge increases in pesticide use contaminating our food and water and killing bees, birds and other non-target wildlife,” he said. “Overuse of pesticide is creating resistant superweeds and superbugs, which leads to more volume of more toxic pesticides sprayed. Now chemical companies are engineering resistance in food crops to much more toxic weed killers like Dicamba and 2,4-D. Americans need to wake up to the secret changes chemical companies are making to our food and demand transparency in food labeling.”

- See more at: http://www.non-gmoreport.com/articles/oc...h.ELNvZlQM.dpuf

Bill Nye Takes On A Controversial Issue In A Way That Pretty Much Everyone Can Get On Board With

http://www.upworthy.com/bill-nye-takes-o...?g=2&c=tkp1

ALERT: Certified Organic Food Grown in U.S. Found Contaminated with Glyphosate Herbicide - See more at:

http://healthimpactnews.com/2014/alert-c...h.S6rXwU7r.dpuf

Gluten Intolerance and the Herbicide Glyphosate: A National Epidemic
- See more at:

http://healthimpactnews.com/2014/gluten-...N.IkKAWm8q.dpuf

Syngenta Sued for $1 Billion Damages over China's Rejection of GM Corn as China Halts Its GM Rice and Corn Programmes

http://www.i-sis.org.uk/Syngenta_Sued_for_$1_billion.php#.VFV6z7uNxSE.facebook

Widespread Glyphosate Contamination in USA

http://www.i-sis.org.uk/Widespread_Glyphosate_Contamination_in_US.php#.VFV7iMS8Scc.facebook

Major Pesticides Are More Toxic to Human Cells Than Their Declared Active Principles

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3955666/

Monsanto’s RoundUp-Ready GMO Grass About to Be Approved and Fed to Cattle

http://www.globalresearch.ca/monsantos-r...-cattle/5403031

#1463299 --- 11/20/14 07:59 AM Re: The Poisoning of our Food System [Re: MissingArty]
cwjga Offline

#1463300 --- 11/20/14 08:05 AM Re: The Poisoning of our Food System [Re: cwjga]
cwjga Offline

#1463377 --- 11/23/14 09:19 AM Re: The Poisoning of our Food System [Re: MissingArty]
MissingArty Offline

As the new film, Organic Rising, created by Pulitzer Prize and Emmy award-winning filmmaker, Anthony Suau, points out – today’s food crisis is the civil rights movement of our time.

Americans are finally tired of eating food that causes disease. The masses are realizing that they’ve been lied to, and that it is time to revolutionize the way we grow our food. No longer will we tolerate the growing prevalence of chronic health problems like Alzheimer’s, cancer, diabetes, infertility, and IBS being caused by GMOs and pesticide use.

http://earthweareone.com/the-rise-of-org...ed-in-new-film/

Seek credible sources for information so that you, the consumer, can make the decision.

Institute for Responsible Technology

Moms Across America

Organic Consumers Association

#1463411 --- 11/25/14 10:48 PM Seneca County Farmer goes Organic, No Gmo [Re: MissingArty]
MissingArty Offline

I just got the news the other day. Autumns Harvest Farm in Romulus, has gone all organic, non-gmo.

They took the time to learn about gmo and listened to their customers.

Thank you AHF.

#1463412 --- 11/25/14 10:50 PM Seneca County Farmer goes Organic, No Gmo
MissingArty Offline

I just got the news the other day. Autumns Harvest Farm in Romulus, has gone all organic, non-gmo.

They took the time to learn about gmo and listened to their customers.

Thank you AHF.

#1463413 --- 11/26/14 08:25 AM Re: Seneca County Farmer goes Organic, No Gmo [Re: MissingArty]
Forest Girl Offline

Loc: The Heights
Their practices have been beyond organic for quite some time, as far as I know. We've been buying our meat and eggs from them exclusively for several years now because they are animal welfare approved, and because of the quality of their products. My husband is on his way to pick up our T-giving turkey there as I post this. Happy Thanksgiving!

#1463418 --- 11/26/14 11:04 AM Re: Seneca County Farmer goes Organic, No Gmo [Re: Forest Girl]
Hello_Governer Offline

Loc: New York, Seneca
sick

About 1,010,000 resultsDid you mean: e coli from organic farm produce
Like E. Coli? Enjoy Organic Food - Science 2.0
www.science20.com/science.../e_coli_enjoy_organic_food-79604‎CachedSimilar
Jun 1, 2011 ... While Europeans trade blame about the E. coli contamination that has ... Organic
Farming Practices Cause 200 Instances Of Serious Food ...

Analysis: E.coli outbreak poses questions for organic farming | Reuters
www.reuters.com/.../us-ecoli-beansprouts-idUSTRE7552N720110606‎CachedSimilar
Jun 6, 2011 ... LONDON (Reuters) - The warm, watery, organic growing environment suspected
as the source of a deadly E.coli outbreak in Germany may ...

2011 Germany E. coli O104:H4 outbreak - Wikipedia, the free ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Germany_E._coli_O104:H4_outbreak‎CachedSimilar
The agriculture minister of Lower Saxony identified an organic farm in ... which
produces a variety of sprouted foods, as the likely source of the E. coli outbreak.

Study yields mixed findings about microbes on organic produce ...
www.cidrap.umn.edu/.../study-yields-mixed-findings-about-microbes- organic-produce‎CachedSimilar
The E coli prevalence in produce from uncertified organic farms was 11.4%,
significantly higher than in the certified organic produce. In addition, 59% of ...

Organic Food Not Proven Healthier or Safer, Study Finds | Food ...
www.foodsafetynews.com/.../organic-food-not-proven-healthier-or-safer- study-finds/‎CachedSimilar
Sep 5, 2012 ... The review found that, overall, organic produce is 30 percent less likely to contain
... difference in the rate of E. coli contamination — 7 percent for organic, 6 percent
... Organic farming is generally good for wildlife but does not ...

The Hidden Dangers In Organic Food - Center for Global Food ...
www.artsci.wustl.edu/.../Hidden%20Dangers%20In%20Organic%20Food. htm‎CachedSimilar
This new E. coli is attacking tens of thousands of people per year, all over the
world. ... Organic food is more dangerous than conventionally grown produce
because ... Organic farmers compound the contamination problem through their ...

Wash Your Organic Produce. No, Really. | Mother Jones
www.motherjones.com/blue-marble/2012/.../wash-organic-produce‎CachedSimilar
Aug 20, 2012 ... "For years, organic farming's true believers have made ... a study comparing E.
coli contamination in organic and conventional produce.

CDC - Multistate Outbreak Linked to Organic Spinach and Spring ...
www.cdc.gov/ecoli/2012/O157H7-11-12/index.html?s_cid=‎Cached
Dec 10, 2012 ... Multistate Outbreak of Shiga Toxin-producing Escherichia coli O157:H7 ...
However, E. coli is still an important cause of human illness in the ...

Scientists Expose Myths that Organic Farming Produces Dangerous ...
www.organicconsumers.org/Organic/ecolimyths.cfm‎CachedSimilar
recent outbreak of E coli ... and intensive farming methods ...

#1463425 --- 11/26/14 05:09 PM Re: Seneca County Farmer goes Organic, No Gmo [Re: MissingArty]
voice Offline

Organic farming is the biggest ripoff to consumers there is!

#1463431 --- 11/27/14 12:27 PM Re: Seneca County Farmer goes Organic, No Gmo [Re: MissingArty]
RigaMortis Offline

Loc: Seneca Falls
http://www.iflscience.com/plants-and-ani...-safe-livestock

Studies have been done and repeated, there is no harm using GMO in food, the cites are sourced in the article. Anyone with any scientific knowledge could tell you when something is "organic" is to possess carbon atoms, which all living things do. Thus everything is already organic. It is a means to up the price and make these self satisfying hippies feel better about their lives and gives them another reason to complain about something.

