FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 ... 16 17 >
Topic Options
#1419514 - 09/29/13 03:09 PM The Last Government Shutdown
twocats Offline
Silver Member

Loc: NYS
It happened the last time there was a Democratic president and a GOP Congress. Read about the last time the government was shut down and see which side you agree with. In 10 years, Americans will wonder how the country got by without the national mandate.

When the previous fiscal year ended on September 30, 1995, the President and the Republican-controlled Congress had not passed a budget. A majority of Congress members and the House Speaker, Newt Gingrich, had promised to slow the rate of government spending; however, this conflicted with the President's objectives for education, the environment, Medicare, and public health.[1] According to Clinton's autobiography, their differences resulted from differing estimates of economic growth, medical inflation, and anticipated revenues.[2]
When Clinton refused to cut the budget in the way Republicans wanted, Gingrich threatened to refuse to raise the debt limit, which would have caused the United States Treasury to suspend funding other portions of the government to avoid putting the country in default.[2]
Clinton said Republican amendments would strip the U.S. Treasury of its ability to dip into federal trust funds to avoid a borrowing crisis. Republican amendments would have limited appeals by death-row inmates, made it harder to issue health, safety and environmental regulations, and would have committed the President to a seven-year balanced budget. Clinton vetoed a second bill allowing the government to keep operating beyond the time when most spending authority expires. A GOP amendment opposed by Clinton would not only have increased Medicare Part B premiums, but it would also cancel a scheduled reduction. The Republicans held out for an increase in Medicare part B premiums in January 1996 to $53.50 a month. Clinton favored the then current law, which was to let the premium that seniors pay drop to $42.50.[3]
Since a budget for the new fiscal year was not approved, on October 1 the entire federal government operated on a continuing resolution authorizing interim funding for departments until new budgets were approved. The continuing resolution was set to expire on November 13 at midnight, at which time non-essential government services were required to cease operations in order to prevent expending funds that had not yet been appropriated. Congress passed a continuing resolution for funding and a bill to limit debt, which Clinton vetoed[1][4] as he denounced them as "backdoor efforts" to cut the budget in a partisan manner.[2]
On November 13, Republican and Democratic leaders, including Vice President Al Gore, Dick Armey, and Bob Dole, met to try to resolve the budget and were unable to reach an agreement.[2][5]

And for those who want a little chuckle, remember that THIS happened the last time the government shut down.

Edited by twocats (09/29/13 03:22 PM)

SUPPORT SOME OF OUR TROOPS

FingerLakes1.com
#1419515 - 09/29/13 03:27 PM Re: The Last Government Shutdown [Re: twocats]
twocats Offline
Silver Member

How will the shutdown affect you?

5. I want a new drug: Oh, the irony. The Republicans want to defund Obamacare in exchange for funding the government. But the health care act at the center of this storm would continue its implementation process during a shutdown. That's because its funds aren't dependent on the congressional budget process.

4. Pass the ammunition: Not so fast. A shutdown would affect the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. Translation: That gun permit you wanted processed wouldn't happen anytime soon.

SUPPORT SOME OF OUR TROOPS

#1419517 - 09/29/13 03:53 PM Re: The Last Government Shutdown [Re: twocats]
Geedog Offline

Loc: NY
Law enforcement activities are designated as essential services and do not shut down even if the Congress and President fail to agree on funding legislation. The NICS system will continue to operate.

#1419527 - 09/29/13 08:46 PM Re: The Last Government Shutdown [Re: twocats]
sands Offline

Originally Posted By: twocats
When the previous fiscal year ended on September 30, 1995, the President and the Republican-controlled Congress had not passed a budget.

So Congress hasn't passed a budget since April 29, 2009

#1419528 - 09/29/13 09:25 PM Re: The Last Government Shutdown [Re: sands]
PeoplesCommissar Offline

Originally Posted By: sands
Originally Posted By: twocats
When the previous fiscal year ended on September 30, 1995, the President and the Republican-controlled Congress had not passed a budget.

So Congress hasn't passed a budget since April 29, 2009

Dhey don't need no sticking budget!

#1419550 - 09/30/13 09:39 AM Re: The Last Government Shutdown [Re: twocats]
sands Offline

#1419571 - 09/30/13 01:27 PM Re: The Last Government Shutdown [Re: sands]
cwjga Offline

White House Doubles Down on Fact Checked Talking Point About Debt Ceiling Votes

They really think that if they keep saying it over and over it will become true.

#1419572 - 09/30/13 02:27 PM Re: The Last Government Shutdown [Re: sands]
Timbo Offline

Loc: CNY

Which shows how little Leno (a comedian) knows about the economics of capitalism, which without debt (and lots of it) would drag the entire US and World economies crashing to the ground.

#1419585 - 09/30/13 03:42 PM Re: The Last Government Shutdown [Re: Timbo]
MeRightYouWrong Offline

Loc: Mountain of Truth
Originally Posted By: Timbo
Which shows how little Leno (a comedian) knows about the economics of capitalism, which without debt (and lots of it) would drag the entire US and World economies crashing to the ground.

Wow. Really? And, you don't see borrowing from central banks which create credit out of thin air and then loan it to governments as currency, and thus controlling the value and supply of currency, as the main cause of all the economic problems of the world and the reason for global poverty? You just think that's how it is supposed to work?

What is wealth then, anyway, if one needs debt to obtain it?

You probably think the USA is the richest nation in the world because we hold far more debt than anybody else?

Hey, if you max out all your credit cards and apply for more, then max those out, are you more economically responsible than I am for living within my means? Would you be wealthier than me if you were in debt for a million dollars and I was debt-free?

#1419616 - 09/30/13 07:09 PM Re: The Last Government Shutdown [Re: Timbo]
Josephus Offline
Silver Member

But then again, Leno is a comedian it this was part of his nightly stand-up routine. And he routinely makes fun of both parties.

Stop taking him so seriously, folks... he's just looking for laughs.

#1419662 - 10/01/13 12:00 AM Re: The Last Government Shutdown [Re: MeRightYouWrong]
Timbo Offline

Originally Posted By: MeRightYouWrong

Wow. Really? And, you don't see borrowing from central banks which create credit out of thin air and then loan it to governments as currency, and thus controlling the value and supply of currency, as the main cause of all the economic problems of the world and the reason for global poverty? You just think that's how it is supposed to work?

What is wealth then, anyway, if one needs debt to obtain it?

You probably think the USA is the richest nation in the world because we hold far more debt than anybody else?

Hey, if you max out all your credit cards and apply for more, then max those out, are you more economically responsible than I am for living within my means? Would you be wealthier than me if you were in debt for a million dollars and I was debt-free?

Show me ONE person who's earned a fortune without acquiring debt in order to do so.

You're comments about the central bank have NOTHING whatsoever to do with any of MY comments, so stop trying to suggest as much.

If you think that global poverty is the result of government debt, then you are keenly misinformed.

Military spending is BY FAR the single largest source of wasteful spending and use of resources on the planet, and has been so for THOUSANDS of years.

I DARE you to publicly humiliate yourself by attempting to prove otherwise.

#1419664 - 10/01/13 12:04 AM Re: The Last Government Shutdown [Re: Josephus]
Timbo Offline

Originally Posted By: Josephus

But then again, Leno is a comedian it this was part of his nightly stand-up routine. And he routinely makes fun of both parties.

Stop taking him so seriously, folks... he's just looking for laughs.

Precisely, which is why it was a stupid argument to begin with.

#1419667 - 10/01/13 12:34 AM Re: The Last Government Shutdown [Re: Timbo]
MeRightYouWrong Offline

Loc: Mountain of Truth
I find it ironic how you're against bailing out banks but you support the banking system.

The most prosperous periods in American history were when we did not have a central bank. During those times the Treasury printed our currency and had stocks of Gold and Silver to back it up. Our government even gave out interest-free loans. Talk about Stimulus!

Go ahead, do some research on this. It's 12:30AM and I have to get up early. I usually can only spend a few minutes here at a time.

P.S.
When you CAPITALIZE words THROUGHOUT a sentence it will ONLY make you APPEAR condescending.

#1419672 - 10/01/13 04:22 AM Re: The Last Government Shutdown [Re: MeRightYouWrong]
Timbo Offline

I find it ironic how you're against bailing out banks but you support the banking system.

The most prosperous periods in American history were when we did not have a central bank. During those times the Treasury printed our currency and had stocks of Gold and Silver to back it up. Our government even gave out interest-free loans. Talk about Stimulus!

Go ahead, do some research on this. It's 12:30AM and I have to get up early. I usually can only spend a few minutes here at a time.

P.S.
When you CAPITALIZE words THROUGHOUT a sentence it will ONLY make you APPEAR condescending.

#1419673 - 10/01/13 04:37 AM Re: The Last Government Shutdown [Re: MeRightYouWrong]
Timbo Offline

P.S.

I am neither necessarily against "bailing out" banks nor support the banking system. How did you ever arrive at such a conclusion?

It is highly arguable that the 90s were the most prosperous period in US history. especially when you factor in the sheer volume of affordable products and the broad range of those to whom it was available (e.g. minorities and low income). The same thing applies to employment rates. To try and actually quantify such a nebulous equation is beyond idiotic. It's like declaring that chocolate is the best flavor of ice cream. It depends on your perspective (even though everyone KNOWS that French Vanilla is the best).

As for Capitalization... I could give a rat's hiney how it comes off. Especially when I INTEND to be condescending. ;\)

#1419674 - 10/01/13 04:50 AM Re: The Last Government Shutdown [Re: MeRightYouWrong]
Timbo Offline

Go ahead, do some research on this.

I already have and I've previously posted about this very topic on multiple occasions.

Read and learn.

Regarding Debt:
http://www.basicincome.com/basic_practice.htm
http://betonmarkets.info/news/debt_is_the_necessary_devil_that_keeps_capitalism_going
http://www.realnewspost.com/sa.php?a=53542

Regarding the Gold Standard:
http://www.theatlantic.com/business/arch...le-idea/274559/
http://www.theatlantic.com/business/arch...-charts/261552/
http://www.pkarchive.org/cranks/goldbug.html
http://www.salon.com/2012/08/31/the_gold_standard_delusion/

#1419678 - 10/01/13 06:11 AM Re: The Last Government Shutdown [Re: MeRightYouWrong]
SportsRef1 Offline

Loc: Seneca County

P.S.

Timmy likes to be condesending.....when the forums are all you have and mommy wont let you out of the basement what do you expect?

#1419688 - 10/01/13 07:53 AM Re: The Last Government Shutdown [Re: SportsRef1]
Josephus Offline
Silver Member

I'll bet he even knows how to spell condescending. \:\/

#1419689 - 10/01/13 07:56 AM Re: The Last Government Shutdown [Re: Josephus]
SportsRef1 Offline

Loc: Seneca County

a typo is the best you have?......no wonder liberal run govt's at all levels are in the shape they are.

#1419691 - 10/01/13 08:06 AM Re: The Last Government Shutdown [Re: SportsRef1]
PeoplesCommissar Offline

Originally Posted By: SportsRef1

a typo is the best you have?......no wonder liberal run govt's at all levels are in the shape they are.

It boils down to grammar when you talk at a liberal!

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 ... 16 17 >