FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1419958 - 10/02/13 04:43 PM Use of firetrucks for wedding photos?
whonu Offline

Loc: somewhere
So I have seen several photographs over the course of the summer where people have gotten married and used fire apparatus from the Penn Yan Fire Dept. in their photos. Very nice pictures, but my question is...who pays for the use of this equipment? Diesel fuel is not cheap and neither is wear and tear. Do the village tax payers pay for this or is the village reimbursed by the couple getting married? And who authorizes the use of this equipment for non-departmental use? What if that piece of equipment was involved in an accident? Now the tax payers are down a piece of equipment while it gets repaired. Just wondered if these ideas are thought out.

FingerLakes1.com
#1420575 - 10/06/13 01:14 PM Re: Use of firetrucks for wedding photos? [Re: whonu]
dj205 Offline

Loc: in my mind
Oh, no......Here we go again....

Usually, a donation is given to the FD for a photo shoot by the bride and groom.

There.....covers the cost of fuel.

That's why they have insurance. Trucks go out all the time, for training, false alarms, parades, welcoming our sports kids from a win etc.

The pictures show the pride that the "Volunteer" has for their department, what's the problem?

#1420753 - 10/07/13 02:37 PM Re: Use of firetrucks for wedding photos? [Re: dj205]
JohnnyNRoy Offline

Loc: Yates County
Leave the firemen alone. They put forth dedication and sacrifice that you wouldn't know a thing about. If I was chief you can bet your A** I'd let them take their photos.

If you want to complain about something, complain about how your local ambulance service isn't covering all of their emergency calls. Then complain about why your county doesn't have 24/7 Advanced Life Support coverage. 1 county in the entire state lacks 24/7 Advanced coverage and you live in it.

#1420758 - 10/07/13 03:03 PM Re: Use of firetrucks for wedding photos? [Re: JohnnyNRoy]
Mean Gene Offline

Steve, that makes Yates County "special", or should I say not so special!!! \:\)

#1420760 - 10/07/13 03:06 PM Re: Use of firetrucks for wedding photos? [Re: JohnnyNRoy]
de1 Offline

Loc: ny
Originally Posted By: JohnnyNRoy
Leave the firemen alone. They put forth dedication and sacrifice that you wouldn't know a thing about. If I was chief you can bet your A** I'd let them take their photos.

If you want to complain about something, complain about how your local ambulance service isn't covering all of their emergency calls. Then complain about why your county doesn't have 24/7 Advanced Life Support coverage. 1 county in the entire state lacks 24/7 Advanced coverage and you live in it.

I've said that for years. You don't want to have a serious medical emergency between 10pm and 8am or you are in serious trouble. By the time Finger Lakes ambulance gets here from Geneva you could be dead.

#1420811 - 10/07/13 07:33 PM Re: Use of firetrucks for wedding photos? [Re: de1]
py.eternal.cynic Offline

Loc: inside looking out
From what I hear keep cutting the budgets in the wrong spots and we won't have 24/7 law enforcement coverage either.

#1420919 - 10/08/13 12:53 PM Re: Use of firetrucks for wedding photos? [Re: py.eternal.cynic]
JohnnyNRoy Offline

The way the EMS coverage schedule looks these days, it doesn't matter when you have a medical emergency. You're never guaranteed that an ambulance is going to roll out the door. Even for a first call! I can see having minor delays for 2nd and 3rd calls, but for 1st call? C'mon. When is this going to become a public safety issue that is addressed by the village, the county, the ambulance provider or the Advanced Life Support Agency (SSMH)?

Our community deserves more and deserves better than what they are getting. Volunteers are being run out left and right. People that volunteer hundreds of hours and answer hundreds of calls are being turned away.

Sad.

Sincerely,
-Not afraid to point it out

#1420935 - 10/08/13 01:42 PM Re: Use of firetrucks for wedding photos? [Re: JohnnyNRoy]
de1 Offline

Originally Posted By: JohnnyNRoy
The way the EMS coverage schedule looks these days, it doesn't matter when you have a medical emergency. You're never guaranteed that an ambulance is going to roll out the door. Even for a first call! I can see having minor delays for 2nd and 3rd calls, but for 1st call? C'mon. When is this going to become a public safety issue that is addressed by the village, the county, the ambulance provider or the Advanced Life Support Agency (SSMH)?

Our community deserves more and deserves better than what they are getting. Volunteers are being run out left and right. People that volunteer hundreds of hours and answer hundreds of calls are being turned away.

Sad.

Sincerely,
-Not afraid to point it out

The county won't do anything until someone dies needlessly! Could it be that there's to much of a cushy relationship between the county EMS staff and the PYVAC for the county to do their job?

Edited by de1 (10/08/13 01:46 PM)

#1420953 - 10/08/13 03:21 PM Re: Use of firetrucks for wedding photos? [Re: de1]
Hank3 Offline

Loc: new york, yates,
Get a life, this topic is dumb !

#1420962 - 10/08/13 04:06 PM Re: Use of firetrucks for wedding photos? [Re: Hank3]
de1 Offline

Originally Posted By: Hank3
Get a life, this topic is dumb !

Why is it dumb? Wait till you have a heart attack in the middle of the night and you have to wait for Finger Lakes Ambulance to come and get you from Geneva. Then it won't be so dumb!

#1420977 - 10/08/13 06:19 PM Re: Use of firetrucks for wedding photos? [Re: de1]
sands Offline

Loc: NY
Originally Posted By: de1
The county won't do anything until someone dies needlessly! Could it be that there's to much of a cushy relationship between the county EMS staff and the PYVAC for the county to do their job?

The only way to guarantee 24 hour coverage is with a paid EMS staff. How soon do you want them to start hiring?

#1420991 - 10/08/13 10:11 PM Re: Use of firetrucks for wedding photos? [Re: sands]
de1 Offline

Originally Posted By: sands

The only way to guarantee 24 hour coverage is with a paid EMS staff. How soon do you want them to start hiring?

Yesterday! Just let Finger Lakes Ambulance take over. They probably do 25% of the coverage now anyway.

#1420992 - 10/08/13 10:20 PM Re: Use of firetrucks for wedding photos? [Re: de1]
sands Offline

Loc: NY

Yesterday!

As long as you are willing to pay for it.

#1421005 - 10/09/13 12:32 AM Re: Use of firetrucks for wedding photos? [Re: sands]
de1 Offline

Yesterday!

As long as you are willing to pay for it.

How much is a life worth? The only problem would be Finger Lakes are paramedics so Medic 55 wouldn't be needed. How is FLH going to like that? Medic 55 makes a lot of money for FLH specificly S&S. Eventually it's going to happen anyway. People don't have time to volunteer with all the training involved. Why not be pro-active for a change and just make the switchover.

#1421030 - 10/09/13 11:12 AM Re: Use of firetrucks for wedding photos? [Re: de1]
deadphilosopher Offline

Loc: New York
First to say something about the fire trucks. Most of those pictures are the firefighters that get married and want to have a part of their life included in their wedding.
Now for the ambulance situation. To those that think Finger Lakes Ambulance is the answer do not know the whole story. Finger Lakes Ambulance does not have enough staff to cover the calls they currently do. I hear the neighboring ambulance districts to Finger Lakes going on stand by and taking calls for them because they are stretched to thin. There are a lot of problems with EMS in general. There are not enough people going into the paid services and as we all know there are definitely not enough volunteers. The problem is that we now live in a what will this do for me attitude instead of a how can I help my community. Also I hear a lot of complaining but no one has any answers or is willing to step up to the plate and volunteer.
As with anything there is no easy simple answer.As many volunteer ambulances have gone to paid personnel to supplement the volunteer staffing but by doing that they have alienated the volunteers and service quality goes down due to it. Also, EMS does not pay well and many people can not make a career out of it when they have a family to support. Just some thoughts to think about.

#1421128 - 10/09/13 05:50 PM Re: Use of firetrucks for wedding photos? [Re: deadphilosopher]
de1 Offline

Finger Lakes would have their own dedicated staff for PY. Of course there are times when they need extra help from other districts everybody does. The thing with Finger Lakes is you know the ambulances will be staffed 24/7. Waiting 30 to 45 minutes for a ambulance in the middle of the night is ridiculous. As far as pay paramedics which Finger Lakes has on every rig are in the $14 to $15 per hour range. Pretty good pay for this area. Also you can not mix volunteers with paid people. It has to be one way or the other. Having Finger Lakes has to be better than what we have now. I'm in no way criticizing the volunteers either. They do a excellent job. There's just not enough of them to go around.

#1421129 - 10/09/13 05:57 PM Re: Use of firetrucks for wedding photos? [Re: de1]
Mean Gene Offline

de1, I agree it is not the best thing to mix paid with volunteers. That being said, Geneva F.D. has paid drivers that work with volunteer firefighters. I think Canandaigua does also. I remember reading awhile back where Canandaigua cut back on their paid firefighters.

#1421157 - 10/09/13 09:13 PM Re: Use of firetrucks for wedding photos? [Re: Mean Gene]
de1 Offline

Originally Posted By: Mean Gene
de1, I agree it is not the best thing to mix paid with volunteers. That being said, Geneva F.D. has paid drivers that work with volunteer firefighters. I think Canandaigua does also. I remember reading awhile back where Canandaigua cut back on their paid firefighters.

Yeah some places it works well. I read where Geneva paid firefighters are the highest in the state for their size city, I think the average wage in Geneva was $49,900. PY has got to do something. Ignoring it won't make it better. I just hope somebody doesn't die needlessly before the county EMS wakes up.

#1423051 - 10/22/13 11:22 AM Re: Use of firetrucks for wedding photos? [Re: de1]
JohnnyNRoy Offline

If some are willing to take off their blinders, they will see several communities that are successfully implementing "hybrid" volunteer/paid staff systems. A few examples right close by are Canandaigua Emergency Squad and Victor Farmington. I will leave Rochester companies out of this but the list would drag on if you counted them. The only volunteers you would alienate are the ones that are not there for the right reasons.

Do I have the ability to volunteer- absolutely. Will I ever volunteer for the regime that has brought a cancer into our local ambulance and community- absolutely not! There are a lot of great answers and fixes to the problems we have in the community, but the key is being willing to change how you operate. Especially when the change is outside of your comfort zone and outside the way you have operated since 1972. There is a lot of great history and great mentors that have served on the corner of North Main and North Ave. However, it is time to give our community what they count on us for. What they deserve, even if it means your don't make as much money as you used to. There is a way to do this and not operate in the red.

Not even 2-3 years ago, PYAVAC was on the verge of going to a full ALS staff with a paid manager. With the intent of providing this community the very best care possible. Investments were made in training several ALS providers who no longer ride with Penn Yan. We're talking significant investments in training. A significant investment was made into new equipment and an ALS vehicle.

But when the "good ole boys" in the organization caught wind that 24/7 staffing was on the horizon, it was SWIFTLY squashed. An attitude of "we're going to forge ahead operating the way we always have and that's good enough" overcame that organization. Those that wanted to move forward for the community were smoked out of the organization. Providers that had been heavily invested in are now gone. The equipment is still there with few people to utilize it. The vehicle has been sold and sent down the road. Volunteer numbers have significantly dropped, morale is as low as it has been in 20 years.

I'm no longer affiliated in EMS, but I will tell you this. If Finger Lakes Ambulance had rights to the Penn Yan area, their staff would increase, their fleet would increase and there would be a FLA vehicle stationed at Soldiers and Sailors. Response times in Penn Yan would decrease, calls would not be dropped as often as they are. ALS coverage would be available 24/7 & our friends in Dundee, Middlesex & Gorham would feel relief of being constantly relied on. FLA does enough transfers out of SSMH that it would be a win-win for them. It would happen as quick as a snap of the fingers.

I'm passionate because I've been there and done that. This can be done, you just have to be willing to put in the work. My opinion is not a popular one, but why wouldn't you give the very best care you could to those in need?

#1423088 - 10/22/13 02:34 PM Re: Use of firetrucks for wedding photos? [Re: JohnnyNRoy]
Mean Gene Offline

Sounds like someone from within, who has an understanding of what is happening has spoken. I don't know all of the workings of what is or has been happening with the ambulance service in Penn Yan.

Without understanding all of the dynamics of what happened it is impossible to comment. Was it moving away from a total volunteer setup that caused the problem? \:\)

Edited by Mean Gene (10/22/13 02:35 PM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >