FingerLakes1.com Forums
Topic Options
#1438511 --- 03/01/14 07:05 PM Chicken soup...
southwind Offline

Loc: waterloo
Excuse the spelling but wonder if anyone has ever made chicken soup with one of the "rotiserrie chickens" that one can buy at Tops...i think their delicious but would like to make soup with the carcass or maybe with the whole chicken..how did you go about it,,,just cook up the bones etc as you would normally ?? thanks..

FingerLakes1.com
#1438518 --- 03/02/14 12:08 AM Re: Chicken soup... [Re: southwind]
twocats Offline
Silver Member

Loc: NYS
I wouldn't use pre cooked chicken for soup. The chicken would turn out stringy. You could make a small soup from the carcass, then once the veggies are cooked, and the carcass is clean, you can add some of the cut up chicken.

I think it would be best to use a raw chicken though because the skin adds so much flavor to the broth. Good luck!

#1438519 --- 03/02/14 12:52 AM Re: Chicken soup... [Re: southwind]
teedoff27 Offline

Loc: S2Hphoto
I buy the reduced price *day old* Rotisserie chickens in the cooler, and Then at Aldi's I get celery/carrots, chicken stock, egg noodles, jar chicken gravy, and canned biscuits.

Meal 1: Pick apart chicken and add it to the 2 jars gravy, set aside remaining chicken pieces, cook biscuits. Warm chicken/gravy, place over biscuits and serve.

Meal 2: Half stick of butter, onions, carrots, and garlic in large stock pot. Saute them, then add carcass, carton of stock, and fill with water. Bring to a boil and reduce heat. Simmer for 1-2 hours. Remove from heat and cool. Paper towel in a strainer and atrain any fat at top. Then remove remaining carcass and strain out any stray bones/cartilage. Add chicken pieces and egg noodles. Warm to serve.

Note: I always make the soup the night I have the chicken and biscuits, so it can refrigerate overnight and let the *flavors meld*. I also butter any leftover biscuits and dip in my soup. smile

Hope you enjoy! 2 *comfort food* meals at a cheap price smile

#1438612 --- 03/02/14 12:35 PM Re: Chicken soup... [Re: southwind]
young guns Offline

Loc: USA
Man you all are making my stomach growl with hunger pains.

Today is a great soup day. Hell any day is a great soup day when it's cold like it has been.

#1438704 --- 03/03/14 05:10 AM Re: Chicken soup... [Re: southwind]
HeavenlyPlaces Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Someplace Else
I often make chicken broth (to freeze or to use immediately in making soup) using rotisserie chicken. I find that 2 of these (just the carcass because I remove the meat from the bones first...well, after devouring the wings, which are, in my opinion, the best part of these birds)fit nicely into my largest pot and after adding your basic stock pot items - leeks, celery, carrots, parsnips, herbs (including bay leaf, thyme, peppercorns, a couple of whole cloves, and whatever else I have on hand) and water (don't forget to add salt because without out it you might just as well make your soup from plain water), I simmer the bones for about 1 1/2 hours, strain it and let it chill so the fat will rise to the top, solidify and be easily removed. I also often strain it a second time to remove any remnants of the fat or other sediment before using it. I use a double layer of damp paper towels for straining because I love the absolutely clear broth I end up with as a result.

From there you can use this flavorful broth in pretty much any soup recipe or just heat it on it's own and sip it from a mug. Few calories but very satisfying!

#1438803 --- 03/03/14 12:47 PM Re: Chicken soup... [Re: twocats]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Ship of Fools
Quote:
I wouldn't use pre cooked chicken for soup.

Plus the food that's used in a grocery deli is the usually food that's about to become unsaleable due to age, according to a recent Reader's Digest. Same with cooked haddock, too, in the meat section, btw.

I pressure cook a fresh bird, with salt and spices, cool on a plate (briefly in freezer for speed, if needed), then strip. I use the cooker water as a base, and add some California (lowest arsenic) brown basmati rice, usually with some canned garden heirloom tomatoes, and simmer, adding the vegetables part way through, and the cooked meat last. I leave the tasty, nutritious, and healthful fat in. It's really not soup; it's chicken stew. The rice will absorb water and thicken it.

I usually use onions, carrots, celery, and one frozen jalapeno, adding the carrots 1st, then the celery and then the onions. I add the jalapeno, after slicing, with the rice.

I generally use sea salt, black pepper, tumeric, paprika, allspice, garlic flakes, and a touch of Ceylon cinnamon, which is milder and sweeter than the more common grocery variety, which is Cassia. I bought a pound from Amazon, and use it in/on several things, such as my canned homemade pink (cooked with skins, with some picked out before canning) applesauce, from my backyard tree (Macs), with no pesticides. What a taste difference the skins make, and they add nutrients, too!