FingerLakes1.com Forums
Topic Options
#1436652 --- 02/15/14 09:41 PM What's Wrong With 2,4-D Herbicide?
MissingArty Offline

Loc: Waterloo, NY
"Looking beyond the imminent threats to clean water and health posed by much heavier use of 2,4-D , there is an unanswered question about 2,4-D and dioxins, one of the most potent and persistent group of carcinogens on the planet. Although many known sources of dioxins have been eliminated or controlled, nobody can explain why right now, today, there are enough dioxins in a conventionally produced hot dog to exceed a child’s dietary maximum for the day."

http://www.motherearthnews.com/nature-and-environment/24d-herbicide-zb0z1402zsto.aspx

FingerLakes1.com
#1436740 --- 02/16/14 09:22 PM Re: What's Wrong With 2,4-D Herbicide? [Re: MissingArty]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Ship of Fools
Nice post, and 2,4-D is definitely a major problem, but I am one who thinks there is enough hotdog in the average hotdog to exceed any person's dietary maximum. Maltodextrin is a source of MSG, fi:

What’s Really Inside? Shocking Anatomy of a Hot Dog

Melissa Breyer
Living / Green Food
June 26, 2012

Last year, Americans purchased more than 700 million packages of hot dogs at retail stores (and that’s excluding sales from Wal-Mart, which doesn't report numbers). Figure in restaurants, food carts, circuses, ballparks and the like, and that’s a lot of dogs. In fact, the National Hot Dog and Sausage Council estimates that Americans consume 20 billion hot dogs annually.

The country’s most beloved tube of meat is Sara Lee’s Ball Park brand, which eclipsed sales of Oscar Mayer in 2010. Other media outlets have pulled back the curtain on hot dog ingredients in the past -- and since we’re at the start of prime hot dog season, it seems as good a time as any to take another look at the who’s who of hot dog ingredients.

So without further ado, before the Fourth of July grills are aflame, here's the skinny on America's winning wiener, the Original Ball Park frank:

Mechanically separated turkey: Looking more like strawberry frosting than blended meat and bone bits, the USDA defines mechanically separated poultry (MSP) as “a paste-like and batter-like poultry product produced by forcing bones, with attached edible tissue, through a sieve or similar device under high pressure to separate bone from the edible tissue.” Hot dogs can contain any amount of mechanically separated chicken or turkey.

Pork: According to 1994 USDA rules, any meat labeled as the meat it is can be taken off the bone by advanced meat recovery (AMR) machinery that "separates meat from bone by scraping, shaving, or pressing the meat from the bone without breaking or grinding the bone."

Water The USDA states that hot dogs must contain less than 10 percent water.

Corn syrup: A combo of cornstarch and acids, corn syrup is used as a thickener and sweetener, as MSNBC notes -- it contains no nutrients but does add extra calories.

Beef: In 2004, to protect consumers against Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy (mad cow disease), mechanically separated beef was considered inedible and prohibited for use as human food, so be glad you won't be finding it in your dog.

Salt: Hot dogs are salty, that's part of their job. And in fact, each one has about 480 milligrams, the rough equivalent of 20 percent of your recommended daily allowance.

Potassium lactate: This hydroscopic, white, odorless solid is prepared commercially by the neutralization of lactic acid with potassium hydroxide. The FDA allows its use as as a flavor enhancer, flavoring agent, humectant, pH control agent, and for inhibiting the growth of certain pathogens.

Sodium phosphates: Any of three sodium salt of phosphoric acids that can be used as a food preservative or to add texture -- because texture is important when you're eating a tube of meat paste.

Flavorings: Under current FDA guidelines, most flavoring agents allowed to be listed as "flavor" rather specified individually, so, this remains a bit of a mystery.

Beef stock: You know the drill: Boiled water with pieces of muscle, bones, joints, connective tissue and other scraps of the carcass.

Sodium diacetate: This is a molecular compound of acetic acid, sodium acetate, and water of hydration. The FDA allows its use as an antimicrobial agent, a flavoring agent and adjuvant, a pH control agent, and as an inhibitor of the growth of certain pathogens.

Sodium erythorbate: A sodium salt of erythorbic acid, it is often used as a preservative and helps meat-based products keep their rosy hue. Side effects have been reported, such as dizziness, gastrointestinal issues, headaches and on occasion, kidney stones.

Maltodextrin: Basically, a filler and/or thickening agent used in processed foods, it's a compound made from cooked starch, corn, or wheat.

Sodium nitrate: This common preservative helps preserve the red color of cured meat -- although studies have shown that consuming sodium nitrite may increase cancer risk and trigger migraines. Animal studies have linked sodium nitrates to an increased risk of cancer.

Extractives of paprika: An oil-based extract from the paprika plant -- natural ingredient! -- used for color and longer shelf life.

For natural, organic hot dogs that have a minimal ingredient list, try hot dogs from Applegate Farms or other all-natural meat makers.

#1436744 --- 02/16/14 09:40 PM Re: What's Wrong With 2,4-D Herbicide? [Re: VM Smith]
twocats Offline
Silver Member

Loc: NYS
I'm a fan of Zweigle's hot dogs char-blackened over an open flame then smothered with more salty via Heinz ketchup.

I may die young, but I'll die happy. smile
. I believe two things that seriously conflict with each other. First, I think genetics have a great deal of influence in how long we live. I also believe everyone has a predetermined amount of time here, and when your time is up, your time is up, no matter how you live your life.
Besides, both of my Grandmothers lived into their 90's. They were independent right up to the very end. One quit smoking at age 50, after her heart attack. The only thing that plagued them were bum knees. I've already got one from a skiing accident many years ago. It didn't hurt until after 40, and only acts up once in a while, but still....

#1436755 --- 02/17/14 12:04 AM Re: What's Wrong With 2,4-D Herbicide? [Re: MissingArty]
young guns Offline

Loc: USA
Herbicides. Damn don't even want to get me going about that issue

Another Great USG lie.

#1437164 --- 02/19/14 09:34 PM Re: What's Wrong With 2,4-D Herbicide? [Re: MissingArty]
MissingArty Offline

"There is one company that may even be worse than Monsanto. And unless we act soon, that company is going to start contaminating our farms and our food in ways we have never seen before. Meet the Dow Chemical company."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/andrew-kim...65517b=facebook

#1437170 --- 02/19/14 11:30 PM Re: What's Wrong With 2,4-D Herbicide? [Re: twocats]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Quote:
The only thing that plagued them were bum knees. I've already got one from a skiing accident many years ago.

Well, there you go! You've now got your bum knee...you're down with the family program, and on your way to 100, young lady! Mess up the other one, and I figure you'll limp along until you're 109. grin

#1437712 --- 02/24/14 02:56 AM Re: What's Wrong With 2,4-D Herbicide? [Re: twocats]
MissingArty Offline

Originally Posted By: twocats
I'm a fan of Zweigle's hot dogs char-blackened over an open flame then smothered with more salty via Heinz ketchup.

I may die young, but I'll die happy. smile
. I believe two things that seriously conflict with each other. First, I think genetics have a great deal of influence in how long we live. I also believe everyone has a predetermined amount of time here, and when your time is up, your time is up, no matter how you live your life.
Besides, both of my Grandmothers lived into their 90's. They were independent right up to the very end. One quit smoking at age 50, after her heart attack. The only thing that plagued them were bum knees. I've already got one from a skiing accident many years ago. It didn't hurt until after 40, and only acts up once in a while, but still....

Twocats, you are wrong and need a little more education under your belt. Your grandparents and parents ate real food which enabled them to bring you into this world healthy and whole, a natural human.

Genetic enginering is affecting our future generations. There is a connection between the gut and the brain and when you mess with the gut, there's changes in the brain and changes in dna.

You have every right to kill yourself but, the kids didn't ask to be used as a science experiment. They didn't ask to be born as a gmo human. What will your answer be when one of your future grandkids asked why this happened and why didn't you do anything about it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAHp_PS1ohM&list=PLKpK7w40NKS6YC6S-7j5Sdh1zRs-wT3gz

#1437822 --- 02/24/14 05:36 PM Re: What's Wrong With 2,4-D Herbicide? [Re: MissingArty]
twocats Offline
Silver Member

Loc: NYS
Sorry, MissingArty. No kids or grandkids here.

#1438413 --- 02/28/14 04:15 PM Re: What's Wrong With 2,4-D Herbicide? [Re: MissingArty]
MissingArty Offline

Five New Reasons Monsanto’s ‘Science’ Doesn’t Add Up

http://www.organicconsumers.org/articles/article_29419.cfm

#1438504 --- 03/01/14 05:13 PM Re: What's Wrong With 2,4-D Herbicide? [Re: MissingArty]
young guns Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: MissingArty
"There is one company that may even be worse than Monsanto. And unless we act soon, that company is going to start contaminating our farms and our food in ways we have never seen before. Meet the Dow Chemical company."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/andrew-kim...65517b=facebook

Not the companies per say but the USG that let's these companies get away with it, "Pocket lining" I call it.
just like Agent Orange the USH knew about the health effect but choose to ignore it and used it on innocent people of Vietnam as well as our Warriors. There reason was it would save lives BS it's still killing humans as well as animals.

#1438942 --- 03/04/14 11:37 PM Last Chance to tell the USDA No to Agent Orange Corn. [Re: MissingArty]
MissingArty Offline

#1439039 --- 03/05/14 02:35 PM Re: What's Wrong With 2,4-D Herbicide? [Re: MissingArty]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

#1439428 --- 03/08/14 11:11 PM Re: What's Wrong With 2,4-D Herbicide? [Re: MissingArty]
MissingArty Offline

SIGN the petition to demand that Scotts stop their Roundup Ready GMO grass: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/354/661/966/stop-scotts-gmo-grass-in-its-tracks-now/

Will our children be rolling in Roundup? Coming soon to a playground near you - another excuse to sell more Roundup. Scotts has released Roundup Ready GMO Kentucky Bluegrass into our environment. Employees have started planting at their homes. Not only on our food but now in our yards & athletic fields where our children play and our pets run. The USDA doesn't care. DO YOU? If you care, tell Scotts: NO ROUNDUP READY GMO GRASS. BOYCOTT SCOTTS Miracle-Gro, also an authorized distributor of Monsanto's Roundup.

Post on Scott's FB page: https://www.facebook.com/scottslawn

BOYCOTT ALL SCOTTS PRODUCTS: http://www.scotts.com/smg/templates/index.jsp?pageUrl=otherBrandsCategory

CALL SCOTTS during business hours and tell them you are telling everyone you know to boycott their products - NO GMO GRASS: 1-888-270-3714

READ about GMO Roundup Ready Kentucky Bluegrass: http://sustainablepulse.com/2014/02/04/gmo-grass-set-lawns-across-us-regulation-needed/

READ the latest toxicity study on Roundup: http://gmoseralini.org/pesticide-evaluations-dishonest-and-misleading-new-study-shows/

#1439429 --- 03/09/14 05:08 AM Organic Farmer says no recovery from 2-4D drift [Re: MissingArty]
MissingArty Offline

#1439523 --- 03/09/14 09:20 PM Re: What's Wrong With 2,4-D Herbicide? [Re: MissingArty]
Teonan Offline

Loc: The Annex

Signed. Thank you for sharing the informative links.