FingerLakes1.com Forums
Topic Options
#1433384 --- 01/20/14 08:27 PM Worship of authority...why?
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Ship of Fools
http://www.counterpunch.org/2014/01/20/on-the-worship-of-authority/

JANUARY 20, 2014

Hero Cops?
On The Worship of Authority
by KEVIN CARSON

On Monday, January 13, two Fullerton, California police officers charged with the beating death of Kelly Thomas were acquitted, and the prosecutor announced his decision not to press charges against a third officer involved. Millions who had been following the story met the verdict with incredulity: How could anyone who watched that horrific video of Thomas pinned down and brutally beaten with fists and batons, begging for his life and calling out for his father, have possibly returned any verdict but guilty?

The answer lies in a famous psychological experiment — the Milgram Experiment — conducted in 1961. This experiment, conducted when the Nuremberg trials were still a recent memory, led subjects to believe they were torturing a fellow subject in the next room (who in fact was a confederate pretending to be a volunteer, and suffered no actual pain) with increasingly powerful electric shocks. Reassured by scientists in white coats that they would assume all responsibility, and urged to continue, subjects continued to (so far as they knew) inflict more and more painful shocks on their fellow subjects, even as the screams became louder and then went silent. In short, these people were willing to inflict pain on strangers who were begging for mercy, to the point of unconsciousness and possible death, based on the assurances of “responsible authority figures,” so long as the victim was framed as an outsider.

Developmental psychologists tell us that children are initially socialized to view political authority as an extension of their parents’ authority. The president is first viewed as a sort of Mommy or Daddy, with all Americans as the family. Gradually actors like Congress, the courts, and so forth enter the picture — at first understood as simply “helpers” to the President, and only later as constitutional checks to presidential authority. But the aura of parental authority persists, on a subliminal level, even then.

This continuing aura of authority stimulates a tendency to give political leaders the benefit of the doubt when they start wars (“they must be privy to information that we’re not”) and to view formal systems of authority as things that exist by popular consent in order to address common problems (“the government is just all of us”). Nowhere is this ingrained tendency more evident than in the view of police officers inculcated in small children. “The policeman is your friend.” “If you’re ever in trouble or need help, call a policeman.” “They must have been doing something wrong, or they wouldn’t have been arrested.”

But this is simply untrue. Perhaps in years past, police were mostly benign presences in neighborhoods or small towns where local residents had long known both each other and the officer on the beat (although even here things might not seem so benign to vagrants or members of racial minorities). But today a major portion of officers on metropolitan police forces of any size are people who self-selected police work based on authoritarian personalities and a desire to brutalize others; another portion are encultured into brutality after they join the force, and most of those who don’t fall into either of the first two categories learn to honor the blue code of silence when they witness brutality by others in their “band of brothers.”

What happened to Thomas is standard police operating procedure in most jurisdictions: Continue to brutalize someone who’s been rendered physically incapable of resistance — other than involuntary spasms from unbearable agony — while continuing to yell “Stop resisting! Stop resisting!” Local police forces are sordid empires of criminality based on planted evidence, entrapment, coerced testimony, “civil forfeiture” racketeering with stolen property and dogs trained to falsely alert on command. Thanks to the gravy train of federal military surplus hardware and military cross-training, police forces are militarized to the point that SWAT teams are used to serve routine search or arrest warrants — battering down doors, shooting pets, ransacking houses and terror families in the dead of night just like Soviet or Nazi-era secret police. Police forces increasingly view civilians as an occupied enemy population to be awed with random shows of force.

Until most people abandon their state-inculcated respect for uniformed authority, and their willingness to treat officially defined outsiders as the “other,” the Rodney King and Kelly Thomas verdicts — and uncounted such verdicts yet unnamed — will continue.

Kevin Carson is a senior fellow of the Center for a Stateless Society (c4ss.org) and holds the Center’s Karl Hess Chair in Social Theory.

FingerLakes1.com
#1433418 --- 01/21/14 11:16 AM Re: Worship of authority...why? [Re: ]
Lucinda Knotts Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Fritz
State need to enact laws like Indiana.
http://www.allgov.com/news/top-stories/i...ers?news=844609
Two quotes from the Bloomberg News link that was included in the one you provided, Fritz. It sounds like these guys are talking about people like you.

NRA-Backed Law Spells Out When Indianans May Open Fire on Police

Originally Posted By: Bloomberg News, regarding using deadly force to resist police
Every time police Sergeant Joseph Hubbard stops a speeder or serves a search warrant, he says he worries suspects assume they can open fire -- without breaking the law.

Hubbard, a 17-year veteran of the police department in Jeffersonville, Indiana, says his apprehension stems from a state law... that allows residents to use deadly force in response to the "unlawful intrusion" by a "public servant" to protect themselves and others, or their property.

"If I pull over a car and I walk up to it and the guy shoots me, he's going to say, 'Well, he was trying to illegally enter my property,' " said Hubbard, 40, who is president of Jeffersonville Fraternal Order of Police Lodge 100. "Somebody is going get away with killing a cop because of this law."

Originally Posted By: Bloomberg News, regarding using deadly force to resist police
In Clay County, Indiana, outside Terre Haute, the Sheriff's Department changed its procedures because of the law. Detectives in plain clothes and unmarked cars now must be accompanied by a uniformed officer on calls to homes, Sheriff Michael Heaton said.

"I'm not worried about the law-abiding citizens," said Heaton, who also is president of the Indiana Sheriff's Association. "It's the ones that really don't understand the law and they just think, 'Cop shows up at my door, I can do whatever I want to him.' "

#1433423 --- 01/21/14 11:50 AM Re: Worship of authority...why? [Re: ]
Lucinda Knotts Offline

Police officers ordering people to drop to their knees and executing them -- is that your idea of what police officers do everywhere on a daily basis? Or do you believe that every time a police officer approaches you he/she is going to try to kill you? If so, you'd better lay off the hallucinogens, Fritz.

#1433433 --- 01/21/14 12:43 PM Re: Worship of authority...why? [Re: ]
Lucinda Knotts Offline

And......? On the basis of one or two widely separated incidents, your awesome powers of reasoning lead you to conclude that incidents like this are happening all over on a daily basis? Like I said before, Fritz, lay off the hallucinogens.

#1433464 --- 01/21/14 04:26 PM Re: Worship of authority...why? [Re: Lucinda Knotts]
Josephus Offline
Silver Member

Loc: NYS
Originally Posted By: Lucinda Knotts
And......? On the basis of one or two widely separated incidents, your awesome powers of reasoning lead you to conclude that incidents like this are happening all over on a daily basis? Like I said before, Fritz, lay off the hallucinogens.

My guess is that we're only getting half the story here.

#1433466 --- 01/21/14 04:31 PM Re: Worship of authority...why? [Re: Josephus]
Timbo Offline
Silver Member

Loc: CNY

Of that, you can be certain.

#1433525 --- 01/22/14 05:38 AM Re: Worship of authority...why? [Re: VM Smith]
SportsRef1 Offline

Loc: Seneca County
and only blind liberals would believe everything the Govt. tells them......

http://dailycaller.com/2014/01/22/epic-p...h-this-mistake/

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/01/22/gra...tcmp=latestnews

http://dailycaller.com/2014/01/21/cop-br...h-you-a-lesson/

fortunately he will likely be indicted by a full panel.....I think this sort of behavior happens more LK than any of us would like to believe.

#1433630 --- 01/22/14 10:04 PM Re: Worship of authority...why? [Re: SportsRef1]
Timbo Offline
Silver Member

All very interesting indeed, but how does any of that suggest a worship of authority ? ? ?

#1433668 --- 01/23/14 11:25 AM Re: Worship of authority...why? [Re: ]
Timbo Offline
Silver Member

Quote:
On the basis of one or two widely separated incidents

Lady you need to wake-up and look around, its happening in every state a city in the country.

I've told you a million times, stop exaggerating!

For argument's sake, please provide evidence from just the top 100 largest cities.

#1433675 --- 01/23/14 11:38 AM Re: Worship of authority...why? [Re: ]
Lucinda Knotts Offline

Quote:
On the basis of one or two widely separated incidents

Lady you need to wake-up and look around, its happening in every state a city in the country.
I agree that there are incidents of police misconduct which occur nearly everywhere in the country. But they are the exception, not the rule. That's the reason that when such incidents happen, they are the subject of headlines. If they were as common occurrences as your delusions, they wouldn't be news!