FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1437374 --- 02/21/14 09:46 AM Missing money?
leeoh Offline

Loc: dundee
The Penn Yan Youth lacrosse league bank account has disappeared, the Village Police have suggested that if it found then they will find something else not to do.

Edited by leeoh (02/21/14 10:20 AM)

FingerLakes1.com
#1437442 --- 02/21/14 01:14 PM Re: Missing money? [Re: leeoh]
Mean Gene Offline

Loc: Yates County
Originally Posted By: leeoh
The Penn Yan Youth lacrosse league bank account has disappeared, the Village Police have suggested that if it found then they will find something else not to do.

This falls under the category of useless information. If a bank account is reported missing by a credible complainant I am sure the PD would look into it. Accounts don't disappear, there is always a paper trail on bank accounts.

#1437457 --- 02/21/14 01:54 PM Re: Missing money? [Re: Mean Gene]
leeoh Offline

Loc: dundee
Originally Posted By: Mean Gene
Originally Posted By: leeoh

This falls under the category of useless information. If a bank account is reported missing by a credible complainant I am sure the PD would look into it. Accounts don't disappear, there is always a paper trail on bank accounts.
The story is that there is a paper trail that confirms that almost $40,000 has disappeared from the account, the Village investigator was alleged to claim if the money was put back within 14 days that no charges would be filed. You should be able to make some calls to confirm this.

#1437474 --- 02/21/14 04:05 PM Re: Missing money? [Re: leeoh]
Mean Gene Offline

I would not make a call and ask about a pending case or supposedly pending case. Someone higher up than an "investigator" would be making the call if a complaint was filed about 40K missing.

If that is in fact true it would not be the first time a "pay it back" or get charged scenario came into play. I can think of one that another agency handled where someone paid back thousands of dollars to avoid being arrested and prosecuted. smile

#1437486 --- 02/21/14 04:52 PM Re: Missing money? [Re: Mean Gene]
Samuel Offline

Loc: Potter, NY
Here we go again in Penn Yan......

#1437496 --- 02/21/14 07:53 PM Re: Missing money? [Re: Samuel]
father Offline

Loc: NY
Not in PY.

#1437507 --- 02/22/14 12:43 AM Re: Missing money? [Re: Samuel]
de1 Offline

Loc: ny
Originally Posted By: Samuel
Here we go again in Penn Yan......

The Chronicle Express will get right on the story!! LOL!!

#1437547 --- 02/22/14 08:52 AM Re: Missing money? [Re: de1]
Samuel Offline

Loc: Potter, NY
Keep in mind first you have to make sure it IS a story. It's not a "complaint" until someone says it is from the lacrosse league.

#1437584 --- 02/22/14 04:57 PM Re: Missing money? [Re: Samuel]
de1 Offline

Originally Posted By: Samuel
Keep in mind first you have to make sure it IS a story. It's not a "complaint" until someone says it is from the lacrosse league.

Doesn't hurt to ask questions!

#1437704 --- 02/23/14 10:56 PM Re: Missing money? [Re: Mean Gene]
Holycow Offline

Loc: New York
It is interesting that this is being kept very quiet.....seems the story goes that $40-45k is missing from PY Youth Lax. I would think that if that is true, that the youth lax board would worry less about protecting its own than it would about recouping what is missing. Is it easier to recoup the funds by not prosecuting? If so then it might make sense. But then again, maybe the whole board is involved. The negative of not prosecuting is what is to prevent the individual(s) from doing it again with another organization? Regardless, if funds have been stolen, the kids are once again the ones to lose out. Parents, kids, and businesses, etc have worked very hard to fund raise that amount and the lowlife that took the cash should be arrested and forfeit whatever personal property they have to make restitution immediately. Maybe the individual(s) could then run for village board! Sad state of affairs our little town is in.

#1437740 --- 02/24/14 09:31 AM Re: Missing money? [Re: Holycow]
Mean Gene Offline

If its true it probably is another case of people trusting people and no checks and balances being in place or followed. Reminds me of the a service organization many years ago. They had a system of checks and balances in place. Problem was the trustees trusted the treasurer and never asked to see the actual bank statements every month. Just accepted his computer printouts showing they had 75K in their account. They found out all the money was missing when the treasurer ended up in the hospital. Someone wrote a check and it bounced!