I find it really hilarious that you people have the power of the internet at your disposal and still spew garbage out without any research.

#1463432 --- 11/27/14 12:34 PM Re: Seneca County Farmer goes Organic, No Gmo [Re: MissingArty]
RigaMortis Offline

Loc: Seneca Falls
BTW VM, citing sources from a .org website isn't really sourcing or having valid evidence. An ORGANIZATION can write whatever they believe on their websites, and poor schmucks like you eat it up and regurgitate it. Try locating an academic journal with scientists and credible sources.

Better yet, go to the Flat Earth Society site, it's .org, has a lot of useful information for you that you will obviously find to be 100% true.

#1463438 --- 11/28/14 10:15 AM Re: Seneca County Farmer goes Organic, No Gmo [Re: RigaMortis]
Timbo Offline
Silver Member

Loc: CNY
Originally Posted By: RigaMortis
http://www.iflscience.com/plants-and-ani...-safe-livestock

Studies have been done and repeated, there is no harm using GMO in food, the cites are sourced in the article. Anyone with any scientific knowledge could tell you when something is "organic" is to possess carbon atoms, which all living things do. Thus everything is already organic. It is a means to up the price and make these self satisfying hippies feel better about their lives and gives them another reason to complain about something.

I find it really hilarious that you people have the power of the internet at your disposal and still spew garbage out without any research.

Funnier yet, is to watch someone utterly humiliate themselves by publicly advertising their abject ignorance of and total confusion between such terms or subject matter as organic, natural, toxicity, carbon atoms, chemicals, living organisms, research and oh, yeah... science.

I'd say that the "Hippies" whom you refer to, have every right to be self satisfied. Unlike you, they appear to have taken the time to educate themselves on, at the very least, their definitions and striking distinctions. whistle

What you are describing, is "organic chemistry". An entirely different definition and subject than "organic food".

Also... not ALL chemical compounds are made up of carbon atoms. You are dead wrong about virtually every point you make. The fact that something is natural, organic, synthetic, reengineered, etc., makes it neither safe nor unsafe. PERIOD. To suggest (as you clearly do) that something has to be living to be organic, is patently false.

Lastly, there has never been a scientific determination that GMO foods are harmless. Only that that majority have found no significant dangers. There ARE however, several credible studies that strongly indicate potentially far reaching and catastrophic down-range side effects.

No single study is definitive, nor are they comprehensive. There is still much that is unknown on the subject.

Next time, before you go casting stones over someone's alleged use of pseudoscientific arguments, you should make darned sure that you aren't doing exactly the same thing, and that your own source materials hold up to proper scientific scrutiny. That article you link to, is a prime example of political cheerleading by way of "yellow scientific journalism".

http://chemwiki.ucdavis.edu/Organic_Chemistry/Case_Studies/What_is_Organic%3F#Organic_Foods

#1463667 --- 12/03/14 06:09 PM Re: Seneca County Farmer goes Organic, No Gmo [Re: MissingArty]
MissingArty Offline

#1463829 --- 12/08/14 09:36 AM Re: Seneca County Farmer goes Organic, No Gmo [Re: MissingArty]
MissingArty Offline

Although improved over the first draft, the FDA’s proposed food safety rules are still onerous enough that they could jeopardize the existence of many of our safest, local organic farms.

Tell the FDA that small farms are not food processing “facilities” necessitating expensive oversight and testing. (It could cost a family farm over $12,000 a year to comply!) Irrigation water should not have to meet the same safety standards as a community swimming pool. And it should be clear that older farmers, without Internet access, or the Amish, can submit reports on paper rather than the web.

At a minimum, please join farmers and their urban-allies by signing on to the letter below. Additionally, we especially encourage fresh market vegetable farmers to also, very carefully, read the full action alert and submit your individual comments, based on your own farming experience, to the FDA. Your livelihoods are at stake.

http://app.streamsend.com/s/1/9pOA/Bsu6Vqi/is3mp

#1463852 --- 12/08/14 08:48 PM Re: Seneca County Farmer goes Organic, No Gmo [Re: voice]
MissingArty Offline

Originally Posted By: voice
Organic farming is the biggest ripoff to consumers there is!

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2013/10/06/dr-huber-gmo-foods.aspx

You must not care about nature either.

Strum wrote.

"In a metaphysical sense, "society" is responsible for this country's environmental tragedy. But most Americans don't even know what the EPA does, much less have an understanding of "negligible risk." The responsibility for environmental poisonings lies on the shoulders of very few people in this country. Americans never approved biocides, risk assessment or the fraudulent science behind "regulation."

Industry has captured the EPA though the offices of Congress and the White House. That's why the EPA is misusing science for legitimizing the use of pesticides and, often, the poisoning of innocents. The American people and, especially, environmental organizations, must wake-up to this tragic reality."

http://www.truth-out.org/speakout/item/27840-the-poisoning-of-melyce

Edited by MissingArty (12/08/14 08:57 PM)

#1463880 --- 12/10/14 04:38 PM Re: Seneca County Farmer goes Organic, No Gmo [Re: MissingArty]
MissingArty Offline

Marked Deterioration of Public Health Parallels Increase in GM Crops and Glyphosate Use, US Government Data Show

http://www.i-sis.org.uk/Deterioration_of_Public_Health.php

#1463965 --- 12/16/14 12:40 AM Re: Seneca County Farmer goes Organic, No Gmo [Re: MissingArty]
MissingArty Offline

A must read for gluten/celiac folks.

"As a result, humans exposed to glyphosate through use of Roundup in their community or through ingestion of its residues on industrialized food products become even more vulnerable to the damaging effects of other chemicals and environmental toxins they encounter!

What’s worse is that the negative impact of glyphosate exposure is slow and insidious over months and years as inflammation gradually gains a foothold in the cellular systems of the body."

- See more at: http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/r...h.36UhZMLW.dpuf

#1464210 --- 12/26/14 11:05 PM Re: Seneca County Farmer goes Organic, No Gmo [Re: MissingArty]
MissingArty Offline

A Walk for GMO Labeling

Plan to Walk across America to Include Dialogue on Genetically Modified Organisms

On January 5, Santa Barbara resident Taylor Lancaster, 31, will go on a walk — a very long one. Beginning at Santa Monica beach, the Los Angeles–born Lancaster, who currently works at Yoga Soup as a desk yogi, intends to continue walking eastward, through the major cities of the desert, upward through the plains, and finally ending in Manhattan, in a transcontinental walk intended to cultivate discussions on genetically modified organisms (GMO).

http://www.independent.com/news/2014/dec/25/walk-gmo-labeling/

#1464214 --- 12/26/14 11:12 PM Re: Seneca County Farmer goes Organic, No Gmo [Re: MissingArty]
MissingArty Offline

David Suzuki: An elder's vision for our sustainable future

At 74, and coming the end of his scientific and broadcasting career, David Suzuki mused on the notion: "If I had one last lecture to give, what would I say?" The result is a very special talk full of humour, warmth, insight and passion.

At a packed house at the Perth Convention Centre, Suzuki voiced his long-time frustration at the obsession for economic growth at the sacrifice of nature, while urging us all to strive for a sustainable future.

The event was hosted by the Perth International Arts Festival and UWA Extension. He is introduced by Josh Byrne, who is a host on ABC Television's "Gardening Australia".

David Suzuki was born in Vancouver, Canada in 1936. He has had a long and prolific career as a scientist, environmentalist, broadcaster and author. His scientific field is genetics, but he is best known for his television and radio programs that examine and explain the natural sciences, including "The Secret of Life" and "A Planet for the Taking."

He is the co-founder and chair of the David Suzuki Foundation, which was established in 1989 to advocate and educate people about environmental conservation, sustainable ecology and climate change.

Suzuki has won many awards for his work including the 2009 Honorary "Right Livelihood Award." He has written over 48 books, his latest being "The Legacy: An Elder's Vision for Our Sustainable Future", on which the lecture he is delivering is based.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2b7SpLpN5A&list=LLpPMl2FQ6QaT9iWdjossy6Q&index=12

#1464215 --- 12/26/14 11:30 PM Re: Seneca County Farmer goes Organic, No Gmo [Re: MissingArty]
MissingArty Offline

Americans have for far too long been used as guinea pigs by the biotechnology industry - consuming far more GMO containing food than any other country, whether we want to or not.

What does it mean to insert a wheat gene into a chestnut tree? The only really honest answer to that question is that we really do not know.

http://www.truth-out.org/opinion/item/28...lk-in-the-woods

#1464398 --- 01/02/15 09:03 PM Re: Seneca County Farmer goes Organic, No Gmo [Re: MissingArty]
MissingArty Offline

Kathleen Hallal, one of the founding members of Moms Across America, interviews Dr Don Huber, a whistle blower in the food world. It's in four parts and if you can't take the time to watch all four, at least watch Part 3 and 4.

Dr. Huber is Professor Emeritus of Plant Pathology at Purdue University, a land grant institution, and has been studying plants for 55 years. He has received various awards for his scientific accomplishments and contributions to government. He was Cereal Pathologist at the University of Idaho for 8 years before joining the Department of Botany & Plant Pathology at Purdue University in 1971. His agricultural research the past 50 years has focused on the epidemiology and control of soil borne plant pathogens with emphasis on microbial ecology, cultural and biological controls, and physiology of host parasite relationships. He’s in his 80s, and he is also a father, a grandfather and has had a 41-year military career as a retired Colonel.

Part 1
Time Code List
1:50 Thank you for meeting with me
3:05 Dr. Huber's background
4:45 What are GMOs?
5:49 Is it true that GMOs are created using viruses and bacteria?
8:10 Are any of those viruses or bacteria still active when we eat the food?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlztFOWxdqo

Part 2
Question: How many ways are glyphosate containing herbicides used on crops that end up in our food supply?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7U2rEYHbFA

Part 3
Time Code List
0:01 Which crops exactly would be sprayed with glyphosate that mothers would have to look out for in the super market?
2:14 I was completely unaware that GMOs were grown in home gardens. I thought it was strictly for industrial agricultural production. Don't they sell BT corn at Walmart?
2:46 Please tell us what you are being told about the health of farm workers exposed to glyphosate. Has the application rate of glyphosate changed since 1996?
4:10 Why did the EPA raise the residue limits? Endocrine disruption (EDCs)?
5:26 Have GMOs been proven safe by the FDA?
7:03 What do scientists say about GMOs in the world community consensus?
8:35 Recap - FDA and safety, FDA scientists studies.

(Note that Dr. Huber said animals won't eat gmo corn but, remember, the meat you are buying in your grocery store is from animals that are forced to eat this gmo corn. I am greatful for Autumn's Harvest Farm, right here in Seneca County for going organic, non gmo.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFO_TvWTNy8

Part 4
Super bugs and super weeds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWQodcnkYD0&list=PLWlbMkC0m_Fa8vSUIsHJV-BrYf9xrNYpj&index=29

#1464442 --- 01/04/15 03:16 PM Re: Seneca County Farmer goes Organic, No Gmo [Re: MissingArty]
MissingArty Offline

Computer Bots against Vaccines
March 28, 2014 at 8:13am
From Jeff Hays, the producer of BOUGHT, the movie:

"She said he went on, “So we created a social media bot that searches conversation strings in all social media for these conversations...the bot then posts the fact that they are false and links them to the “real” data showing that vaccines are safe and don’t cause autism. So this is just one example of how we can use Big Data and bots to affect social change for good.”"

"The battle lines have been drawn. Our goal is to sidestep the battle, and force a discussion on 3 key issues of our day:

◾Big Pharma, its reach and effect on our health,

◾The truth about vaccine "safety and efficacy", and

◾The effect of GMOs on our health and our world."

https://www.facebook.com/notes/dr-tenpen...151953988518344

#1464579 --- 01/08/15 02:36 AM Re: Seneca County Farmer goes Organic, No Gmo [Re: MissingArty]
MissingArty Offline

This article was posted TODAY by the Institute of Science in Society. The study finds that gmos are harmful to health.

They advise to take immediate action to BAN GMOs from homes and local communities.

"To conclude

GMOs are once again found to be deleterious for health in a feeding trial that last no longer than 90 days. And within that time, the most widespread piece of transgenic DNA found in the GM diet, the CaMV 35S promoter, was found transferred horizontally into the animals’ tissues at high frequencies. The CaMV 35S promoter is not the only hazardous piece of transgenic DNA, there are similar aggressive promoters designed to make genes express out of context, as well as genes coding for antibiotics and other dangerous functions, together with numerous recombination hotspots that enhance horizontal gene transfer; all of which contribute to making all GMOs unsafe. That is indeed the conclusion from research carried out by scientists independent of the industry up to now, which fully corroborates what farmers have been witnessing in their livestock and doctors in their patients for years [14]. People need to take immediate action to ban GMOs from their own home and local communities. Governments should recall all GMOs from the market. And companies and regulators should face prosecution for causing damages to health and criminal negligence."

http://www.i-sis.org.uk/CaMV_35S_Promoter_in_GM_Feed_that_Sickened_Rats.php#.VK2TuoN2rtY.facebook

#1464580 --- 01/08/15 02:43 AM Re: Seneca County Farmer goes Organic, No Gmo [Re: MissingArty]
MissingArty Offline

Vote with your wallet

Buycott helps you to organize your everyday consumer spending so you can fund causes you support and avoid funding those you disagree with.

http://www.buycott.com/

The non gmo shopping guide from the Institute for Responsible Technology (also the producer of the documentary "Genetic Roulette"):

http://www.nongmoshoppingguide.com/

Genetic Roulette 17 minute trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAMlir8oprw

Whats On My Food Database? Pesticides

http://www.whatsonmyfood.org/index.jsp

#1464582 --- 01/08/15 02:48 AM Re: Seneca County Farmer goes Organic, No Gmo [Re: MissingArty]
MissingArty Offline

#1465731 --- 02/07/15 12:09 PM Re: Seneca County Farmer goes Organic, No Gmo [Re: MissingArty]
MissingArty Offline

An American mom took on Monsanto.

Full Account of Monsanto Shareholder Meeting Jan 30, 2015

Posted by Zen Honeycutt · February 01, 2015

I am here to say on behalf of struggling parents, STOP POISONING our children! Glyphosate—a patented antibiotic—has been detected in the air, water, food, our children’s urine, our breast milk, Fruit Loops and in nutrients fed to children with cancer, at levels THOUSANDS of times higher than what has been shown to destroy GUT BACTERIA—where 70% of the immune system lies.

Shareholder’s must know that: Without proper gut bacteria our bodies cannot make Tryptophan, Melatonin or Serotonin. Serotonin regulates insulin—and therefore diabetes, which is on course to bankrupt US Healthcare in 13 years.

Without serotonin and melatonin, our bodies cannot prevent insomnia, depression, anxiety, and bipolar disorder. 57.7 million American have mental illness today.

When the gut bacteria is destroyed, food particles and pathogens escape through the intestines, causing allergies and autoimmune diseases. Allergy ER visits have increased 265% since GMOs.

http://www.momsacrossamerica.com/full_account_of_monsanto_shareholder_meeting

#1481437 --- 02/05/16 02:35 PM Re: Seneca County Farmer goes Organic, No Gmo [Re: MissingArty]
MissingArty Offline

For current information see,

"Health & Wellness" forum,

"State of the Science of the Health Risks of GMO Food."

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >