FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... 9 10 >
Topic Options
#1436784 - 02/17/14 11:40 AM Florida jury finds Michael Dunn guilty in 'loud music' murder case
Festus Offline

Loc: On yer nerves.
The jury in the “loud music” case has found Michael Dunn guilty of three counts of attempted second-degree murder for firing his gun at a car of teenagers. But jury members could not reach a verdict on the charge of first-degree murder in the death of 17-year-old Jordan Davis. Mr. Dunn faces 20-60 years in prison. Sentencing will take place next month.

The Christian Science Monitor

FingerLakes1.com
#1436791 - 02/17/14 01:00 PM Re: Florida jury finds Michael Dunn guilty in 'loud music' murder case [Re: Festus]
Lucinda Knotts Offline

Loc: USA
I'll never understand the rationale of the laws in Florida, I guess. How is it that someone can shoot 9 bullets into a car occupied by four people, killing one of them, and only be found guilty of "attempted" murder. The word "attempted," in my mind, implies that Dunn tried to do something but failed to accomplish his objective. Seems to me like he was successful with regard to the 17 year old that died.

#1436794 - 02/17/14 01:45 PM Re: Florida jury finds Michael Dunn guilty in 'loud music' murder case [Re: Lucinda Knotts]
twocats Offline
Silver Member

Loc: NYS
It should say, "Welcome to Florida."

#1436798 - 02/17/14 01:57 PM Re: Florida jury finds Michael Dunn guilty in 'loud music' murder case [Re: ]
Lucinda Knotts Offline

Originally Posted By: Fritz
Keep guessing Cindy!

Do you ever have any intelligent replies, Fritz, or is your brain constantly leaking drivel?

#1436824 - 02/17/14 03:35 PM Re: Florida jury finds Michael Dunn guilty in 'loud music' murder case [Re: Festus]
twocats Offline
Silver Member

#1436835 - 02/17/14 04:43 PM Re: Florida jury finds Michael Dunn guilty in 'loud music' murder case [Re: twocats]
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

just think these incidents would not have happened if the teenagers respected their elders

#1436852 - 02/17/14 07:24 PM Re: Florida jury finds Michael Dunn guilty in 'loud music' murder case [Re: bluezone]
Lucinda Knotts Offline

Originally Posted By: bluezone

just think these incidents would not have happened if the teenagers respected their elders

So, hypothetically, if I were to run into you in Florida and I felt you had not shown me proper respect, I would be justified in shooting you? crazy

#1436853 - 02/17/14 07:28 PM Re: Florida jury finds Michael Dunn guilty in 'loud music' murder case [Re: ]
Lucinda Knotts Offline

Originally Posted By: Lucinda Knotts
Keep guessing Cindy!

Do you ever have any intelligent replies, Fritz, or is your brain constantly leaking drivel?
Stop bulling me, Cindy Lu! Where's that liberal compassion for your fellow man that you libstains keep flapping your gums!?
With that sort of response, I think you've answered my question, Harley.

#1436863 - 02/17/14 09:12 PM Re: Florida jury finds Michael Dunn guilty in 'loud music' murder case [Re: Lucinda Knotts]
twocats Offline
Silver Member

#1436866 - 02/17/14 09:52 PM Re: Florida jury finds Michael Dunn guilty in 'loud music' murder case [Re: Festus]
Fud_P Offline

Loc: Interlaken, NY

#1436871 - 02/17/14 10:18 PM Re: Florida jury finds Michael Dunn guilty in 'loud music' murder case [Re: Lucinda Knotts]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Ship of Fools
Quote:
The word "attempted," in my mind, implies that Dunn tried to do something but failed to accomplish his objective.

The jury deliberated, and then disagreed with your guess that he tried to kill someone. They didn't agree that there was enough evidence to prove intent. That's why we use juries instead of Ouija boards.

#1436873 - 02/17/14 10:28 PM Re: Florida jury finds Michael Dunn guilty in 'loud music' murder case [Re: twocats]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Besides your syg cartoon being untrue, the syg law has nothing to do with this case.

#1436874 - 02/17/14 10:30 PM Re: Florida jury finds Michael Dunn guilty in 'loud music' murder case [Re: twocats]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Nobody said the deadly force was justified; the jury said there wasn't enough evidence to prove 1st degree. The overreaching charge was a prosecutorial blunder. If the DA had been smart enough to go for 2nd, then there would have been a conviction on it.

#1436877 - 02/17/14 10:41 PM Re: Florida jury finds Michael Dunn guilty in 'loud music' murder case [Re: VM Smith]
Festus Offline

Loc: On yer nerves.
Originally Posted By: VM Smith
Nobody said the deadly force was justified; the jury said there wasn't enough evidence to prove 1st degree. The overreaching charge was a prosecutorial blunder. If the DA had been smart enough to go for 2nd, then there would have been a conviction on it.

You really need to keep up with current events.

Quote:
Jurors were also allowed to consider the lesser included charges Second Degree Murder and Manslaughter by Act, but the 12 person jury could not reach a unanimous verdict on any of those options.

http://www.wokv.com/news/news/murder-charge-deadlock-dunn-jury-makes-final-push-/ndQNM/

#1436883 - 02/17/14 11:30 PM Re: Florida jury finds Michael Dunn guilty in 'loud music' murder case [Re: twocats]
twocats Offline
Silver Member

Originally Posted By: twocats

We can now add eggs to this photo.

An Arkansas man is facing first degree murder charges after he allegedly shot a 15-year-old girl to death over the weekend because she was participating in a prank on his 16-year-old son.

Shortly before 1:00 a.m. on Saturday morning, Little Rock Police responded to the Kum & Go gas station after a call about a shooting, according to KARK. Officers found a white Hyundai Sonata with bullet holes, broken glass, and four teens between the ages of 14 and 18.

A 15-year-old girl who was inside the car was identified as Adrian Broadway. She later died from a gunshot wound after being taken to nearby hospital. The car’s 18-year-old driver, Dshone Nelson, suffered minor injuries from broken glass.

The surviving teen victims reportedly told police that they had attempted to prank 48-year-old Willie Noble’s son by covering his car in eggs and leaves, KTHV reported.

“Apparently Mr. Noble’s teenage son had done a prank on some of the kids that were inside the vehicle on Halloween Night,” Lieutenant Sidney Allen explained. “As a result they were doing a retaliation prank and it ultimately had deadly results.”

After the shooting, the driver attempted to flee the scene to get help.

“It was a joke. We was friends, we was gonna come over there and clean it up,” 16-year-old Kortazha Williams, who was in the car, told KTHV. “It was supposed to be a prank; we were supposed to get up right now, and we were supposed to laugh.”

Adrian Broadway’s family and friends gathered at for a candlelight vigil on Sunday night at Benny Craig Park.

Noble was charged first degree murder, committing a terrorist act, and five counts of aggravated assault.

#1436901 - 02/18/14 06:09 AM Re: Florida jury finds Michael Dunn guilty in 'loud music' murder case [Re: VM Smith]
Teonan Offline

Loc: Cayuga bioregion
The overreaching charge was a prosecutorial blunder.

It's Florida's "Stand Your Ground" law, that's overreaching.

Here is the language of the statute in part:

A person is justified in using force, except deadly force, against another when and to the extent that the person reasonably believes that such conduct is necessary to defend himself or herself or another against the other’s imminent use of unlawful force. However, a person is justified in the use of deadly force and does not have a duty to retreat if:

(1) He or she reasonably believes that such force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another or to prevent the imminent commission of a forcible felony...

Like Zimmerman, all that was necessary for Dunn to pop a cap on a Black youth was to work up a few 'fear tears'; thereby fulfilling the intent of the law

Beyond sickening.

"Although Michael Dunn was convicted of lesser crimes for brutally murdering an African American child, 17-year old Jordan Davis, the jury could not bring itself to convict Dunn for the crime he committed; first degree murder. Now, Dunn lied to convince jurors he was fulfilling the “stand your ground” requirement that he was in imminent danger he and his lawyer claim qualified Dunn for immunity from prosecution under the American Legislative Exchange Council and NRA-written “Stand Your Ground” law. Dunn was charged with first-degree murder, three counts of first-degree attempted murder, and one count of shooting or throwing a deadly missile. Jurors also were given the option of considering lesser charges of second-degree murder, manslaughter, second-degree attempted murder and attempted manslaughter; the jury opted for the lesser charges because a white man killed an unarmed African American boy."

Article here:
http://www.politicususa.com/2014/02/16/michael-dunns-racism-hidden-stand-ground.html

#1436918 - 02/18/14 10:13 AM Re: Florida jury finds Michael Dunn guilty in 'loud music' murder case [Re: VM Smith]
Lucinda Knotts Offline

Quote:
The word "attempted," in my mind, implies that Dunn tried to do something but failed to accomplish his objective.

The jury deliberated, and then disagreed with your guess that he tried to kill someone. They didn't agree that there was enough evidence to prove intent. That's why we use juries instead of Ouija boards.

Could you clarify, please? If, as you say, the jury deliberated but disagreed with my "guess" that he was trying to kill someone, why did they convict him on three counts of attempted murder? Perhaps you could elaborate on the difference you see between "attempting" to do something and "trying" to do something.

#1436922 - 02/18/14 10:33 AM Re: Florida jury finds Michael Dunn guilty in 'loud music' murder case [Re: Lucinda Knotts]
Timbo Offline

Loc: CNY

This should be good.

#1436931 - 02/18/14 11:13 AM Re: Florida jury finds Michael Dunn guilty in 'loud music' murder case [Re: ]
Timbo Offline

Are you saying that everyone walking home with a six pack of beer should be shot and killed?

It's no different.

#1436964 - 02/18/14 02:22 PM Re: Florida jury finds Michael Dunn guilty in 'loud music' murder case [Re: ]
Timbo Offline

Sadly for me, I live but a stone's throw from you.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... 9 10 >