FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1427290 --- 11/27/13 04:51 PM Why WOULDN'T you lock your doors at night?
Silent No Longer Offline

Loc: NY
In response to the article in tonight's (11/27) Times about people being robbed at night as they sleep.

Who, in this day and age honesty goes to sleep at night while leaving there front door unlocked? And then people wonder why they get burglarized. How hard is it to lock your door? This is not Maybury anymore folks. The world has changed.

FingerLakes1.com
#1427440 --- 11/29/13 07:27 AM Re: Why WOULDN'T you lock your doors at night? [Re: Silent No Longer]
sassyone Offline
Silver Member

Loc: Seneca Falls,NY,
I can remember growing up and not locking doors but not anymore. I have occasionally gone to bed early and woken up in the morning discovering I forgot to lock door and was thankful that nothing happened.

#1427466 --- 11/29/13 03:47 PM Re: Why WOULDN'T you lock your doors at night? [Re: sassyone]
Silent No Longer Offline

Originally Posted By: sassyone
I can remember growing up and not locking doors but not anymore. I have occasionally gone to bed early and woken up in the morning discovering I forgot to lock door and was thankful that nothing happened.

Well this is not back then. Times have changed. How anyone can go to bed at night and forget to lock up is beyond me. I think people around here can be pretty oblivious to reality.

#1427480 --- 11/29/13 05:50 PM Re: Why WOULDN'T you lock your doors at night? [Re: Silent No Longer]
de1 Offline

Loc: ny
A locked door means nothing to a burglar. If someone wants to rob your house they will. Windows break very easy!

#1427488 --- 11/29/13 07:49 PM Re: Why WOULDN'T you lock your doors at night? [Re: de1]
Silent No Longer Offline

Originally Posted By: de1
A locked door means nothing to a burglar. If someone wants to rob your house they will. Windows break very easy!

Thanks for missing my point yet again dump employee 1. This must be a record for you.

Of course locking your door will not stop a burglar if they REALLY want to get in. However, most of these burglaries are done out of convenience from homes and vehicles being left unlocked. The majority of the time, these burglaries are conducted by people will walk door to door after dark and try doors. If the door is locked, they will move on to the next house. If the door is unlocked, they will go in. If you don't believe me read the article from the Times. Newark police chief said the same thing I just did. Why make it easier for them by leaving your door unlocked? This is not Maybury anymore.

#1427491 --- 11/29/13 08:08 PM Re: Why WOULDN'T you lock your doors at night? [Re: Silent No Longer]
de1 Offline

I have never locked my doors on my house. I want someone to come in! They are gonna be surprised if they do!!

#1427497 --- 11/29/13 10:33 PM Re: Why WOULDN'T you lock your doors at night? [Re: de1]
Silent No Longer Offline

I have never locked my doors on my house. I want someone to come in! They are gonna be surprised if they do!!

Really? You don't sleep? Ever? Tell me about how you graduated top of your class in the Navy SEALS and how you will jump out of bed, glock in hand as soon as someone enters your house at night.

Please.

All you are doing is inviting burglars into your home by leaving your doors unlocked.

#1427498 --- 11/29/13 10:47 PM Re: Why WOULDN'T you lock your doors at night? [Re: Silent No Longer]
de1 Offline

Don't need a glock! Got a chow sitting right at the door waiting! Has a real bad temperament when it comes to strangers! LOL!

#1427575 --- 11/30/13 09:55 PM Re: Why WOULDN'T you lock your doors at night? [Re: de1]
Round Offline

Loc: around
Don't need a glock! Got a chow sitting right at the door waiting! Has a real bad temperament when it comes to strangers! LOL!

is there a LIKE button for this!!!!
this is great!!!

#1427605 --- 12/01/13 02:03 PM Re: Why WOULDN'T you lock your doors at night? [Re: Silent No Longer]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Ship of Fools
Quote:
How anyone can go to bed at night and forget to lock up is beyond me.

It's beyond you to understand that people (other people, naturally) aren't perfect, including their memories? How sad.

#1427608 --- 12/01/13 03:51 PM Re: Why WOULDN'T you lock your doors at night? [Re: VM Smith]
Silent No Longer Offline

Originally Posted By: VM Smith
Quote:

It's beyond you to understand that people (other people, naturally) aren't perfect, including their memories? How sad.

Funny how some people can remember the very important step of locking up at night. The one's who "aren't perfect" and forget seem to believe this is still the 1950's and no crime ever happens in their perfect little snowflake community.

#1427612 --- 12/01/13 05:02 PM Re: Why WOULDN'T you lock your doors at night? [Re: Silent No Longer]
de1 Offline

Originally Posted By: Silent No Longer
Originally Posted By: VM Smith
Quote:

Funny how some people can remember the very important step of locking up at night. The one's who "aren't perfect" and forget seem to believe this is still the 1950's and no crime ever happens in their perfect little snowflake community.

Maybe it's the quality of the neighborhood I live in! No section 8 in my neighborhood!

#1427619 --- 12/01/13 05:20 PM Re: Why WOULDN'T you lock your doors at night? [Re: de1]
Silent No Longer Offline

Yea, I heard it was really classy in that man camp you live in out by the dump.

#1427626 --- 12/01/13 07:16 PM Re: Why WOULDN'T you lock your doors at night? [Re: Silent No Longer]
de1 Offline

You still working at Hillside?

#1427629 --- 12/01/13 08:23 PM Re: Why WOULDN'T you lock your doors at night? [Re: de1]
Silent No Longer Offline

I don't even know what Hillside is.

#1427630 --- 12/01/13 08:49 PM Re: Why WOULDN'T you lock your doors at night? [Re: Silent No Longer]
de1 Offline

I think you were the one who worked there a couple of times and can't keep a job and your wife supports you! Sound familiar?

#1427633 --- 12/01/13 09:33 PM Re: Why WOULDN'T you lock your doors at night? [Re: Silent No Longer]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Quote:
The one's who "aren't perfect" and forget seem to believe this is still the 1950's and no crime ever happens in their perfect little snowflake community.

No. "Occasionally" forgetting to lock up means or implies no such belief. Forgetting to do so merely means that their memory isn't as perfect as yours apparently is.

From your lofty perch, though, perhaps it's understandable how you "can't understand" that people, other people, at least, do forget.

#1427673 --- 12/02/13 02:10 PM Re: Why WOULDN'T you lock your doors at night? [Re: VM Smith]
young guns Offline

Loc: USA
I leave my doors unlock because I do not want any broken doors.

My cameras will have it all recorded even the shot gun going off
as they enter. They record in color so the effect of blood and colorful brain matter goes flying all over the room. I'd like to get them in 3-D mood.

#1427686 --- 12/02/13 03:28 PM Re: Why WOULDN'T you lock your doors at night? [Re: young guns]
Silent No Longer Offline

Originally Posted By: young guns
I leave my doors unlock because I do not want any broken doors.

My cameras will have it all recorded even the shot gun going off
as they enter. They record in color so the effect of blood and colorful brain matter goes flying all over the room. I'd like to get them in 3-D mood.

Enjoy spending the rest of your life in prison. To take the life of an intruder, that intruder needs to be threatening your own life or the life of another person. If you kill someone just for breaking in, you will be sent away for a long time.

Not that that would likely ever happen. You have to sleep sometime and with an unlocked door someone is liable to slip in and out while you get some quality time with your pillow. Oh wait, I forgot, you are a super badass green beret with all kinds of special forces training who will cut down any intruder as soon as they step foot onto your property. Easy up on the Call of Duty.

#1427869 --- 12/04/13 07:41 PM Re: Why WOULDN'T you lock your doors at night? [Re: Silent No Longer]
young guns Offline

Oh wait, I forgot, you are a super badass green beret with all kinds of special forces training who will cut down any intruder as soon as they step foot onto your property.

Not me!

#1427955 --- 12/05/13 04:03 PM Re: Why WOULDN'T you lock your doors at night? [Re: Silent No Longer]
steeler1 Offline

Loc: Waterloo
I highly doubt I'd be sent to prison for defending my home and family from an intruder...even it is a "warning shot" to the leg. Almost sounds to me like you are defending the criminals.

#1427957 --- 12/05/13 04:09 PM Re: Why WOULDN'T you lock your doors at night? [Re: steeler1]
Silent No Longer Offline

Originally Posted By: steeler1
I highly doubt I'd be sent to prison for defending my home and family from an intruder...even it is a "warning shot" to the leg. Almost sounds to me like you are defending the criminals.

I'm not "defending" any criminal. I am stating laws that are on the books in this state. To use deadly force in NYS it needs to be in response to deadly force. As in someone needs to be threatening to harm you or your loved ones. If you shoot someone for simply entering your home, or even attempting to steal items, you will very likely see prison time. Property alone cannot be defended with deadly physical force. Don't believe me? Look up the laws.

#1428041 --- 12/06/13 10:17 PM Re: Why WOULDN'T you lock your doors at night? [Re: Silent No Longer]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

That's not true. It is true that you must reasonably believe that deadly force will be used against the occupant(s). IOW, you don't have to be acting "in response" to deadly force; responding to a credible threat of it is enough, although you might have to ultimately convince a jury, in NYS, that the threat was credible.

Would I believe, if someone were to break into my house, that he represented a credible threat of deadly force? I'd have to decide, very quickly, in that event. I can say that I wouldn't discuss my decision, whatever it might be, with the criminal, and that if I decided that the threat were credible, he might well not be able to be a witness against me, thereafter. The best thing for him would be to stay out of my house, thus not forcing me to make a snap decision.

Or, he could just shine a flashlight on himself, to help me know that he's not armed. He probably wouldn't, though, because he wouldn't be breaking into my house to be of help to me. ;\)

#1428044 --- 12/06/13 11:19 PM Re: Why WOULDN'T you lock your doors at night? [Re: VM Smith]
Silent No Longer Offline

I agree, I would also shoot someone breaking into my house, in defense of my family. However, you will still appear before a jury of 12 people, who were not there when you felt the need to defend yourself and your family. If these 12 people decide what you did was wrong, you will be going away for a very long time.

#1428051 --- 12/07/13 01:15 AM Re: Why WOULDN'T you lock your doors at night? [Re: Silent No Longer]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Quote:
However, you will still appear before a jury of 12 people,

Only if the cops charge you, based on their investigation, and the DA wants to prosecute, and the Grand Jury returns a true bill. Otherwise, you are correct.

#1428091 --- 12/07/13 08:25 PM Re: Why WOULDN'T you lock your doors at night? [Re: young guns]
young guns Offline

Look all I can say is at 2;30am uninvited,unknown and in your home
I hope you all would do something to defend yourself and loved ones. A criminal has to know what's about to happen if he/she falls into a situation of so in another's home. That they might get shot. So just don't do it go get a job and live longer. Bet they came prepared to cause harm to protect themselves also. Get two mean ass Shepard one outdoors and the other an indoor. Mine are both indoors .I love the element of surprise. They will let you in but not out. I love Bushmasters and K-9's that are trained to protect it's owners. Don't I Cal,Red Green, he so well knows.

#1428092 --- 12/07/13 08:40 PM Re: Why WOULDN'T you lock your doors at night? [Re: young guns]
Silent No Longer Offline

Look all I can say is at 2;30am uninvited,unknown and in your home
I hope you all would do something to defend yourself and loved ones. A criminal has to know what's about to happen if he/she falls into a situation of so in another's home. That they might get shot. So just don't do it go get a job and live longer. Bet they came prepared to cause harm to protect themselves also. Get two mean ass Shepard one outdoors and the other an indoor. Mine are both indoors .I love the element of surprise. They will let you in but not out. I love Bushmasters and K-9's that are trained to protect it's owners. Don't I Cal,Red Green, he so well knows.

I hope those 12 people agree with you. If not you're going away for a long time.

#1428126 --- 12/08/13 12:11 PM Re: Why WOULDN'T you lock your doors at night? [Re: Silent No Longer]
young guns Offline

well I'm not looking for this to happen at all.

So my question is what would all of you do if in situation like
2:30am and a stranger is in your home and your husband is working.

Then you see the shadow of the perp on your hall way wall. Now just what would all of you do.

#1428139 --- 12/08/13 02:32 PM Re: Why WOULDN'T you lock your doors at night? [Re: young guns]
Silent No Longer Offline

Then you see the shadow of the perp on your hall way wall. Now just what would all of you do.

"Perp".

Lay off the cop dramas. That's not reality.

#1428140 --- 12/08/13 03:06 PM Re: Why WOULDN'T you lock your doors at night? [Re: Silent No Longer]
de1 Offline

There is no such thing as reality in your world!

#1428141 --- 12/08/13 03:19 PM Re: Why WOULDN'T you lock your doors at night? [Re: de1]
Silent No Longer Offline

Everything I say is completely realistic and based in fact. You are the one who posts corporate profit-based lies and then resorts to name calling when you are (repeatedly) beaten.

#1428175 --- 12/08/13 08:40 PM Re: Why WOULDN'T you lock your doors at night? [Re: Silent No Longer]
de1 Offline

See what I mean about living in a fantasy world!

#1428246 --- 12/09/13 02:58 PM Re: Why WOULDN'T you lock your doors at night? [Re: Silent No Longer]
young guns Offline

Originally Posted By: Silent No Longer

"Perp".

Lay off the cop dramas. That's not reality.

Oh ok you feel better " perpetrator "? It's not a noun.

#1428377 --- 12/11/13 02:33 AM Re: Why WOULDN'T you lock your doors at night? [Re: young guns]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

LOL...as if any stranger you find in your house at night isn't a perp, starting with trespassing and entering. NOooo...he just strolled in to admire your new living room color scheme.

On thread topic: If you lock up, you'll force him to rack up one more charge...breaking and entering. The more charges, the greater chance one will stick, with a jury, or a plea.

Of course, if there are no witnesses, other than you, you could break that window yourself... ;\)

#1428620 --- 12/12/13 10:18 PM Re: Why WOULDN'T you lock your doors at night? [Re: VM Smith]
I Did It 473 Offline

Loc: New York
As a new poster I must say VM you have the brains that the others surely lack along with common sense.

My friend and I always lock doors before retiring and even during the day time most doors are lock with exception of the main entrance door.

#1428625 --- 12/12/13 10:31 PM Re: Why WOULDN'T you lock your doors at night? [Re: I Did It 473]
de1 Offline

Originally Posted By: I Did It 473
As a new poster I must say VM you have the brains that the others surely lack along with common sense.

My friend and I always lock doors before retiring and even during the day time most doors are lock with exception of the main entrance door.

Don't need to lock my doors. My dog needs a free lunch.

#1429741 --- 12/17/13 12:17 PM Re: Why WOULDN'T you lock your doors at night? [Re: I Did It 473]
Timbo Offline
Silver Member

Loc: CNY
Originally Posted By: I Did It 473

Wink, Wink. ;\)

#1429784 --- 12/17/13 06:01 PM Re: Why WOULDN'T you lock your doors at night? [Re: Timbo]
Festus Offline

Loc: On yer nerves.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >