FingerLakes1.com Forums
Topic Options
#1420860 - 10/07/13 11:45 PM Martha Robertson: Wire Fraud?
newsman38 Offline

Loc: Fourth Estate
Upstate Candidate's Hacking Claim in Fundraising Email Questioned

Republicans are hoping to boost [Rep. Tom Reed] by battering his expected opponent, Martha Robertson, a Democratic legislator in Tompkins County, N.Y., for what looks like an foolish unenforced error: Robertson’s vague and dubious claim in a fundraising email that unnamed Republican operatives had hacked her campaign site.

“Our web manager just caught GOP ops trying to shut down my website!” the September 30 fundraising email says. “I cannot believe it!”

“They know we have less than 6 hours left to our major deadline at midnight! I need your help to fight back. Please click on the link below to help me reach our goal. We are just $6,520 short.”

The email asked supporters to alert the campaign if the link to a fundraising form was not working.

It was.

“Obviously if an attack like this happened, it would be a violation of federal law,” Reed campaign manager Seth Wimer wrote. “If such an attack did not happen, then Martha Robertson needs to explain why she was making false accusations in an attempt to raise campaign funds.”

Robertson’s campaign has yet to respond, despite pressure from local press. The campaign did not answer a request for information Monday.

A Washington lawyer tracking the case noted the lying in a campaign solicitation may be wire fraud.

"If Robertson was lying, she could have run afoul of 18 U.S.C. 1343," the attorney said.

BY DAN FRIEDMAN
NY DAILY NEWS
OCTOBER 7, 2013 8:15 PM

FingerLakes1.com
#1420882 - 10/08/13 07:38 AM Re: Martha Robertson: Wire Fraud? [Re: newsman38]
cwjga Offline

Loc: NY
Originally Posted By: newsman38
Upstate Candidate's Hacking Claim in Fundraising Email Questioned

Republicans are hoping to boost [Rep. Tom Reed] by battering his expected opponent, Martha Robertson, a Democratic legislator in Tompkins County, N.Y., for what looks like an foolish unenforced error: Robertson’s vague and dubious claim in a fundraising email that unnamed Republican operatives had hacked her campaign site.

“Our web manager just caught GOP ops trying to shut down my website!” the September 30 fundraising email says. “I cannot believe it!”

“They know we have less than 6 hours left to our major deadline at midnight! I need your help to fight back. Please click on the link below to help me reach our goal. We are just $6,520 short.”

The email asked supporters to alert the campaign if the link to a fundraising form was not working.

It was.

“Obviously if an attack like this happened, it would be a violation of federal law,” Reed campaign manager Seth Wimer wrote. “If such an attack did not happen, then Martha Robertson needs to explain why she was making false accusations in an attempt to raise campaign funds.”

Robertson’s campaign has yet to respond, despite pressure from local press. The campaign did not answer a request for information Monday.

A Washington lawyer tracking the case noted the lying in a campaign solicitation may be wire fraud.

"If Robertson was lying, she could have run afoul of 18 U.S.C. 1343," the attorney said.

BY DAN FRIEDMAN
NY DAILY NEWS
OCTOBER 7, 2013 8:15 PM

A Democrat would lie to raise money, SHOCKER.

#1420890 - 10/08/13 09:51 AM Re: Martha Robertson: Wire Fraud? [Re: cwjga]
BigRed Offline

Loc: ny
Poor Martha. It can't be easy to venture outside of that ten-square miles surrounded by reality, where democrat politicians occasionally get called out on their b.s.

Wire fraud? Oh well, the last time Martha had a warrant for her arrest, her pal the D.A. helped quash it. Maybe Wilkinson can pull a few strings again this time.

#1421231 - 10/10/13 01:57 PM Re: Martha Robertson: Wire Fraud? [Re: BigRed]
newsman38 Offline

Rep. Reed Calls on Robertson to Return Money Raised

Congressman Tom Reed is calling on Democratic Challenger Martha Robertson to give back the money she raised from a September 30th e-mail to supporters where she claimed “GOP ops” were hacking her site.

In an interview with the Star Gazette, Robertson said her web manager “noticed some very, very unusual activity,” but did not say the site was hacked.

Congressman Reed’s campaign, through his campaign manager Seth Wimer, responded Wednesday, saying in part, “It’s clear that Martha Robertson was intentionally deceiving the folks who received this e-mail in order to raise campaign cash… Robertson needs to apologize and return the money she raised through this deception.”

WETM reached out to Martha Robertson’s campaign for comment Wednesday. Our calls and e-mails were not returned.

10/09/2013 21:04 PM

#1422555 - 10/18/13 12:39 PM Re: Robertson: Wire Fraud? [Re: newsman38]
newsman38 Offline

Federal probe sought of NY-23 Dem candidate’s false fundraising claim GOP tried to hack her website

On September 30, 2013, at about 6:30 p.m., Democratic challenger Martha Robertson in the upstate NY-23 district, sent a fundraising email claiming that “GOP Ops” had been “caught” trying to take down her website, and urging people to fight back and donate to her campaign, providing a phone number for those who could not get through to the website.

That fundraising pitch appears to have been false. The Robertson campaign has not provided any proof that GOP operatives attempted to hack her website and has backed off that claim, the website never was down, and the “hacking” claim may have been nothing more than routine server problems

Robertson refuses to offer refunds to donors who contributed to her campaign in response to the fundraising email.

Now the Chair of the Tioga County Republican Party has requested a federal investigation, as reported by local station WETM

Don Leonard, sent letters to the FBI in Buffalo and the U.S. Attorney’s Office of Western New York asking them to investigate whether the e-mail claiming “GOP ops” hacked the Robertson campaign website violated a section of the U.S. Code pertaining to wire fraud.

That section, which is Title 18, Part I, Chapter 63, Section 1343, says in part, “Whoever, having devised or intending to devise any scheme or artifice to defraud, or for obtaining money or property by means of false or fraudulent pretenses, representations, or promises, transmits or causes to be transmitted by means of wire, radio, or television communication in interstate or foreign commerce, any writings, signs, signals, pictures, or sounds for the purpose of executing such scheme or artifice, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 20 years, or both.”

In a statement following those letters being sent, Leonard said in part, “I join the list of people calling on Martha Robertson to explain why she is wrongly accusing Republicans of illegal acts and I am calling on law enforcement to ask her the same question.”

WETM 18 News has been shown proof from the Robertson campaign late last week that there were at least nine hacking attempts on their website early in the afternoon on September 30th. However, the campaign did say that they don’t know who tried to hack the site, aside from the face it was from a computer within the United States.

WETM has posted Letters to the FBI and U.S. Attorney’s Office, as well as a Statement. The Letter to the FBI stated, in part:
  • It is important to note that September 30, 2013, by no coincidence, was the last day of the Federal Election Commission’s quarterly reporting period, and thus the final chance for Ms. Robertson’s campaign to collect contributions from donors for the quarter. To wit, notice that the email only wants recipients to call the campaign to report a website problem “until midnight” or the close of the reporting period. Ms. Robertson is strangely uninterested in hearing about a
    website error if it is discovered after midnight, when the reporting period will have ended and the chance for a contribution has lapsed….

Ms. Robertson has been unable to point to the particular GOP ops responsible for this alleged website hacking because there were no GOP ops hacking her website. Rather, in an attempt to raise money for her campaign, Ms. Robertson lied to donors, claiming that Republican operatives were criminally attacking her website, intending that knowledge of such criminal activity would lead people to give money to Ms. Robertson. Undoubtedly, donors fell for her plot, and contributed money when they otherwise would not have done so.

I respectfully ask that the Federal Bureau oflnvestigation investigate this matter immediately, on behalf of donors that believed Ms. Robertson’s ill-conceived plan, and contributed money as a result. The actions of Ms. Robertson and her campaign are a clear violation of Federal law, and cannot be tolerated.

Posted by William A. Jacobson Friday, October 18, 2013 at 8:45am