Hope the program doesn't lose out on the money. I am wondering why a youth lacrosse program would need over forty thousand dollars to run the program? smile

#1438069 --- 02/26/14 04:06 PM Re: Missing money? [Re: leeoh]
John L Pettymore Offline

Loc: Copperhead Road
I have also heard these various rumors surrounding missing money from the Penn Yan Youth Lacrosse and there appears to be a great deal of buzz floating around about what organization this is. This organization is in no way connected to the high school lacrosse program or the summer box lacrosse program run at the box rink on Powell Lane. This organization is run by parents and volunteers and not connected to these other organizations in any manner.

#1441533 --- 03/25/14 07:39 PM Re: Missing money? [Re: John L Pettymore]
de1 Offline

Police: PY man stole $38k from youth lacrosse

FingerLakes1.com
3/25/14 @ 4:20 pm <<< Home

On Monday, Penn Yan Village Police arrested the former president of the Penn Yan Youth Lacrosse League and charged him with 3rd degree grand larceny for taking league funds in excess of $38,000 for his personal use.

41-year-old Jarrod Strong of Flat Street in Penn Yan was charged with 3rd degree grand larceny, a Class D felony, after police investigated a complaint of missing funds from the PYYLL. The investigation revealed that Strong, then president of the organization, had taken funds from the league for his personal use in excess of $38,000 over a period spanning from December 2012 - November 2013.

He was arraigned in Penn Yan Village Court where he was released on his own recognizance to appear at a later date.

On an unrelated matter, Strong was also charged with issuing a bad check for an incident occuring on February 12, 2014 when he issued a check to Pinckney Hardware in Penn Yan that was returned as not payable. He will also reappear in court to answer that charge.

#1441534 --- 03/25/14 07:41 PM Re: Missing money? [Re: de1]
de1 Offline

I don't understand how somebody could steal that amount of money in less than a year without somebody catching on!

#1441556 --- 03/25/14 09:56 PM Re: Missing money? [Re: de1]
Mean Gene Offline

Originally Posted By: de1
I don't understand how somebody could steal that amount of money in less than a year without somebody catching on!

Its easy, no checks and balances. obviously he was trusted and no one ever looked at the original bank statements to verify what was in the accounts. Check out the following two Grand larcenies as examples:

Penn Yan man steals over 75K from a service organization over the period of two years. It was discovered when he went in the hospital and someone else wrote a check and it bounced. This happened despite a monthly meeting with three trustees of the club to go over finances. The trustees took him at his word and the nice computer printout he gave them every month telling them how much money they had. They never asked to see an actual bank statement.

Penn Yan bank teller steals over 12K from drawer while working at a local bank. Done over a period of several months. How did she do it? She realized that the bank was not following its own procedures on counting cash drawers like they were suppose to so she just kept "borrowing money" from her drawer.

Penn Yan teller steals 2K from proceeds of a business night deposit. Again, no checks and balances followed. Employee realized that the bank did not follow its procedure of having two people opening the night deposit and counting the money. They skipped the second part and let individual tellers count deposits. Made it easy to slip an envelope in her clothing and announce that there were only 11 drops in the bag that they gave her instead of 12!!

#1441557 --- 03/25/14 09:58 PM Re: Missing money? [Re: leeoh]
Mean Gene Offline

Here's a better question, why would the youth lacrosse league have that much money sitting around? How much does it cost to run such a league. smile

#1441558 --- 03/25/14 10:00 PM Re: Missing money? [Re: leeoh]
Mean Gene Offline

Grand Larceny 3rd: steals property valued at least 3K and worth less than 50K.

#1441572 --- 03/26/14 01:43 AM Re: Missing money? [Re: Mean Gene]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Ship of Fools
Gene, I'm always looking for good sources for sig lines. Yours is a winner; where did you get it?

#1441612 --- 03/26/14 10:07 AM Re: Missing money? [Re: VM Smith]
Mean Gene Offline

Ask me what I had for breakfast, I would have a good chance of remembering that!! smile I can't remember where I saw it, I probably should have given the author credit when I posted it.

#1441731 --- 03/26/14 02:36 PM Re: Missing money? [Re: leeoh]
retmac Offline

Loc: Penn Yan
It's simply amazing how the wolves start to circle when they smell conspiracy in the air.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >